Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Well, it is unfinished. It is worth noting that Technopop made both games completely free though, so you can try them out either in Kega or your actual flash cart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I kinda wonder how unprofitable it'd be to move away from DVD to read-only USB flash memory or SD cards or something. I dunno, I just know IndieBox does something like that, and while on the one hand it's weird to consider they're not using CDs, on the other hand it kinda makes sense.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Dominic White posted:

A bit bullet-heavy for my tastes (I prefer more esoteric guns), but Pillowblaster knows how to make some satisfying guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hZnS45rEdE
Well, color me excited. It looks to me like the fun of Russian Overkill with slightly less suicide potential.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Dominic White posted:

A bit bullet-heavy for my tastes (I prefer more esoteric guns), but Pillowblaster knows how to make some satisfying guns.

:agreed: I also love that your melee is you straight uppercutting whatever's in front of you with your off hand.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Ha, while checking on when the new Trailblazer version would be out (this weekend, apparently), I noticed that there's a new version of ProDoomer due out soon. I have a soft spot for that mod. It's an amazing labor of love, and also barely coherent in often kinda cool ways.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Shadow Hog posted:

I kinda wonder how unprofitable it'd be to move away from DVD to read-only USB flash memory or SD cards or something. I dunno, I just know IndieBox does something like that, and while on the one hand it's weird to consider they're not using CDs, on the other hand it kinda makes sense.

Once you move from DVD's to flash memory you start to double the price, and for the sizes of games today they'd be shipping you 50+GB external hard drives instead of a couple of CD's.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Can anyone recommend WADs for just chill casual play? I'm thinking maps that are short and sweet and aren't too enemy dense. Something like the stock Doom 1/2 campaigns in terms of map complexity. I've already played Doom The Way id Did (and D2TWID) and Scythe. What else is there?

Have you tried Perdition's Gate?

It's the "lost" Final DOOM game that Tom Mustaine saved from the depths and slapped the WAD up on his blog. Check it out if you haven't.

blackmarketlimb fucked around with this message at 07:27 on May 11, 2016

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Once you move from DVD's to flash memory you start to double the price, and for the sizes of games today they'd be shipping you 50+GB external hard drives instead of a couple of CD's.

Your old pal Guangzhou Charlie would be glad to hook you up with thousands of 64 gb thumb drives for around a buck a unit. 2 bucks a unit and you might even get QA. But that's likely higher than a 64 gb pile of dvds.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

dis astranagant posted:

Your old pal Guangzhou Charlie would be glad to hook you up with thousands of 64 gb thumb drives for around a buck a unit. 2 bucks a unit and you might even get QA. But that's likely higher than a 64 gb pile of dvds.

IIRC bulk DVD replication cost works out to something like $.20 to .40 USD for a bulk order of 10,000 and blu-ray was around .85. DVD cases work out to $.20 to .40 per unit for the same amount. So let's call it around $3-4 per game box, including the paper packaging, scratch off CD key card, any booklets, etc.

Last I heard the shipping cost from Shanghai/Quingdao to North America for a standard 20 foot ISO container was down past $600 again ("less than double" if you get a 40 foot container IIRC), with around $1,300 per container in import fees to the US. Further costs will include pallets (around 11/container), shipping boxes, plastic wrap, etc. Then there's transport from the port to whatever warehousing you've got, or directly to distributor (Amazon/Gamestop/etc) warehousing, it would likely be cheaper to contract a logistics company to deal with this stuff.

:spergin:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dis astranagant posted:

3 bucks if you want them to have an actual capacity of 64GB, instead of 2GB faked to look like 64GB.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

3 bucks if you want them to have an actual capacity of 64GB, instead of 2GB faked to look like 64GB.

May I ask where can I see that? I want a few as win10 and Ubuntu installer drives and don't mind if they are kind of trash or slow. Still better than burn a DVD and carry an external drive because the laptop I'm installing doesn't have a dvd drive.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

KozmoNaut posted:

It's not even that hard to pull off this scam; go to AliExpress and search for USB Flash Drive and you'll find listings that are like "64 GB Real Capacity 16 GB"

The device will report as having a particular value and the OS will trust this which causes fun poo poo like address wraparrounds that can corrupt data.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Monster infighting confirmed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLToGa1bNFc&t=355s

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Dominic White posted:

:eyepop: That looks real sweet

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Imo Trailbazer and Guncaster are way more refined for actual gameplay than RO.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Guncaster still has the best revolver of any game I've played.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

That minigun/50.cal combo.

This is the real reason we ended the cold war.

Haha I was not ready for it. That was some freakin terminator poo poo

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

(the author has a history of garbage arguments)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Also classic Doom didn't provide any tools, let alone free ones. Well, aside from DoomBSP, but that was just a node builder and nobody actually needed it with how quickly the specs were reverse engineered.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
Hmm yes I can see how checking all these boxes make the games feel and play exactly the same! :rolleyes:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Hey, Doom 4's design doc was a bunch of features to include in checklist.

Also, "devs are lazy"? Who and where used this argument?

And I just marvel at how many games with bad sequels/reboots can be compared in such boneheaded way. Oh well. It's the good will brand loyalty that counts.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Elliotw2 posted:

Well, it is unfinished. It is worth noting that Technopop made both games completely free though, so you can try them out either in Kega or your actual flash cart.

I didn't know about this site, nor that the ROM images were totally legit free, that's great! Now I've gone from feeling slightly bad to not-bad-at-all for playing it through the Mega Drive/Genesis collection. Thanks for the link.

And yes, the colour pallette for BZT is horrendous, but then again, I didn't make it past the first level. Does it get at all better?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

And yes, the colour pallette for BZT is horrendous, but then again, I didn't make it past the first level. Does it get at all better?
The game is very, very unfinished, so I'd assume no.

A while back, I thought about using this as a reference to remake at least a level or two of ZT in ZDoom, either as its own project or as a secret map in an unrelated project. Now that portals are in the engine and I can do the "car park ramp" style transitions between floors more gracefully, maybe I'll get on that...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

The Kins posted:

The game is very, very unfinished, so I'd assume no.

A while back, I thought about using this as a reference to remake at least a level or two of ZT in ZDoom, either as its own project or as a secret map in an unrelated project. Now that portals are in the engine and I can do the "car park ramp" style transitions between floors more gracefully, maybe I'll get on that...

You're a goddamned tease!

But yes, please do this :ohdear:

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

(the author has a history of garbage arguments)

Lmao. Thats worse than 9/11. A different game made in a completely different game engine with completely different design goals and balancing is somehow the same according to these superficial qualifiers.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
Chex quest is closer to doom than do4m. Im not saying do4m will be bad or whatever but christ what an rear end in a top hat. Please someone bait him into comparing chex quest and do4m

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Chex quest is closer to doom than do4m. Im not saying do4m will be bad or whatever but christ what an rear end in a top hat. Please someone bait him into comparing chex quest and do4m

do4m? Oh you mean Retard 4.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Chex quest is closer to doom than do4m.

DOOM looks like it'll capture a lot more of what I like about Doom than Chex Quest does. Call me crazy. And it's not here to replace or replicate classic Doom, it's a new Doom game. I don't remember the internet being this dramatic when Doom 3 was coming out, and this one looks like it'll please a lot of the fans much more.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Heavy Metal posted:

DOOM looks like it'll capture a lot more of what I like about Doom than Chex Quest does. Call me crazy. And it's not here to replace or replicate classic Doom, it's a new Doom game. I don't remember the internet being this dramatic when Doom 3 was coming out, and this one looks like it'll please a lot of the fans much more.

guess you forgot that doom 3 was a long running joke then

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Heavy Metal posted:

I do. The thing was it never ended, it just hit a crescendo after the game was released with wailing about flashlights and then slowly dimmed off, complete with spikes at the releases of RoE and the BFG edition.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

They didn't give out any review copies of Do4m so that's a pretty good indication of garbage.

I'm bummed.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beastie posted:

They didn't give out any review copies of Do4m so that's a pretty good indication of garbage.

I'm bummed.

Would you think that if somebody else hadn't suggested the idea? And who cares about reviews anyway. From watching the videos I can tell that I personally would find Uncharted 4 to be really bad. And I tried the first 3, didn't like any of them. It has a 94 on metacritic. There's no shortcut to knowing if you'll like a game, it's all personal taste.

It's just silly to me when somebody posts comments on the review on some site saying "bummer. game looked good to me. Oh well." Just because some guy didn't like it? Maybe they would still like it if they played it, since they're not the same person. Science. Professional reviewers, metacritic, rottentomatoes, I have no use for this common consensus silliness.

(and that said, DOOM will still probably get decent reviews. I'll post my findings in the DOOM thread!)

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 11, 2016

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Would you think that if somebody else hadn't suggested the idea? And who cares about reviews anyway. From watching the videos I can tell that I personally would find Uncharted 4 to be really bad. And I tried the first 3, didn't like any of them. It has a 94 on metacritic. There's no shortcut to knowing if you'll like a game, it's all personal taste.

It's just silly to me when somebody posts comments on the review on some site saying "bummer. game looked good to me. Oh well." Just because some guy didn't like it? Maybe they would still like it if they played it, since they're not the same person. Science. Professional reviewers, metacritic, rottentomatoes, I have no use for this common consensus silliness.

(and that said, DOOM will still probably get decent reviews. I'll post my findings in the DOOM thread!)

People are really passionate about their demon shooter in space, c'mon now.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Chex Quest is good. And apparently there's a UE4 remake of it in progress, lead by one of the original devs.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
No you see 12 heroes nurturing their passion project during the golden days of gaming is exactly the same as a dystopian gray corporation known for their bland garbage whipping their drones to churn out a game based on maximizing revenues and then fleecing the customers with contentless depressing dlc, because both heroes look like master chief!!!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

No you see 12 heroes nurturing their passion project during the golden days of gaming is exactly the same as a dystopian gray corporation known for their bland garbage whipping their drones to churn out a game based on maximizing revenues and then fleecing the customers with contentless depressing dlc, because both heroes look like master chief!!!

id has been making this new Doom for a really long time, so nobody is whipping anybody to churn out anything. They even got to completely scrap the "Call of Doom" build of the game as we know. Your narrative here on small teams vs big teams and whatnot is nice and everything, but great games have been made under both scenarios. We could always just post our impressions of the game in a couple days, that's what I'll do. (and I liked the beta)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Is current id the UAC and the id where Carmack killed a cat Hell breaking loose?

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Heavy Metal posted:

I'm in a weird spot because I'm planning on buying it with the first paycheck I get from my new job and I've been hyping myself up for two weeks now. I was thinking about what you said and as long as it's not broken I'll still get it.

I mean, it's Doom, I'm not expecting anything more than a fun, gruesome, atmospheric (or not, Mars) shooter. The idea of the level editor helps me a bit.

Is there a Doom thread? I didn't see one earlier.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 15:18 on May 11, 2016

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Beastie posted:

I'm in a weird spot because I'm planning on buying it with the first paycheck I get from my new job and I've been hyping myself up for two weeks now. I was think about what you said and as long as it's not broken I'll still get it.

I mean, it's Doom, I'm not expecting anything more than a fun, gruesome, atmospheric (or not, Mars) shooter. The idea of the level editor helps me a bit.

Is there a Doom thread? I didn't see one earlier.

Yep, but the thread is called DO4M at the moment. (I do hope they change it to a ctrl+F'able "DOOM" at some point)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Take your meds.