Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CARL MARK FORCE IV posted:

So the planned March to Bring Back Uber and Lyft is a hilarious, disorganized clusterfuck.
They've changed the date of the march twice in the last 8 hours, changed the time from 4PM to 10AM 2 hours ago, & still haven't reached a consensus on where everybody will meet up.

lmao

So who has friends going to this? I have three. Two are grade-A assholes and the third is hopelessly naive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

litany of gulps posted:

I think the native view here is "you'd have been shocked to see it ten years ago" - even just five years. No poo poo there's traffic, the growth is astounding. Austin and San Antonio are rapidly becoming one continuous entity. The rural is now the suburban. Much has changed, and it has changed quickly.
It's crazy looking at the growth of the Greater San Antonio/San Antonio–New Braunfels population:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater_San_Antonio
1990: 1,407,745
2000: 1,711,703
2010: 2,142,508
2015: 2,384,075

Recession? Nah, we've just been expanding by more than 300,000 people each decade with no sign of stopping.

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I hadn't made the I-35 corridor trip between the two in about 5 years before I moved here so in 2014 I did and wow, when did Kyle and Buda become full fledged cities? Stuff like that, right? Another bit of writing on the wall: The cities of Kyle, San Marcos, Buda, Austin and San Antonio have been having meetings to devise a regional authority of some kind to start that process of becoming one big megalopolis, so that does seem to be how things are evolving.
My parents were absolutely astonished to see what's happened to Buda. They remember it being a little hole in the wall, not the hub it's become now. It's also amazing to see just how far we have to drive to get out of visibly populated areas every time we go on vacation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Backwardness: democracy in action
Innovation: always letting corporations have their ways

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

VH4Ever posted:

Yeah I hadn't made the I-35 corridor trip between the two in about 5 years before I moved here so in 2014 I did and wow, when did Kyle and Buda become full fledged cities? Stuff like that, right? Another bit of writing on the wall: The cities of Kyle, San Marcos, Buda, Austin and San Antonio have been having meetings to devise a regional authority of some kind to start that process of becoming one big megalopolis, so that does seem to be how things are evolving.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

One year left until I graduate and can move somewhere where the population holds steady and the weather doesn't give me permanent swamp-rear end. I can't wait

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
Are you still planning on SE Asia, because I have some bad news for you.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

No. Somewhere above the Mason Dixon line. Perhaps Oregon

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

VH4Ever posted:

I may have been a bit too vehement with my response. Let's put it this way: the reason Austinites hate Californians is because they brought their traffic problems with them.

Blaming Californians for the traffic problem is dumb. Austinites brought it on themselves by not properly planning their rapidly expanding city.

The most insufferable part about Californians in Texas is how they always complain about Tex-Mex. They usually can't give a reason why they think Cal-Mex is better but let you know it is every time someone wants to eat Tex-Mex.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

Spacebump posted:

Blaming Californians for the traffic problem is dumb. Austinites brought it on themselves by not properly planning their rapidly expanding city.

To be fair, there is only so much you can do when your city expands this fast.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Ya Californians are scapegoated for all these problems when the population of incoming Calis is rather small. It's more techies from the Bay Area that are deserving of a bad rap.

And I'm not even trying to bash the Bay Area. I have extended family* there. Most of the Bay Area techies are not even originally from the Bay Area! Even Bay Area locals complain about the techies. Oh they hate them so.

* they're food & wine snobs though lolol :cmon:

Spacebump posted:

The most insufferable part about Californians in Texas is how they always complain about Tex-Mex. They usually can't give a reason why they think Cal-Mex is better but let you know it is every time someone wants to eat Tex-Mex.
People misunderstand Tex-Mex. It's a giant plate of meat, beans and rice and you stuff your face with it until you want to explode. With some sherbet after if you go to Matt's El Rancho. It's not complicated.

And we grew up on it and we loving love it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 10, 2016

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Thermos H Christ posted:

To be fair, there is only so much you can do when your city expands this fast.

Yeah, you could be Denver, where not only are we willing to suck any company's dick to bring them here but not spend a dime on transportation or when we do, we get lied to by our transportation administration and then get the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ when people call them on it. No I'm not bitter about the only major road from Denver to Boulder, why do you ask?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blue squares posted:

No. Somewhere above the Mason Dixon line. Perhaps Oregon

Be warned that only about 5% of Oregon homes have air conditioning. And they need it these days.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RevKrule posted:

Yeah, you could be Denver, where not only are we willing to suck any company's dick to bring them here but not spend a dime on transportation or when we do, we get lied to by our transportation administration and then get the ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ when people call them on it. No I'm not bitter about the only major road from Denver to Boulder, why do you ask?

I've lived in both Denver and Austin. Public transit is significantly better in Denver.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Every development in Austin follows the same pattern:

1. Company want to build in X area.
2. X area can handle 5k more cars.
3. Company is going to add 15k more cars.
4. City okays it anyways.
5. 10 years later, city begins to consider addressing the issue.

What a surprise the traffic sucks.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

There are lot of screwed up things about Houston/incorporated, but at least you don't have to worry about parking or traffic for the most part (assuming you avoid the extremely out of date 45 forever like you should).

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
$62 million in taxpayer funds to be spent on a high school football stadium in exactly the city you'd expect. :patriot:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Spacebump posted:

The topping on that poo poo enchilada is that the Tex-Mex in Austin is not even that good, is way too overpriced, and their tortilla chips are as thin as onion skin and can't handle scooping and dipping. Finding hole in the wall Tex-Mex joints on the east side gets harder and harder because they're getting pushed out. Let alone finding one that actually makes their own tortillas and or frijoles rancheros and or refried variety. :cmon:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Hopefully they don't choose the same architect that Allen did.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Jiro posted:

The topping on that poo poo enchilada is that the Tex-Mex in Austin is not even that good, is way too overpriced, and their tortilla chips are as thin as onion skin and can't handle scooping and dipping. Finding hole in the wall Tex-Mex joints on the east side gets harder and harder because they're getting pushed out. Let alone finding one that actually makes their own tortillas and or frijoles rancheros and or refried variety. :cmon:

I will say that I do seem to have better Tex-Mex when I go down to San Antonio to visit friends so that makes sense. So it's an Austin problem specifically, eh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ohhh, Grandma! Wait that's not grandma that's current member of the Texas House Debbie Riddle.

Departing because she lost a primary member of the Texas House Debbie Riddle :smug:

Anyway if you don't know about her read her wikipedia page she's been embarrassing the state for a number of years now.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Dan Patrick remains an rear end.

quote:

AUSTIN — Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick on Monday called for Fort Worth parents to oust Kent Scribner from his job, after the superintendent included more protections for transgender students in the school district’s policies.

“Without any discussion with parents, board members, principals, and other community leaders, Dr. Scribner’s unilateral action, underscores this lack of fitness to hold his position as superintendent,” Patrick said in a prepared statement. “I call upon the parents within the Fort Worth ISD to take immediate steps to repeal this stealthy scheme and remove Dr. Scribner from his post.”

Lege here we come! I hope that everyone loves hearing the state lawmakers talk about how if they could they would sneak into women's bathrooms.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

Dan Patrick remains an rear end.

Lege here we come! I hope that everyone loves hearing the state lawmakers talk about how if they could they would sneak into women's bathrooms.

Hopefully social conservatives will feel too salty to do anything but go home and mope because they aren't going to have a single one of their red meat issues pandered to this cycle.

Also Bill Hammond/TAB draws a lot of water around the capitol and business so far has been totally against these religious freedom and anti-LGBT bills.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

In Allen, the $60 million figure also included a new theater, a news production studio, and a student-run kitchen. All of these provided cool opportunities for kids who don't do football. I wonder if McKinney is doing the same

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

blue squares posted:

In Allen, the $60 million figure also included a new theater, a news production studio, and a student-run kitchen. All of these provided cool opportunities for kids who don't do football. I wonder if McKinney is doing the same

The total bond is apparently $220 million, and the breakdown of costs in the original article suggests that all that other stuff is provided for in separate line items.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
I found the point where Texas fell apart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebYYrRPBKc0

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I look forward to the pro-Uber bills being wrapped up in the bathroom stupidity so people focus on the latter as opposed to the former.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

I'm glad I no longer live in Austin. I miss the east side and Alamo draft house bot not having to deal with tech doucebags makes up for it 1000%.

Maybe there can be another vote on a new rail service but we all know the olds will show up and vote it down because "muh taxes :reddit:"

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

BiohazrD posted:

I'm glad I no longer live in Austin. I miss the east side and Alamo draft house bot not having to deal with tech doucebags makes up for it 1000%.

Maybe there can be another vote on a new rail service but we all know the olds will show up and vote it down because "muh taxes :reddit:"

Don't feel too bad about the Drafthouse, they have assigned seating and no more growlers now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Assigned seating owns.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Our fetish for huge, gaudy stadiums that have a limited use is really pissing me off these days. I realize it's money that wouldn't otherwise go to full or even part-time teachers but, god drat, how we can justify raising money for a sports complex when communities won't even consider raising taxes for education is loving mind numbingly stupid. Plus, I honestly and sincerely don't know how much longer high school football will be around. I don't even know how a parent can justify letting their son play the sport in this day and age; and I'm someone who played and I've coached Pop Warner leagues. I'm almost ashamed of having coached those kids now. The cost vs. benefit of letting young boys play the sport is just not there any more; there are too many other team and individual sports available that won't lead to early onset of dementia and brain disease.

OK, now everyone can pile on and crucify me for hating on the official god given sport of Texas.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DMN editorial calling out Paxton.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

duz posted:

Don't feel too bad about the Drafthouse, they have assigned seating and no more growlers now.

I don't mind assigned seating but when we were visiting family over the Holidays we went to the Alamo in Katy and the assigned seat on the ticket didn't match how the rows were labeled. Fix your poo poo, Alamo.

The closest one is in northern VA, 3 hours away. :smith:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

radical meme posted:

Plus, I honestly and sincerely don't know how much longer high school football will be around. I don't even know how a parent can justify letting their son play the sport in this day and age; and I'm someone who played and I've coached Pop Warner leagues. I'm almost ashamed of having coached those kids now. The cost vs. benefit of letting young boys play the sport is just not there any more; there are too many other team and individual sports available that won't lead to early onset of dementia and brain disease.

You must live somewhere strange because I have literally never met a parent that wasn't gung-loving-ho about their child playing football

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
You owe it to yourself to see the pre-show stuff for Keanu in an Alamo Drafthouse, some pretty amazing weird, LSD-induced cat poo poo going on.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

go3 posted:

You must live somewhere strange because I have literally never met a parent that wasn't gung-loving-ho about their child playing football

It's been a constant refrain in the media about "why the NFL doesn't acknowledge concussion data" but there's still enough people who see the large reward as an equitable tradeoff.

The one exception might be Quarterbacks but they don't really get hit all that often anyway, it's usually the linemen whose brains turn to mush.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

computer parts posted:

It's been a constant refrain in the media about "why the NFL doesn't acknowledge concussion data" but there's still enough people who see the large reward as an equitable tradeoff.

The one exception might be Quarterbacks but they don't really get hit all that often anyway, it's usually the linemen whose brains turn to mush.

Ha tell that to Aikman.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

go3 posted:

Yeah, I'm definitely in the minority in regards to my feelings about tackle football for young boys. But, I'm also more knowledgeable than most parents letting their boys play the sport. For most parents, their first real education on the subject comes when their son is required to undergo the concussion protocol required by UIL rules now. That trip to the doctor can be a real wake up call.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

computer parts posted:

Nobody dreams of their preteen kid being part of the meat wall. Everyone thinks little Johnny is going to be a quarterback, running back, linebacker, or at least a long snapper.

That said football is definitely going to have a recruiting problem in the next few decades.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
And concussions don't exist or only coddled liberal babies get them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MattJHirsch/status/730109057097293825

Oh boy look who's running for president in 2020.