Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Aw, I'd pulled this thread from my bookmarks and missed a bunch of posts.

I'll be back for my 4th consecutive GenCon, pretty stoked. I usually go with 2 friends but this year another friend got an artist table and 2 of our D&D group are riding up with him. Should be fun to have a bigger pool of RL friends to hang out/game with.

Gonna work on my event wishlist this weekend, so if any other goons are running cool games, post here so we can sign up. Every time I've gamed (or just gotten drunk) with goons, I've had a blast. I'll try to make sure I get a goon event or two on my schedule. Any thoughts on an NSDM session we could try to take over? I've been wanting to try NSDM for a few years now and haven't.

Yay GenCon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Lawen posted:

Aw, I'd pulled this thread from my bookmarks and missed a bunch of posts.

I'll be back for my 4th consecutive GenCon, pretty stoked. I usually go with 2 friends but this year another friend got an artist table and 2 of our D&D group are riding up with him. Should be fun to have a bigger pool of RL friends to hang out/game with.

Gonna work on my event wishlist this weekend, so if any other goons are running cool games, post here so we can sign up. Every time I've gamed (or just gotten drunk) with goons, I've had a blast. I'll try to make sure I get a goon event or two on my schedule. Any thoughts on an NSDM session we could try to take over? I've been wanting to try NSDM for a few years now and haven't.

Yay GenCon!

A bunch of us did NSDM last year and almost all of us hated it. The people who ran it were assholes and they explained the game terribly. I don't think you're going to get many takers, honestly.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Double Agent posted:

A bunch of us did NSDM last year and almost all of us hated it. The people who ran it were assholes and they explained the game terribly. I don't think you're going to get many takers, honestly.

yeah we did our damnedest to have fun, but it was a slog that didn't make any sense. by the end we were screaming for nuclear warfare just so something could happen

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Highprogrammer has scraped the events and has them up now: http://gencon.highprogrammer.com/gencon-2016.cgi/

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Bummer about NSDM but thanks for the warning.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Double Agent posted:

Comrade Rumncoke of the KGB Second Directorate agrees. He left the game to find a bar after he basically had nothing to do for hours, then when something happened that did involve the Second Directorate, got stomped on for trying to act by the staff.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Bought my flights this week, and now we've got events. It's almost gencon time again :haw:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

fordan posted:

What's the site that lets you pull down an excel spreadsheet of the events (once they're up)?

gencon.com, apparently

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Its my first gencon... There is 12,557 events.. Not including exhibitor halls and Demos..

HOLY CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP WHAT DO I DO!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Exmond posted:

Its my first gencon... There is 12,557 events.. Not including exhibitor halls and Demos..

find people and play games

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Exmond posted:

Basic survival tips
1) Don't panic.
2) Think of the one game you never get to play that you want to play. Now find it on the schedule and try to get in.
3) Don't over book yourself. Leave breather room in your schedule.
4) Connect with other goons for pick up games. There's an app.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
If this is your first GenCon, you need GroupMe and goon support, especially if you're flying solo.

Also Nemesis of Moles is a A Good GM, would frown with him anytime.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!
Thanks for the advice! Ill join the group me chat when Im off work. One thing is Ill be coming in from Canada, so phone data and etc may be at a premium. As well I won't be bringing much with me.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

BlackIronHeart posted:

If this is your first GenCon, you need GroupMe and goon support, especially if you're flying solo.

Also Nemesis of Moles is a A Good GM, would frown with him anytime.

We gon get our frown on hardcore.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm also going solo, and want to have a group of goons to hang with.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

8one6 posted:

Basic survival tips
1) Don't panic.
2) Think of the one game you never get to play that you want to play. Now find it on the schedule and try to get in.
3) Don't over book yourself. Leave breather room in your schedule.
4) Connect with other goons for pick up games. There's an app.

5) If Backno tells you to go to a food place, go to that food place. In fact just do whatever Backno says and you will be fine.
6) Pack light and wear good shoes. Take snacks. Take a reusable water bottle.
7) Gen Con gives refunds on unused event tickets if you get to the booth in time (ten minutes before the event starts, I think?).
8) If you wind up at a table with a bunch of shitheels, make some excuse and walk the gently caress away. Gen Con time is like gold.
9) The JW Marriott is not the Marriott, and vice-versa.
10) Choose at least one random thing that sounds cool and do it. I have had some of my best games that way.

As far as scheduling goes, my rule is to prioritize those things that you can only ever do at Gen Con. For the last few years, for me, that has been True Dungeon but I'm kinda over that now. But I still recommend doing it at least once, especially if you can grab a few goons for company.

unrelated:

I have always wanted to play Battlestar Galactica but I have never been able to get a group together. I registered for an organized BSG game last year but did not go because I thought the other players might be asses and also I saw something shiny or was drunk or something I dunno. Anyway. I would like to play it this year. Maybe we could pick a session to goonrush, or maybe someone could bring it and teach. If the latter I'll happily supply some beers or bourbon or whatever to help lubricate things, Colonel Tigh-style. Any takers?

Slandible
Apr 30, 2008

Is there a way to check events for I guess guests celebrities or whatever you might call them? I learned of some of the MSR3K guys being there like the day after their panel last year and was bummed to have missed that.

Backno
Dec 1, 2007

Goff Boyz iz da rudest Boyz

SKA SUCKS

TheHoosier posted:

yeah we did our damnedest to have fun, but it was a slog that didn't make any sense. by the end we were screaming for nuclear warfare just so something could happen

The only way I would do it again is if we get a big group, dog pile one of the super powers, and nuke the poo poo out of the world. Large amounts of booze should probably be involved as well.

Exmond posted:

A bunch of the big ones have been mentioned but I will add some:

1) Depending on where you are staying, when you are getting ready to leave ask if people want to share a taxi/Uber. Since most of the hotels will be filled with people going to Gen Con as well, might as well save some cash

2) Make sure you pick a day to do the dealer hall. Yes I said A DAY. This year they added even more stuff and there is just a ton of stuff to see and games to demo. Most game demos will be short and are a good way to get the gist of a game. The bigger publishers will have a designated area outside the dealer hall where you can get longer demos.

3) I'll second what Saint Gerald said. If you are not feeling something, even if you payed money for it WALK AWAY. With so much to do there is zero reason to suffer through something.

4) When it comes time for you to get food, it is generally worth it to walk a bit farther so you don't have to wait in an hour+ line for food. The biggest offender of this is the RAM. For some reason nerds are all about it and will wait 2+ hours at peak times when they could have walked 10 min and sat right down.

You will hear me (and others) tout the virtues of Loughmiller's. While the secret is getting out to more people, it's still pretty much no wait even at peak hours.

5) You are going to walk a lot. I am talking MILES worth of walking every day. Make sure you are wearing comfortable, broken in shoes. Also make sure you have a bag that you are comfortable wearing for hours at a time.

6) Buy a portable phone battery/charger. Something in the 10000 mAh should be enough. The convention center will eat up your battery and any spot that has a plug will be swarmed 24/7 by bronies. I don't know about you but I sure as gently caress don't want to talk to bronies to try and get a spot on wall.

7) Get on Group Me. This is how we plan things, get together, find games, etc. If you want to spend time with Goons this is pretty much required.

8) If you are coming on Wednesday try and join us for the trivia contest at the Colts Grill. It's basically a giant pile of us getting wasted and failing at winning after round 1. Btw the game we won last year that no one wanted was donated to the gaming club my friend started at the school he teaches at.

Backno fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 7, 2016

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

9) CARCREW 2016 4 LYFE

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004

saint gerald posted:

unrelated:

I have always wanted to play Battlestar Galactica but I have never been able to get a group together. I registered for an organized BSG game last year but did not go because I thought the other players might be asses and also I saw something shiny or was drunk or something I dunno. Anyway. I would like to play it this year. Maybe we could pick a session to goonrush, or maybe someone could bring it and teach. If the latter I'll happily supply some beers or bourbon or whatever to help lubricate things, Colonel Tigh-style. Any takers?

I played Battlestar Galactica last year and it was a great time. There was a mix of new and veteran players but it all worked out. So register for it already :mad:

Syntaxed
Feb 20, 2004
I think the best tip for first timers is to not overload your event schedule. Just register for a few things you really have always wanted to do and then have time to walk around and soak in all the nerd.

You should do True Dungeon although my experience with it wasn't great, it is still pretty cool and it might be awesome since they moved this year.

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

For the third year running I will be at GenCon and prepared to play Microscope, Kingdom, or Fiasco AT ALL TIMES. Will this year see the return of dickpills?

TheHoosier posted:

I tried so hard to nuke someone, anyone.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We should definitely get another Fiasco game going. I'm dragging along someone who has never played and it was a high point of last year for me to have my group go "Man I wish I could play some Fiasco" then for me to pop open my phone, hit some buttons and have 5 dorks appear from nowhere to rope me into roleplaying a depressed drug addict trying to burn down my bosses building.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Ego Trip posted:

For the third year running I will be at GenCon and prepared to play Microscope, Kingdom, or Fiasco AT ALL TIMES. Will this year see the return of dickpills?

I tried so hard to nuke someone, anyone.

I'm glad I got Mother to Russia to land on the moon and beat the Americans. TWICE!

We only lied about it once!

I got a sweet AK-47 book out of it, so the slog was kinda worth it?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I have a reservation at the Candlewood Suites City Centre on my GenCon account that is currently unused if someone wants to take it. Nights of the 4th/5th/6th, 2 miles out.

It's a one-bedroom King Suite with pull sofa. $621.27 for the stay. In case you want "information" or something.

Deathlove fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 9, 2016

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
This is going to be my first GenCon (first Con ever, actually) - and it's a bummer WizKids isn't doing it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
gasp! A GenCon thread!
This is my first one too, going with a nice group though. I think the only thing I super need to do is the LOTR LCG event. Probably won't sign up for much beyond that and just soak it all in :)

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Syntaxed posted:

I think the best tip for first timers is to not overload your event schedule. Just register for a few things you really have always wanted to do and then have time to walk around and soak in all the nerd.

You should do True Dungeon although my experience with it wasn't great, it is still pretty cool and it might be awesome since they moved this year.

The Games Library can be a lot of fun if you have a solid group of 4-8 people, but unless you're super social and like meeting strange people all of the time it's not a very good option and can actually wind up being a huge timesink.

Also, the times are really inconvenient. The 6pm - 6am timeslot is deceptive, as some of that time is taken up by doing important things like EATING and SLEEPING, which are two things you should not forget to do. The 6am to 6pm timeslot runs into other important eating activities, but also a lot of purchasing activities and events as well.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
So are there any goon-run events we should add to the wishlist?

I've got a huge wishlist this year with lots of double-booked slots. Hopefully I get tickets to some of it. I mostly play d&d but my real must-attend event is the drunkass party at the Ram, that poo poo was awesome last year. Also I really want to try a game of Call of cthulu, sounds fun.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

saint gerald posted:

unrelated:

I will have Dark Moon (rebranded BSG Express) with me the whole con if you and anyone else are interested in a game. We had a lot of fun with it last year.

Also, I'm in for any goon filled Fiasco sessions. I'm trying to not lock into as many scheduled events as much this year and my group of friends going is pared down from years past, so in general I'm open for pick up games. I'll check out the meet up group.

For newbies I always recommend the First Exposure Playtest Hall (FEPH) and trying out an indie RPG session.

First Exposure Playtest events let you try out games still in development, usually hosted by the actual designers themselves. Everyone is usually a good sport about constructive criticism and if you are interested in the theory end of the hobby it's a neat behind the scenes look.
Playtesting Tontine (now retitled Dead Last I think) was a con highlight for me last year, and I know Matt actually made some art changes to make the cards more friendly for color challenged people based on feedback from our session.

Fair warning on indie RPGs: YMMV. If you are unlucky you may end up in a session with a creepy nerd that makes you role play magic anime girls (don't be afraid to walk away). But some of my best Gen Con experiences have been indie RPG one shots with a creative DM (Danger Patrol is excellent for this kind of session). Especially if you can round up enough friends to fill the session (and mutiny as necessary).

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

ritorix posted:

I've got a huge wishlist this year with lots of double-booked slots. Hopefully I get tickets to some of it. I mostly play d&d but my real must-attend event is the drunkass party at the Ram, that poo poo was awesome last year. Also I really want to try a game of Call of cthulu, sounds fun.

Everyone join MAD GAMMA FURY ROAD - https://www.gencon.com/events/86959

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

ritorix posted:

If you want Call of Cthulhu, look at the events hosted by Novus Ordo Seclorum. They always sell out, and this year, they're running like 4 a day, plus some special long ones and past years' versions. (In the past, they've done things like Night Train, which only ran overnight and was only for like 6-8 people.) They go way over the top with their presentations, and I'm hopeful about getting into one of their sessions.

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.

Ego Trip posted:

Will there be another building set on fire?
Will a character get their rear end kicked repeatedly?
Will someone get shot?
Will another character end up being executed after spending a couple of decades on death row?
Will there be another terrible idea involving pharmaceuticals be hatched? (I honestly don't remember who, if anyone, mentioned dick pills in the planning session, but it was too good an idea not to run with during the game)
Will someone try to impress their girlfriend by taking them to a "nice place" like Hooters?

Who can say for sure, but the above list is just a sample of the crazy poo poo that's happened the last 2 years when we played Fiasco. So, get in on that poo poo.

Also, Moles runs a good game, so get in on that poo poo too.

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

Double Agent posted:

Will there be another building set on fire?
Will a character get their rear end kicked repeatedly?
Will someone get shot?
Will another character end up being executed after spending a couple of decades on death row?
Will there be another terrible idea involving pharmaceuticals be hatched? (I honestly don't remember who, if anyone, mentioned dick pills in the planning session, but it was too good an idea not to run with during the game)
Will someone try to impress their girlfriend by taking them to a "nice place" like Hooters?

And the strokeweed! Don't forget the strokeweed. Fiasco was a unique experience...definitely one of the high points of last year's show.

mkultra419 posted:

I will have Dark Moon (rebranded BSG Express) with me the whole con if you and anyone else are interested in a game. We had a lot of fun with it last year.

From what I have learned from Google in the last two minutes this sounds like an excellent idea and I would love to play.

CellBlock posted:

If you want Call of Cthulhu, look at the events hosted by Novus Ordo Seclorum. They always sell out, and this year, they're running like 4 a day, plus some special long ones and past years' versions. (In the past, they've done things like Night Train, which only ran overnight and was only for like 6-8 people.) They go way over the top with their presentations, and I'm hopeful about getting into one of their sessions.

Also this. I might just buy out a session, I'm sure I can fill it with some combination of my group and goons.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

LuiCypher posted:

The Games Library can be a lot of fun if you have a solid group of 4-8 people, but unless you're super social and like meeting strange people all of the time it's not a very good option and can actually wind up being a huge timesink.

I thought I'd use the Games Library so much last year and apart from getting my card I don't think I played a single game there. Admittedly was there solo + goons so I usually didn't have a group of people to go in and say "let's pick a game."

The collection is a bit eclectic as well, which can be good or bad based on your tastes.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

fordan posted:

I thought I'd use the Games Library so much last year and apart from getting my card I don't think I played a single game there. Admittedly was there solo + goons so I usually didn't have a group of people to go in and say "let's pick a game."

The collection is a bit eclectic as well, which can be good or bad based on your tastes.

I think everyone does this their first year, I managed to play a random pickup game of Small World in there with two very odd people but besides that the Games Library is a bit of a waste unless you're rolling with a large enough group.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For those without a connected room this year, or any room at all, there is a script posted on reddit that absolutely works. I originally had a room at the airport, then one about 2 miles away. I ran the script for about 3 hours and got JW Marriott, which would have been my first pick anyway. Well worth a look.

The only caveat is you can't have an existing reservation because you'll need a key that you can only see when first attempting to reserve something. In my case I used my buddies badge but then altered my existing reservation when JW popped up. I had the script text me and snagged the room about 2 minutes after it became available.

Kaddish fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 10, 2016

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Do you want to just post the script here or at least a link to the thread in reddit?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Here is the link to the GitHub page:

https://github.com/mrozekma/gencon-hotel-check

You'll need Python installed and basic knowledge on how to run a script.

Here is the reddit thread:

h**ps://www.reddit.com/r/gencon/comments/4clh4b/free_gencon_downtown_hotel_alerts/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

saint gerald posted:

And the strokeweed! Don't forget the strokeweed. Fiasco was a unique experience...definitely one of the high points of last year's show.

From what I have learned from Google in the last two minutes this sounds like an excellent idea and I would love to play.

Also this. I might just buy out a session, I'm sure I can fill it with some combination of my group and goons.

Good luck with that - their flagship style of event - "You Too Can Cthulhu" sells out pretty much instantly. I've got every instance on my wishlist so I'm hoping to get at least one seat at one of them, but I'm not counting on it.

Whatever; I'll still get to play games with goons (probably lots of drunken Codenames at various hotel bars) and other convention stuff. Maybe we can play Horizon again? (I don't see it in the event catalog; I wanna get back on space-Tinder.)

• Locked thread