Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Piccolo

Pros and Cons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Wait, who is this guy? I'm not sure I can follow the intricacies of the Retail plot without at least a recap to tell me who this guy is. I mean, I could assume that he's yet another of the entirely interchangeable characters this comic is full of, but what if he isn't?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

Wait, who is this guy? I'm not sure I can follow the intricacies of the Retail plot without at least a recap to tell me who this guy is. I mean, I could assume that he's yet another of the entirely interchangeable characters this comic is full of, but what if he isn't?

The old assistant manager got a real job, so this is the new assistant manager.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Tiggum posted:

It's a surprisingly not-terrible story arc that begins here.

http://retailcomic.com/comics/march-21-2016/

And runs for several weeks.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Don't worry, it will all come together over the next year as sycophantic lackey comes to realize that evil district manager was wrong all along and that righteous and noble slacker and those other guys are the ones keeping the whole corporation afloat despite the meddling of evil district manager and ignorant customer.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Bloom County

Peanuts (May 13, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (March 29-30, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 27, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

The Misty Mountains have already got enough problems what with Goblin-town, the Balrog, Gollum, and all of that.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Call Your Grandma posted:

Don't worry, it will all come together over the next year as sycophantic lackey comes to realize that evil district manager was wrong all along and that righteous and noble slacker and those other guys are the ones keeping the whole corporation afloat despite the meddling of evil district manager and ignorant customer.

Honestly, it's not as bad as all that. The district manager is incredibly 2-dimensionally evil, but everyone else is pretty reasonable.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Retail is pretty good low-grade humor and catharsis for anyone who worked retail for any length of time, especially in management. It's like Dilbert used to be for office drones.

It's not great, but it's still better than half the other crap available.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

I thought about this strip a lot in college.

Ripley's

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Bobulus posted:

Honestly, it's not as bad as all that. The district manager is incredibly 2-dimensionally evil, but everyone else is pretty reasonable.

I had a district manager once who couldn't find any issues with the electronics department, so he took a piece of paper out of one of the demo printers when he thought nobody was looking, tossed it on the floor, and had the electronics guy pick it up.

He seems pretty in-character to me.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That humming bird thing is inaccurate - ruby throated hummingbirds will migrate across the gulf of mexico.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Bobulus posted:

Honestly I read the whole thing just now and it's basically been "new guy wants to follow corporate rules and is bullied horribly" up until this one joke about him being a greedy dick

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

When I worked fast food in high school, my coworkers and boss were much more cartoonish than the workers portrayed here. Off the top of my head:

- Delivery driver got in a verbal argument with a customer and threw a pizza at him, then ran away when the guy threatened to beat his rear end.
- Line worker was always incredibly high. One day, either due to highness or just teenagerness, he decided to get fired by wiping his hands all over everyone's faces and walking out the door.
- Boss would often attempt to schedule shifts for high school students during the school day and would ask offended if you suggested this was not reasonable.
- When I gave my notice, three weeks before I planned to leave, my boss demanded I stay at least a month, so he had time to find someone to replace me. I told him, no, I wasn't missing the first week of college classes in another state.
- Said boss also would bring up his miscarried child randomly in arguments with his staff.
- The assistant manager did not give a gently caress either way and hid in the back and collected scale models of nascar cars.
- A customer on the phone once threatened to 'break' me for not accepting her expired coupon.

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.

Darthemed posted:

Calvin and Hobbes

Me too, friend. Me too.

King Aroo (April 17, 1951)

Barnaby (September 22, 1942)

Nancy (June 1, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 12, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 13, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 27, 1936)

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Viivi & Wagner

Dark Side of the Horse

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Darthemed posted:

My department chair actually has this strip posted outside his office door. I'm never quite sure if it's intended to be a dig at humanities departments or as a reminder to not make your papers an obscure morass of unmotivated lemmas, which is our equivalent of the meaningless obfuscating buzzword.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

SomeMathGuy posted:

My department chair actually has this strip posted outside his office door. I'm never quite sure if it's intended to be a dig at humanities departments or as a reminder to not make your papers an obscure morass of unmotivated lemmas, which is our equivalent of the meaningless obfuscating buzzword.

As long as it's in a clear, professional plastic binder, it's all good.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Trent posted:

Retail is pretty good low-grade humor and catharsis for anyone who worked retail for any length of time, especially in management. It's like Dilbert used to be for office drones.

Tell me about it. I'm catching up, and I got to the comic where the new assistant manager is upset that people aren't working towards sales or add-on goals and my eye just started twitching.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Ms Boods posted:

As long as it's in a clear, professional plastic binder, it's all good.

Entire class, *choral*: "BATS AREN'T BUGS!"

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Looks like one of those darn hipster haircuts the kids get these days to me!

Mary Worth

Dawn, you spend every spare moment with him, and you call him by his first name, not "Professor Jones" like everyone else does. You don't get to be a bitch about people making assumptions.

Rex Morgan MD

So thanks to RMMD and this thread, I learned some homes are still wired in the old style, and it can cause more problems than I would have thought. You never know where you'll learn new stuff.

Secret Agent X-9

His landlord is half parrot.

Apartment 3-G

"Anyone who sends such beautiful flowers can't be all bad." :rolleyes: God LuAnn is so easy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

It seems the writer on Rex Morgan, MD just changed, which might explain why the carefully set up "Rex buys a house" arc seems to have abruptly ended.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Next up, demon child loses her book contract and slips into a depressive cycle.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lauz2_0TOXM

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Dawn, you spend every spare moment with him, and you call him by his first name, not "Professor Jones" like everyone else does. You don't get to be a bitch about people making assumptions.
I love Dawn's expression. "God, I'm just spending a lot of time with a single man twice my age who happens to be in a position of authority over me and could give me all sorts of special preferential treatment, what's the big deal?"

I'm safe in assuming that Professor JonesHarlan could get into serious trouble here, right? I mean, if Dawn starts doing well in class it'd be incredibly hard to prove it's not because of favoritism.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

:ocelot:

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Wanamingo posted:

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Apparently Gilchrist lives next door to Arlo and Janis.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress you child who lives on your own most of the time in a run down shack, the HOA has defined lawn standards that you will meet.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

And how many people poo poo themselves at that funeral?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm safe in assuming that Professor JonesHarlan could get into serious trouble here, right? I mean, if Dawn starts doing well in class it'd be incredibly hard to prove it's not because of favoritism.

Where I work, at this point he's probably looking at an uphill battle to convince the ethics office that they are not, in fact, engaged in an "amorous relationship," which would have required them to both self-report to said ethics office ASAP to make sure he was no longer in a evaluative position regarding her course work. He should've already begun the process of self-policing in order to avoid the appearance of a non-existent amorous relationship and they would most likely point to clauses regarding multiple party interpretations as something he should've been keeping in mind. It can get a little hazy (Getting lunch with your research advisor and being on a first name basis with them is no big deal when you're a grad student, although the yoga thing would still raise some eyebrows and in any case Dawn is an undergrad) but in general he's loving up.

That said, unless Mary Worth throws a hell of a swerve I'm expecting 100% of the conflict to revolve around Dawn's interactions with other students because she's so buddy buddy with Dr. Jones.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Good job giving those rabbits raging diarrhea, you saccharine sack of sugar.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Johnny Walker posted:

Apartment 3-G

I'm still loving the art in these older strips - here's a reminder of what we used to get:

I swear I thought the caption on this one would be "You Know You're A Plugger when you Piss in the Corner."

Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Whoops Sisters

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guimpe

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Mopsy
I'm not going to continue with Flapper Fanny after the latest batch I have. It's OK, just, not great (plus, my source is drying up). I'll be replacing it with Mopsy, Gladys Parker's strip that started in 1939. I have strips that started in January, 1940 in the Spokane Daily Chronicle. While Flapper Fanny was a strip that Parker took over from another artist, Mopsy was all hers, and I think it shows.

wikipedia posted:

Mopsy was a comic strip created in 1939 by Gladys Parker, who was one of the few female cartoonists of the era. The strip had a long run over three decades. Parker modeled the character of Mopsy after herself. In 1946, she recalled, "I got the idea for Mopsy when the cartoonist Rube Goldberg said my hair looked like a mop. That was several years ago, and she has been my main interest ever since."

Parker had studied fashion illustration, and Mopsy always had a stylish look. During World War II, Mopsy held such wartime jobs as a nurse and a munitions-plant worker, and the feature grew in popularity.

Feiffer (click for big)

Wee Pals

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

He's saying bong as he's hitting it, you see

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bong is actually just past six in the evening.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Quill, move to Hawaii. That's how Aaron Hill got out. Or take the nuclear option and start wearing blackface.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bobulus posted:

It seems the writer on Rex Morgan, MD just changed, which might explain why the carefully set up "Rex buys a house" arc seems to have abruptly ended.

Comics Kingdom still says it's Woody Wilson. Where did you hear it had changed?

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen

Tiggum posted:

Comics Kingdom still says it's Woody Wilson. Where did you hear it had changed?

Terry Beatty's blog says that he took over writing starting with the May 2nd comic. The signature box has also changed from Wilson & Beatty to just Terry Beatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set knows it's free money.

Working Daze swings those hips.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix is not good with kids.

• Locked thread