Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Here's a thing I haven't had to think of for awhile.

How do I restore stats? In the back of my head, Restore Abilities potions are always a thing I have a lot of at this stage in the game, until I realized they aren't there any more.

So uh...how do I fix this?
Gain experience.
This shouldn't be hard, considering you are in a zig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

So I rolled a DrCj after blowing up my DEFE in Shoals, and now I'm back in Shoals and I look like this.

I got the sick poison cloud > ignite poison combo down so now I'm just planning to pump fire magic?

Might use Sif to forget the level 1 2 and 3 conj spells and replace them with the relevant spells in the starting fire book too, is that worth bothering with?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
This is still one of my favorite goofy things in Crawl.

code:
 The sticky flame hits the sheep.
 The sheep is moderately wounded.
 The sheep is covered in liquid flames! The sheep burns! x2
 A sheep catches fire!
 The sheep bleats in terror.
 The sheep burns! x2; A sheep catches fire!

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Found a book of conjurations on a lvl 7 DEIE, anything worth learning/working toward? These spells didn't even exist back when I got my wins.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Battlesphere; a +3 apt in charms (which you want point in later on anways) makes it a trivial spell to pick up, and has synergy with magic missle for absurd mana efficiancy for single targets.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

World Famous W posted:

This is still one of my favorite goofy things in Crawl.

code:
 The sticky flame hits the sheep.
 The sheep is moderately wounded.
 The sheep is covered in liquid flames! The sheep burns! x2
 A sheep catches fire!
 The sheep burns! x2; A sheep catches fire!

You monster

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Maha posted:

Found a book of conjurations on a lvl 7 DEIE, anything worth learning/working toward? These spells didn't even exist back when I got my wins.
I like Dazzling Spray as an early decent damage AoE. The dazzle effect is also bypasses MR and is only effected by HD so it can work pretty good as a general debuff.

Stoat posted:

You monster
The rest of the Lair just got revenge.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 07:01 on May 11, 2016

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

How do I restore stats? In the back of my head, Restore Abilities potions are always a thing I have a lot of at this stage in the game, until I realized they aren't there any more.

Oddly relevant to our previous conversation: You can't read TP when you are brainless, but you can zap a wand!

You can only cure stat damage by gaining xp, as far as I know. Maybe Zin or Ely does something about it too idk.

SInce your base stats don't go below 0 (I think!) you're safe if you can wear a ring of +1 int. At least that was my experience on a VS who got degeneration from quaff-IDing mutation and spend half the game at 1-3 int and the other half at 0 int before eventually splatting.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
You can definitely go below 0, maybe not from Deterioration though.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Akett posted:

So I've been complaining about a problem for months and nobody's paid any attention to me, so I'm going to use a visual aid to help explain what I'm talking about so hopefully it can get fixed.

So in the past when I would use X > to autotravel to a lower staircase it would choose the closest staircase by how many steps it takes to walk to it. In the case of the image I posted, it would choose the stairs to my right, being the closest stairs on foot. Lately it's been choosing the closest stairs regardless of whether or not there are walls in the way. In the example it would be the stairs southwest of me.

Now this isn't all that big of a deal to me as I just need to hit the > again to select the better stairs, and I'm not losing much satiation if I forget to do that, and it's honestly not that common for a level to be laid out in a way that makes this come up, but if I were a speedrunner I'd be annoyed if I were to lose points because a system stopped paying attention to walls. I mostly just want it fixed because it worked better in the past and it'd be a shame for it to get worse and remain that way.

That's this bug. It's known, and was apparently caused by this specific commit; the dev who made that commit is trying to look for a way to fix it without just reverting the commit.

Maha
Dec 29, 2006
sapere aude
Thanks, guys. I love my battlesphere already <3

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

PleasingFungus posted:

That's this bug. It's known, and was apparently caused by this specific commit; the dev who made that commit is trying to look for a way to fix it without just reverting the commit.

Ah, cool, it's good to know it's being looked into. Thanks!

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Two potential post-game characters lost in shoals now.
I loving HATE SHOALS.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I just lost yet another character who has cleared both runed Lair branches. I just can't seem to finish out a game so far.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Oddly relevant to our previous conversation: You can't read TP when you are brainless, but you can zap a wand!

If you weren't in a Zig, you could swap to Ely and Restore, then swap back to TSO (or make a pit stop with Zin to donate so you can swap back to TSO at a higher piety level).

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Wands of teleport are useful. One slot for more teleport isn't a huge deal, and it's a pretty easy drop if your inventory gets really crowded. I wouldn't want them on autopickup and I'd almost never waste a recharge scroll on them, but they have decent utility.

Silent Spectres only appear in abyss (super rare) and Tartarus.

Are you sure about this? It may have been changed recently but I distinctly recall encountering silent spectres in the crypt and commonly in tartarus, or at least common enough that I was constantly preparing for it. That said, they are easy but it's when you're trying to take care of them and nastier mooks decide to join the party that they become really scary.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

According to PF they are now completely absent from crypt. They have a tiny chance to appear in the abyss and there are a couple vaults that have them (Wizard Prison and maybe an abyss rune vault?) but otherwise they only spawn in Tartarus, where they are semi-common.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Wizard Prison is fun to bust in on the dudes and push in their poo poo while they're completely incapacitated. Just don't go too far or you'll find a less than happy guard ready to push in yours!

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I like this entryway to the Hall of Blades. Very ominous!

Also:

:eyepop:

Thalamas
Dec 5, 2003

Sup?
Haven't seen this before. That's pretty cool.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Brag: Up to a 5-streak, and managed to sneak 2 nemelex choice runs in there. Rank 5 overall right now!

Beat: My god the pressure

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
I have been idly murdering casters for a while an finally have a GrEE who has the two easy runes and I have no possible justification for failing to ascend, as i've access to two copies of the Book of Annihilations, shatter on offer from vehumet, simulacrum and Lehudib's/Orb of Destruction both easily castable + staves of energy and wizardry. Problem is I even with two +MP rings my MP pool is tiny (and one of them is a randart with -Tele so it basically gives me blurry vision, but it's +7 int and +9 MP) and hilariously expensive spells and my only defensive spell is Blink. There have been about fifteen million books of various sorts dropped, what sort of spells should I look to go back and pick up to avoid getting murdered from here on in?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

UberJew posted:

I have been idly murdering casters for a while an finally have a GrEE who has the two easy runes and I have no possible justification for failing to ascend, as i've access to two copies of the Book of Annihilations, shatter on offer from vehumet, simulacrum and Lehudib's/Orb of Destruction both easily castable + staves of energy and wizardry. Problem is I even with two +MP rings my MP pool is tiny (and one of them is a randart with -Tele so it basically gives me blurry vision, but it's +7 int and +9 MP) and hilariously expensive spells and my only defensive spell is Blink. There have been about fifteen million books of various sorts dropped, what sort of spells should I look to go back and pick up to avoid getting murdered from here on in?

Do you have access to a staff of power? Using that till you need to swap to energy can help a lot.

Also it seems impossible for your mp pool to be THAT small with all those items. Try using Spellforged Servitor to clear chaff (with haste if possible) and save your own spells for when it matters. Most small groups of dudes can be killed with a single servitor and he sticks around for future adds as well.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I Love You! posted:

Do you have access to a staff of power? Using that till you need to swap to energy can help a lot.

Also it seems impossible for your mp pool to be THAT small with all those items. Try using Spellforged Servitor to clear chaff (with haste if possible) and save your own spells for when it matters. Most small groups of dudes can be killed with a single servitor and he sticks around for future adds as well.

No staff of power, just a lot of elemental staves (but not earth!) and energy/wizardry.

I mean, it's 56 which is actually fine it just feels bad because earth magic is very, very inefficient (your magma bolt/iron shot misses the rear end in a top hat snake). Though yeah, my Servitor is embarassingly amazing since I went and retrieved amnesia scrolls for my early game Conjurations, but that made the inefficiency problem worse if anything. I suspect there are cheap, effective spells I have access to that aren't blowing things up that I just don't know about because I've never gotten a caster out of the very early 'run out of mp against an adder/get smited by an orc priest' phase.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

UberJew posted:

No staff of power, just a lot of elemental staves (but not earth!) and energy/wizardry.

I mean, it's 56 which is actually fine it just feels bad because earth magic is very, very inefficient (your magma bolt/iron shot misses the rear end in a top hat snake). Though yeah, my Servitor is embarassingly amazing since I went and retrieved amnesia scrolls for my early game Conjurations, but that made the inefficiency problem worse if anything. I suspect there are cheap, effective spells I have access to that aren't blowing things up that I just don't know about because I've never gotten a caster out of the very early 'run out of mp against an adder/get smited by an orc priest' phase.

Just wield the staff of energy all the time and use shatter on almost everything. 1 shatter is more efficient than 2 iron shots and you can spend the extra turn channeling if need be, and you wont accrue hunger costs while just wielding it and casting spells. If you really need to up the efficiency be sure to wait until there are 2 or more things on the screen before casting it.

Also LRD is your efficient go-to earth spell if you need something cheap but excellent for killing lil babies.

Wait if your servitor is amazing why are you having efficiency issues? Just cast him and run in circles or punch poo poo with a staff of earth/weaponswap, you should be absolutely great if you have all that online.

One thing to consider in the mid-lategame as a caster is mana efficiency vs. turncount efficiency. Yeah stone arrow might kill that big snake in 3 shots when it takes 2 iron shots but is spending 3 turns really worth it? In fact is spending 2 turns iron shotting really worth it (especially since they can miss) when you can just kite that snake into a room with 2 other snakes, hit shatter, and then channel energy for the next 2-3 turns? The answer is usually no; your high lvl AOEs are almost always more efficient (for both mana and especially turncount) than your single target nukes, especially once you get your evocations up to 15 or so and a staff of energy is absolute money.

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 11, 2016

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

this is an awesome vault (heh) and whoever made it is cool and good

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

I Love You! posted:

Just wield the staff of energy all the time and use shatter on almost everything. 1 shatter is more efficient than 2 iron shots and you can spend the extra turn channeling if need be, and you wont accrue hunger costs while just wielding it and casting spells. If you really need to up the efficiency be sure to wait until there are 2 or more things on the screen before casting it.

Also LRD is your efficient go-to earth spell if you need something cheap but excellent for killing lil babies.

Wait if your servitor is amazing why are you having efficiency issues? Just cast him and run in circles or punch poo poo with a staff of earth/weaponswap, you should be absolutely great if you have all that online.

One thing to consider in the mid-lategame as a caster is mana efficiency vs. turncount efficiency. Yeah stone arrow might kill that big snake in 3 shots when it takes 2 iron shots but is spending 3 turns really worth it? In fact is spending 2 turns iron shotting really worth it (especially since they can miss) when you can just kite that snake into a room with 2 other snakes, hit shatter, and then channel energy for the next 2-3 turns? The answer is usually no; your high lvl AOEs are almost always more efficient (for both mana and especially turncount) than your single target nukes, especially once you get your evocations up to 15 or so and a staff of energy is absolute money.

I don't actually have Shatter castable yet, or a Staff of Earth. But yeah I'll dance around with my Servitor more (who should be even better than ever b/c I used amnesia to get rid of Stone Arrow; Iron Shot is the weakest spell it can cast now apart from when it decides to cast Orb of Destruction at point blank)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

I've had this vault show up every single time this tournament where I have generated the Vaults entrance and I would like to see something else again.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Every time I dip my head into the game design tavern subforum I am always pleasantly surprised to see the bonkers weird feature requests that are inevitably there. It's like visiting an old friend.

I am always reading spellbooks when workshipping Trog.

Thalamas posted:

Haven't seen this before. That's pretty cool.

These are, IMO, easily the best kind of trove to get because the cost is so temporary. The only time I will not take them is with Chei.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

bitcoin bastard posted:

it is a classic but it was better when you had to take the second set of stairs up if you wanted to know what down-stairs they corresponded to

casual devs ruining challenge imo

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

IronicDongz posted:

Every time I dip my head into the game design tavern subforum I am always pleasantly surprised to see the bonkers weird feature requests that are inevitably there. It's like visiting an old friend.

I am always reading spellbooks when workshipping Trog.
These are, IMO, easily the best kind of trove to get because the cost is so temporary. The only time I will not take them is with Chei.

I won't take them with Ru either.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I forget about Ru a lot tbh

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don't Ru Forget About Me

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What's the percent chance of donald being in that? He's so angry and yet he has so many friends.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't

Akett posted:

So I've been complaining about a problem for months and nobody's paid any attention to me
I have observed this regression as well. As you say, it is not extremely important but inconvenient nonetheless. Did you file a bug report on Mantis about this? If not, please do so, with the words and the picture of your posting. Thank you!Preemptive posting -- I suspect I caught a case of digital incontinence. Don't forget to read before you write, kids!

dpeg fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 12, 2016

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
dpeg has an SA account? Well then, let me gush a bit! PleasingFungus, dpeg, other devs who browse the forums I don't know: Crawl is fantastic. You guys put in so many thankless hours for such a wonderful game and even though it's probably not difficult to find me complaining about stuff, that stuff is so, so minor compared to the strengths the game has. Thank you for doing the work you do -- Crawl will forever hold a special place in my heart. Cheers :cheers:

Pinechild
Sep 14, 2011
Holy poo poo, Spider really loving wanted to kill me:
Spider 1: Agnes
Spider 2: Nicola
Spider 3: Arachne, Norris, Mara (who appeared out of nowhere while I was fighting Arachne, cue exit pursued by a spider lady)
Spider 4: Wiglaf

Sage Grimm posted:

I'd wield-id that longbow once you do break your current one, so you can get a better comparison between that and the triple crossbow (since you decided to skill that one as well!). As for the best time to do so, uh, I guess when you have to break out your guns and go berserk.

Makes for a nice mental image too. Stone cold gaze while you shatter your bow on the ground, clench your fists and explode in anger at your oncoming foe.
This is pretty much what happened, actually. Pulled Arachne upstairs since that was the best of a bunch of terrible options, dropped the bow, and went apeshit on her. Turns out the other longbow is super sweet!

+8 longbow "Fumpekaq" {venom, rF+++ rN+ MR+ Str-3}

Should I keep this guy around, or continue working towards my backup +2 Triple Crossbow of Velocity?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Does the naga speed penalty go away with certain transmutations? I can't find anything on the learndb.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I just wizmode it and it seems that Naga 'Cover Ground Slowly' is overridden by form changing transmutations. Only tested with Hydra and Dragon, but there ya' go.

Edit: Statue form overrides it as well, so you going from moving 1.4 to only 1.5. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->

dpeg has an SA account? Well then, let me gush a bit! PleasingFungus, dpeg, other devs who browse the forums I don't know: Crawl is fantastic. You guys put in so many thankless hours for such a wonderful game and even though it's probably not difficult to find me complaining about stuff, that stuff is so, so minor compared to the strengths the game has. Thank you for doing the work you do -- Crawl will forever hold a special place in my heart. Cheers :cheers:

To add to this, what does Crawl need more people to work on, if anything? I'm not the best player, but I love this game and have some coding/graphics abilities and spare time.

• Locked thread