Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whamukars
May 9, 2016

"There are no facts, only interpretations."

Xanderkish posted:

Man, I saw a video on Facebook a while back of some guy who had a summon do most of the killing of a boss, and there were people posting on their calling him a pussy and a retard for letting the summoned guy do most of the damage. People care way too much about this game, sometimes.

I wouldn't directly attack someone for that, but I would think he was a jerk for not pulling his weight. When I summon a player I greet them, make sure we're all ready for the fog door, and even tank for them if they're taking too much heat from the boss and can't heal, or toss a I'M SORRY at them if I die and bump into each other again. If he is just standing there like a goof while the summon is doing all the work (unless it's Tarkus) then you're just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand the concept teamwork and being a polite host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
When I get summoned I actually would like the host to play defensively, since if he dies I don't get poo poo anyway, but if I die, he can probably finish the boss off.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Nothing worse than getting summoned and just having the host die quickly. If I get summoned, I'm pretty much working under the assumption that summoner is struggling with the boss and basically just need someone else to come kill it for them. That's more or less why I summoned when I first played, so it's my default expectation for getting summoned.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Yeah, when you're fighting a boss with buddies, the best way to go about it is to have someone baiting the boss and the others attacking it while it's distracted. One of the summons should do the baiting since it's more dangerous and if they gently caress it up and die, it doesn't screw the whole team out of the win.

Summoning a buddy is fun, even if you're good enough to tackle the area by yourself. It's that jolly co-op thing that people talk about.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

When I summon someone, I immediately throw myself off a cliff if I see them attacking an enemy. Or if I have to attack an enemy. Pull your own weight/stop stealing all my kills you jackass/dude.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Whamukars posted:

I wouldn't directly attack someone for that, but I would think he was a jerk for not pulling his weight. When I summon a player I greet them, make sure we're all ready for the fog door, and even tank for them if they're taking too much heat from the boss and can't heal, or toss a I'M SORRY at them if I die and bump into each other again. If he is just standing there like a goof while the summon is doing all the work (unless it's Tarkus) then you're just an rear end in a top hat who doesn't understand the concept teamwork and being a polite host.

my... internet honor... :negative:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I got summoned to a dark souls 3 boss yesterday and noticed the host hosed off and sat down away from the combat, letting me and 2 other sommons do all the work. I did the honorable thing and lured the boss over to him, killing him in one brutal combo. I'm a good sunbro.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if im summoning or summoned im usually there for the reward. if the summoner wants to just be lazy then im fine with it since it means they wont die and i get my reward.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Iretep posted:

if im summoning or summoned im usually there for the reward. if the summoner wants to just be lazy then im fine with it since it means they wont die and i get my reward.

that's not jolly my friend. Hahhahahahaha.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

One of the Dark Souls community guys got called selfish and told he was ruining the game for others recently for banning someone from the stream of his blind playthrough for constantly posting hints into the chat after repeatedly being told to stop.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Eh, it's frustrating when the host dies, but personally I don't mind so much so long as the summons are helpful and/or hilarious. I was after a bit of help to get through one particularly difficult non-boss encounter in heide and summoned a guy called One Punch Man, who lived up to his name so well that we nuked most of the area and a boss in record time, too. I ended up in his game much later on as an invader and was planning on just giving him an item and leaving, but as I was rifling through my inventory he sucker-punched me to death in a single combo :(

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Crazy Achmed posted:

Eh, it's frustrating when the host dies, but personally I don't mind so much so long as the summons are helpful and/or hilarious. I was after a bit of help to get through one particularly difficult non-boss encounter in heide and summoned a guy called One Punch Man, who lived up to his name so well that we nuked most of the area and a boss in record time, too. I ended up in his game much later on as an invader and was planning on just giving him an item and leaving, but as I was rifling through my inventory he sucker-punched me to death in a single combo :(
Good anime, good gimmick, he better have been bald

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Pwnstar posted:

One of the Dark Souls community guys got called selfish and told he was ruining the game for others recently for banning someone from the stream of his blind playthrough for constantly posting hints into the chat after repeatedly being told to stop.

Best series, worst community.

Though anything is immediately 100% more enjoyable without involving Twitch, or anyone in Twitch chat.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If I ever stream, I'll just ban anyone from writing anything, period.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Somewhere in my head, because of that weird screw elevator, the Darkmoon tomb is located beneath the painting gallery rather than directly beneath the cathedral, but it is beneath the cathedral, and this sort of thing helps reinforce that.

This thing is neat.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

botany posted:

my... internet honor... :negative:

Hahaha.... Yeah I did sound a little weird there, I was just trying get my point across.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Squint posted:

Screaming fruitlessly at a monitor is fine, so far as this goes. As long as you don't take it to YouTube comments like so many folks do.

"YOU'RE NOT PLAYING THE WAY I EXPECT YOU TO OR PERSONALLY APPROVE OF, ERGO YOU ARE THE WORST EVER AT THIS GAME"

Okay, that's a bit hyperbolic (but only just), but YouTube people actually expressed surprise when I didn't cheese a given cheesable boss, and that was irritating. Like they thought I just wasn't aware it was an option and just needed to be told it was!

"Uh, you do know you can just arrow/magic/geometry it to death, right? Heh." :smug:
Funnily, I am like that despite having LP'd Souls games before and had people tell me that I was bad or doing it wrong etc.
I frankly don't think there really is a way to play it wrong. But some things will trigger me anyway. Over and over again. I don't even know why. Maybe because I played each Souls game a lot and there's things I just do or do not do to an extent where it's second nature. Thankfully, I was never the type of guy who wrote comments about it or anything like that. Even when someone is physically in the room with me playing the game I merely scream internally. It still feels bad to know I could be that dick at some point, if things go awry. I will now look at this Human Effigy to remember who I truly am. Just chill little Iggy, yeah...heheh

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I am glad that I've never played a Dark Souls game so I can watch people play them and be bad at them with no self damage to myself.

Of course, I get that when people are just bad at the game they're playing in general instead. How do you get your rear end kicked in a Batman game? It's two buttons and you aim the stick towards someone, that's it.

Whamukars
May 9, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

I am glad that I've never played a Dark Souls game so I can watch people play them and be bad at them with no self damage to myself.

Of course, I get that when people are just bad at the game they're playing in general instead. How do you get your rear end kicked in a Batman game? It's two buttons and you aim the stick towards someone, that's it.

Hey, two buttons are hard to remember :psyduck:

Warren Waters
Feb 27, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

But... I need to get my combo multiplier even higher...
About 90% of the times I got punched in those games, I couldn't counter because I was already punching.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

RareAcumen posted:

How can people suck at a Mario game, it's like one button to jump

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Gosh, I wonder why you're getting your rear end kicked so much. Can't be because you can't remember that guns exist and just wanna run up and hit everything with your wrench!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

It's like playing Minecraft and you flute warp out of the dungeon instead of picking up the heart container. Sad.

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
I don't know which one of you does that awesome Randy Savage impression but I want more.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Sinners Sandwich posted:

a friend of mine has tried several times to play super mario world, a specter from her childhood, but i keep telling her it's easier to move if you hold the run button and she keeps forgetting

we've never gotten past yoshi's island

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
The beginning of DS2 is balls hard compared to 1. You could run down to the graveyard and pick up a decent shield, a spear and the mothafukkin Zweihander 30 seconds after you hit Firelink. It seems like FROM intentionally prevented that kind of thing this time, so it takes a lot longer to find decent gear and to get the stats to use them.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Sinners Sandwich posted:

come on, the other button lets you run faster. It's two buttons you need to master. It's not that easy.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

The only time a gamer should feel shame in not grasping a control scheme is a point and click adventure

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Let's not forget the other four buttons to move.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Catpain Slack posted:

I don't know which one of you does that awesome Randy Savage impression but I want more.

It shows up a bunch in the Shieldfreid run in the Dark Souls 1 thread and is probably my favorite part of the entire LP

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The only time a gamer should feel shame in not grasping a control scheme is a point and click adventure

hosed up controls in point & click adventures happen more often than you'd expect.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Takes No Damage posted:

The beginning of DS2 is balls hard compared to 1. You could run down to the graveyard and pick up a decent shield, a spear and the mothafukkin Zweihander 30 seconds after you hit Firelink. It seems like FROM intentionally prevented that kind of thing this time, so it takes a lot longer to find decent gear and to get the stats to use them.

We'll shortly get access to weapons that can easily carry you for the entire game. Actual good shields are kinda thin on the ground, but there's one in Heide's now, and a couple in FoFG that work nicely for the time being.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Please don't turn "try jumping" into a catchphrase again.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

drat, that's a sick avatar.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

But I just got a sweet ring in DS3 that means I can jump all I want so I'm going to write it everywhere. I can fly now :unsmith:

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 12, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Oh hey, since we saw the video, I suppose it's time to bring up that one thing a lot of people will notice in Dark Souls 2 is that the game has a habit of throwing a poo poo-ton of guys at you. Sometimes having them attack you en-masse, but other times just tossing one after the other at you.

Just in this first section we killed, oh, around ten to fifteen guys? Including a part that was essentially just a large arena with a bunch of them literally lying around?

Just for perspective, in the distance between the Firelink Shrine in DS1 and the first bonfire in Undead Burg, there were about (and I'm going from memory here) 10 enemies total that were on the direct path between you and the bonfire, and they were all pretty generously spaced out, and given variety in the weapons used, their placement, the strategies they used, and the overall visual organization. One part had you fighting two guys up a slope while another chucked firebombs, another had you fighting against one guy only for another to try to flank you from the side, and another had you fighting enemies hiding behind barriers while another plinked at you with a crossbow.

In contrast, so far, we fought against about four or five in the lower area of this region, with one of them shooting arrows but the rest just straight-up hacking and slashing, and then the big arena with a rinse-repeat section of waking up a dude, then beating the poo poo out of him. And we haven't even come across another bonfire. And some of these guys you can avoid, and others you can do the tried-and-true method of running like hell past them, but it's still exhausting, and only really made unintrusive with the addition of summons. Which will also be a recurring problem in the game.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Sinners Sandwich posted:

You've clearly never watched that 30 Years of Mario LP.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

What does the "New kid" button do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Try...parrying?

• Locked thread