Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Is brand positioning that important in the bed-wetting anime pervert space? Maybe it's more crowded than I knew.

He wants to get a syndrome named after him and his hosed up deformed head and cognitive disability might not be enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

ChickenWing posted:

Again, that's not how it came across to me at all. It's mentioned multiple times throughout the book that students sometimes have mental breaks as a result of sympathy or not washing their hands between alchemy and dinner or whatever and Auri is fairly obviously put up as an example of this.

quote:

She knew. She should have moved more gently with the world. She knew the way of things. She knew if you weren't always stepping lightly as a bird the whole world came apart to crush you. Like a house of cards. Like a bottle against stones. Like a wrist pinned hard beneath a hand with the hot breath smell of want and wine...

...Then she saw the pieces, and her heart went sideways in her chest. No. Not shattered. Broken. He had broken.

Suddenly Auri's face broke too. It broke into a grin so wide you'd think she ate the moon. Oh yes, Fulcrum had broken, but that wasn't wrong. Eggs break. Horses break. Waves break. Of course he broke. How else could someone so all certain-centered let his perfect answers out into the world? Some things were just too true to stay.

It's about as explicit as you can get without her actually going "and then he raped me."

As for her being sexualized, there isn't as much I feel in the narrative to support that, but she is absolutely a grown woman that is heavily infantilized, the depiction of her mental illness is offensively twee, and she like every character in the book only exists to prop up Kvothe rather than being an individual with realistic depth.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

He wants to get a syndrome named after him and his hosed up deformed head and cognitive disability might not be enough.

You seem to have some manner of personal grudge against me

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

ChickenWing posted:

Huh? Why is this important? Is age not a normal part of descriptions?

The description concentrates on being descriptive from a first-person POV, like you are seeing her for the first time. It starts with her movements, "scamper up the tree like a squirrel", to her physical state "shorter than me by almost a foot. She was thin .... Her cheeks were hollow and her bare arms waifishly narrow ... long hair was so fine that it trailed her, floating in the air like a cloud"

Adults don't "scamper up the tree", they are not generally "waifishly narrow" and it's a reasonable expectation to expect people that are small, thin, shorter than the 15 year old narrator by a foot, and scampering up trees like a squirrel to be children. The description is one thing, the narrator's declaration is another. Possibly Rothfuss is subverting a trope here.

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

You seem to have some manner of personal grudge against me

lol, no one gives a gently caress about you, idiot.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I just automatically assumed she was part of Kvothe's harem on account of every other Eligible Female Bachelor being part of Kvothe's harem. It's like a black hole, roughly; there's nothing explicitly there, at least to people without a tweescope or waifovision or whatever Auri is supposed to be channeling, but we can kind of infer its existence by the matter surrounding it.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

adventures of princess and mr whiffle is really good

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Reene posted:

It's about as explicit as you can get without her actually going "and then he raped me."

As for her being sexualized, there isn't as much I feel in the narrative to support that, but she is absolutely a grown woman that is heavily infantilized, the depiction of her mental illness is offensively twee, and she like every character in the book only exists to prop up Kvothe rather than being an individual with realistic depth.

Oh wow whoops yep that's pretty blatant. I missed that particular bit.

As for the multitude of "I am unable to handle the twee" comments - different strokes for different folks, I guess. I thought she was pretty adorably written, if a bit shallow as a character. Definitely not overused enough for me to get sick of her appearances.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I also really like Auri, but it's a liking that comes from sort of forgetting certain things about her. I always forget that she's supposed to be a grown woman who is also a victim of rape, and not somebody maybe a year or two older than Kvothe who burnt their mind out mentally. I forget these things because they're never important to her character, or her interactions with Kvothe. She's got the backstory of a tragic character, but is instead written as an anime cat girl.

Auri is a cute character that ostensibly serves as a warning for Kvothe after just having a chapter about sympathetic burnout, but who has a tragic past tacked on so that she's not just a whimsical fairy child that he happens to meet.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Too bad her back story is contained 100% in a self fellating novel and not bits and pieces in the 5000 pages of written word in the main books. Guess her character is less important than money conversions.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solice Kirsk posted:

Too bad her back story is contained 100% in a self fellating novel and not bits and pieces in the 5000 pages of written word in the main books. Guess her character is less important than money conversions.

Her implicit backstory - student who burned her brain out but either escaped from or wasn't quite badly enough off to be sent to the Rookery - in The Name of the Wind is better than anything added in Slow Regard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

True enough, but given that's all the back story she gets in 5000 pages tells me she isn't important to the story....but we all know she is gonna be absolutely instrumental in events coming up. Either directly or indirectly. Actually, besides Kvothe, I'm having trouble thinking of any characters that are really well fleshed out. Maybe Devi?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Solice Kirsk posted:

True enough, but given that's all the back story she gets in 5000 pages tells me she isn't important to the story....but we all know she is gonna be absolutely instrumental in events coming up.

Dude, there are any events ever coming up. Give it a rest, the series is over.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ulmont posted:

Her implicit backstory - student who burned her brain out but either escaped from or wasn't quite badly enough off to be sent to the Rookery - in The Name of the Wind is better than anything added in Slow Regard.

Exactly. She was an interesting enough character without Rothfuss trying to have to make her interesting.

To why/how she might be important, my best guess is that she'll be an example to point to for when Kvothe turns to Kote. He'll burn himself out trying to impress Denna, will scurry back to University to look for help, and will only have Auri to lean on. She teaches him a trick or something to at least keep his mind from dying entirely, and he uses "unremarkable business owner" as a touchstone, in place of Auri's "sing-song fairy woman".

SpacePig fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 10, 2016

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solice Kirsk posted:

True enough, but given that's all the back story she gets in 5000 pages tells me she isn't important to the story....but we all know she is gonna be absolutely instrumental in events coming up. Either directly or indirectly.

Even if we ever got a Book 3, I suspect Auri has already done everything she's ever going to do to push the plot of the Kingkiller Chronicles forward, viz. letting Kvothe into the Archives.

Aug 15, 2010

SpacePig posted:

Exactly. She was an interesting enough character without Rothfuss trying to have to make her interesting.

To why/how she might be important, my best guess is that she'll be an example to point to for when Kvothe turns to Kote. He'll burn himself out trying to impress Denna, will scurry back to University to look for help, and will only have Auri to lean on. She teaches him a trick or something to at least keep his mind from dying entirely, and he uses "unremarkable business owner" as a touchstone, in place of Auri's "sing-song fairy woman".

Roll a D20 please.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
I want to make a post wherein we collectively try to write a better unreliable narrator story than patrick Rothfuss. I am both terrified at what the result would be, and that I still think it could be successful.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ulmont posted:

Even if we ever got a Book 3, I suspect Auri has already done everything she's ever going to do to push the plot of the Kingkiller Chronicles forward, viz. letting Kvothe into the Archives.

Slow Regard pretty much shows us she's a namer so I'm guessing she's going to play a bigger part later.

Edit: If I was a gambler, I'd guess she's the one that changes his name to Kote.

Dienes fucked around with this message at 20:47 on May 10, 2016

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Dienes posted:

Slow Regard pretty much shows us she's a namer so I'm guessing she's going to play a bigger part later.

Edit: If I was a gambler, I'd guess she's the one that changes his name to Kote.

Wow that's not what I got from it at all, although with introspection that may just mean I'm an idiot. It didn't seem like there was any ~magic~ naming (or even allusions to it) in the book though.

In all honesty before I read Slow Regard I thought she might actually be fae, because that could potentially have explained some stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Number Ten Cocks posted:

Dude, there are any events ever coming up. Give it a rest, the series is over.

There's a third book at least; possibly more.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

jivjov posted:

woosh

tbh I don't know if that's for you or me but there it is

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

What's the release date.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ChickenWing posted:

Wow that's not what I got from it at all, although with introspection that may just mean I'm an idiot. It didn't seem like there was any ~magic~ naming (or even allusions to it) in the book though.

In all honesty before I read Slow Regard I thought she might actually be fae, because that could potentially have explained some stuff.

Its how she made the shaped candle. And she made a new name for Kvote to give him when he needed it.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
ESTRAGON: I can't go on like this.
VLADIMIR: That's what you think.
ESTRAGON: If we parted? That might be better for us.
VLADIMIR: We'll hang ourselves tomorrow. (Pause.) Unless Godot comes.
ESTRAGON: And if he comes?
VLADIMIR: We'll be saved.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
you're a mob of hooting goons and i would be happy if you all got ravished to death by the sex fairy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Number Ten Cocks posted:

What's the release date.

Unless Rothfuss has announced it in the last day or two, I don't think it has one yet.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

jivjov posted:

Unless Rothfuss has announced it in the last day or two, I don't think it has one yet.

So you obsessively check up on him every 48 hours? And you still think a book is coming out some day?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Number Ten Cocks posted:

So you obsessively check up on him every 48 hours? And you still think a book is coming out some day?

No? I just would think that if he had announced a release date lately someone would have posted it here in the thread.

And yes, he has not announced a cancellation of Doors of Stone, so I have no reason to believe that it isn't coming.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
You know how a Guns'n'Roses reunion tour was long only thought possible if Slash and Axl happened to both be broke at the same time? Well, here we are and there's a Guns'n'Roses reunion. So, it was possible after all. It just took decades and certainly wasn't something people seriously expected.

That's the situation with Doors of Stone. It will never officially be cancelled, but no announcements on it will be made until all of his other revenue sources dry up and he's spent his last dime on an anime girl pillow.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
I'm hoping that Doors of Stone will take a totally unexpected turn.

Imagine Kote/Kvothe as Blackadder, a self-indulgent, narcissistic, compulsive liar.

What Doors of Stone needs is Lord Flashheart. Somebody who's going to barge in from page 1, announce to the whole world what a git the protagonist is, and then proceed to demolish the previous two books by deconstructing all the key passages, pointing out outright lies and exaggerations and emphasising what a twat Kvothe is. The last book being a complete demolition of the first two, would be very satisfying.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Trammel posted:

I'm hoping that Doors of Stone will take a totally unexpected turn.

Imagine Kote/Kvothe as Blackadder, a self-indulgent, narcissistic, compulsive liar.

What Doors of Stone needs is Lord Flashheart. Somebody who's going to barge in from page 1, announce to the whole world what a git the protagonist is, and then proceed to demolish the previous two books by deconstructing all the key passages, pointing out outright lies and exaggerations and emphasising what a twat Kvothe is. The last book being a complete demolition of the first two, would be very satisfying.

Chronicler pulls off his elaborate mask, revealing he's actually Ambrose.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I'd rather Kote be Ambrose, old and guilt ridden after killing Kvothe to the extent he takes up his old enemy's name and spreads his legend while vilifying himself. The prose is overwrought and nonsensical because Ambrose is a hack poet and the characterization one-dimensional because he wants Kvothe in the best possible light and himself as a mustache twirling villain, yet enough of his old self remains that he has unconsciously painted Kvothe as kind of a douche also. He doesn't actually know that much about Kvothe's past so the story just nonsensically transitions from one phase to another, following the broad strokes he is aware of. Kvothe's inexplicable hatred of poetry is a reflection of Ambrose's own self-loathing. Bast is like, Kvothe's ghost or something.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
While that's interesting and all, in order to get to the twist you have to read thousands of pages of poo poo.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

While that's interesting and all, in order to get to the twist you have to read thousands of pages of poo poo.

Well it depends. Imagine Rothfuss simply up & died, leaving no notes or materials behind for Doors of Stone. The executors of his estate nominate you to decide what to do with his next proposed novel.

Do you look at the previous two, and just say, "Nope, nothing worth continuing there"

Or maybe, "I can hire somebody to continue in the same vein/voice. Unless you've been truly poor, you'll never understand."

Or maybe, "Well, lets take this somewhere new and interesting, without worrying about the time spent and costs involved in the first two books -- we can't alter those initial costs anyway."

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Let's say that I am, in theory, an up-and-comer in the fantasy genre and somebody taps me to finish this. Why in the world would I waste a potentially great idea on somebody else's books, when I could take the same basic concept and just write my own?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nakar posted:

Let's say that I am, in theory, an up-and-comer in the fantasy genre and somebody taps me to finish this. Why in the world would I waste a potentially great idea on somebody else's books, when I could take the same basic concept and just write my own?

Because at a minimum it would be a hell of a pay day, which is no small thing. Beyond that, if you wrote a good book, the exposure you'd get from "wasting" that idea on someone else's series (potentially) far eclipses what'd you'd see if you wrote your own story.

Of course there is a vanishingly small set of examples of the latter working in someone's favor - Sanderson is really the only one I can think of, and he was well on his way to Making It before Jordan tapped him to finish WoT. The former seems more likely to get into a franchise situation (Tom Clancy).

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

You would have to write thousands of pages of poo poo. I say just let the professionals handle it

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Trammel posted:

Well it depends. Imagine Rothfuss simply up & died, leaving no notes or materials behind for Doors of Stone. The executors of his estate nominate you to decide what to do with his next proposed novel.

Do you look at the previous two, and just say, "Nope, nothing worth continuing there"

Or maybe, "I can hire somebody to continue in the same vein/voice. Unless you've been truly poor, you'll never understand."

Or maybe, "Well, lets take this somewhere new and interesting, without worrying about the time spent and costs involved in the first two books -- we can't alter those initial costs anyway."

I, as the reader, got halfway through Name of the Wind. Then I never bothered with the second book. If I heard Rothfuss had choked to death on a token for his new board game and an up and coming author had been tapped to finish the series, I wouldn't touch the first book again or the second book and the third book could be simply amazing and I'd still never read it because I have too many things to do and not enough hours in the day to go back and read a bunch of poo poo.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just read the third book then. Nothing of any real import happens in the other two anyways. I mean, unless you're the kind of guy that likes to know all about the school life of a king/angel killing battle mage musician.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 12:40 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Xy Hapu posted:

I'd rather Kote be Ambrose, old and guilt ridden after killing Kvothe to the extent he takes up his old enemy's name and spreads his legend while vilifying himself. The prose is overwrought and nonsensical because Ambrose is a hack poet and the characterization one-dimensional because he wants Kvothe in the best possible light and himself as a mustache twirling villain, yet enough of his old self remains that he has unconsciously painted Kvothe as kind of a douche also. He doesn't actually know that much about Kvothe's past so the story just nonsensically transitions from one phase to another, following the broad strokes he is aware of. Kvothe's inexplicable hatred of poetry is a reflection of Ambrose's own self-loathing. Bast is like, Kvothe's ghost or something.

That would truly be an amazing twist. All would be forgiven.

• Locked thread