Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
For some reason that Vox article is coming to mind right about now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grognan posted:

FPTP is literally satan at this point. Because there is no center left besides a couple voices. I am still pulling the lever for not-trump but that does not loving endear me to that mentality.

FPTP is not the reason there isn't a further left party.

Grognan posted:

I don't agree, ergo I don't understand. nice liberalism?

You've like completely whiffed on the dang point someone has tried to make like three times. Like the reason people in Appalachia aren't voting for liberal candidates has very little to do with taxes (which you also apparently think are largely voted on for some reason) it's because they don't even listen to what you're going to do for them with those taxes because they turned off at "and coal is not a part of the future for this country," because, shock-shock a region that has been promised poo poo over and over by a government that has consistently under performed, doesn't trust them to replace those coal jobs with anything.

pacmania90 posted:

LOLing real hard over here about blaming poor West Virginians for not being as "enlightened" as coastal liberals.

I don't blame them entirely.

Also I a native WV who lives and works here.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 04:31 on May 11, 2016

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I'm definitely not a coastal liberal.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

pacmania90 posted:

LOLing real hard over here about blaming poor West Virginians for not being as "enlightened" as coastal liberals.

West Virginians are dumb as gently caress, they just don't deserve for their state to be a dying shithole because of it :v:

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Crowsbeak posted:

For some reason that Vox article is coming to mind right about now.

I think most people in this thread blame the situation and not the people hurt by it. At least that's my intention. I disagree with their solution is all. But blame those who just want to feed their family? I'm not cool doing that.

I think it's really easy to misread when discussing a subject like this.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.rawstory.com/2016/05/sc-man-who-shot-and-slow-cooked-intruders-out-on-bail-thanks-to-stand-your-ground-law/

quote:

Using the “stand your ground” defense, a Goose Creek man was granted bail on Monday in the shooting death of two men whose bodies he burned after he killed them, the Post Courier is reporting.

James Edward Loftis, 39, is facing murder charges in the deaths of taxi driver Guma Oz Dubar, 46, and his friend James Cody Newland, 32, on March 5 after they demanded he pay his fare following a ride home from a strip club.

Loftis admitted that he shot both men before dragging their bodies outside his house, where he placed them in a shallow grave and set them on fire along with his bloody clothes before burying them.

Conceding that what Loftis did was “heinous,” his attorney defended his client saying he was within his rights to defend himself in his own home under the state’s “stand your ground” laws.

“He’s a human being,” Stephen Harris said. “He freaked out and thought he was going to prison, so he tried to hide the bodies. Nobody knows how you’re going to react when you kill two people.”

:yikes:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I would advance the notion between the Red Scare and the reaction to any leftward movement that it really IS a reason that there isn't an explicit voice for labor or the poor.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

You've like completely whiffed on the dang point someone has tried to make like three times. Like the reason people in Appalachia aren't voting for liberal candidates has very little to do with taxes (which you also apparently think are largely voted on for some reason) it's because they don't even listen to what you're going to do for them with those taxes because they turned off at "and coal is not a part of the future for this country," because, shock-shock a region that has been promised poo poo over and over by a government that has consistently under performed, doesn't trust them to replace those coal jobs with anything.

I don't blame them entirely.
Actually they probably stopped listening at "TAXES" because talk radio and reaganism got elections. Because we(lots and lots of white families had it good for so long) always whine about taxes on rental properties, stocks, investments, and inheritance. We are literally seeing class based myopia on the actual consequences of not actually paying for societal upkeep. Now we're playing catchup while the whole New Deal system is being distorted or terminated for short term electoral gain.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grognan posted:

I would advance the notion between the Red Scare and the reaction to any leftward movement that it really IS a reason that there isn't an explicit voice for labor or the poor.

Actually they probably stopped listening at "TAXES" because talk radio and reaganism got elections. Because we(lots and lots of white families had it good for so long) always whine about taxes on rental properties, stocks, investments, and inheritance. We are literally seeing class based myopia on the actual consequences of not actually paying for societal upkeep. Now we're playing catchup while the whole New Deal system is being distorted or terminated for short term electoral gain.

You, once again, do not know what you're talking about -- this is just some like freshman year political science major poo poo.

Like you're trying to shove in issues of how US voters view taxation in the context of a fairly narrow conversation about why rural whites in Appalachia vote against their own interests.

Pretty much anyone in this thread accepts as a baseline that US voters are really loving dumb about how they view taxation for public services -- we get that and it's baked into anything else we're talking about here.

Grognan posted:

FPTP isn't the problem.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 11, 2016

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Elucidate motherfucker instead of telling me I am ignorant. Explain and actually bring info forward instead of defaulting on a "you are not as educated as me so I tell you so. Obviously you didn't get my college education."

Also, why isn't FPTP the problem. There are clearly better representative voting models. Parliamentary or any sort of runoff voting might possibly be better than a system conceived in the 18th century.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Grognan posted:

Elucidate motherfucker instead of telling me I am ignorant. Explain and actually bring info forward instead of defaulting on a "you are not as educated as me so I tell you so. Obviously you didn't get my college education."

That's the uspol way my friend.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Grognan posted:

FPTP isn't the reason why far left candidates don't win elections in the US. It's because the US electorate isn't far left -- for a lot of reasons.

And read the rest of the post I made above where i explained that "dumb ideas about taxes" are pre-baked into anything we're talking about.

Grognan posted:

Also, why isn't FPTP the problem. There are clearly better representative voting models. Parliamentary or any sort of runoff voting might possibly be better than a system conceived in the 18th century.

FPTP exists in a bunch of parliamentary systems. (UK, Canada, etc.)

Runoff (jungle primaries) already exist in the US and they tend to have some weird results, and you certainly don't want the Presidential race being a jungle primary.

If you mean to say you'd prefer a parliamentary system -- that's a different substantive argument because parliamentary systems have drawbacks of their own. (and this is all to say, pipe dreaming because it's not going to change.)

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 04:58 on May 11, 2016

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

Grognan posted:

This post smells like a distillery

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

DemeaninDemon posted:

That's the uspol way my friend.

That could be the case.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This post smells like a distillery

I am taking the hint and although you weren't there when 1SG literally said that I will go shoot robots now.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

FPTP isn't the reason why far left candidates don't win elections in the US. It's because the US electorate isn't far left -- for a lot of reasons.

FPTP means that third parties get crushed. So yes, if the electorate was hyper leftist we'd have 2 leftist parties. But FPTP is a big reason why non-majoritarian parties, such as leftist ones, don't win elections.

So yes, FPTP is part of the issue in the lack of representation of leftist ideas in elected politicians.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

FPTP means that third parties get crushed. So yes, if the electorate was hyper leftist we'd have 2 leftist parties. But FPTP is a big reason why non-majoritarian parties, such as leftist ones, don't win elections.

So yes, FPTP is part of the issue in the lack of representation of leftist ideas in elected politicians.

This is really bad circular logic that ignores the actual reason third parties don't exist in this country -- which is the majority of people are centrists, and have been for a very long time. To say little of the funding barriers to a third party (which is the biggest issue.)

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 05:04 on May 11, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Let's not forget this part:
"While Loftis has given police varying accounts of what happened that evening — once saying he invited the men in, while another time saying they barged into his home — several facts are not in dispute."

He at one point told the cops he invited the guys in to his house, yet the judge didn't tell him to shut the gently caress up when he invoked a SYG defense even though the guy's own story (at one point) would make SYG an impossible defense since the people were invited in (and then murdered).

The upside to Trump winning is that we have a much higher chance of nuclear annihilation and letting the earth get a do-over, eventually.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Here's a better question for you Grogan, what do you think FPTP means.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is really bad circular logic that ignores the actual reason third parties don't exist in this country -- which is the majority of people are centrists, and have been for a very long time.

Are you really trying to argue that FPTP doesn't hamper third parties?

Maybe you should take that freshman year class you mentioned earlier.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

The only place that's really true is the US -- which seems to indicate that FPTP itself isn't the problem. Lot's of FPTP systems have strong third parties who help form plurality governments.

Duverger's Law applies to an extent, but it's not the ONLY factor and FPTP isn't the primary reason we don't have third parties in the US, and move to a plurality system can create problems of it's own that are just as serious to the ability to govern.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 11, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The best part about the WV situation is that, the second any public polling progress is made for moving away from coal, the coal baron governor will just sell off a shitload of state assets and claim that one year windfall as proof that coal is making a big comeback. Then spend the next 10 years blaming Democrats and liberals for the fact that things are now, in fact, worse

climboutonalimb
Sep 4, 2004

I get knocked down but I get up again You are never going to keep me down

Trabisnikof posted:

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/duvergers-law-dead-parrot-dunleavy/

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

The best part about the WV situation is that, the second any public polling progress is made for moving away from coal, the coal baron governor will just sell off a shitload of state assets and claim that one year windfall as proof that coal is making a big comeback. Then spend the next 10 years blaming Democrats and liberals for the fact that things are now, in fact, worse

I don't think Jim Justice will do that, to be honest.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Let's not forget this part:
"While Loftis has given police varying accounts of what happened that evening — once saying he invited the men in, while another time saying they barged into his home — several facts are not in dispute."

He at one point told the cops he invited the guys in to his house, yet the judge didn't tell him to shut the gently caress up when he invoked a SYG defense even though the guy's own story (at one point) would make SYG an impossible defense since the people were invited in (and then murdered).

The upside to Trump winning is that we have a much higher chance of nuclear annihilation and letting the earth get a do-over, eventually.

Detention hearing have weird rules when it comes to what testimony is admitted and considered. I dunno how that state works, but defending on who and how the different stories came into play, judge might not have been able to keep it out.

Giving the dumb gently caress bail seems like a bad judgment call.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Grondoth posted:

People are dumb trying to vote their way into their industry staying around, and yeah coal is garbage. But they're also trying to save their towns and way of life. It should be no surprise they're doing this.
A lot of 'saving towns and way of life' is done via tourism. Lobbying for Hillary and Bernie to make some places in West Virginia their summer rustic retreats.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Grognan posted:

Australia has a wonderfully proportional system for their Parliament, and they still have a government in power right now that's all about slashing current taxes, preventing new taxes, and incidentally running literal concentration camps for refugees.

The problem isn't the voting system, it's the electorate. If people believe and want dumb things, an electoral system that responds to their wishes gives us stupid policy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well that an also the fact that the country is absurdly right wing.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Bip Roberts posted:

Well that an also the fact that the country is absurdly right wing.

I think that depends on your standard.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

How dare coastal liberals vote for shitbag republicans in rural districts. Just showing up and voting for these vultures, if it wasn't for the city-slicker liberals stuffing the ballot box the woods would thrum with leftist uprisings.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So yeah, tonight Trump declared in an interview that he would appoint a Supreme Court Justice who would overturn Roe V Wade.

Courting that women vote.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So yeah, tonight Trump declared in an interview that he would appoint a Supreme Court Justice who would overturn Roe V Wade.

THE PIVOT!

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

One of the big issues is there's so much work that has to be done in this region before you can credibly say you can bring non-resource extraction jobs here.

Like any plan needs to comprehensively expand internet in the state (something like 36% of home have no access to high-speed internet); we need to comprehensively overhaul the state's education system and it needs a huge infusion of cash; we need to streamline our higher ed system to cut out about half the state colleges that are wasting resources; you need to build new and better roads, fund large scale investment in public transportation; improve and expand exsisting hospitals and open dozens of more rural health clinics across the state. Those are just some of the baseline things you need to do before you can bring in jobs to the area.

Can't we help them leave instead? Provide relocation assistance and job training to suit the area they're relocating to - that sort of thing. Yeah, it suck that their little towns are dying, but small towns die. That's where the phrase 'ghost town' comes from, after all. Hell, Detroit proves that big cities can pretty effectively go into a coma, too. Seems like that'd be more cost effective and faster, too.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is really bad circular logic that ignores the actual reason third parties don't exist in this country -- which is the majority of people are centrists, and have been for a very long time. To say little of the funding barriers to a third party (which is the biggest issue.)

The lack of a viable leftist party feeds directly into that centrism, though. The range of "valid" opinions are strongly limited by the edges of the two main parties. Sanders is the left-most edge for the population, and as far as the media goes Hillary really is. By defining anything outside those bounds as ridiculous fantasy it teaches people what valid opinions are allowed to be.

It's not all positive though, as we'd also have a very strong "America First" style party on the right.

You're right that it's not just FPTP though, our entire system has a lot of strong feedback that punishes third parties. More seats would help, but I think the core of the problem is land votes instead of people. You're the congressman for this chunk of land, elected by the majority of the people living in it's boundaries. A party with 25% support statewide gets exactly zero seats, since they're a minority in every patch of land. While it's technically possible to change that, it's practically impossible.

fishmech posted:

The problem isn't the voting system, it's the electorate. If people believe and want dumb things, an electoral system that responds to their wishes gives us stupid policy.

Republicans get a minority of votes in the country, yet hold a massive majority of seats due to gerrymandering. Even when they get a slight majority, their representation gets amplified due to bullshit district boundaries. I don't think it's the fault of the electorate when that happens.

Harik fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 11, 2016

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Congratulations Associate Justice Ted Cruz or Alabama Asshat Dude.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

The only place that's really true is the US -- which seems to indicate that FPTP itself isn't the problem. Lot's of FPTP systems have strong third parties who help form plurality governments.

Are we talking about FPTP or winner-takes-all elections, because those are not the same thing. Non-representative voting in the US is certainly a major reason for the 2 party system (along with your hosed-up campaign finance laws), and countries that use FPTP voting are typically parliamentary systems with representational party voting.

botany fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 11, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
You'll never guess who's behind all that money going into non-partisan judicial races nationwide!

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Whether or not Duverger's law is deterministic, the argument that you're "wasting your vote" or that your vote helps your opponent, along with the really high viability thresholds, definitely help reinforce the two party system. Just saying it can help sway voters away from third party temptation.

We also have an extensive primary system that helps parties resolve intra-party competition, and let's different factions fight it out without risking handing over the election to the other side. For example, If your libertarian faction can't even get a majority of Republican primary voters, why bother running a party that you know will lose, and will hand it to the dems?

JosefStalinator fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 11, 2016

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
If Strasser had not died, and had instead won and gotten to power, we could've avoided so much slaughter. We basically live in social fascism as it is but of the Nazi kind, as we the West have imperial domination of the globe by means of militarist nationalism and covert intimation of white anglophone european ethnic supremacy delivered by an unjust corporatist system. the Big Lie, Big Other / Enemy in the Marcusian sense and social darwinism are still very mch present and none is of course undertaken in the interest of a classless society.

I believe the Trump candidacy would be terrible if brought to fruition, as it would increase in the power of the financialist-capitalist interest groups. The proper Strasserite candidate, just like Corbyn in the UK, is of course: Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. Hillary's ties to the financial elite are too strong to ignore but I think that without the Sanders plan to liberate higher learning institutions from the clutches of the financial elite, the impending student debt crisis will materialize under Hillary's watch, the consequences of which will at least prepare a new jugend for Bernie or another candidate.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

Those other countries (the UK, Canada, India) have parliamentary systems with strong party discipline. US parties have room for more ideological diversity (although this is becoming less true). It doesn't make sense for a new faction to start their own party when they can simply hijack an existing party, as has happened repeatedly over the past 150 years.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders posted:

If Strasser had not died, and had instead won and gotten to power, we could've avoided so much slaughter. We basically live in social fascism as it is but of the Nazi kind, as we the West have imperial domination of the globe by means of militarist nationalism and covert intimation of white anglophone european ethnic supremacy delivered by an unjust corporatist system. the Big Lie, Big Other / Enemy in the Marcusian sense and social darwinism are still very mch present and none is of course undertaken in the interest of a classless society.

I believe the Trump candidacy would be terrible if brought to fruition, as it would increase in the power of the financialist-capitalist interest groups. The proper Strasserite candidate, just like Corbyn in the UK, is of course: Bernie Sanders or Hillary Clinton. Hillary's ties to the financial elite are too strong to ignore but I think that without the Sanders plan to liberate higher learning institutions from the clutches of the financial elite, the impending student debt crisis will materialize under Hillary's watch, the consequences of which will at least prepare a new jugend for Bernie or another candidate.

HAHA what the gently caress is this poo poo? The gently caress is wrong with you?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010
Trump would serve the interests of the National Bolsheviks and the Pan-Asiatic movement spearheaded by Alexandr Dugin. A trump presidency would be the geopolitical equivalent of Limonov shooting a sniper rifle into Sarajevo.

• Locked thread