Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nopants
May 29, 2004
The Mountain in season one was perfect. I looked forward to the tourney in King's Landing a lot, and the actor that played the Mountain sold that scene so well. The current Mountain is physically perfect, but he doesn't come off as an angry psychotic that would murder his horse and go on a rampage because he lost a joust or hold his little brother's face in a fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

nopants posted:

The Mountain in season one was perfect. I looked forward to the tourney in King's Landing a lot, and the actor that played the Mountain sold that scene so well. The current Mountain is physically perfect, but he doesn't come off as an angry psychotic that would murder his horse and go on a rampage because he lost a joust or hold his little brother's face in a fire.

well he's a zombie now, why would he act like that?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I agree, the current Mountain seems like a nice dude in real life; when his face is visible, it's like he's struggling to look mean. He seems like he'd much prefer to laugh and drink some ale. The first guy's face was legitimately terrifying, though...that dude looked like he'd rape a Dornish lady and slice her in half, no question.

I'm pretty sure Wun Wun *is* the second Mountain, though.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Xealot posted:

I agree, the current Mountain seems like a nice dude in real life; when his face is visible, it's like he's struggling to look mean. He seems like he'd much prefer to laugh and drink some ale.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I dunno if there's a bigger disparity between irl personality and character personality as Lena/Cersei. She's like the happiest person in the world!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

nopants posted:

I agree, the Mountain 2.0 seems like just some world's strongest man type dude (I think he actually is?) who is otherwise nice but pretty good at being a super tough thug.

Doesn't seem like much of an actor though, and even his angryface looked a little forced.

Mountain 1.0 on the other hand absolutely sold the character's anger and psychotic rage. But Mountain 2 isn't too bad, especially since his character really doesn't need much acting.

Mountain 3.0 might be my favorite of the group though. Something about how they do the makeup on his skin and eye (and that's all you see) is pretty terrifying. Dude is a serious franken-mountain and that's even worse than the mountain was before :stonk:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

zoux posted:

I dunno if there's a bigger disparity between irl personality and character personality as Lena/Cersei. She's like the happiest person in the world!

Let me introduce you to Grey Worm's sensitive side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoyMvE5g7f8

Zaphod42 posted:

I agree, the Mountain 2.0 seems like just some world's strongest man type dude (I think he actually is?) who is otherwise nice but pretty good at being a super tough thug.

Yeah, he broke a loving thousand year old weightlifting record. Or, more accurately, a loglifting record.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Zaphod42 posted:

His current actor is a strongman. The Mountain 1.0 fellow used to be a pro-wrestler according to Wikipedia though, which perhaps helps explain his…presence. (":ssj: SWORD!")

Most importantly, though, the Mountain 2.0 actor continues to portray Wun Wun, which I think should decisively settle this debate. :colbert:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Zaphod42 posted:

Doesn't seem like much of an actor though, and even his angryface looked a little forced.

Mountain 1.0 on the other hand absolutely sold the character's anger and psychotic rage. But Mountain 2 isn't too bad, especially since his character really doesn't need much acting.

Mountain 3.0 might be my favorite of the group though. Something about how they do the makeup on his skin and eye (and that's all you see) is pretty terrifying. Dude is a serious franken-mountain and that's even worse than the mountain was before :stonk:

I think you're skipping a Mountain. 2.0 is the guy in Harrenhal in S2. 3.0 is the world's strongest man that fought Oberyn then became FrankenMountain (same guy).

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lycus posted:

I think you're skipping a Mountain. 2.0 is the guy in Harrenhal in S2. 3.0 is the world's strongest man that fought Oberyn then became FrankenMountain (same guy).

Oh poo poo, there's another Mountain at Harrenhal? I guess I didn't even recognize it was him, I'll have to go back and watch those scenes now...

Lmao 4 versions of The Mountain.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh poo poo, there's another Mountain at Harrenhal? I guess I didn't even recognize it was him, I'll have to go back and watch those scenes now...

Haha, this was exactly my point. I don't think I realized really tall, skinny Harrenhal dude was the mountain until almost the end of the season or whatever. He looked nothing like Mountain 1.0.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Book stuff if you care: Each maester has a different type of chain representing their area of study; there is one maester who has a valyrian chain who studies magic, Marwyn. And while magic was weak poo poo before the series started, he's becoming increasingly able to actually do things that are magical. Sam could take over his role in the show or could take over a similar role after he dies or something. On the other hand, the maesters overall don't believe in magic, and even seem to kinda push an anti-magic propaganda on the world, like they think magic is dangerous and chaotic and should be snuffed out. But Sam gonna sam.

Lmao "Jumped the gun on that last one; actually Alliser is dead and Snow is fine, don't ask."

In the show they included the bit about each link in the maester's chain representing a different area of study, and how Aemon, like all maesters, tried magic but it didn't work.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bootloafus posted:

The high sparrow is totally gonna stand up to fight for the faith himself.

A priest against a zombie? It'd never work.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

a cop posted:

In the show they included the bit about each link in the maester's chain representing a different area of study, and how Aemon, like all maesters, tried magic but it didn't work.

Maester Luwin said he tried and not all of them did. Aemon didn't say he did.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Super Deuce posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually said it was only a small minority that did it, something along the lines of only one maester in a hundred.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

a cop posted:

Super Deuce posted:

Yeah they mentioned the chains in the show, I just spoiled the whole thing. Also in the books they go a little further on the second issue too, As training to be a Maester, you're actually locked in a dark cell with a glass candle, which is a magical device. You're stuck so that the only way out is to use the glass candle to produce light, but even as desperate as you get and as much as you try, it doesn't work. Eventually they just have to let you out of the cell in the morning, cold and frustrated and depressed that you tried magic all night to the best of your abilities but you failed. Its meant to be a very harsh and definitive lesson that magic isn't real.

That's part of why I'm saying maesters are almost kinda anti-magic and spreading anti-magic propaganda, it seems like one of their higher ups really doesn't want magic to exist. And yet there's still Marwin and his Valyrian chain. Its very curious. Marwyn is special and going against the wishes of his order more or less, but then why even have a valyrian chain in the first place if you're so convinced magic isn't even real? Its like somebody knows magic IS real but really doesn't want anybody to believe it is.

Which then feeds back into my previous comments on magic being real because people believe it is. Maybe they think if they tell everybody there is no magic, that'll mean there is no magic, and they don't want magic. But as soon as the dragons show up and everybody starts believing in dragons, magic returns.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 11, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

jazzyhattrick posted:

I'm pretty sure he actually said it was only a small minority that did it, something along the lines of only one maester in a hundred.

Book Spergin'

1 in a 100 forge the link representing study of the Occult and "Higher Mysteries".

All Maesters are locked in a room with an onyx candle.

Which, you know if you really were trying to put an end to magic you could just kill everyone who manages to light it.

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah they mentioned the chains in the show, I just spoiled the whole thing. Also in the books they go a little further on the second issue too, As training to be a Maester, you're actually locked in a dark cell with a glass candle, which is a magical device. You're stuck so that the only way out is to use the glass candle to produce light, but even as desperate as you get and as much as you try, it doesn't work. Eventually they just have to let you out of the cell in the morning, cold and frustrated and depressed that you tried magic all night to the best of your abilities but you failed. Its meant to be a very harsh and definitive lesson that magic isn't real.

That's part of why I'm saying maesters are almost kinda anti-magic and spreading anti-magic propaganda, it seems like one of their higher ups really doesn't want magic to exist. And yet there's still Marwin and his Valyrian chain. Its very curious. Marwyn is special and going against the wishes of his order more or less, but then why even have a valyrian chain in the first place if you're so convinced magic isn't even real? Its like somebody knows magic IS real but really doesn't want anybody to believe it is.

Which then feeds back into my previous comments on magic being real because people believe it is. Maybe they think if they tell everybody there is no magic, that'll mean there is no magic, and they don't want magic. But as soon as the dragons show up and everybody starts believing in dragons, magic returns.

Youtube.com Pycelle farts for 10 hours

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

paperchaseguy posted:

A bit late but here's my team
Catelyn
Stannis
Gendry
Beric
Rickon
Hotpie
Roslin Frey
Cheese boy

SCORE

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

My prediction is that the High Sparrow turns to his mysterious ally to face the mountain. Everyone thought he was being flippant when he mentioned KING TURTLE. Will the Mountain be able to pierce his formidable shell?

I think it ends up being Mountain versus High Sparrow. 80% Mountain crushes him like a grape, 20% chance HIgh Sparrow's faith is rewarded and Mountain malfunctions and doesn't attack or something.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
The Hound wills quare off for revenge against the Mountain just like Eddard Stark will tell Jon who his mother was the next time they meet. Whoops.

Just because the characters have plans and we as an audience are used to all story-lines in modern, conventional fiction being wrapped up in neat little bows doesn't mean poo poo on GoT. I'm glad the show foils expectations left and right.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

I want the Hound to fight The Mountain because the Hound is cool as hell.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It's going to be Cleganebowl and will be awesome. The Hound and the Mountain will be fighting in King's Landing on that overlook, they'll be bashing each other, the Mountain will chop off the Hound's hand, then the Hound will fall over the side and try to hold on, while the Mountain goes over to him and says "Sandor... I am your brother" and the Hound is all "NOOOO THAT'S IMPOSSIBLE" and the Mountain says "look into your heart, you know it to be true" and Hound is all "NOOOOOOOOO" and then he falls off the ledge and rides the sewers into the bay, where Salladhor Saan picks him up and takes him to Qyburn to get jazz hands.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The two towering brothers will finally square off face to face. The younger, long missing and presumed dead, will return to avenge himself against the brother who sacrificed him to the flames, The Dead Man. It's all happening tonight, at Cerseimania

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Loras would make sense. Margaery was demanding to see him and to hear how he was and yet we haven't seen him in forever. Would be a pretty great return to finally see him again walking out to fight the Mountain, maybe wearing a brown robe and some chains.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

That DICK! posted:

I want the Hound to fight The Mountain because the Hound is cool as hell.

I'm glad that they casted a Scotsman for the role.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Fast Luck posted:

Loras would make sense. Margaery was demanding to see him and to hear how he was and yet we haven't seen him in forever. Would be a pretty great return to finally see him again walking out to fight the Mountain, maybe wearing a brown robe and some chains.

Yeah I could see him showing up with robes and the mark on his forehead as a convert, and fighting The Mountain. He's also a really good fighter and one of the few people who could maybe give us some decent sport against The Mountain... for awhile.

Although its kinda awkward because the show was also playing up the whole homosexual aspect of Loras which was much more subtle in the books, and they turned the whole arresting thing into a buggery issue, so if he comes out all converted that could kinda turn into a nasty message.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fast Luck posted:

Loras: I realize now I was wrong to lust after other men. To lust after their hard, firm bodies and the sweaty, oiled up rippling muscles and their firm jaws and strong arms. How wrong I was to think of their turgid members with longing, to yearn for their sweet, rugged embrace....

And it goes on like this for 45 minutes.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Well there's also the issue that the evidence against Loras is super flimsy and it made no sense when he got arrested, which would undermine any major character shift if he experienced one, since why would he turn all Faith-y when he could just wait out the charges and get off scot free?

Like, yeah, I'm sure he can't come up with some reason why a guy who squired for him would have seen the birthmark on his thigh. The only possible explanation is that they were gay lovers.

Also if he confesses that puts Margaery in trouble since it's evidence that she lied, so there's a family motive for him to keep his mouth shut too.

Not that the writers wouldn't do this anyway, since it would be a shocking twist and we all know how much they love their shocking twists.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Like, yeah, I'm sure he can't come up with some reason why a guy who squired for him would have seen the birthmark on his thigh. The only possible explanation is that they were gay lovers.

That drove me insane during that scene. I was shouting at the TV "He's his loving squire, of course he's seen his thigh! That doesn't prove he hosed him!"

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Um does no one remember Loras getting owned by Gregor in season 1? I dont think a month in jail or whatever is going to have him in the right mind to make up that deficit.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

IMB posted:

Um does no one remember Loras getting owned by Gregor in season 1? I dont think a month in jail or whatever is going to have him in the right mind to make up that deficit.

Yeah for all the talk of Loras being good at fighting we've only ever seen him fight twice and both times he got his rear end kicked, once by Brienne and once by the Mountain.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It's not some big secret that Loras is gay. They probably could rope in a lot of other witnesses if they wanted to.

They'd have to do a lot to persuade us that the Faith somehow got Loras to convert, but I'd love the Tyrell-Lannister shitstorm that would ensue from the Mountain crushing Loras like a plaything.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I could see him showing up with robes and the mark on his forehead as a convert, and fighting The Mountain. He's also a really good fighter and one of the few people who could maybe give us some decent sport against The Mountain... for awhile.

Although its kinda awkward because the show was also playing up the whole homosexual aspect of Loras which was much more subtle in the books, and they turned the whole arresting thing into a buggery issue, so if he comes out all converted that could kinda turn into a nasty message.

It's non-fiction. I don't see why this would be a nasty message. You have to apply Westeros morals to the Westeros scenes. Same with the rape scenes. It's painting a picture of a world, not showing you a fictional world aspiring to be ours, or ours aspiring to be it.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If Loras is gonna fight, why not have him as his sister's own champion against the faith's?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Super Deuce posted:

It's non-fiction. I don't see why this would be a nasty message. You have to apply Westeros morals to the Westeros scenes. Same with the rape scenes. It's painting a picture of a world, not showing you a fictional world aspiring to be ours, or ours aspiring to be it.

Don't you mean it is fiction?

My whole point was that GRRM didn't mean it to be commentary on our world and its just Westeros morals, but the HBO show felt like it was trying to make commentary on our own world. Maybe you don't see it that way, but the gay angle is really minor and barely even mentioned in the books. The show massively played it up.

Maybe that was just so they could sneak in some gay love scenes, which I guess the book didn't have a ton of.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't you mean it is fiction?

My whole point was that GRRM didn't mean it to be commentary on our world and its just Westeros morals, but the HBO show felt like it was trying to make commentary on our own world. Maybe you don't see it that way, but the gay angle is really minor and barely even mentioned in the books. The show massively played it up.

Maybe that was just so they could sneak in some gay love scenes, which I guess the book didn't have a ton of.

Yes, I started typing not non-fiction and forgot what I was doing. Oops. In the books isn't the character of show-Loras actually like 3 people, anyways? As far as I'm concerned, the books don't exist when I watch the show. I don't care about them at all. They're just interesting scenes to explore where a character wants to go, and without them, if they did want Loras to be a convert eventually, it would have less impact to the audience. It doesn't mean they have an anti-gay agenda, it doesn't mean they love rape. There is no message.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I, for one, am looking forward to Sister Mary Shamestress getting whats coming to her.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

blarzgh posted:

I, for one, am looking forward to Sister Mary Shamestress getting whats coming to her.

Pope of Westeros? She loving owns.

"Shame" on your post :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raphisonfire
May 2, 2009

blarzgh posted:

She will be the one to face the mountain in the trial by combat.

• Locked thread