Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Is spirit basically a total dump stat? Even on casters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

It's good in some Cleric builds and in PvP.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Current Build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/vqtlyqtpd0/

Any comments would be nice :3:

Idc about PVP. I'll be focusing on PVE and soloing atm.

So far I like the Ost and it's oddly soothing to kill tons of onions with spells.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Alder posted:

Current Build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/vqtlyqtpd0/

Any comments would be nice :3:

Idc about PVP. I'll be focusing on PVE and soloing atm.

So far I like the Ost and it's oddly soothing to kill tons of onions with spells.

it looks like a good build. dont take ice blast, period. its a filler skill that you wont use again once you get psycho3. put that point into gust instead. im not an expert on psychokino but id make sure teleport works like he says it does before going into that.

other than that, good stuff imo

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Scoss posted:

there's items and gems that add sp recovery to the point where any points in spirit are wasted. combat sitting to regen sp is a thing as well. on some classes, it actively makes you worse. like sorcerer for example.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Scoss posted:

It's decent for priest type builds because it boosts their buffs.

It's worse than int, an arguably already kind of garbage stat (that you should still get as a damaging caster focused on pve), for casters.

Silento posted:

Evasion is actually very good, even with -79 evade from Finestra I still evade very often with only like 140-50 dex at nearly 230. Also, crit is awesome and Hoplite gets tons, which goes good with Dragoon if you aren't forced to go Templar like me. Also also, I don't think swordys do that much less damage than the average other class. Their main problem is they do that damage from melee range, which opens them up to taking tons of damage from high level monsters, damage which their once-substantial hp boost does not scale to match.
Built in crit is fine. The issue is str gives better returns than dex for damage, even with crit, unless you pass a really high amount of attack. Depending on lots of things you don't lose much damage getting some dex, and dex owns in pvp supposedly.

The issue with evasion is that it's not necessary or that useful for endgame pve stuff. Just due to how everything that isn't evasion works rather than evasion itself. It's not actually a bad thing at all, it's just a completely unnecessary thing with how pve works right now.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 11, 2016

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Blazing Zero posted:

it looks like a good build. dont take ice blast, period. its a filler skill that you wont use again once you get psycho3. put that point into gust instead. im not an expert on psychokino but id make sure teleport works like he says it does before going into that.

other than that, good stuff imo

Thanks will keep that in mind as I rank skills.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

I'm not sure you have 100% control over the direction, but most of the time it will go the way your inputting. The distance in that direction that it moves you is random, however.

Also guild is full! If you get to rank 7 I'll probably kick someone for you so get leveling!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Khorne posted:

It's decent for priest type builds because it boosts their buffs.

It's worse than int, an arguably already kind of garbage stat (that you should still get as a damaging caster focused on pve), for casters.

So do I just not want to invest INT at all as a caster? I think I've put 2 points into it on the very small amount of time I've gotten to mess around but I figure that's not really going to break a build. What I've read is basically just pump a bunch of CON and be a beef wizard.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

So do I just not want to invest INT at all as a caster? I think I've put 2 points into it on the very small amount of time I've gotten to mess around but I figure that's not really going to break a build. What I've read is basically just pump a bunch of CON and be a beef wizard.
I'm pretty sure the dps casters who are pve focused get int. I'd just check a guide for whatever build you are.

PVP focused people tend to get pretty much no int. I know cryo3/chrono3 goes loads of con, and the support builds go loads of con.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Hm.

I know I want to do Cryo 3 but beyond that I am still pretty undecided on what to look at. Linker seems like good fun but is supposedly not the cleanest fit with Cryo. Same with Thaumaturge. As always MMOs saddle me with crippling indecision. :v:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Soothing Vapors posted:

--
|oo|
  --

Huh, that's actually pretty cool.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Silento posted:

Also guild is full! If you get to rank 7 I'll probably kick someone for you so get leveling!

I kinda want to do this but is the grind that bad :v: ?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Having seen it in action first-hand it's very cool.

I've been in groups of 5 full top dps archers and elementalists and this one particular combo just has the dps of 20 of those people rolled up into one. It just requires a bit of setup and is on the ice wall cool down, something that affects all cryopsycho builds.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Oh wait this crystal mine area recommends level 20 and I'm only 13. :v:

I'm guessing I should be using these EXP cards maybe? I know you wanna save some around 170 or so as I've read.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

no not yet, being within 10 of the level of the mobs is fine

quests will be given out up to 10 levels below the zone's recommended level, just keep questing until you run out of zones to quest in (or you get in card range of level 50)

Groggy nard
Aug 6, 2013

How does into botes?

Soothing Vapors posted:

there's a wizard class called psychokino that has a long channeled melee move called psychic pressure (pp) that does constant damage at your wizardman's fingertips
there's a wizard class called pyromancer that lets you make little fireballs. when you hit them they move. if you hold PP down on a fireball the fireball will like shoot sparks everywhere, which is good. but you can't do this for long because the ball will move.
there's another wizard class called cryomancer that lets you draw ice walls. if you hold PP down on an ice wall it will shoot ice shards everywhere, which is good.

what gibcount is saying is you draw ice walls around two fireballs like this:

--
|oo|
  --

and then hold down psychic pressure on the whole mess. the fireball can't move because it's pinned by the icewall. which will create a hilarious chain reaction of cascading damage effects as the fireball and the ice wall shower sparks and shards into each other.

it's a super gimmick build meant to shred bosses and probably not for newbies but it also sounds really fun

I am going to call this the "Goatse cannon"

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Soothing Vapors posted:

there's a wizard class called psychokino that has a long channeled melee move called psychic pressure (pp) that does constant damage at your wizardman's fingertips
there's a wizard class called pyromancer that lets you make little fireballs. when you hit them they move. if you hold PP down on a fireball the fireball will like shoot sparks everywhere, which is good. but you can't do this for long because the ball will move.
there's another wizard class called cryomancer that lets you draw ice walls. if you hold PP down on an ice wall it will shoot ice shards everywhere, which is good.

what gibcount is saying is you draw ice walls around two fireballs like this:

--
|oo|
  --

and then hold down psychic pressure on the whole mess. the fireball can't move because it's pinned by the icewall. which will create a hilarious chain reaction of cascading damage effects as the fireball and the ice wall shower sparks and shards into each other.

it's a super gimmick build meant to shred bosses and probably not for newbies but it also sounds really fun

ima use this ridiculous sounding poo poo

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
What's up with the cool onion hats i see everywhere? Can I too get a cool onion hat?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

it can drop in that very first zone from the kepas

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
here is a cool google doc for all your hatte needs

Coffee Mugshot
Jun 26, 2010

by Lowtax
I don't think spirit is a dump stat honestly but I'm a SPR only chaplain so maybe I'm just insane

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Khorne posted:

For pve the current fad classes are:

wizard: wizard3/elementalist3/warlock is very popular right now. There are other builds they just aren't so popular, probably because archer/cleric are seen as stronger dps this patch.
cleric: support cleric2/priest3/?/plague doctor the ? is chaplain generally, and it's common to go cleric1/priest3/chaplain/cleric2/plague doc I think
dps cleric2/diev3/druid/either druid2 or plague doctor - one of the highest dps characters in the end game, dominates world bosses, can support in dungeons into the 200s, dps is immobile though because its owl statues require pulls around them
archer: archer3/quarrel shooter3/cannoneer is the fad right now I think, but there are fletcher and archer2/qs3/scout or falconer/musketeer builds as well
swordsman: this class is pretty bad right now relative to the other 3 in pve. If you grab pelt1 can tank and at least off tank in earth tower and some people run full con pelt3s who literally just tank. But pelt3 is awful to level. If you are going a pve build dopple is supposed to be the most competitive rank7 choice, but I don't know the ideal build up to it.

to add to this:
wiz 3 / ele 3 is basically complete as a class. so you can pick what you like for the final circle. I'd look into the other classes besides warlock because warlock honestly sucks a bit. The only spell that isn't trash is dark theuge, but even that requires you to be in melee range. People just take it because it's the korean meta and I think they are hoping the c2 won't be poo poo. I would take necro 1 just for flesh cannon because it is a ridiculously powerful spell. While it has a smallish area of effect, it does have 5 aoe radius, does 16 hits to everything in range and is on a short 20 second cooldown. It will also cost you 250 silver per cast to get the corpses from a potion the vendor sells.

archer 1 / ranger 3 / fletcher 3 is a popular high dps build.

archer 2 / ranger 3 / falconer 1 / cannoneer 1 is also good.

sword 1 / pelt 1 / hoplite 3 / doppel 1 / dragoon 1. pelt 1 has everything you need so never go more than c1 pelt. and never go more than sword 1 unless you plan to pvp, then you go all 3 class circles.

futile
May 18, 2009
For all you new fucks there's something important that will drastically increase your leveling speed.

In town there are players with blue colored spell shops selling buffs. Buy the max level/max attribute Sacrament and Blessing buffs from these people. It may seem expensive early on but the 1000-1500 silver they cost is nothing later on.

Also, don't use the brown colored Squire shops. They are poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Voted Worst Mom posted:

I don't think spirit is a dump stat honestly but I'm a SPR only chaplain so maybe I'm just insane
Priest/chaplain is like the only class I can think of that likes spirit.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I think I've finally decided on my first trial run being a C3 Cryo/C3 Psychokino. I know it's more a PVP build than a PVE one but it looked fun to me and having excessive amounts of CC and enemy placement skills seems cool.

I still wanna figure out some kinda Cleric build at some point too though since there's some interesting concepts going on. Particularly Bokor, Sadhu, Oracle, and Kabbalist.

I'm enjoying myself so far though with the barest amount of playtime. :v:

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 11, 2016

Khorne
May 1, 2002

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I think I've finally decided on my first trial run being a C3 Cryo/C3 Psychokino. I know it's more a PVP build than a PVE one but it looked fun to me and having excessive amounts of CC and enemy placement skills seems cool.

I still wanna figure out some kinda Cleric build at some point too though since there's some interesting concepts going on. Particularly Bokor, Sadhu, Oracle, and Kabbalist.

They nerfed cryo+psycho in pvp on kToS. It didn't make its way to international yet, but it should pretty soon.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I hope you don't mean all those classes are the same time. Because that sounds like a terrible build.

Bokor is poo poo. Bokor using hex and effigy is less poo poo.

Sadhu is good with fair risk / reward imo.

Oracle is only good for pvp.

Kabbalists are real nice to have as a mana battery for your group.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 09:36 on May 11, 2016

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
my main is a kriv 3 druid and its not as good as the fotm but its really really good still, if anyone is looking at alternative dps clerics. People really like your buff that lets other people have more buffs but there are scrolls for the less than rank 15 version of the spell, but having the spell is nice. Not sure what you are giving up since I never played owl statue man but right now I'm leveling an elementalist to go warlock and its pretty fun as well. For stats so far on both builds I have gone about 125/100 con and the rest int. That is pry a little high since it was before i realized targets included hp totals but you can't really go wrong with a little to much hp i think.

Thats my few cents from what I have seen but I am not a major poopsocker and don't do much end game stuff(not there yet) or play with goons so I could be way off base.

Sacro
Jul 21, 2008

I was somewhere around the middle of page 86 in the Cognitive Dissonance thread when the drugs began to take hold.

only only only only only only
If you want ultragimmick ice wall combos you bring a runecaster and 2 cryo3s (one can be the runecaster) and drop 3 max length walls parallel to each other leading to a boss, have the runecaster +300% ice buff, then have a monk kamehameha in between the walls. I don't think there is a way to squeeze out more ice wall damage than that.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
So I've decided to give this game a go. I've had a quick look at the class system and I'm thinking about running a Cleric. I'm a little paranoid though, I don't want to get a character going only to ruin it with poor choices. Anyone got any tips?

I'm hoping for something that can solo, but has a decent amount of group utility. Maybe a debuffer?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

What other classes should I take if I plan for my core character concept to take 3 circles in psychokino (mostly because it sounds cool)? I was thinking maybe Necromancer or Sorcerer for late stuff, but what should I take for circle 2?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Rahzmataz posted:

So I've decided to give this game a go. I've had a quick look at the class system and I'm thinking about running a Cleric. I'm a little paranoid though, I don't want to get a character going only to ruin it with poor choices. Anyone got any tips?

I'm hoping for something that can solo, but has a decent amount of group utility. Maybe a debuffer?

don't go cleric 3.

enemies don't really live long enough for most debuffs to matter. so conversely you should do priest 3 because buffs do matter and priests have some of the best.

Infinity Gaia posted:

What other classes should I take if I plan for my core character concept to take 3 circles in psychokino (mostly because it sounds cool)? I was thinking maybe Necromancer or Sorcerer for late stuff, but what should I take for circle 2?

3 circles in cryomancer. or at least 1.

cryo / kino is CC for days.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 11, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Sacro posted:

If you want ultragimmick ice wall combos you bring a runecaster and 2 cryo3s (one can be the runecaster) and drop 3 max length walls parallel to each other leading to a boss, have the runecaster +300% ice buff, then have a monk kamehameha in between the walls. I don't think there is a way to squeeze out more ice wall damage than that.

4x goatse cannon wiz would beat it lol

not that you would ever need that because just 1 melts the highest hp bosses in mere seconds

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I hope you don't mean all those classes are the same time. Because that sounds like a terrible build.

Bokor is poo poo. Bokor using hex and effigy is less poo poo.

Sadhu is good with fair risk / reward imo.

Oracle is only good for pvp.

Kabbalists are real nice to have as a mana battery for your group.

Not not all at the same time I'm not insane. They are just the interesting stuff to me.

Would something like C2 Krivis/C3 Sadhu/C1 ??? work well? I'm guessing Sadhu is mostly INT based anyways.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

I think c3 sadhu is a waste, no more than c2 sadhu

That would let you get c2 druid for murder grass and Invuln grass to protect your body

Stop at c2 krivis too

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Not not all at the same time I'm not insane. They are just the interesting stuff to me.

Would something like C2 Krivis/C3 Sadhu/C1 ??? work well? I'm guessing Sadhu is mostly INT based anyways.

Yea all your damage while you are in out of body form is from INT.

I don't think anyone goes sadhu 3. People go 2 for possession, but even 1 has enough range to keep you safe from boss aoes.

Definitely go cleric 2 though, because that will give you access to fade which will help mobs not attack your body. So cleric 2 / krivis 2 / sadhu 2 then whatever for your last circle.

edit: Just incase you don't know, all your spells are dropped at your body while you are in out of body form. There isn't a cooldown to swap in and out of it, but just a consideration.
Also any damage your body takes will knock you out of OOB mode. But your OOB form is completely invincible iirc. Mobs dont even target you leading to hilarious situations where you are punching their faces in and they are just standing there taking it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 11, 2016

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

sadhu also used to be really powerful until a recent patch wrecked its dmg. if you want to be a damaging cleric, dont do sadhu imo

another anecdote: i know of two goons who made sadhus. one of them deleted that character and the other doesnt play this game anymore

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 11, 2016

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

This is all very reassuring. :v: I'm just gonna gently caress around with everything until something really clicks with me, but I appreciate you all putting up with the 20 questions. Being horribly confused and crippled with indecision is what makes these kind of games fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
As I rank up and select stuff are those choices locked in to place? I just made a Cleric and got to level 3 but the class system seems like it's pretty easy to destroy my character. My goal is to be a cleric who can solo but be wanted (LOVE ME) in groups.

• Locked thread