Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
The DO4M thread is full on Imp Zone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Arivia posted:

Is current id the UAC and the id where Carmack killed a cat Hell breaking loose?

Id died when john romero left and romero is the last true american hero left on the planet, his legacy will stand beside the greats like ernest hemingway.

Carmack was a hero too but he fell to the dark side.

Romero is basically doom guy.

Blackfyre
Jul 8, 2012

I want wings.

Arivia posted:

Is current id the UAC and the id where Carmack killed a cat Hell breaking loose?

RIP Mitzi

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Beastie posted:

I'm in a weird spot because I'm planning on buying it with the first paycheck I get from my new job and I've been hyping myself up for two weeks now. I was thinking about what you said and as long as it's not broken I'll still get it.

I mean, it's Doom, I'm not expecting anything more than a fun, gruesome, atmospheric (or not, Mars) shooter. The idea of the level editor helps me a bit.

Is there a Doom thread? I didn't see one earlier.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763691 Doom thread

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Beastie posted:

I'm in a weird spot because I'm planning on buying it with the first paycheck I get from my new job and I've been hyping myself up for two weeks now. I was thinking about what you said and as long as it's not broken I'll still get it.

I mean, it's Doom, I'm not expecting anything more than a fun, gruesome, atmospheric (or not, Mars) shooter. The idea of the level editor helps me a bit.

Is there a Doom thread? I didn't see one earlier.

nexus6 posted:

Be prepared before you step in there, though.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Beastie posted:

They didn't give out any review copies of Do4m so that's a pretty good indication of garbage.

I'm bummed.
They did the same thing with Wolfenstein The New Order, and Fallout 4's embargo expired just 24 hours before launch. You can probably attribute this to Bethesda's PR and marketing teams being inexplicably bad at the parts of their jobs that don't involve covering every second bus stop with posters for their games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The Kins posted:

They did the same thing with Wolfenstein The New Order, and Fallout 4's embargo expired just 24 hours before launch. You can probably attribute this to Bethesda's PR and marketing teams being inexplicably bad at the parts of their jobs that don't involve covering every second bus stop with posters for their games.

Yep. In fact, Wolfenstein had a similar problem in that they didn't show any gameplay footage until the 11th hour, then the devs just did a rough warts n' all gameplay stream, about two hours of it, and it looked loving great. Bethesda seem to put vastly more stock in manufactured marketing over actually showing the product, even when it's good enough to just sell itself.

To be fair, there are actually good tech reasons why reviews should wait til post-launch here. Two thirds of the game (it's basically three games on one disc by three different studios, sharing art assets) are online-centric, and even the singleplayer has some asynchronous online elements, apparently.

But still, it's a daft situation. That new gameplay video above only exists because a Youtuber just visited the offices and they let him walk out with some raw footage.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Dominic White posted:

even the singleplayer has some asynchronous online elements, apparently.

I have no idea what this entails but in my fantasies I can hope for Dark Souls invasions or leaving notes/deathcams or whatever

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dominic White posted:

Yep. In fact, Wolfenstein had a similar problem in that they didn't show any gameplay footage until the 11th hour, then the devs just did a rough warts n' all gameplay stream, about two hours of it, and it looked loving great. Bethesda seem to put vastly more stock in manufactured marketing over actually showing the product, even when it's good enough to just sell itself.

To be fair, there are actually good tech reasons why reviews should wait til post-launch here. Two thirds of the game (it's basically three games on one disc by three different studios, sharing art assets) are online-centric, and even the singleplayer has some asynchronous online elements, apparently.

But still, it's a daft situation. That new gameplay video above only exists because a Youtuber just visited the offices and they let him walk out with some raw footage.

Eh... the multiplayer doesn't need to be reviewed early because we already got to play a beta demo of it. That's a bad reason to hold back reviews.

As for SnapMap, we already know its fantastic, and calling it a third of the game is disingenuous.

The question everybody wants to know is, "is the singleplayer poo poo or not?" which is exactly what early review copies could provide. Their not doing that casts doubt and makes it seem like they're trying to sell the game on pre-order bonuses before people find out what its really like.

The game looked really slow for the longest time, and to this day the only footage we've ever seen of it played properly on a PC comes from an off-screen cam recording at an NVIDIA event where some nvidia guys actually play with mouse and keyboard and always-run, and the game actually looked pretty fun.

For some reason Bethesda have exclusively marketed the game with CG and short jump-cut trailers of console play, which makes it feel like they have absolutely no confidence in Doom, but I think really their marketing department is just completely out of touch and moronic.

Copper Vein
Mar 14, 2007

...and we liked it that way.

Dominic White posted:

That new gameplay video above only exists because a Youtuber just visited the offices and they let him walk out with some raw footage.

So...just like the original Doom then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q65xJfVkiaI

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Glagha posted:

I have no idea what this entails but in my fantasies I can hope for Dark Souls invasions or leaving notes/deathcams or whatever

Not sure how deep it goes, but they did mention that you'll see helmets left behind where people on your friends list died during the campaign, and maybe they can be collected for some kind of bonus? It's probably not going to be too much, but at least they're making some effort.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

nexus6 posted:

Isn't that the whole point of Doom anyway?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

It ain't the imp zone its the D! Zone

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Zaphod42 posted:

"Come in and get the D!"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

what's the deal with the "Doom OR Doom II' in D!Zone. like could you play the Doom 2 wads with just the registered Doom 1? idgi

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

my bony fealty posted:

what's the deal with the "Doom OR Doom II' in D!Zone. like could you play the Doom 2 wads with just the registered Doom 1? idgi

I think it's poorly worded, and actually refers to the fact that even if you have one of the two games, you'll still get SOMETHING SOME 'D' out of the package.

Ball Cupper
Sep 10, 2011

~beautiful in my own way~
Oh man, I've still got a D!Zone CD at my parents' house. Can't wait to get it and fire that sucker up

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

These two things are one-and-the-same

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think it's poorly worded, and actually refers to the fact that even if you have one of the two games, you'll still get SOMETHING SOME 'D' out of the package.

dang, that's unacceptable, I demand nothing but pristine clarity from my trash wad dump disks.

on an unrelated note, this is the best 1024 wad I've played, may have been posted before but everyone should check it out!

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85755-rf1024/

played through it with its default guns (pretty difficult) and then again with Trailblazer (hilariously easy, whole thing took about 30 minutes).

don't miss map 32.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Zaphod42 posted:

Love how the screenshots are all of firing into walls of stock maps...

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

my bony fealty posted:

dang, that's unacceptable, I demand nothing but pristine clarity from my trash wad dump disks.

on an unrelated note, this is the best 1024 wad I've played, may have been posted before but everyone should check it out!

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85755-rf1024/

played through it with its default guns (pretty difficult) and then again with Trailblazer (hilariously easy, whole thing took about 30 minutes).

don't miss map 32.

rt1024 is really good and the only 1024 wad I haven't hated. I'm also really enjoying Ancient Aliens. The difficulty so far has been pretty on par with Valiant on UV. Pretty challenging. It's been fun to replay each map on ITYTD. I can't wait to replay it with Demonsteele or some other wacky mod.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Oh snap, that is some offensively bad level design. :stare:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh snap, that is some offensively bad level design. :stare:

And also the only time youtube annotations have ever been good

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Convex posted:

There seems to be a bunch of different accounts with D!Zone video playthroughs and similar annotations. It's kind of weird, but they're hilarious so I'm watching them all anyway.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MUCH better direct-feed version of that Nvidia Doom 4 footage. Switch up if you can for full 1080p/60fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY

Now it doesn't look like the player is vibrating like they're sitting on a washing machine. It also looks really fast compared to just about any modern FPS and the melee finishers seem to flow more naturally when they're not being actively showcased.

Edit: I just realized that a large part of why the movement speed feels so much higher is because they've cranked up the FPS a shitton. When the player opens a door, the view zooms waaaaay in.

Edit 2: Yep, FOV 120. I usually play FPS's at 85-90.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 12, 2016

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Ball Cupper posted:

Oh man, I've still got a D!Zone CD at my parents' house. Can't wait to get it and fire that sucker up

Why wait? LOL NEVER MIND, it doesn't mount the disk correctly but DOES contain someone's copies of Doom and Doom 2

And if you just can't get enough doom shovelware disks, https://archive.org/details/doom-cds

I gotta say though... the front end they were running is actually pretty nice.

Keiya fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 12, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Convex posted:

I'm disappointed that Imp Zone's description isn't still "wellcume 2 imp zone"

Note to self: actually check what you're saying is still true before saying it

(I mean, there's a superfluous "the", but otherwise)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

MUCH better direct-feed version of that Nvidia Doom 4 footage. Switch up if you can for full 1080p/60fps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anrvBD4aTGY

Now it doesn't look like the player is vibrating like they're sitting on a washing machine. It also looks really fast compared to just about any modern FPS and the melee finishers seem to flow more naturally when they're not being actively showcased.

Edit: I just realized that a large part of why the movement speed feels so much higher is because they've cranked up the FPS a shitton. When the player opens a door, the view zooms waaaaay in.

Edit 2: Yep, FOV 120. I usually play FPS's at 85-90.

This looks slick as hell and retains the Doomiest thing; Doomguy still runs at something like 30 mph, so that's good.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I know this isn't the official DO4M thread, but the actual official one scares me.

Anyway, doesn't it unlock tonight in NZ and you can unlock it early with a VPN?

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 12, 2016

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Go down a hallway shooting monsters directly in front of you and then get locked into a room where you have to kill everything. At least the rooms seem to use some height variation.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

I know this isn't the official DO4M thread, but the actual official one scares me.

That thread is a horrorshow. There might be some real genre sticklers around here, but at least folks seem to be hoping for things to turn out good.

Don't think it's unlocking for anyone until the 13th, US time. I'm currently between jobs so can't justify buying it right now (I figure I've waited 12 years, an extra couple weeks won't kill me), but I am trying to rent the PS4 version at/near launch at least. It looks pretty solid graphics/performance-wise.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

How long before someone just redoes the entire game in Doom 2 / GZDoom?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How long before someone just redoes the entire game in Doom 2 / GZDoom?

I'd give it a month at most. There's already a weapons mod, and the editor on PC will let players snap sprite sheets of the new monsters easily. I notice there's basic coloured primitive blocks, so you can easily put a monster against a solid white backdrop and light it neutrally.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 12, 2016

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Doom 4 looks dope. All of you whining about it are a bunch of nerd grognards :colbert:

It seems to play a lot like Quake, really, which I guess is not surprising considering Quake is basically "Doom but you can jump and swim"

Edit: is that Admiral Hackett I hear on the com? :swoon:

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 12, 2016

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Maybe I'm just getting old, but how do you even see all the monsters in that HDR scenery? There's no good silhouettes. Maybe it's easier to follow when you're actually playing.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I'm contemplating pre-ordering it, honestly. Steam offers The Old Blood for free (though I didn't see an option to buy it when I went to its store page last night - seems it's there now, at least), while GamersGate (no relation to the group - also, I don't recall ever signing up for this service, yet they keep sending me e-mails...) is offering Doom 3 BFG Edition (ie: No Rest for the Living). I'm not sure which is the better option.

I've played NRFTL before (ripped it out of the XBLA version of Doom 2 I bought, manually, which was... interesting), though having it accessible through GZDoom's IWAD selector would be nice.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 12, 2016

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Shadow Hog posted:

I've played NRFTL before (ripped it out of the XBLA version of Doom 2 I bought, manually, which was... interesting), though having it accessible through GZDoom's IWAD selector would be nice.
NRFTL isn't an IWAD. I have it (and a PWAD putting all the Master Levels together with a nice MAPINFO) in the Doom2.Autoload section of my ZDoom INIs, giving me a nice episode select in Doom 2.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Maybe I'm just getting old, but how do you even see all the monsters in that HDR scenery? There's no good silhouettes. Maybe it's easier to follow when you're actually playing.

Yeah it should be easier when you're actually playing, and there's some good color variety which should make things pop more in some areas, but that overall is a problem with games increasing in visual fidelity. Doom 4 looks amazing, but it can be pretty hard to parse the images in a hurry. I don't think it'll be too bad though.

Shadow Hog posted:

I'm contemplating pre-ordering it, honestly. Steam offers The Old Blood for free (though I didn't see an option to buy it when I went to its store page last night - seems it's there now, at least), while GamersGate (no relation to the group - also, I don't recall ever signing up for this service, yet they keep sending me e-mails...) is offering Doom 3 BFG Edition (ie: No Rest for the Living). I'm not sure which is the better option.

I held off until now, but I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I've already written off the multi, but the single player has some potential and SnapMap looks so cool that it could end up providing dozens of hours of fun on its own. I also haven't gotten The Old Blood yet so hey, free bonus.

Most of the footage we've seen of the game looks pretty tame and disappointing, but then Nvidia went and snuck out two videos of the game actually being played on a PC with always-run turned on and surprise loving surprise, it looks way better.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Ended up doing it from GMG, if only because they have a 20% off coupon right now that drops the game to $48, which is only a little over the gaming budget I have spare right now (though payday is in less than a week, so whatever). And they're also offering Doom 3 BFG Edition, so.

Sorry Old Blood, you'll probably be better off waiting until I actually play that copy of The New Order I bought during a Steam sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I've been playing Shadow Warrior (2013) since I got it in the Humble Bundle a while back and, man, after getting over that initial 30-45 minute hump where you have no powers, your revolver sucks, and you're just sort of flailing at squirrely enemies, I am really surprised by this game. It's gotten me a lot more excited for the prospects of Shadow Warrior 2.

That being said, did anybody else feel like this game loving drags on and on? I think the biggest problem is that you're fighting the same 5 or 6 enemy types over. And over. And over again. By the end of the game, it seemed like Flying Wild Hog's approach to designing setpieces was, "Okay, so we gave you two Warlords and a bunch of lesser demons last room, so let's do a Warlord, a Berserker, and a bunch of lesser demons this room, and then two Berserkers and a bunch of lesser demons after that." The game's already long enough as it is, so I'm not sure why it feels like they were trying to pad it even more.

Still, it's fundamentally really fun and the banter between Hoji and Wang is actually endearing. But holy cow.

Shadow Hog posted:

Ended up doing it from GMG, if only because they have a 20% off coupon right now that drops the game to $48, which is only a little over the gaming budget I have spare right now (though payday is in less than a week, so whatever). And they're also offering Doom 3 BFG Edition, so.

Sorry Old Blood, you'll probably be better off waiting until I actually play that copy of The New Order I bought during a Steam sale.

I ended up getting it on Steam because both TNO and The Old Blood have been on my wishlist for a long time now, and I've noticed that those two games haven't been getting discounted very much during the Steam sales. I still haven't bought TNO but, hey, The Old Blood is supposed to be a prequel, right?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 08:20 on May 12, 2016