Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Toxxupation posted:

That's really easy. Cast a nontraditionally attractive, very tall female actress (a Gwendoline Christie type, for instance), pay for a trainer so she gets super buff (aka the Chris Evans treatment), then do a First Avenger and use that CGI and paste her face on some shrimpy body double. Ignore the whole boobs thing because who really gives a gently caress, only gross weirdos will care.

Sure, that would work fine. I just don't think Marvel (or any big studio really) is ready to cast a non-traditionally attractive actor for their 2nd or 3rd big female lead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mazzagatti2Hotty posted:

Sure, that would work fine. I just don't think Marvel (or any big studio really) is ready to cast a non-traditionally attractive actor for their 2nd or 3rd big female lead.

Make Jennifer Walters a different actress.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

From the secret Illuminati casting department:

WHO GAVE YOU THAT JACKET

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The jacket looks photoshopped onto her, it's odd.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Man, if that were Carol Danvers then whoever is gonna play Kamala hasn't even been born yet.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jesus. Looks like they did more post processing on her than the Hulk.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Jesus. Looks like they did more post processing on her than the Hulk.

First time seeing a magazine?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I'm under 40, so yes.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Marvel's strategy seems to be signing undervalued talent for cheap multi-movie deals for their leads which I imagine rules out actors like Charlize Theron and Emily Blunt.

I could see someone like Blake Lively being a good option for Captain Marvel. She's a better actress than people give her credit for and is only a few inches shorter than Chris Evans in terms of physicality. She's not completely unknown and can potentially bring in a female audience that might otherwise give Captain Marvel a pass.

Plus it'd be hilarious to get Deadpool's wife involved in the MCU.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Deadpool is already Black Widow's ex-husband.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blake Lively, unfortunately, has never had an interesting performance, at least to me. She been good in anything?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

She has 3 Teen Choice Awards.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Shallows looks like fun but I am a sucker for shark movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Madkal posted:

No lie for the first like minute of the trailer before Civil War I was going "wait, are they remaking Jaws? Holy poo poo they're remaking Jaws how did I not hear about this?" But then it turned out to merely be derivative rather than a direct remake instead.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

But then it turned out to merely be derivative

Oh no...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually thinking about the potential casting of Captain Marvel lately, and since I've recently watched Continuum, I got to thinking, how about Rachel Nichols?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was actually thinking about the potential casting of Captain Marvel lately, and since I've recently watched Continuum, I got to thinking, how about Rachel Nichols?

I like this.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Madkal posted:

Some people around me at the movie were mad how it was portraying a shark, and I agree :colbert:. I still love the first Jaws tho.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I just don't know how anybody could argue against Charlize Theron as Captain Marvel. She's the spitting image of the character, has the acting and action bona fides, and is relevant (due to Fury Road) without being too big for the MCU. She's the perfect casting.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

I just don't know how anybody could argue against Charlize Theron as Captain Marvel. She's the spitting image of the character, has the acting and action bona fides, and is relevant (due to Fury Road) without being too big for the MCU. She's the perfect casting.

She is pretty spot on casting, I just don't think Theron would want to do it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone wants Charlize Theron.

But everyone is also aware her age might prevent her from being cast. If they're planning another 15+ year run for the post-Infinity characters, they're probably not going to cast someone in their 40s.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone wants Charlize Theron.

But everyone is also aware her age might prevent her from being cast. If they're planning another 15+ year run for the post-Infinity characters, they're probably not going to cast someone in their 40s.

Also this.

Btw, every time I see your post I make sure to watch Titus's whole thing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

This is, unfair or not, probably the real answer.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

She's already having a fully successful career and unlike RDJ doesn't need that redemption narrative to get real famous again, I doubt she is going to want to commit to a bazillion movies of green-screen work.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
There is that and also I am wondering if Marvel could afford her/look to pay her for a multi-film contract.

edit: Holy poo poo I just realised/found out that John Kani played King T'Chaka in Civil War. As an ex-South African that is awesome. I have seen a few plays with Kani years and years ago and he is awesome.

Madkal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 10, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah I'm reading some more Apocalypse reviews and I really think this movie could be DOA. We're gonna have a week-plus of mixed-at-best reviews (and some absolutely killer ones like this Forbes one) dominating the narrative until it finally releases overseas, in which it'll probably get even more negative word-of-mouth. Then we have another week and a half afterwards of critical criticism and bad buzz dominating its release, until it comes out- to Civil War still in its release month (where it'll probably do solid numbers) and, more damningly, Alice 2. Then the week after, TMNT comes out, then the week after that Warcraft (although that probably won't do any big numbers), then the weekend after that is Finding Dory.

I mean, I don't think it'll be an outright failure like the FF reboot was - although it could be depending on how much of Apocalypse's pie the other blockbusters that release alongside and after it pull - but I really think that Fox's early review embargo lifting backfired on them really badly. The RT score is a 45% and that's just gonna drop more and more in the intervening weeks, and it really does seem like Apocalypse was a glorified afterthought to the dominance in the public consciousness both BvS and CW pulled off.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I'm reading some more Apocalypse reviews and I really think this movie could be DOA.

I think you mean AOA

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I'm reading some more Apocalypse reviews and I really think this movie could be DOA.

So the same as First Class and DoFP then? Which were written off by the sage scribes in this forum before they came out as well.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Travis343 posted:

She's already having a fully successful career and unlike RDJ doesn't need that redemption narrative to get real famous again, I doubt she is going to want to commit to a bazillion movies of green-screen work.

If they did get her, she'd be the biggest name Marvel had snagged to lead one of their movies, wouldn't she?

So far... It's probably Cumberbatch, isn't it? I mean, RDJ is a bigger star and he's had a much longer career and all, but I feel as though Cumberbatch at least on par now with where RDJ was when he was cast as Iron Man (decent critical notices, star-defining roles, Oscar nomination etc.).

MacheteZombie posted:

I like this.

I don't disagree that Theron would be ideal; she could be the MCU's next franchise player as Captain Marvel, but as others have noted, in the cynical world of Hollywood, age seems to be a bigger consideration for female as compared with male actors when it comes to casting these putatively multi-picture franchise characters.

So I thought about good actresses who have done action roles, mostly done television work but have experience in features and, well, Nichols looks the part (maybe a bit short? I'm not sure), she's done Alias, Continuum and she did those GI Joe films.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:19 on May 10, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kaesarsosei posted:

So the same as First Class and DoFP then? Which were written off by the sage scribes in this forum before they came out as well.

Those reviewed well.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Man, watching the Deadpool blu-ray and they really should have left the Guadalajara cancer doctor scene in. It's a fantastic scene. Also the extended scene between Colossus and Deadpool on the highway is great. There's a great Green Lantern joke in there that should have been worked in.

EDIT: Oh poo poo, Ryan Reynolds actually helped do the Honest Trailer for Deadpool. Because of course he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIRtFE6aIc

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 10, 2016

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

X-O posted:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, Ryan Reynolds actually helped do the Honest Trailer for Deadpool. Because of course he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIRtFE6aIc

I generally hate honest trailers and the like, but that was good.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

kaesarsosei posted:

Well, there's a lot of different forces at play this time. Firstly, those movies reviewed well- really well. And even if they didn't, if they reviewed badly, it wouldn't much matter since X-Men movies don't have very long tails, making a majority of their money upfront in the first 1 to 2 weeks of release.

Secondly, DoFP made a ton of money off the fact that it brough back favorite actors like Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen, on top of featuring Hugh Jackman in promotional materials. It was basically an X-Men past and present reunion, which Apocalypse doesn't have - and as a result has much less of a selling point for general audiences.

Finally and most importantly, with First Class and DoFP they both released to relatively clear slates. First Class was released to a clear schedule and its week two was Super 8, and DoFP was also released to a clear schedule with its week two being Maleficent- stronger competition, to be sure, but not overwhelmingly so.

In contrast Apocalypse got its review embargo lifted nearly three weeks in advance, virtually all of the early, early, EARLY reviews have been mixed at best, and that's going to dominate promotion around it. You're already seeing it now- the narrative around Apocalypse is shifting from "Is this movie good or bad" to "All these reviewers say this movie isn't good". Which, I'm going to bet, will become the story; like BvS' post-critical release promotional cycle, the narrative is gonna shift from being whether or not the movie is good to it being commonly accepted that the movie is Not Good (whether or not that's true), and the creative team- whether stars, writers, or the director Bryan Singer - having to play defense in promotional interviews, just like Affleck and Cavill having to go around insisting that BvS was a movie made "for fans, not critics". Regardless of whether or not you believe that's true, the sheer fact that the argument had been reframed that way means that the movie lost control of its messaging in a really major way, and BvS suffered at the box office. The bottom fell out and now you're seeing the fallout, with WB scrambling over a movie that should've been a massive success being a "disappointment".

And again, that's a movie with the title "Batman versus Superman". That name has inherent box office appeal, which is why I'd argue that such a sustained series of negative press didn't do more harm to its box office than it did. I dunno if X-Men: Apocalypse has that inherent appeal, even with the name Jennifer Lawrence in its cast list. I would argue no.

Further than that, unlike BvS nobody seems to really care about Apocalypse. This is anecdotally speaking, but from everything I've gathered the buzz around the movie seems to be barely extant. Say what you will about BvS, people cared about that movie, even if they cared only to hate it. You're already getting articles like this one from Vulture (which I disagree with basically every part of it, but whatever) that's tries to figure out why people don't care. If that trend continues - if the narrative becomes Nobody Cares About X-Men - that's super damning.

Most importantly though, is its release slate. It's releasing head-to-head against Alice 2 - a sequel to a movie that made a billion loving dollars - and, I predict, won't even make number one for the weekend. Week two is against the TMNT sequel, which you're comparing a supehero teamup movie that's a sequel to a superhero teamup movie that's a sequel, but it's brand-new. After that it doesn't much matter, but even then we have Warcraft (which might do huge numbers, who knows) and Finding Dory (which will do huge numbers) eliminating whatever week three and four gross Apocalypse might get.

Absolutely finally, it's the expectations. Apocalypse had a budget roughly equal to BvS/CW, and won't be pulling down anywhere near the numbers of either. But even in comparison to other FOX superhero movies released this year it will probably turn up short. If you were to ask at the beginning of the year which movie would gross more domestically, Deadpool or Apocalypse, nobody in their right mind would choose the former. But it's looking very possible - and sure, that's due in large part to Deadpool crazily overperforming, but you're comparing a movie that has a fourth of the budget of Apocalypse, starring a guy which Hollywood at large considered washed-up and insignificant to the impact of the box office, that had a glorified guerilla marketing campaign, that was a hard R, which brought in a grand total of two X-Men in supporting roles played by total no-names. And not even good or famous X-Men, we're talking Colossus and NTW. And yet it brought in forty million more than BvS domestically. If X-Men doesn't meet or exceed Deadpool's domestic gross (which I sincerely doubt, not with the reviews coming out currently and the environment within which it premieres), it will be viewed in some part as a disappointment.

I dunno. I could be wrong, and if I am I'll happily eat my ration of crow. And I'm sure it'll make at least its budget back - but not much more then that. I sincerely doubt it'll break 300 million domestically.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg6n5TBRLJw

Here's the Russos and some of the Avengers actors hyping Infinity War.

CW spoilersI remember at the end of the movie wondering which film was going to reunite them and get them ready for IW, but the Russos apparently intended the end of CW to be the status quo as IW opens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

zoux posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg6n5TBRLJw

Here's the Russos and some of the Avengers actors hyping Infinity War.

CW spoilersI remember at the end of the movie wondering which film was going to reunite them and get them ready for IW, but the Russos apparently intended the end of CW to be the status quo as IW opens

I honestly assumed that would be the case because it allows them to have the now-traditional "Avengers are separated and fighting" drama the last two films had.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

The Shallows could be a really good opportunity for Blake Lively to show something more than her resume.

Charlize would definitely be the strongest option for a one shot movie. Emily Blunt would be great as well but I think she's already turned down Black Widow and has enough options that she wouldn't want to tie herself up in a multi-picture deal unless she got paid which Marvel seems averse to except for RDJ.

Looking at reasonably prominent actresses around 25 that are vaguely recognisable to the general public.

Margot Robbie is probably tied up with DC for the time being. Same with Cara Delevigne.

Alicia Vikander booked Tomb Raider.

Elizabeth Olsen is already an Avenger.

Emilia Clarke is a bit meh and Genysis wasn't a good audition.

Ashley Benson is not quite as good as Blake Lively.

Brie Larson maybe?

Emily Ratajowski at least looks like she has comic book anatomy.

Then everyone else is probably too young like Chloe Grace Moretz etc.

If they introduce Captain Marvel in an Infinity War maybe that'll be enough to set up a solo movie for an unknown actor. Marvel's casting has been probably the best strength of the whole MCU so whoever they pick will probably hit it out the park.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Sure, maybe they'll push it back another year and see if Daisy Ridley wants a go at another franchise after Episode IX has wrapped. :v:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Toxxupation posted:

That's not a bad faith argument. It's literally true. Every single superhero is a commentary on or reaction to Superman, in at least some small way. Because he was the first, and set the tone for modern superhero comics that can still be felt to this day.

You misspelled "The Phantom"

Toxxupation posted:

Don't be obtuse. Black Widow has absolutely been crowded out of the Avengers, either of them, especially the latter, because all she can do is fight a couple of dudes really well in hand-to-hand combat. Even Civil War basically sidelines her for a vast majority of the, ahem, airport sequence.

I like Black Widow, but she feels like a character that is emblematic of Marvel's inconsistent treatment of female supers in the movies; powerful but clearly out of their league when the "big tough men" are around.

I think she'd work better in the Netflix shows; Daredevil, etc.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I don't think Charlize is "too old", even by Hollywood illogic. I mean, seriously, she just starred in one of 2015's top grossing action films that's getting a titled spinoff, starring her. And she's looked more or less the same since loving 2004, which was over a decade ago. I'm just not seeing how she's not the first name I'd pick if I were Kevin Feige looking to cast Captain Marvel, especially after her redesign (which honestly feels like someone slid over a picture of Charlize Theron and said "make Carol Danvers look like that"), I don't see why I wouldn't go with her. After over a decade she's looked more or less the same, has huge box office draws, just proved her action movie bona fides in one of the most critically acclaimed films of the previous year. Essentially she'd be a huge get.

Plus, they're going with Captain Marvel. The fact that it's Captain Marvel and not Ms. Marvel seems intentional, even beyond backdoor allowing Kamala Khan in (which, yeah, is probably partially why since she's Muslim female Peter Parker in terms of critical acclaim, inherent appeal of the character, and commercial success). Ms. Marvel Carol Danvers looks like she's a early to at most late twenties superhero. Captain Marvel reads as older in her redesign, early thirties. Her stories with Jessica Drew reinforce that, considering that the newest run of Spider-Woman is Carol hanging out with Jessica who just willingly chose to become a mom. It reads as an early-thirties story in the sense of its stakes and relevance, and Carol fits that milieu. If Marvel is looking for a Captain Marvel and not a Ms. Marvel, which seems intentional, they're looking for an older actress anyways.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Paragon8 posted:

Brie Larson maybe?

Oh, sure. Didn't think about this but yep.

• Locked thread