Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Count me in for the "volume buttons should default to media volume" bandwagon. It's amazingly often that I will happen to press the volume button at the EXACT moment that an app has stopped playing audio, and it ends up adjusting the notification volume instead.

At the very least it should assume that when you've got an app onscreen, you want to adjust media volume. If it still defaulted to notification volume from the home screen or lock screen I guess that would make sense. But while an app is open? Never.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Uh when did android stop letting you write to the sd card?

I pulled my galaxy tab 3 out of cold storage, charged it up, took the software update it said was out there and now ES file manager says it can't write to the SD card?

Am I gonna have to root it to get this back?

This is some bullshit :ssj:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Lollipop changed the way SD card access works, you should look into the changes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm in 4.4.2 kitkat not lollipop

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm in 4.4.2 kitkat not lollipop

4.4 is where the restrictions went into place. Third party apps can't touch anything outside of their sandboxed folders.

They relaxed this somewhat in 5.0.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Oh poo poo, that's right. I had it much more recently in my memory.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Rastor posted:

On a Samsung phone changing volume has a chevron on the dialog you can press to see/adjust all the various volumes.

Sorry about your lovely stock android phones that lack Samsung enhancements.

I've always suspected you were a loving idiot haha but this seals the deal Goldmine you loving newbie bitch Goldmine!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

4.4 is where the restrictions went into place. Third party apps can't touch anything outside of their sandboxed folders.

They relaxed this somewhat in 5.0.

So being stuck on 4.4 do I have any options?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The built in file manager doesn't have the same restrictions you can try that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'm sure Samsung won't just let something only three years old languish on an OS that's also three years old. That would effectively be giving up support before the first unit was sold and no good company would ever do that!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

LastInLine posted:

I'm sure Samsung ... no good company would ever do that!
I found the problem.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I found the problem.

:thejoke:

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I found the problem.

A stunning display of autism

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:
Alright so this is a dumb question but what kind of countermeasures do I have against my S5 randomly activating in my jeans front pocket while I'm walking and then doing the worst poo poo? Last time this happened I called a former coworker like 5x in the span of a minute, then set a timer to go off in the middle of class. Like I straight up have a lock screen with a pin too. I've just set my phone to lock immediately when it gets powered off but I'm not sure what else to do besides that. Is there an app or setting for dumb people like me?

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

cerious posted:

Alright so this is a dumb question but what kind of countermeasures do I have against my S5 randomly activating in my jeans front pocket while I'm walking and then doing the worst poo poo? Last time this happened I called a former coworker like 5x in the span of a minute, then set a timer to go off in the middle of class. Like I straight up have a lock screen with a pin too. I've just set my phone to lock immediately when it gets powered off but I'm not sure what else to do besides that. Is there an app or setting for dumb people like me?

Yeah put your screen in towards your leg

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

BoyBlunder posted:

Yeah put your screen in towards your leg

That's what he's doing :confused:

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

chippy posted:

P.s. One thing I am missing in Marshmallow coming from Cyanogen is the ability to skip tracks when the screen is off by long pressing the volume buttons. Is there any way to make that happen? It's super useful when driving.

effika posted:

Check out Wave Control. It uses your proximity sensor to tell the phone to do things-- like swipe over it once to change tracks, twice for previous, etc. I find it very useful while driving and listening to music. Free version is fine, but getting rid of ads is pretty cheap if you like it.

I've been using this for about a year, and it's not as good as long pressing the volume buttons, but it gets the job done. I haven't found a better solution that doesn't require root.

Unrelated: I hear a rumor that Droid Turbo owners got soak test invites. Is it that time again? To wildly speculate about OTA dates and get angry at people posting guesses about those dates as if they were hard facts?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

download gravity screen on/off and set it so that it turns off when at whatever angle you put it in your pocket, and have it check the proximity sensor before it turns the screen on

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Sir Lemming posted:

Count me in for the "volume buttons should default to media volume" bandwagon. It's amazingly often that I will happen to press the volume button at the EXACT moment that an app has stopped playing audio, and it ends up adjusting the notification volume instead.

At the very least it should assume that when you've got an app onscreen, you want to adjust media volume. If it still defaulted to notification volume from the home screen or lock screen I guess that would make sense. But while an app is open? Never.

This is up to app developers I believe. My media player does this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm having performance issues with my 6P's slow motion video. The 120fps mode is acceptable as far as final framerate goes, and the 240fps setting results in a final video that's janky and choppy and completely useless. Is this normal? The only slowmo I've used on a phone before was the Note 5, and it did not have any such issues, was smooth as butter, but I used Samsung's camera app and not the Google Camera app which I have now.

I have a sample clip I can upload if that'll help.

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

You don't have any battery saver app (or native batt saver mode) running do you?

E: IO maybe? Do you have FDE enabled?

incoherent fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 10, 2016

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incoherent posted:

You don't have any battery saver app (or native batt saver mode) running do you?

E: IO maybe? Do you have FDE enabled?

No apps like that, I have a pretty minimal number installed right now since it's a new phone. Battery was at ~80% when I took the vids.

The phone seems to be encrypted by default and I can't disable it.

This is a sample vid from today, please excuse the portrait mode since I was just loving around

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm having performance issues with my 6P's slow motion video.

Only fix is to reboot beforehand you want good quality slomo. Not kidding. There is a memory leak somewhere. It's a crap shoot as to when it will be janky so sorry if uptime numbers excite you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hotsauce posted:

Only fix is to reboot beforehand you want good quality slomo. Not kidding. There is a memory leak somewhere. It's a crap shoot as to when it will be janky so sorry if uptime numbers excite you.

Haha of course it is. No, idgaf about uptime, that's a big pain though, I hope Google improves their camera app one day. That's the one thing Samsung blows them out of the water at, not even close. Any idea if there are any good 3rd party slowmo apps out there?

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Why does my 5x randomly need my fingerprint and password instead of just my finger?

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

henne posted:

Why does my 5x randomly need my fingerprint and password instead of just my finger?

Accidents happen.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

henne posted:

If you're referring to to the "password required for additional security" message, this is just a thing that happens every few days if you haven't used your password at all during that time. I think it's three days but I'd have to dig out the source to confirm.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Just received the unlocked HTC 10 today. A few first impressions coming from someone who had a m7 and then a s6.

the good:
-construction is as you expect, extremely solid. i feel like i could bludgeon someone with this. i already dropped it once(accidentally kicked it off the bed onto tile) and not a mark. i'm already thankful for the "uh-oh" warranty.
-the speakers are good but I was hoping for better. much better than the s6 but not quite as good as the m7
-music thru the headphones are amazing just like pretty much every reviewers said. i'm a wannabe audiophile, my most expensive headphone is an audio technica m40x($70) and it sounds awesome with this phone.
-fingerprint sensor is twice as fast as the s6 and much more accurate.
-despite just playing with it one day, i can tell the battery life is going to be much better than the s6 and m7(which isn't hard to do)
-outdoor photos are great, it's probably just bias but the shots look much better than the s6.
-the sound on the video recording is the BEST i've ever had. this includes my sony a5100 mirrorless camera. i'm surprised no one mentioned this. i took some stunning videos of my daughter on the playground today.
-you can use polarized sunglasses with this unlike LG phones
-HDMI out works with a usb c adaptor! useless for most people but still very cool.

the bad:
-indoor photos are good but the s6 was better. it seems like HTC needs to tweak the camera app for indoor shots
-not bad exactly but i prefer the s6 oled over this. give me a double blind trial and i wouldn't be able to tell but with direct comparison I prefer the s6 screen by a smidge
-this thing is an absolute fingerprint magnet(but i also can't stop touching it, it feels amazing just like the m7).
-they block tethering on att despite being an unlocked phone. i was expecting it but it still pisses me off.

misc
-i tried a verizon sim card in it and it picked up a signal but wasn't able to make calls
i'm pretty sure this has CDMA radios in it and supports verizon LTE bands
:( verizon and their jerk whitelisting of devices.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Tunga posted:

If you're referring to to the "password required for additional security" message, this is just a thing that happens every few days if you haven't used your password at all during that time. I think it's three days but I'd have to dig out the source to confirm.

This is annoying as poo poo and made me stop using the fingerprint scanner.

It's right up there with the play store constantly telling me to use Wi-Fi rather than my completely unlimited 4g connection for "big" downloads. I don't know why they don't let you turn that bullshit off.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

..btt posted:

This is annoying as poo poo and made me stop using the fingerprint scanner..
So now you have to type in your password every single time instead of once every three days?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008
Nope, just went back to no password / pattern. I only had one since the fingerprint scanner made me set one up.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

That definitely seems sensible

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
RE: Volume talk

While I'm happy with the behaviour in M (volume buttons controlling media volume while spotify or pocketcasts is open), I would to love to see the ability to control the volume of specific apps, or at least to create groups of apps that would show their own slider in the volume control panel.

I know this is a niche situation but there are games like Downwell which volume you can't turn off in-app, and I can't play it while listening to music/a podcast since the OS regulates the game volume within media volume.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Cable posted:

RE: Volume talk

While I'm happy with the behaviour in M (volume buttons controlling media volume while spotify or pocketcasts is open), I would to love to see the ability to control the volume of specific apps, or at least to create groups of apps that would show their own slider in the volume control panel.

I know this is a niche situation but there are games like Downwell which volume you can't turn off in-app, and I can't play it while listening to music/a podcast since the OS regulates the game volume within media volume.

There are some apps that can do this, I haven't tried any of them out so can't vouch for any of them. I presume that they don't add sliders to the volume panel though.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
I have a 6p and use Nexus Imprint. I get prompted for my pattern backup easily multiple times a day

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

BoyBlunder posted:

I have a 6p and use Nexus Imprint. I get prompted for my pattern backup easily multiple times a day

Me too, and I don't. Maybe try re-training it?

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I've had a Moto X Style/Pure for about 6 months now.

I've been using it with an Incipio dual pro case, which adds some bulk to what already is a huge phone. Although I'm used to it, with summer coming, sometimes it won't even fit properly into my pockets lol. I recently bought a slimmer diztronic TPU case but it came pretty loose, so I'm going to return it. I have two questions for you guys:

· Does anyone use this very simple diztronic TPU case? If so, is it loose around the edges? This annoys me to the point in which I don't want to use it. I might order a new one if I just happened to have a faulty unit.

· Does anyone use NO case at all on the Pure? If so, does it have noticeable smudges or marks around?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I've used no case with my pure at all since I got it in September and it's completely mark free.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Tunga posted:

KeyguardUpdateMonitor.java posted:

/**
* Milliseconds after unlocking with fingerprint times out, i.e. the user has to use a
* strong auth method like password, PIN or pattern.
*/
private static final long FINGERPRINT_UNLOCK_TIMEOUT_MS = 72 * 60 * 60 * 1000;

It's 3 days at the moment, and there doesn't seem to be a way to change it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

Exactly which message do you get? There are different reasons for this happening.

I've heard, though not personally experienced, reports that if SystemUI crashes/restarts it resets the timeout duration and you get the "required for additional security" message. So maybe you have some app causing instability.