Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

doing the obvious posted:

Having this weird bug; I want to try out survival but I run into two problems. First, any new character I make when they pick up the Pipboy at the end of Vault 111, the Pipboy is zoomed into to a comical degree that I can't use it. At all. Second if I try to use the console to fix this issue for some arcane reason it won't let me open it. Any ideas what could possibly be causing this? Fresh install, only thing I've used is the ultimate tweak tool so far.

Try right clicking on it? That zooms/unzooms somewhat for me ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just reinstalled after having not played this game since I think January. I read the last five pages and there is a lot of griping about mods not working. Should I wait? I wanted to try out the new survival mode and some interesting new mods developed in the five months since I last played

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

blue squares posted:

I just reinstalled after having not played this game since I think January. I read the last five pages and there is a lot of griping about mods not working. Should I wait? I wanted to try out the new survival mode and some interesting new mods developed in the five months since I last played

I'm in a similar spot, but the only mod I've tried so far is the campsite one, and it works great. :shrug:

Zelmel
Sep 17, 2004

O brain new world, that has such ganglia in't!

blue squares posted:

Most of the issues should be fixed if you have the newest version of the mod manager.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Zelmel posted:

Most of the issues should be fixed if you have the newest version of the mod manager.

Thanks. I went ahead and loaded 23 mods and all seem to be working

zzyzx
Mar 2, 2004

Is there a way to edit the hard-coded keybinds in workshop mode, without using autohotkey, that'll let me keep using my special-snowflake controls to move around?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zelmel posted:

I can confirm this.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I use the following mod load order to create basically my ultimate Survival Mode experience.
This has changed how I play drastically. I run away from a lot more fights. Landmines, always sold previously are now some of my most treasured items. The survival mechanics are more important, because you need every edge you can get. Every enemy encounter in the wasteland has the potential to go sideways very quickly, and in a number of different ways. You'll find yourself in situations where you'll think to yourself "Getting out of this is going to be interesting and take some work."

I've bolded the ones I feel are essential.

Fallout4.esm
DLCRobot.esm
DLCworkshop01.esm

Homemaker.esm
SpringCleaning.esm
SettlementKeywords.esm
ArmorKeywords.esm

CROSS_CosmeticFramework.esm
Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch.esp
LongerPowerLines3x.esp increases length of power lines
More Blood - Performance Edition.esp
PipBoyShadows.esp
ShellRain.esp
SettlerRenaming.esp uses .bat files to allow you to rename settlers to tell them apart ie guard/farmer/security/artilleryman etc
extendedLightsWS.esp
Open Carry Patrol - Provisioner.esp
WET Clearer.esp
PilesofCorpses.esp
Arbitration - Survival Damage to Player 5x.esp
Arbitration - Better Combat AI.esp
Arbitration - Controllable Lowered Weapons (1.5x Distance).esp
Arbitration - Instant Weapon Lowering.esp
Arbitration - Molotov.esp
Arbitration - No Condition Regeneration.esp
Arbitration - Stealth Overhaul (Vanilla Detection Distance).esp
Arbitration - Survival Damage by Player 3x.esp
Arbitration ramps up the AI so they seem to be a bit more nade/molotov happy and flank you a bit better. Also do more damage, both giving and recieving, although I don't know if this still works since Survival mode has been implemented and what was survival is now very hard.
LegendaryModification.esp
LegendaryModificationMisc.esp
LegendaryModificationMiscRemoveEC.esp
LegendaryModificationGroknak.esp
LegendaryModificationGroknakRemoveEC.esp
Simple Intersection.esp
Dynamic Weapon Shadows.esp
unleveleditems.esp enemies are better equiped from the get go - loot is therefore better straight away
Modern Firearms.esp Highly recommended, the weapons are awesome and do heaps of damage straight up but can't be modded to do more. Find one of these and it equalizes the odds against you in Survival a fair bit.
Companion Infinite Ammo.esp
LegendaryModification2LM.esp
LegendaryModification2LMRemoveEC.esp
LegendaryModificationRemoveEC.esp
Homemaker - Streetlights Use Passive Power.esp
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches.esp
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Ballistic Weave.esp
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - No Crafting Perks.esp
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - AWKCR.esp
Extra craftable carry weight is never a bad thing.
M9.esp
Homemaker - SK Integration Patch.esp
Homemaker - Unlocked Institute Objects SK.esp
ValdacilsItemSorting-00-ValsPicks.esp
CCOFO4 - Traits and More Perks.esp
CBBE.esp
SC_ExpandedScrapList.esp modifies scrap lists
AnS Wearable Backpacks and Pouches - Power Armor Carry Capacity.esp
Cuts and Blunts 3.0.esp
More Blood.esp
ScrapDeadThings.esp scrap those pesky corpses in your settlements!
Dirty Raiders Standalone for CBBE.esp
Well_Rested_72H.esp
AzarPonytailHairstyles.esp
FO4LaserBolts.esp
dD-Realistic Ragdoll Force.esp
NoAffinityCooldown.esp
NoNegativeAffinityNoFucks.esp
Northland Diggers.esp
Crafting Workbench.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Power Armor.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Pre War and Manufactured.esp
Crafting Workbenches - Junk Items.esp
CROSS_Uni_BosUniform.esp
Armorsmith Extended.esp
Ballistic Under-Armor 1.3.esp
BOS Uniforms.esp
calyps-bos-booty.esp
Remove Interior Fog.esp
Farming Equalized.esp All farming crops now give 1 food, like mutfruit.
pylonscheap.esp makes settlement lights not require wiring.
Extended weapon mods.esp
rings1.02.esp
Eli_ArmourCollection.esp
AES_Renovated Furniture.esp
M9 - AWKCR Compatibility.esp
Eli_Utility Jumpsuits.esp
Field Scribe Army - AE Comp.esp
Field Scribe Army - BoS AE.esp
Field Scribe Army - MM AE.esp
DX Adventurer Outfit.esp
DelyteOutfits.esp
Dogmeat's Backpack.esp Craftable backpack for dogmeat, to increase his carry capacity.
EasyHacking.esp Ain't nobody got time fo' dat.
Eli_Crafting Shiz 9000.esp
Lots More Male Hairstyles.esp
Lots More Female Hairstyles.esp
Lots More Facial Hair.esp
ASVektor.esp
BattleRifle.esp
DD_TRUMP_2016_MAKE_MODDING_GREAT_AGAIN.esp Infinite settlement budget.
Eli_Accessories.esp
Hoodless Scribe Hat.esp
DX Vault Girl Shorts.esp
DX Commonwealth Shorts.esp
Eli_RuggedOutfits.esp
AzarMoreHairstyles.esp
BetterSettlers.esp
BetterSettlersCleanFacePack.esp
NewFace_Settlers.esp
Awesome CRAP - Vanilla Settlers.esp
these all change how settlers look and their equipment. Includes an option to make settlers mortal, which I use so my settlements can lose people making it more important that I keep them protected and well equipped if I want to maintain safe havens.
def_inv_scrap_en.esp
Reverb and Ambiance Overhaul.esp
TrueStormsFO4.esp
better sounds, which help if you're snuck up on by critters, and the storms are actually really immersive, loving up your (and your enemies) visability and sometimes you'll get radiation storms, which are obviously bad news in survival because of the way radaway works now.
TrueStormsFO4-ClimateSettings.esp
EasyLockpicking.esp Because who has time for this either?
You Talk Too Much.esp
Ambient Music Overhaul.esp Makes it so you can't tell if you're in combat via music clues anymore.
Pip-Boy Flashlight.esp
Better Vendor Stalls.esp
Survivalist.esp
700_CritsOutsideofVats.esp

CSE_V2_WOTC.esp War of the Commonwealth. This is the cornerstone of my custom survival game. If you think Survival isn't that bad, then this will gently caress your poo poo right the hell up. If you make it from the Vault to activate Sanctuarys' workshop without dying at least once, you're doing very well. Adds enemy spawns all over the map, and increases enemy numbers. It is unforgivingly brutal. It also adds story faction spawns too, and all the spawn settings and timings are customisable via an item dropped into your Aid tab in your inventory. I recommend using the default to low settings for most everything, with a 50% chance of having random number sized mob spawns. This also adds friendly story faction squads to patrol happy settlements.

PlayerHomes.esp
Weaponsmith Extended.esp
M82a.esp
Glowing Eyes.esp
OWR.esp not a must have, it's Old World Radio, which adds a heap of really, really good radio stations.
Conquest.esp Excellent mod that allows you to camp, and then create up to 10 new settlements pretty much anywhere you want, that then act exactly like the stock settlements in every way. Be warned though, if you're using WotC, finding a "safe" area to set up will be quite difficult.
BasementLiving.esp
Campsite.esp My preffered camping mod. Craftable camping gear that you can drop wherever and sleep on to save/cook. Easier to use in a rush than the Conquest camping stuff.
PoliceGlassesStandalone.esp
CROSS_Uni_Headset.esp
CROSS_Uni_Headset_LeveledLists.esp
BetterSettlersNoLollygagging.esp
BetterSettlersMortalPack.esp

Eli_Apocalypse Attire.esp
Unofficial Scrap Patch.esp
3dscopes.esp
Console_enable.esp
OWR_CraftableDecor.esp
OWR_CraftableDecor_SKPatch.esp
OWR_CraftableRadios.esp
Strong Back.esp This makes it so each level of the strong back perk also makes worn armours weigh less while worn.
ImmersiveFastTravel.esp This adds several craftable vehicles that can be placed in your settlements that then allow you to fast travel to any other owned settlements. There is an option to make the vehicles require Fuel to use, craftable from oil, which is craftable from gourds and corn.
IFT_NoQuest.esp
VegetableOil.esp

CUTE.esp
CommonwealthBengalCats.esp
Craftable Cats.esp
mk14.esp
M2216.esp
DD_bleu_Ump_Extreme_Lore_Friendly_Edition.esp
HappyPills.esp Makes clinics generate much more happiness.
Crossbow.esp
LK05.esp
DesertEagle50AE.esp
ModularKalash.esp
Weaponsmith Extended - DOOM_AddOn.esp
GatlingRifle.esp
GaussRifleMk2.esp
R91M.esp
M14.esp
SkibsWH77LSW.esp
R91M - AWKCR Compatability.esp
SCAR-LK.esp
USP 45.esp
FallComplete.esp Lets you track what things you have/have not collected and places you have/have not been and quests.
wintermute.esp
ZhannaCompanion.esp
These are custom followers available in Sanctuary straight off the bat. Useful to lend a hand if you want initially, since probably the easiest vanilla human follower to find is Piper, and she is in the city which is, trust me, going to be a rough time getting to. Wintermute has some neat features, I'd probably go with that one over Zhanna if you want to choose.

I'll quote myself from the Fallout 4 thread:

princecoo posted:

I started my first Survival run with War of the Commonwealth straight up. So to me, Survival mode with WotC is the only way to play. I initially dialed that poo poo all the way to 11 and gently caress ME SIDEWAYS but I found that if you want a decently challenging/pants making GBS threads experience, use the default to low settings, with the enemy group sizes having a 25-50% chance of being random.

The trick is scouting and knowing when to say "gently caress that" and run like a little bitch. Sooo many close calls with raiders and having to sprint through the scrub with bullets and lasers tearing up the foliage around me.

I highly recommend getting the Modern Weapons mod too, so you can loot a decent M16 or something. That mod has by design all the new weapons have starting damage of around 80-110 (but can't be modded to do more outside of perks that increase your damage), and makes combat in survival a bit more viable but by no means makes you over powered. I think it equalizes things a bit, since if you're lucky enough to find an AK in a box or something, you can take a raider down in 1 to 3 shots, just like they can to you. But with WotC, there are a LOT more enemies, so being able to drop a guy instantly isn't as big an advantage when he has 8 buddies with automatic weapons.

So far I have Sanctuary pretty well locked down (and happy, so they get periodic minuteman patrols too, thanks again to WotC) and Red Rocket well defended with turrets. I'm now working on Starlight Drive In, with a half finished concrete wall. Only 2 settlers so far, who helped me fight off a assload of ghouls and then a raider attack. I gave them a fancy Modern Weapons mod gun each as thanks.

Coupled with True Storms (for the radioactive storms and stuff), Immersive Fast travel (buildable vehicles to fast travel only between your settlements) and any camping mod (I use both Camping and Conquest mods) Survival mode with WotC is my favourite way to play, hands down.

Oh and I really, really recommend playing with the WotC settings, because by default most spawns are set to come back after 6 hours which is bullshit, man. Set that poo poo to 24 hours unless you're a masochist.

princecoo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 9, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Unless Arbitration was updated to work with the new survival update, it almost certainly does not work with the latest patch. You should use my "create your own difficulty rebalance" linked above.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Man I really love how every other mod made since the CK came out is like

quote:

What I've done so far:
* one half-assed thing that's probably been done before but better

Future plans:
* a million
* other
* things
* that
* we both know
* I'll
* never
* actually
* get around to
* doing

Aceofblue
Feb 26, 2009

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/13187/

:laffo:

It's a mesh shirt covering cartoon-proportioned boobs that look like two halves of a watermelon stuck on her chest. Like, who looks at that and is like "Hnggg yesss" ?

some nexus user posted:

Agreed, this outfit would otherwise be alright, I like the skirt at least lol, but honestly, can you PLEASE start listening to us here and at the least make a separate outfit WITHOUT the tits, because let's face it, nobody wants those melons. How do you expect her to find her son while dealing with extreme back problems? No amount of tweaking of the carryweight is going to be sufficient for those puppies!! So again, please make a less engorged version, if you please. Or even if you don't damnit, just do this, because those things are freaky.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

Unless Arbitration was updated to work with the new survival update, it almost certainly does not work with the latest patch. You should use my "create your own difficulty rebalance" linked above.

Arbitration works fine for me.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
Yeah it seems to work okay for me too - maybe not the modified damage, as default weapons don't seem to have the same kick they used to, but that could just be the new Survival mode making them not as effective. But all the other options (the AI, molotov fix, lowered weapons etc) work great.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
:siren: Mo2 has been updated! :siren:
https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/releases

LumberingTroll fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 10, 2016

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo, this version works for me. I don't know what they did, but it works. Thank loving Christ!

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

princecoo posted:

Yeah it seems to work okay for me too - maybe not the modified damage, as default weapons don't seem to have the same kick they used to, but that could just be the new Survival mode making them not as effective. But all the other options (the AI, molotov fix, lowered weapons etc) work great.

Rasmussen posted:

Arbitration works fine for me.

To clarify, I'm referring solely to the modified damage. That cannot work without an update since the GMST variables that control PCDamageToHP and PcDamageByHP have been changed.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Saint Sputnik posted:

Man I really love how every other mod made since the CK came out is like
Has anyone announced their entirely-too-large expansion project with a whole new region yet? Like adding the state of Vermont, or New York City?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Has anyone announced their entirely-too-large expansion project with a whole new region yet? Like adding the state of Vermont, or New York City?

I saw a mod on the in-game mod showcase for adding the british isles to the game, so

It had a WIP landmass with big plans for quests!

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

The Iron Rose posted:

To clarify, I'm referring solely to the modified damage. That cannot work without an update since the GMST variables that control PCDamageToHP and PcDamageByHP have been changed.

Right on my friend - I'll give your mod a go tonight using the settings I had Arbitration set at - Deal 3x damage to enemies, recieve 5x damage from enemies.

I have a feeling that things are going to be very unpleasant for me. Excellent.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

How do I preserve my load order from a previous MO install? It won't organize by save, only enable, and I can't figure out where it keeps saved load orders. Currently reorganizing by hand and it sucks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

At the risk of sounding dumb, what's the advantage to using ModOrganizer2 instead of the Nexus Mod Manager?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
So has anyone tried Weapons of Fate (ballistics overhaul)? I've been meaning to get back into the game for a while and this looks really good.

e: Oh wow, actual bullet drop. I'm in.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Saint Sputnik posted:

How do I preserve my load order from a previous MO install? It won't organize by save, only enable, and I can't figure out where it keeps saved load orders. Currently reorganizing by hand and it sucks.

I found which file to transfer over, which is great because the new version of MO didn't even realize it had generated so many conflicts that the game would crash on startup. Still crashed after fixing the load order but at a later spot this time, so that's progress. Fired up my old version just to make sure everything was still hunky dory there ... and it crashed while trying to load a game, which is still farther than the new one gets but gently caress me I'm tired of this. It had finally looked like I had gotten over the forced-computer-restart issue and I was looking forward to actually playing.

Falken posted:

So has anyone tried Weapons of Fate (ballistics overhaul)? I've been meaning to get back into the game for a while and this looks really good.

e: Oh wow, actual bullet drop. I'm in.

I tried out the tracer effects version last night and it's real nice, the effect isn't as distracting as I thought it might be and it can help a little with your aiming. I cleared out the outside of Corvega from the surrounding overpasses with a scoped rifle and having to a) account for bullet drop and b) pay attention to where the bullets actually hit the background scenery in order to zero in on my pants-shittingly panicking target was fun and engaging.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really really hate the Power Armor but I'm one of those people who love to explore every inch of the map, every nook and cranny and of course Bethesda decided to give the Power Armor a jetpack. I see on the Nexus that there are several mods who claim to give you a "standalone" jetpack, but I was wondering if anyone in the thread could vouch for one.

If I wanted unlimited flight I'd just use tcl, so I'm looking for something with the same limitations as the Power Armor one.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

So, before I go and reinstall everything, what is the best levelling mod? I don't want to lock areas to my level when I wander into them.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Falken posted:

So, before I go and reinstall everything, what is the best levelling mod? I don't want to lock areas to my level when I wander into them.

This would be nice. Would also be nice to have better balanced guns so it doesn't turn into "Overseer's Guardian, Tinker Tom Rifle, Deliverer - and then everything else"

Unfortunately I really dislike melee in FPS games or I'd give that a shot.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

This would be nice. Would also be nice to have better balanced guns so it doesn't turn into "Overseer's Guardian, Tinker Tom Rifle, Deliverer - and then everything else"

Unfortunately I really dislike melee in FPS games or I'd give that a shot.

You should try my weapon balance overhaul which does exactly that!

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2463/

I recommend either stepping up the difficulty slightly or reducing your damage a tad with my Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance mod.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

I didn't want to nerf anything too much (though some were handed out) so most of the shittier weapons got a bit of a buff, making things generally more competitive. Not much I can do about two shot being ridiculously overpowered alas. You can read more about it on the mod page.

speaking of which, some kind soul donated money to me for automatron, so I'm getting a start on expanding WBO for that!

surprise in the teaser

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 14:38 on May 10, 2016

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

The Iron Rose posted:

I recommend either stepping up the difficulty slightly or reducing your damage a tad with my Create Your Own Difficulty Rebalance mod.

I didn't want to nerf anything too much (though some were handed out) so most of the shittier weapons got a bit of a buff, making things generally more competitive. Not much I can do about two shot being ridiculously overpowered alas. You can read more about it on the mod page.

speaking of which, some kind soul donated money to me for automatron, so I'm getting a start on expanding WBO for that!

surprise in the teaser
Iron Rose, I used your weapon balance overhaul the last time I played. What will happen if I use stuff like the [urlhttp://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11174/?]IF-54 Battle Rifle[/url]? Is it based on the ammo or the weapon? If it's the latter I guess I'll have to modify the file myself to bring it's damage up in line with the modified weapon damage?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Falken posted:

Iron Rose, I used your weapon balance overhaul the last time I played. What will happen if I use stuff like the [urlhttp://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/11174/?]IF-54 Battle Rifle[/url]? Is it based on the ammo or the weapon? If it's the latter I guess I'll have to modify the file myself to bring it's damage up in line with the modified weapon damage?

It's the latter, but everyone makes their new weapons overpowered anyways so it's actually pretty perfectly in line. The only weapons I actually felt I needed to bump up were the sniper rifles (specifically the Barrett m82 and the Artic Warfare L96), and then only because they didn't have mods or caliber conversions that increased damage.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Wrangling leveled lists without a fully updated xedit to accomodate your "wide caliber change" mod = :suicide:

Hopefully in a few more months everything gets settled.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just installed the weapon rebalance mod and I'm absolutely in love with the double barrel shotgun. I love shotguns with narrow spreads, can't wait to blow chunks off some ghouls with it.

Speaking of, having a bunch of ghoul cages outside the perimeter in sanctuary is proving useful because they keep catching these gnarly charred ghouls which give me like 200xp a pop.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Falken posted:

I use this http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/6957/ it keeps things releveling to around your level, so that when you go back to areas its not piss easy.

Your Computer posted:

At the risk of sounding dumb, what's the advantage to using ModOrganizer2 instead of the Nexus Mod Manager?

One of the biggest features of Mod Organizer is that it keeps your rood directory completely clean, it puts nothing into the games folder, this allows you to have multiple mod loadouts. It does this with a virtual file structure, works flawlessly and doesnt affect performance. When you want to run something like FO4Edit, you just add the shortcut to MO2 and run it that way, same for F4SE etc. Its UI is a lot better than NMM as well. It can also handle direct download manager links for nexus.

:siren: There is one minor issue in MO2 right now, its using the games default Fallout4.ini so make sure that is set up for modding, or some mods wont load, the dev is aware and a fix is coming. :siren:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Iron Rose posted:

surprise in the teaser

Can I apply this to an existing save or do I need to start a new game?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

Can I apply this to an existing save or do I need to start a new game?

This works on an existing save! All my mods do, actually.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2463

Get the updated version though. Adds a 5.56mm conversion to the Hunting Rifle because someone requested it of me and I wanted to learn how to add rechambers.

What followed was a colossal pain in the rear end but it worked and now I'm happy.

On a related note, my carry weight mod suffers from the fact that you have to, well, update your carryweight before it takes effect. The easiest way to do this I've found is to drink alcohol or crawl into power armour or do something that changes up your carryweight. I'm wondering if I can add a script that does something of the kind.

I was thinking either bypassing the whole GMST thing by creating a new Perk that fortifies carryweight a la strong back, hiding it from the player, and then attaching it to the player when you run the game.

That's not quite as clean as just using GMSTs though.

e:

Mods land on Xbox next week!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/fallout-4-mods-will-land-on-xbox-one-following-far-harbor-dlc-next-week

You can enable console tags in the Creation Kit now.

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 10, 2016

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So hey, uh, now that the modding tools are out, has anyone savvier than me figured out how to do radio station stuff? Because I took a look myself and I am overwhelmed. I'd really like to find out how to do this since I promised on the Mojave Music Radio Extended page that I'd do the same thing for Diamond City Radio...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

This works on an existing save! All my mods do, actually.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2463

Get the updated version though. Adds a 5.56mm conversion to the Hunting Rifle because someone requested it of me and I wanted to learn how to add rechambers.

What followed was a colossal pain in the rear end but it worked and now I'm happy.

On a related note, my carry weight mod suffers from the fact that you have to, well, update your carryweight before it takes effect. The easiest way to do this I've found is to drink alcohol or crawl into power armour or do something that changes up your carryweight. I'm wondering if I can add a script that does something of the kind.

I was thinking either bypassing the whole GMST thing by creating a new Perk that fortifies carryweight a la strong back, hiding it from the player, and then attaching it to the player when you run the game.

That's not quite as clean as just using GMSTs though.

e:

Mods land on Xbox next week!

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/05/10/fallout-4-mods-will-land-on-xbox-one-following-far-harbor-dlc-next-week

You can enable console tags in the Creation Kit now.

If I can make a similar request, can you add a .38 conversion for the SMG? Because I'm never going to use it in .45

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If I can make a similar request, can you add a .38 conversion for the SMG? Because I'm never going to use it in .45

sure but some gun nerd needs to give me a rundown of what the different calibers mean in terms of how I should balance poo poo because I don't actually know and was p. much guessing for the 5.56mm NATO round

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Iron Rose posted:

sure but some gun nerd needs to give me a rundown of what the different calibers mean in terms of how I should balance poo poo because I don't actually know and was p. much guessing for the 5.56mm NATO round

You could say screw realism, but if you want a vague outline, power order should be .38, .45, .44, 5.56mm, .308, .50.

The reason for it not being in ascending order is that .44 is a long round, it has a lot of powder behind the bullet so it fires with more force. All of the pistol rounds (.38, .44, .45) are quite long rounds, compared to common 9mm rounds which are quite short, so they should all be quite powerful (your guns all are so that's probably already the case) but .44 should be the most powerful of the bunch.

From there you have 5.56mm, .308. and .50 rounds which are all rifle rounds. Rifle rounds have a huge amount of powder in them so they fire very fast bullets, however, 5.56mm is a modern assault rifle round, while .308 is an old fashioned rifle round. 5.56 would be accurate and have great range and low recoil, but .308 should hit a fair bit harder. The game doesn't really reflect this because 5.56 is rarer, but the assault rifle does have low recoil and I believe your mod expands on that? So that's sort of correct and with its rarity it sort of needs to be quite powerful. .50 is presumably also the rifle round not the pistol round, and is an antimateriel round designed to destroy vehicles. It should hit like a truck and murder the gently caress out of everything, pretty simple.

The 10mm rounds are presumably pistol rounds but I don't know of any commonly used 10mm rounds so it could be made up, in which case, it's probably up to you how to balance it. I think in game it's supposed to be roughly analogous to 9mm rounds being common and used in a common pistol. Realistically you could probably make it interchangeable with .38, maybe a slightly better alternative due to rarity?

5mm rounds I think actually don't exist at all, but I would guess they're probably some kind of high tech round a bit like the 5.7mm FN rounds used in the P90, 5.7mm is characterized by being very fast and low recoil because of its small size, but suffers from somewhat limited range. I would again suggest that just making something up might be appropriate for this.

Honestly I'd just say stuff the ultra spergy realism and make 10mm, .38, and .45 handle how you like and make .44 beefy as hell because it's the big revolver ammo, then do what you want with 5mm and 5.56mm, make .308 powerful and high recoil, and .50 should kick like a horse and wreck house. Basically work off how the game doles out the ammo to you, and how it already uses it, because it's mostly sensible and fun, it's just nice having the greater variety of your mod.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You could say screw realism, but if you want a vague outline, power order should be .38, .45, .44, 5.56mm, .308, .50.

The reason for it not being in ascending order is that .44 is a long round, it has a lot of powder behind the bullet so it fires with more force. All of the pistol rounds (.38, .44, .45) are quite long rounds, compared to common 9mm rounds which are quite short, so they should all be quite powerful (your guns all are so that's probably already the case) but .44 should be the most powerful of the bunch.

From there you have 5.56mm, .308. and .50 rounds which are all rifle rounds. Rifle rounds have a huge amount of powder in them so they fire very fast bullets, however, 5.56mm is a modern assault rifle round, while .308 is an old fashioned rifle round. 5.56 would be accurate and have great range and low recoil, but .308 should hit a fair bit harder. The game doesn't really reflect this because 5.56 is rarer, but the assault rifle does have low recoil and I believe your mod expands on that? So that's sort of correct and with its rarity it sort of needs to be quite powerful. .50 is presumably also the rifle round not the pistol round, and is an antimateriel round designed to destroy vehicles. It should hit like a truck and murder the gently caress out of everything, pretty simple.

The 10mm rounds are presumably pistol rounds but I don't know of any commonly used 10mm rounds so it could be made up, in which case, it's probably up to you how to balance it. I think in game it's supposed to be roughly analogous to 9mm rounds being common and used in a common pistol. Realistically you could probably make it interchangeable with .38, maybe a slightly better alternative due to rarity?

5mm rounds I think actually don't exist at all, but I would guess they're probably some kind of high tech round a bit like the 5.7mm FN rounds used in the P90, 5.7mm is characterized by being very fast and low recoil because of its small size, but suffers from somewhat limited range. I would again suggest that just making something up might be appropriate for this.

Honestly I'd just say stuff the ultra spergy realism and make 10mm, .38, and .45 handle how you like and make .44 beefy as hell because it's the big revolver ammo, then do what you want with 5mm and 5.56mm, make .308 powerful and high recoil, and .50 should kick like a horse and wreck house. Basically work off how the game doles out the ammo to you, and how it already uses it, because it's mostly sensible and fun, it's just nice having the greater variety of your mod.

This is appreciated! To be entirely honest I'm mostly interested in balancing the calibers against each other, so that power order is quite helpful. For example, what I did for the hunting rifle was make the 5.56 do less damage than the .308, but more than the .38, with the benefit of faster ROF and ammo capacity compared to the .308 and the .50 cal. Glad to know I was on the money there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doing the obvious
Jun 7, 2004

The Y2K problem? Well, I've created a very large microwave. It's about two hundred square...cubic , cubic yards. New Years eve, I intend to enter this
Something else you might could do with the .44 revolver is add a 10mm conversion. There a handful of revolvers chambered for 10mm and it'd yet again give practical use to a otherwise underused ammo type. 10mm doesn't have as much oomph as a .44 but it's still nothing to sneeze at, so it'd basically be the .44's answer to the pipe revolver's .38 conversion.

• Locked thread