Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

MustardFacial posted:

So I'm going back to school in September. About a month ago I went to the school's Open House just to get a lay of the land, get some questions answered, that sort of thing. While I was there I entered a contest to win a $5000 tuition voucher on a whim. Got an email today saying that I won.

:what:

:drat:

Congratulations! (or is it one of those for-profit schools that is trying to rope you in with "free" stuff at the beginning to try to keep you there so that they can feed off you for a few years?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

QuarkMartial posted:

Just finished taking a licensing test to teach special education and I feel like I did really well on it. Will have results in 17 days, and it'll open more teaching doors for me.

Also makes you uniquely qualified to talk to us :yayclod:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

for-profit schools

Don't fool yourself, every school is for profit, you'd be surprised how often I have to remind people here. Just because we're a community college doesn't mean we're not for profit. Guess what has to happen when attendance dips? Sorry people, we have to trim the fat somewhere and it's usually in the area of part-timers and then it's by newer hires first unless older faculty/classified/managers want to take a golden parachute.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

meatpimp posted:

:drat:

Congratulations! (or is it one of those for-profit schools that is trying to rope you in with "free" stuff at the beginning to try to keep you there so that they can feed off you for a few years?)

It's a fairly well regarded technical school for the area, and the course I'm taking is considered pretty decent for the field. I think the tuition will be less than the $5000 though, so hopefully I get to spend the rest on books.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I've just realised what the Google self driving golf car reminds me of from the front, a tiny bay window vw bus. That's been bugging me for ages.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

meatpimp posted:

Best motor for that car.

Take the pipe off and put it back on, it's one of the turbo system pipes and there may be some oily residue in it, but nothing is going to pour out (if it does, something else, much more major is wrong).

Plug change should be no big deal. But if he's struggling with securing a couple of Torx bits, maybe he is better off getting it done professionally.

It's kind of a shame. Has less miles than my 06 F150(168k vs 228k) but runs so much worse. They routinely go 20k between oil changes because it costs so much (then why did you buy one with a sport tuned engine?!). He should just let a shop do it since he's terrified of removing that pipe; I just know they are struggling with money and could have avoided spending more if they just mentioned it to me before I visited. Ah well.

Cakefool posted:

Also makes you uniquely qualified to talk to us :yayclod:

I'll use short sentences. :yayclod:

E: also a 5 grand voucher for school is p sweet

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

keykey posted:

Don't fool yourself, every school is for profit, you'd be surprised how often I have to remind people here. Just because we're a community college doesn't mean we're not for profit. Guess what has to happen when attendance dips? Sorry people, we have to trim the fat somewhere and it's usually in the area of part-timers and then it's by newer hires first unless older faculty/classified/managers want to take a golden parachute.

I've worked in it for 15 years. I know the way the system works. There's still a difference between state funded schools and straight for-profit schools.

I looked at teaching at a for-profit school. Lasted all of the orientation meeting where it was entirely focused on taking attendance at multiple times of the class session to document who was present and when, so that the financial aid could be kept properly... there were no shits given for the scripted curriculum. At least at a State school I can teach what I want, when I want, how I want, as long as I stay within some very broad goals/guidelines.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

keykey posted:

But they really shouldn't be. Especially Public institutions.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

CommieGIR posted:

But they really shouldn't be. Especially Public institutions.

State employees here are unionized. Further, there is your specific trade union within the state employee union. I worked for one of the two state university systems so I was in an educational union inside the state employee's union. Try busting that poo poo.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

I've just realised what the Google self driving golf car reminds me of from the front, a tiny bay window vw bus. That's been bugging me for ages.
Have you seen the Subaru kei van ones? :3:

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

meatpimp posted:

I looked at teaching at a for-profit school. Lasted all of the orientation meeting where it was entirely focused on taking attendance at multiple times of the class session to document who was present and when, so that the financial aid could be kept properly...

In CA, we call that a Student Learning Outcome and it's tied directly to both Full Time Equivalent Student count and Accreditation.

fyodor posted:

State employees here are unionized. Further, there is your specific trade union within the state employee union. I worked for one of the two state university systems so I was in an educational union inside the state employee's union. Try busting that poo poo.

That's exactly it. When I was Union, I viewed my dues as monthly hush money I threw out to get paid an exorbitant amount next to my private enterprise counterparts.

keykey fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 11, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

fyodor posted:

You can unionize and work for a non-profit entity. That's not how it works.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cage posted:

Unless you have a medical or physical problem losing weight is pretty easy, especially the bigger you are. (until you get to a non-mobile state, then it gets tougher)

I've lost over 25 pounds since Feb 1st. It could've been more, but I still partake in weed and too much pizza every other week or so. You should be exercising more than "semi-regularly" if you're serious about loosing weight.

Exercise is mostly for feeling and looking better. Losing weight is 99% in the kitchen, because unless you're going to pull an Eddie Izzard and run a marathon every day for a month, you aren't going to burn enough calories to make up for bad eating habits. Especially if you, like most of us, have a lovely sedentary job.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

QuarkMartial posted:

Lettuce wraps a pretty tasty, no lie, but loving being a lettuce nazi.

Just finished taking a licensing test to teach special education and I feel like I did really well on it. Will have results in 17 days, and it'll open more teaching doors for me.

Car-related: Parents own a 2006 XC90 with the 2.5T engine. Stepdad was trying to do a tuneup on it, but told me there was a bar over the engine. Turns out, it's a pipe for the intercooler. It's not filled with coolant or anything is it? I am not exactly sure what an intercooler is, though I suspect it helps cool / provide cooler air for the turbo.

Either way, stepdad would rather pay some shifty mechanic 30 bucks to change the plugs than pay the same amount (or less) for the two torx bits he needs. Too bad they live 3 hours away and they didn't tell me about it before I visited, otherwise I'd have brought my own tools and changed them for him. It's running really rough, and throwing a CEL that he says says misfire on multiple/all cylinders. My money would be on MAF being bad since he previously had a code for that(I think, he's not good at describing things...) and tried to clean it. Probably bad and not dirty, but I have no clue; plugs are cheaper than a MAF.

Note: Dude just did all this without my input. Not that he has to answer to me or anything like that; I just showed up for mother's day and he was all "hey car's running rough, what's this so I can change plugs?"

How did he try to clean the MAF? Some of them are very sensitive about how and with what they are cleaned (I know nothing about modern Volvos - just general EFI stuff.) There are spray cleaners specifically for cleaning MAFs.
And the intercooler itself should be near the radiator - that's just a charge pipe, AKA intake piping. Loosen clamps, pop off, do whatever, replace, tighten clamps.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Liquid Communism posted:

Exercise is mostly for feeling and looking better. Losing weight is 99% in the kitchen, because unless you're going to pull an Eddie Izzard and run a marathon every day for a month, you aren't going to burn enough calories to make up for bad eating habits. Especially if you, like most of us, have a lovely sedentary job.

Sure if you eat trash everyday and exercise 3 times a week nothing will happen. A cardio and weights workout is equally important as eating right, though. When you lift weights your muscles tear and help you burn calories while they repair. I eat healthy, but I don't eat crazily healthy. I work at a desk for 8 hours a day I don't see what that has to do with anything.

I'm not saying one or the other is more important. Get off your butt and do both.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Yeah it is really difficult to offset a lovely diet with exercise. But I found that getting into the habit of working out on a regular basis made me also want to eat better. I mostly just do my best to avoid eating too much sugar and limit beer drinking to a day or two a week. Usually I'll have a beer or two after our thursday group mtb ride and then stop by a brewery or two on friday evening and that's about it for the week.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

QuarkMartial posted:

Either way, stepdad would rather pay some shifty mechanic 30 bucks to change the plugs than pay the same amount (or less) for the two torx bits he needs. Too bad they live 3 hours away and they didn't tell me about it before I visited, otherwise I'd have brought my own tools and changed them for him. It's running really rough, and throwing a CEL that he says says misfire on multiple/all cylinders. My money would be on MAF being bad since he previously had a code for that(I think, he's not good at describing things...) and tried to clean it. Probably bad and not dirty, but I have no clue; plugs are cheaper than a MAF.

Sounds like the mechanic put the wrong plugs in. Those 2.5T engines are very sensitive to plug type and plug gap (ask me how i know -glares at 2004 XC70 with the same engine-) - they want bosch copper plugs, nothing fancier, and gapped to 0.7-0.8mm (which is bloody tiny) or they misfire like a BITCH.

E: Also you don't need to remove the turbo crossover pipe to change plugs :v: and the OE plugs from FCPEuro are bosch coppers and come pre-gapped.

literally a fish fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 11, 2016

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Darchangel posted:

How did he try to clean the MAF? Some of them are very sensitive about how and with what they are cleaned (I know nothing about modern Volvos - just general EFI stuff.) There are spray cleaners specifically for cleaning MAFs.
And the intercooler itself should be near the radiator - that's just a charge pipe, AKA intake piping. Loosen clamps, pop off, do whatever, replace, tighten clamps.

AFAIK he did use MAF cleaner.

Plugs haven't been changed yet either. Homestly, they'll probably drive it like this for a month before actually fixing it.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

No. Just no.

I could go into great detail and write for two hours or I can tell you that your approach is wrong, attacking the wrong problem, and coming up with the wrong solution. And it would probably end in an angry rant because most people (not saying you're one of them) who want to do this are god drat idiots and I hate interacting with them at all, as it leaves me dumber every time. That being said, I did say some poo poo about coming up with a decent automotive drivetrain/chassis electronics thread a while ago and I still aint done poo poo, so maybe I'll roll a decent description of how most of this works into that.

I would actually love a thread like that. There's not a whole lot of general info out there on car electronics and it would be super cool to learn a bit more about how it works. And, like I said man, it's not a good idea or the right solution but can it be done?

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

Nubile Hillock posted:

it's not a good idea or the right solution but can it be done?

Yes. It would cost more to do than the entire vehicle would be worth. It takes a lot more than resistors to permanently fool a modern-ish ECU - a lot of them will throw codes if they never see any variance in a sensor because that's an indicator of failure, amongst other multitudes of issues.

It could be done.

It should never be done.

It would be orders of magnitude cheaper to build a standalone system to run whatever components you want the stock box to run, or reprogram the stock box to not give a poo poo that it's not running the motor anymore.

And even then, get your carburetors away from my MPFI.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

My experience with a brand new car so far: I tried to unlock my front door by pressing the unlock button on my key fob.

Cars made in the last two decades are weird.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
You use the word "tried" like it failed somehow. Did you get into your car? :ohdear:

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

Slippery Tilde
I think he means the door of his house :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

Yes. It would cost more to do than the entire vehicle would be worth. It takes a lot more than resistors to permanently fool a modern-ish ECU - a lot of them will throw codes if they never see any variance in a sensor because that's an indicator of failure, amongst other multitudes of issues.

It could be done.

It should never be done.

It would be orders of magnitude cheaper to build a standalone system to run whatever components you want the stock box to run, or reprogram the stock box to not give a poo poo that it's not running the motor anymore.

And even then, get your carburetors away from my MPFI.

Okay wait, someone was seriously asking about putting a carby in a modern car??

LOL WTF

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Siochain posted:

Going to be polite about this here, but weight loss is a LOT loving harder than some people seem to think. I'm fighting that demon still. I've been at the point where surgery would have been an option, but that was 10+ years ago. Even now, watching what I eat and exercising at least semi-regularly, I fight with my weight. I'm active, and in better shape than most people my size, but I'm still a big mother-fucker. LaF went and did something for himself to improve his situation. If he doesn't keep watching what he eats and start exercising, it won't help (a ton). But, if he does, its a kick-rear end headstart, and I'm rooting for him.

I heard about this study recently on the radio:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

quote:

Researchers knew that just about anyone who deliberately loses weight — even if they start at a normal weight or even underweight — will have a slower metabolism when the diet ends. So they were not surprised to see that “The Biggest Loser” contestants had slow metabolisms when the show ended.

What shocked the researchers was what happened next: As the years went by and the numbers on the scale climbed, the contestants’ metabolisms did not recover. They became even slower, and the pounds kept piling on. It was as if their bodies were intensifying their effort to pull the contestants back to their original weight.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay wait, someone was seriously asking about putting a carby in a modern car??

LOL WTF

It's somewhat popular on LS motors by rednecks, or people trying to get the motor legal for racing in certain classes.

Question for the UK people: how is the graham norton show seen by you guys? Funny or poo poo?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter
$3200 2015 Birel chassis with LO206 engine, an extra set of tires and the kart stand. Wife won't let me get it because "you're going to be a dad in 3 weeks." Someone doesn't have their priorities straight. :colbert:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha your priorities will change willingly trust me. Wait until your kid is old enough to race karts and buy one then. That is a sweet cart tho.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Midniter posted:

Random question. My wife and I are trying to finally get on the same car insurance plan for the discount. I got two quotes - one at state minimums for liability, which is 30/60/25, and one at my current level of coverage which is 100/300/50. My wife and I are both good drivers with no tickets, violations, or accidents on our record. Is the state minimum super low or is that okay? It's only about a $20 difference in the monthly premium between the two coverages, but I'm not sure what makes sense since I have no real frame of reference on this sort of thing.

I'd spend the extra 20, that's cheap for the difference in coverage. Full disclosure, I carry 250/500/150 (not sure on that 150).

Do you have assets that anyone you run over could sue you for? How much do the cars cost on the road around you every day? It's incredibly easy to go over $30k just with property damage to any semi-newish car, let alone if there are medical bills involved. God forbid that you are at fault for nailing a new SUV of pretty much any variety, or something like a Tesla Model S, let alone any sort of luxury car or higher end sports car.

There are just way too many expensive vehicles on the road to gamble all your assets on low coverage if you can afford the higher levels.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

leica posted:

Haha your priorities will change willingly trust me. Wait until your kid is old enough to race karts and buy one then. That is a sweet cart tho.

She can race a kart if she wants*, I will support the poo poo out of that. But there is no way in hell I am not racing one also

*I will not buy her rain tires. That is how Jenson Button became the moist master. She will learn the same.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:48 on May 11, 2016

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I mean, I'm managing to lose a lot of weight on the amphetamines and diet soda plan, it's working for me! I mean, that's a joke, but I am making very slow incremental progress. I'm below 230 lbs (by 0.1 lb, but hey!) for the first time in ever, just... 70-75 more pounds to go!

Sinestro fucked around with this message at 07:26 on May 11, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I spent that last three months doing that bro word that means getting fat but is okay because reasons and it's been great. 165-200 in four months or so and now it's time to hit the gym so I can get chiseled

ughhhhhhh I just wanna eat all day

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

iwentdoodie posted:

Question for the UK people: how is the graham norton show seen by you guys? Funny or poo poo?

I don't watch it but occasional bits I have caught were alright. Standard celeb chat show stuff really. By the nation as a whole? Reasonably popular I guess as it's been going a few years and the guy now also host euro vision and seems to be continuing the "Wogan takes the piss out of everyone" approach. His best work was his few appearances on father ted though.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Tusen Takk posted:

I spent that last three months doing that bro word that means getting fat but is okay because reasons and it's been great. 165-200 in four months or so and now it's time to hit the gym so I can get chiseled

ughhhhhhh I just wanna eat all day

Please explain this because it sound likes you're just getting fat and going "I guess I'll work out now." But like having justifications for not being called a lardass.

I drink too much and am about 50 lbs overweight because of it. I hate going to the gym and my home gym was destroyed because baby. I will rebuild, and I will return to target weight.

MustardFacial fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 11, 2016

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Bulking and cutting is complete BS broscience. Just want you to know that.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Cage posted:

Sure if you eat trash everyday and exercise 3 times a week nothing will happen. A cardio and weights workout is equally important as eating right, though. When you lift weights your muscles tear and help you burn calories while they repair. I eat healthy, but I don't eat crazily healthy. I work at a desk for 8 hours a day I don't see what that has to do with anything.

I'm not saying one or the other is more important. Get off your butt and do both.

It doesn't even take eating badly, just consistently screwing up portion sizes. An extra bagel a day (~300 calories) takes about 3 miles walking to burn off.

Unless you're doing hard manual labor, or again, running marathons for fun, you'll never outrun a bad diet.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

iwentdoodie posted:

It's better than most chat shows but that isn't saying much.

What's the reason for the question?

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Lifelong Tory Voter

Liquid Communism posted:

It doesn't even take eating badly, just consistently screwing up portion sizes. An extra bagel a day (~300 calories) takes about 3 miles walking to burn off.

Unless you're doing hard manual labor, or again, running marathons for fun, you'll never outrun a bad diet.

Hell a single shot of vodka by itself is 97 calories. 6 shots of those is 582 calories. You can't outrun that poo poo. Especially if you've just had 6 shots of vodka.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

MustardFacial posted:

Hell a single shot of vodka by itself is 97 calories. 6 shots of those is 582 calories. You can't outrun that poo poo. Especially if you've just had 6 shots of vodka.

It's kinda scary, really.

Yesterday, I was at a local pub watching the hockey world cup with some friends, and afterwards I went to a rock/metal quiz with some other friends.

Over the course of the afternoon and evening, I had two of these:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/bud283jovicky-budvar-czech-imported-lager/1316/

One of these (extremely dark and very tasty, BTW):
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/harveys-prince-of-denmark/93506/

And four of these:
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/tuborg-gron-green/3201/

That's 1077 calories. One thousand and seventy-seven calories from drinks alone. Add a large serving of full-bodied Irish stew on top of that, and that's probably a full day's worth of calories. gently caress.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:30 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

literally a fish posted:

I think he means the door of his house :v:

I sometimes wonder why central locking on houses isn't a thing (or more of a thing, I'm guessing there are systems out there)

• Locked thread