Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

RabidWeasel posted:

Some heavier / thicker looking leather gloves would work too.

Really I've found fashion souls to be much easier in DS3 because so much of the options available are just variations on various suits of plate / chain armour with tons of straps, capes, etc. and the visual clutter makes the different pieces of various sets blend together much better.

Also more open face helms than I remember which is good because they look v cool.

I usually just end up mashing together bits of all the starter sets + fallen knight and it ends up looking amazing.

Even if poise was working, not needing to stop to upgrade any outfit you like is a huge godsend for just playing dressup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Is this fashion souls?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://3dots.github.io/ds3optimizer/ [armor optimizer]

http://trogg.net/DS3Calc/ [ar calc]

these should be put in the op imo

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
How does one pvp as a sorcerer? They keep rolling whenever i cast greater soul magic missile and that stmina refills my mana does not.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

School Nickname posted:

Yeah the Firekeeper gauntlets were more a choice for weight than anything, so I wouldn't need Havels. I've switched to Wolf's Knight over Lothric Knight as Lothric gauntlets are shameless in showing some forearm. Thank you.

Also, is it better to just go through a NG+ to get to sl 120 than to grind in Archdragon's Peak?

Just do the Winged Knight farming trick, it's like 500,000k per every 10 minutes.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
How come they couldn't get spells to come out the top of the staff like they could in 2? It's BULLSHIT I tell you

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

School Nickname posted:

But uh how's my fashion?

Welcome

Nanomashoes posted:

Is this fashion souls?

Collapse

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Philosopher King posted:

How does one pvp as a sorcerer? They keep rolling whenever i cast greater soul magic missile and that stmina refills my mana does not.

The only sorcerers I've died to in PVP were ones that had homing crystal mass and a crystal soul spear that did 1k damage. they'd cast homing crystal mass looking away from you and back step up to you turn around and CSS and you'd get instagibbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQJ3jQK3gGg

basically stuff like this

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

School Nickname posted:

I am so poo poo with the Black Knight Glaive, getting my rear end handed to me in pvp, maybe it's because I'm like lvl 97. More likely I need to git gud.

But uh how's my fashion?

The gauntlets are always where the VIT struggle shows up.

Strugglegloves.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Nanomashoes posted:

Is this fashion souls?

That's bad rear end

Commissar Of Doom
Apr 21, 2009
What are the best weapon options for high DEX builds? I'm looking for something that will really kick rear end as a sharp weapon.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Commissar Of Doom posted:

What are the best weapon options for high DEX builds? I'm looking for something that will really kick rear end as a sharp weapon.

Sellsword twinblades are fun and I used them before L1s got buffed, so they're probably even better now

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Digirat posted:

Sellsword twinblades are fun and I used them before L1s got buffed, so they're probably even better now

Yeah, just a note, they can seem a bit underwhelming at first, especially if you're just starting a new character, but they're really solid in PvP. Once you get some stat scaling working for you the damage adds up on the weapon arts.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Are any of the scythes actually worth a drat in PvP? Like not top tier but maybe good enough to invade with without constantly wishing you were using anything else.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The great scythe at least is really goddamn sad in PvE so I don't see any way to make it work against players. While another one has heavy dex scaling, neither of the alternatives have the stats to suggest they'd be much better. The DPS had to be half that of my uchi and twinblades, combined with slower swing speed.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Internet Kraken posted:

Are any of the scythes actually worth a drat in PvP? Like not top tier but maybe good enough to invade with without constantly wishing you were using anything else.

I've heard corvian isnt bad if youre running a lucky bleed build

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Regular rapier, ricard's, or estoc for rapiers. Sellsword twinblades or Carthus curved sword for curved swords, Lothric knight sword (basically the BSS from Dks) or Gotthard's Twinswords for straight swords, Hollowslayer Greatsword or Claymore for greatswords, Washing Pole or Chaos Blade for katanas, Arstor's Spear or Partizan for spears, any of the scythes.

Personal favorites would be bestoc, sellsword, lothric knight, and hollowslayer.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 11, 2016

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Kild posted:

https://3dots.github.io/ds3optimizer/ [armor optimizer]

http://trogg.net/DS3Calc/ [ar calc]

these should be put in the op imo

That armor calculator is really cool ta

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spent last night doing Aldritch Faithful invasions using a Claymore in the right-hand and Caestus in the left. What I'd do is take a swing or two with the Claymore to put them at ease (oh look it's some dumb greatsword user) and then immediately two-hand the caestus as they come in to "punish" me. That poise-boosting move is rad, and the two-handed caestus basically gives you 4 high-damage poise-shattering hits before they roll away and there were tons of encounters where the other guy was at 1/4 health after that move. I also managed to surprise a few guys with a quick parry, since the caestus lets you parry things if you go back to using it as an offhand.

And obviously I'm wearing the Sage's Big Hat because it looks kind of like a sombrero and has a mask, but I wish there was a more luchador-looking colorful mask. Don't even talk to me about Lucatiel's, that poo poo was worn too often in DS2

My only other problem (besides lack of suitable fashion choices) is stat allocation, I hosed around with Faith and Attunement early on and haven't gotten around to reclaiming those points (mostly because I'm lazy but also because I'm not at the endgame yet and heard that reslotting points causes you to fail an NPC quest, and I've already failed enough of those this run, drat it).

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Regular, non-infused washing pole.
Grave warden twin blades.
Gotthard twinswords.
Carthus curved sword.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?
Just went on a 7+ winstreak with Monty Burns. I'll be uploading a few more vids next week as I'm off on holiday but this should give you an idea of how much I love my pyro build and Witch's Locks. No fancy editing, just a couple of fights - I'll do a montage or something maybe later this month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW4vO-1N1sQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHsf4SZW_XA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPpHauGn0V8

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...

Ravenfood posted:

Roughly what level should I be, pvp-wise, if I just beat Wolnir and have already cleared the Cathedral? I'm 39 right now and people are starting to hit me a lot harder than I hit them.

e: Jesus christ what is the crocodile demon thing on the bridge? :gonk:

You can run past it to safety, which will in no way come back to bite you in the rear end.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Viking_Helmet posted:

You can run past it to safety, which will in no way come back to bite you in the rear end.
It's ok, I killed it after I smacked it in the nose a few times and shoved a claymore in its weird vagina claw belly. It didn't like it, threw a tantrum, and then curled up to die. Now I have a ring that buffs my estoc with every attack. :getin:

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 01:41 on May 11, 2016

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
Found the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in a random invasion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrxnmGSPYOg

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I61RdIMqfuQ

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Subhazard posted:

I wish my friends played Dark Souls so I could do silly stuff like this.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Subhazard posted:

I've gotten to the point where I've started to make actual gimmick characters now and I'm saddened that I didn't think of this sooner.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008

Lotish posted:

I wish my friends played Dark Souls so I could do silly stuff like this.

all my friends think dark souls is too hard and that they don't need to 'prove how manly they are'

I think I need new friends.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Explain to them it isn't that hard unless you try and do something the game doesn't like.

Like not use straight swords

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Did they bring powerstancing back in this game???? I went up against a guy using dual katanas in either hand and it looked and felt like he was thrusting with both of them at the same time which I couldn't figure out how to do with my character.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grondoth posted:

Explain to them it isn't that hard unless you try and do something the game doesn't like.

Like not use straight swords

If you ever try to cast an offensive miracle the game starts deleting random files from your hard drive until your computer shuts down for good

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

MarshyMcFly posted:

Did they bring powerstancing back in this game???? I went up against a guy using dual katanas in either hand and it looked and felt like he was thrusting with both of them at the same time which I couldn't figure out how to do with my character.

Powerstancing is gone. Instead there are weapons that come with a built in offhand weapon when you two hand them.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Digirat posted:

I started a really sorcery-focused character and was wondering what to level besides health, attunement and int. Is the dexterity speed bonus worth it on top of the sage's ring, if it will also let me use something like the sage's rapier? I have no idea what to do for weapons but a lot of the ones that do magic damage will need some points in strength or faith I don't really want to spend. Seems like it might be best to just use super low-requirement weapons and then make them simple or crystal, but the speed bonus sounds really attractive.

e: Actually it looks like the invisible dexterity added by the sage's ring counts for the speed cap, so 15 dexterity is the most benefit you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1WOTfCc05E

for weapons, I just used a stupid dagger ( i think mail breaker) which you can get early on and put a crystal gem on it. Yeah, it splits it, but with high INT it makes a good difference since my STR is poo poo (like 12).

Just run around casting great heavy soul arrows and bopping them on the head with your staff if they need finishing off.

Pure sorcery build is really frustrating at times, so be warned. I've really had fun with it though and glad I did it because it's a whole different way of playing the game.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Kild posted:

The only sorcerers I've died to in PVP were ones that had homing crystal mass and a crystal soul spear that did 1k damage. they'd cast homing crystal mass looking away from you and back step up to you turn around and CSS and you'd get instagibbed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQJ3jQK3gGg

basically stuff like this

Yeah pvp is kinda fun as a sorcerer because so many people aren't used to dealing with it. Especially the dudes who are just used to trying to counter R1 spammers.

Subhazard
Oct 13, 2008
aw yeeeah.. my bideo's doin gooood!

So excited!

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

the PVP in this game is definitely the worst of all the Dark Souls games, pretty tired of warping in to find a host with two pals plus a Watchdog of Farron who is also his friend and only attacks purples

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Harrow posted:

I do not have the patience to use tactics

You gotta use the special ones, though apparently the Red Hilted Halberd is pretty sweet for PvP.

The Twinkling Titanite and boss soul halberds are almost universally awesome. Gundyr's Halberd, Black Knight Glaive, and the Dragonslayer Swordspear (which acts like a Pike one-handed and a halberd two-handed) are all fantastic weapons.

I have the red handled halberd. Doesn't seem any better for having higher requirements tbqh.

You have a singular talent.

Cultisto
Oct 18, 2010

When Gozer the Gozarian roams the earth, you have my permission to die.
Fun Shoe
Maybe this is really common knowledge but I don't care, I discovered something on my own! When you talk to Anri in the Catacombs and she's wondering where Horace is, you can actually look down and see him standing down where he waits in the lake. She's calling out for him, but he can't respond because well, he physically can't anymore.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
Do you find Anri aside the collapsable bridge as a summon? I never found Anri again after the stupid halfway fortress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lite_sleepr posted:

Do you find Anri aside the collapsable bridge as a summon? I never found Anri again after the stupid halfway fortress.

Anri is in two places in the Catacombs, one in a side room right before the first skele-ball and the other on the ledge looking down at the collapsible bridge.