Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I always just assumed I could buy a machine gun anytime I wanted at a gun store or online. The only information I have on gun buying is for that one episode of The Simpsons, so admittedly I may not be an expert.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I always just assumed I could buy a machine gun anytime I wanted at a gun store or online. The only information I have on gun buying is for that one episode of The Simpsons, so admittedly I may not be an expert.

The closest you can get is to buy parts for a gun that's relatively close to a machine gun and modify it into being one, and then go to prison for doing so.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

VikingSkull posted:

when it hits the goldmine it's gonna be "currently housing and providing medical care for..."

This sounds odd to say, but it's plausible. In layman's terms, it's legal to own a machinegun in the US by way of a $200 tax stamp and some paperwork, but it's illegal to own any produced after 1986. As such, there's a little over 100,000 registered receivers existing, and supply and demand has driven the prices sky high. A registered belt-fed, heavy caliber gun is at the top end of that spectrum, and a guy that owns one likely has an extensive collection of guns, automatic or otherwise.

Keep in mind that also, statistically, this is the safest type of firearm and least likely to be used in a crime.

e- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uUNL6rW-Ck

These comments are bad even by youtube comment standards.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Yeah a fully automatic Browning M2 is a pretty rare thing in civilian hands, if they found one with the serial numbers defaced there probably isn't a huge list of missing examples for them to check it against, and the legal owner would definitely report it.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Goodpancakes posted:

As someone who has shot a lot of an M2, lol what are you going to do with it under your bed? You are shooting that off of a huge rear end heavy as poo poo tripod at best. It's gonna take you 10 minutes at least to be able to aim and shoot it.

Not if you're the most electifying man in action figure tie-ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO137EdvSTg

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

The closest you can get is to buy parts for a gun that's relatively close to a machine gun and modify it into being one, and then go to prison for doing so.

This is bullshit brb going to occupy a local national park about it

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Y'know, we were wondering what the heaviest weapons these chucklefucks would have access to during the Occupation, and during one stream we saw some guys messing with something that almost looked like a tripod.

And now it turns out one of their groupies actually had a goddamned automatic M2. :stonklol:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Young Freud posted:

Well, you can "own" a machine gun produced after 1986. As a non-military or non-law enforcement personnel, you would have to hold a Federal Firearms License, usually a Class 3 dealers license or a Class 2 manufacturers license, and you can own and sell what are called "post-samples", fully-automatic firearms that were made after '86 that you use to demonstrate to others how it functions and such. However, those licenses are moderately expensive, like $1000 tax per year, I believe you have to show that you're operating as a business, require letters from a local police department that they have a need for such guns and someone to deal to them, and if you give up your license, you either have to sell your post-'86 guns or destroy them.

Then there's this whole thing with "pre-samples", where former dealers can keep guns made between 1968 (when the Gun Control Act was passed) and 1986 ban was enacted, but they are non-transferable, meaning you can't sell them to another civilian. They can be transferred via estate transfer if you have proof of ownership paperwork, but if there's no paperwork, your only options are cutting the receiver group and selling it for parts or giving it to the police to handle (either using it or destroying it) or donating it to a museum.

This is accurate, but I was more referring to the average civilian collector. Actually reading the article a bit better, the owner in question was a manufacturer most likely, but again, I was just talking normal people for the sake of simplicity.

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

These comments are bad even by youtube comment standards.

lol yeah they are

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Final a Trump take their coats moment that was good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
So I'm excited for tomorrow. We're due a 10-15 page brief from Ammon Bundy regarding jurisdiction. It was originally due last week but he got an extension to today for travel.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Knight posted:

Gavin is the epitome of a Wound Collector, going out of his way to create opportunities where he is slighted so he can come back with a story of how much he's suffered in life.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/spycatcher/201304/wound-collectors
Huh, I learned a new and very interesting term today. Cool.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Y'know, we were wondering what the heaviest weapons these chucklefucks would have access to during the Occupation, and during one stream we saw some guys messing with something that almost looked like a tripod.

And now it turns out one of their groupies actually had a goddamned automatic M2. :stonklol:

jetliners beware lol shoulder thing that goes up

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The thing about being behind an M2 when you're on the defensive is that you've got the same odds as the watchtower snipers, which is to say the first rounds fired are to take you out

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

thats understandable. The militia nuts are a loose canons who trump would have little control over. Say some of them take over another place and do it in his name and there are reports of some of them meeting him, he would be hosed.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Trump is shooting for the top position in the government, so there is zero benefit to pandering to people that don't believe in government.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Epic High Five posted:

The thing about being behind an M2 when you're on the defensive is that you've got the same odds as the watchtower snipers, which is to say the first rounds fired are to take you out

I'm less worried about one of these nutfucks trying to hVe another gubmint standoff and more one of them having the connections to get one and then driving to time square and opening up on a crowd because they aren't getting as much attention as brown Isis

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats understandable. The militia nuts are a loose canons who trump would have little control over. Say some of them take over another place and do it in his name and there are reports of some of them meeting him, he would be hosed.

Trump Campaign Official Praises ‘Great Success’ Of Bundy Standoff

Talking Points Memo posted:

“It’s my intention to ensure that he has the whole story,” [Jerry DeLemus] said. “I think it'll really arouse him, and once he understands, I wouldn't be surprised to see him heading out West."

DeLemus is no stranger to controversial far-right causes. In June 2015, he planned a “draw Muhammad” contest after a shooting on a similar event in Garland, Texas – a pet project that also brought Jon Ritzheimer, an organizer of the Oregon occupation, into the limelight.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Ammon Bundy had intended refuge occupation to end up in civil court, lawyers say

quote:

Ammon Bundy led the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge intending to force a civil court to take up the constitutionality of federal land management policy, his lawyers contend in new court papers filed Monday.

He had expected the government to issue an eviction or ejection claim instead of arresting and indicting the occupiers on federal charges in criminal court.

But as he now sits in a Multnomah County jail facing conspiracy and weapons allegations, he's asking the court to dismiss the indictments, arguing that the federal government lacks jurisdiction over the land that includes the wildlife sanctuary in eastern Oregon's Harney County.

"The Malheur protest was aimed at raising this issue,'' his lawyers Mike Arnold and Lissa Casey wrote in the court documents. "Defendant Ammon Bundy organized his fellow citizens in protest of the expansive and unsupported interpretation of the Constitution that purports to allow the federal government to own and control more territory, and exercise jurisdiction over more land in the Western States, than the States themselves.''

Bundy, 40, is one of 27 people facing federal indictment stemming from the 41-day occupation of the refuge outside Burns. He's pleaded not guilty to charges of conspiring to impede federal officers from doing work at the refuge through intimidation, threats or force, possession of a firearm or dangerous weapon at a federal facility and using and carrying a firearm in the course of a violent crime.

His lawyers assert that Bundy isn't a member of any militia, isn't an extremist and doesn't hold anti-government views -- underlining each contention in bold type in their 33-page motion and memorandum filled with lengthy footnotes.

They characterize Bundy as a constitutional originalist who adheres to similar philosophies as U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, the late Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and Supreme Court nominee Robert Bork. They contend Bundy didn't lead an armed takeover of the refuge, but organized an "act of civil disobedience'' to lay claim to the land.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNiW2FRHr9o

This isn't even a defense, it's just 33 pages of them begging the court to drop the charges because something something Scalia something BLM you're not my real dad

Knight has issued a correction as of 04:45 on May 10, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Any non-SovCit lawyer would require a heroic amount of willpower to read this without their eyes rolling out of their heads.

On the plus side, I think this proves that jail has had something of a humbling effect on Bundy. At least now he realizes that he should deny that he wanted revolution. He's still an arrogant idiot, but he's not completely convinced that he's invincible.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

When this thread was talking about prison cake I looked up facts about prison meals (since here in the south we basically feed prisoners moldy and rotten food that costs fractions of a cent per day) and found out that Subway spokesman and noted pedophile Jared Fogle has gained most of his weight back eating prison cake and sobbing, and he got bitch slapped by a prisoner and ran crying out of the prison gym.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The thing about prison food is that while poo poo quality, it's calorie dense

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

When this thread was talking about prison cake I looked up facts about prison meals (since here in the south we basically feed prisoners moldy and rotten food that costs fractions of a cent per day) and found out that Subway spokesman and noted pedophile Jared Fogle has gained most of his weight back eating prison cake and sobbing, and he got bitch slapped by a prisoner and ran crying out of the prison gym.

The system works.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Knight posted:

Ammon Bundy had intended refuge occupation to end up in civil court, lawyers say

This isn't even a defense, it's just 33 pages of them begging the court to drop the charges because something something Scalia something BLM you're not my real dad

That makes a small amount of sense, albeit .01%. Pretty much every time someone squats on someone else's land, they aren't arrested for trespassing and it goes to the courts/sheriff as an eviction matter. It's completely discretionary for how the system treats it, and since these guys actually thought they'd have others on their side, I can see the logic in thinking this.

I did eviction crap for a living, including of government owned properties (fannie Mae) and sovcits that would break in, bar the door and whatnot would get treated with kid gloves. He probably heard stories like that from all over the country within the sovcit movement.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 15:16 on May 10, 2016

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

mastershakeman posted:

That makes a small amount of sense, albeit .01%. Pretty much every time someone squats on someone else's land, they aren't arrested for trespassing and it goes to the courts/sheriff as an eviction matter. It's completely discretionary for how the system treats it, and since these guys actually thought they'd have others on their side, I can see the logic in thinking this.

I did eviction crap for a living, including of government owned properties (fannie Mae) and sovcits that would break in, bar the door and whatnot would get treated with kid gloves. He probably heard stories like that from all over the country within the sovcit movement.
I admit I'm much less informed on evictions, but I thought one had to establish legal residence to be evicted, otherwise it would just be criminal trespassing. Could their 40 days actually have counted as established residence?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

That's a great legal defence. We could have just filed this suit with the court, but instead we stocked up on guns and occupied federal land and threatened a bunch of people.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Knight posted:

I admit I'm much less informed on evictions, but I thought one had to establish legal residence to be evicted, otherwise it would just be criminal trespassing. Could their 40 days actually have counted as established residence?

Technically in most US jurisdictions if you can manage to squat in a place for long enough (in Oregon this time frame is 10 years) without being evicted/arrested you can take legal possession of it. I honestly doubt the Bundy idiots would of wound up hanging around there for that long if the feds didn't intervene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession#United_States
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/105.620

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Knight posted:

This just kills me because they're all like "we're trying to raise this issue!" and "the federal government doesn't have jurisdiction!" when there have been several cases that have already decided these things (and that yes the federal government can own that land and no your new lawsuit isn't going to do anything that hasn't been done). It's just willful ignorance.

mastershakeman posted:

Unfortunately when you do it in such a way that it prevents government employees from doing their job I guess it's a felony, oops! Also it probably doesn't help when you bring a shitload of guns to the party and act all hostile. Who wants to go try to serve an eviction notice to a bunch of guys who have openly stated they're itching for a reason to shoot you?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

Technically in most US jurisdictions if you can manage to squat in a place for long enough (in Oregon this time frame is 10 years) without being evicted/arrested you can take legal possession of it. I honestly doubt the Bundy idiots would of wound up hanging around there for that long if the feds didn't intervene.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adverse_possession#United_States
http://www.oregonlaws.org/ors/105.620

They would have run out of things to poo poo on long before then

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010
I saw a lifted truck with a Punisher logo overlaid with the US flag, a 3%er sticker and a Marines logo on it. Unfortunately they did not get pulled over so there was no show.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Knight posted:

In Chicago it's whether there's "indicia of possession. ". I had the police tell me in so many words that once people moved in furniture it wasn't trespassing anymore. Basically the case law said once there was a question of right to possession it went to court, and it was up to the police to determine if there was a question.
But yes making a lot of noise and publicity is what did them in, im just saying they probably knew of hundreds of sovcits who got the matter handled in civil court and thought they would too.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Apparently Cliven is suing Harry Reid or something

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/730097995476307970

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Oh my god this loving lawsuit

http://www.seditionists.com/bundy2016civil1.pdf

No sooner than this had occurred, Defendant HARRY REID, acting in concert with Defendants RORY REID and OBAMA , each and every one of them, jointly and severally, issued what in effect were public threats to and made false defamatory statements about Defendant BUNDY and his family to further his under the table negotiated deal to seize and sell the BUNDY ranch and its chattels, including any remaining cattle, for profit and/or kickbacks from the purchaser(s), some of whom were reported to be communist Chinese.

This is it. This is exactly why sovcits exist.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Tayter Swift posted:

Apparently Cliven is suing Harry Reid or something

https://twitter.com/jjmacnab/status/730097995476307970
LOL, MacNab goes on to point out that they think Harry Reid owns the 93 acre lot next to their ranch solely because it belongs to an LLC with "Reid" in the name. The land was previously owned by a Bundy cousin, Laverne Reid, which was then transferred to another family.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
That document is quite possibly the greatest thing ever written.

Following the legal and constitutional stand-off, whereby Plaintiff BUNDY, his sons and other family members and supporters exercised their Second Amendment right of self- defense against the government, and succeeded in having the BLM agents and representatives leave the Bundy ranch unharmed, Plaintiff BUNDY publically equated his and his family’s situation to the plight of “Negroes” in the old South, whereby they were enslaved by a tyrannical government as he and his family believed they were given the threats and violent attacks on his family members, his cattle and the Bundy’s supporters. He chose the word “Negro” believing that this was a proper term for African-Americans, having looked up the word in Webster’s dictionary. He meant no disrespect and insult to African-Americans, particularly since he was equating his and his family’s plight with them. Indeed, the Reverend Martin Luther King referred to his people as “Negroes” and he is recognized as the greatest African-American civil rights leader in American history.

---

41. On information and belief, Defendant NAVARRO undertook to violate Defendant BUNDY’S constitutional rights not just because she was told to do so by Defendant HARRY REID and Defendant OBAMA, who proposed and nominated her to the federal bench, but also to curry favor with the likelihood of a Democrat administration under the presidency of Hillary Clinton.

42. As a Latino Democrat woman, Defendant Navarro understood that she would be high on the list for a higher judicial or other appointment if she contributed as the sitting judge to have Defendant BUNDY denied right of counsel of Klayman, as Klayman has been a strong public advocate in exposing and taking legal actions to address and remedy the rank corruption of Bill and Hillary Clinton.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Sadly, for Cliven and family there isn't a "so dumb and goddamn crazy" defense.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tayter Swift posted:

Oh my god this loving lawsuit

http://www.seditionists.com/bundy2016civil1.pdf

No sooner than this had occurred, Defendant HARRY REID, acting in concert with Defendants RORY REID and OBAMA , each and every one of them, jointly and severally, issued what in effect were public threats to and made false defamatory statements about Defendant BUNDY and his family to further his under the table negotiated deal to seize and sell the BUNDY ranch and its chattels, including any remaining cattle, for profit and/or kickbacks from the purchaser(s), some of whom were reported to be communist Chinese.

This is it. This is exactly why sovcits exist.

So the President and many others decided to attack poor, innocent Cliven because his cattle, the walking bags of bones we've seen, were worth so much to China apparently?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Geostomp posted:

So the President and many others decided to attack poor, innocent Cliven because his cattle, the walking bags of bones we've seen, were worth so much to China apparently?

the land is worth it to China because of mineral rights or some poo poo

it's very complicated

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

They want it for the precious uranium ore!

Because it's super rare and precious all of a sudden! I guess they think you just pull it out of the ground and toss it in a metal tube and shake it up and BAM, nuclear power/bomb

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Geostomp posted:

Suffering makes the meat taste better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Geostomp posted:

Reid wants to steal the Bundy ranch and give it to his son, who will then sell the land to the Chinese to use as a solar farm.

Bundy ranch land is a better choice than literally anywhere else in the Great Basin because reasons.