Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Cakefool posted:

Could you by a powered version of each tool separately for less?

Maybe? I haven't really looked into them that much. e: oh hey, powered aerators are like 1500 bucks and up. Yikes.

Part of the Flex's appeal is that it is one motor to maintain. Flip side is, if that one motor goes out, your attachments won't work. And you just know they'll come up with a version 2 that won't be compatible with version 1 attachments.

Tide fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Pham Nuwen posted:

I hate that loving song.

Dude, everybody hates that loving song.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
The bullying continues!

Took two days (Mon and Tues) to visit my mother (haven't seen her since Jan, and sunday was her bday and mother's day) and take my licensing test. Now the principal suspects I'm abusing my sick time and wants a doctor's note for those two days. rear end in a top hat.

So I am getting my doctor to fax one over. Two can play this game.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

And now it's implanted in my head thanks jerk :argh:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

leica posted:

And now it's implanted in my head thanks jerk :argh:
Here, this'll get your mind on something else. I'll betcha you only need to read the title.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tide posted:

The perspective I'm looking at is this...

A riding mower is going to cost 1000 bucks. Then you still have to get the aerator and thatcher, which is 200-300 each. So your cost is up to around 1500. You could get the flex plus mower, aerator, and thatcher for a total of about 1000.

Or you can spend a couple hundred on a rake for the thatching and aerator drum and do the same thing; just take longer and take more work. Assuming, of course, you have the push mower with a bagger on it.

I guess it comes down to "how much is your time worth".
Or look at it the other way, for only a little more, you could have an actual old tractor.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

scuz posted:

Here, this'll get your mind on something else. I'll betcha you only need to read the title.

You son of a bitch.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

InitialDave posted:

Or look at it the other way, for only a little more, you could have an actual old tractor.

If I had the land (and storage), hell yeah I'd love a tractor. Sadly, I don't.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

QuarkMartial posted:

The bullying continues!

Took two days (Mon and Tues) to visit my mother (haven't seen her since Jan, and sunday was her bday and mother's day) and take my licensing test. Now the principal suspects I'm abusing my sick time and wants a doctor's note for those two days. rear end in a top hat.

So I am getting my doctor to fax one over. Two can play this game.

So you took sick time to do not-being-sick things, and the principal suspects you're doing so, and he's the rear end in a top hat?

But at least you're getting a doctor to lie for you, that's good.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

scuz posted:

Bulking is something that would likely bankrupt me because I'm not particularly affluent and my metabolism is on the high side of "circus freaky." 6' 7", 200#, and I wanna put on 50# of muscle by my 32nd birthday on October 20th. I have a plan and I'm tracking my lifts, but I loathe overeating v:shobon:v

If you need a healthy food high in protein and are worried about how much all that chicken is going to cost you, remember that most chinese buffets charge like five or ten bucks a meal (it's cheaper if you do lunch!) and have chicken broccoli on the menu. :haw:

e: and I feel you on the rest, 6'5", barely over 200, and still eating whatever I want... just less of it than previously. I need to actually do some exercising this summer, fortunately I have a lot of house and vehicle repair work coming up.

kastein fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 11, 2016

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

The original version (Bruce Springsteen) is approximately 8000x better.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
New AAA study showing more people in fatal WA crashes had marijuana in their systems: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fatal-crashes-involving-marijuana-in-washington-double-after-legalization-study-says.html
AAA itself is being pretty reasonable with not jumping to conclusions, but on its face, doesn't sound good for legalization.

I wonder if marijuana consumption broadly went up after legalization, and whether that had a significant effect?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Eh, not going to do much. Pot's in your system in detectable amounts long after the intoxicating effects fade. Unless they've got causative proof to go with it, that study doesn't say much other than consumption may be more common.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SCA Enthusiast posted:

The original version (Bruce Springsteen) is approximately 8000x better.

Agreed. I think I've heard that on the radio a grand total of once. Most people don't even know it's his song. Same with 'For You'.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

I have about 200sqm of lawn and when my wife was complaining about having difficulty manhandling and pull starting the lawnmower I found I could buy an old sit on mower for the price of a decent electric. They have electric start. Couldn't convince her it was justified.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

kimbo305 posted:

New AAA study showing more people in fatal WA crashes had marijuana in their systems: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/fatal-crashes-involving-marijuana-in-washington-double-after-legalization-study-says.html
AAA itself is being pretty reasonable with not jumping to conclusions, but on its face, doesn't sound good for legalization.

I wonder if marijuana consumption broadly went up after legalization, and whether that had a significant effect?

Note that this study does not give any figures on the actual fatal crash counts, so there is no way to know if fatal accidents increased, or even decreased in the study period, only the proportion of drivers involved in those accidents with THC in their system (which also has no bearing on actually being impaired because of how THC is measured and stays in the system for so long).

It's like doing a study of fatal accidents in prohibition vs. after prohibition was over, and stating that the number of fatal collisions involving people who drank alcohol sometime during the prior 30 days had doubled after prohibition ended. No poo poo more people are going to partake when it's legal than when it isn't. Shocking news.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

So we treat it like we do DUIs. I thought WA and CO basically said driving high would get you a DUI?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Fine but they're not measuring "high", just "had THC in their system", which could be days after.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
Months if you're SAC

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

loving months.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

NitroSpazzz posted:

'healthy is a lifestyle'

Alternately: eat whatever, exercise never, maaaybe break into 'normal' BMI if you get lazy/fat enough. Works for me.

Pham Nuwen posted:

So you took sick time to do not-being-sick things, and the principal suspects you're doing so, and he's the rear end in a top hat?

But at least you're getting a doctor to lie for you, that's good.

He might as well use it before it goes away. I doubt they buy out unused vacation/sick time at the end. What are they going to do, fire him? :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Figure out how often you're going to be aerating your lawn. What's this? Only once a year?

Rent the fucker.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i just did one of those online technical skills thing for a company i applied to and now i feel like a terrible programmer

at least i feel like i did well on the technical skills quiz, but the code reading/writing one :smith:

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

Fun Shoe
There was a skills assessment test for an IT company that I bombed to hell and back and they still hired me. :unsmith: Turns out that everyone that passed the test with flying colors merely googled every answer and wound up being useless on the job whereas I was able to get poo poo done.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Tusen Takk posted:

i just did one of those online technical skills thing for a company i applied to and now i feel like a terrible programmer

at least i feel like i did well on the technical skills quiz, but the code reading/writing one :smith:

Yeah, it happens but at least you have an idea of what kind of questions companies could ask you. Go study up and write some more code. Only way to get better is to write more code.

If development doesn't work out, there's always qa or automated testing. I don't know if I'd recommend it but it worked out for me.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

If development doesn't work out, there's always qa or automated testing. I don't know if I'd recommend it but it worked out for me.

I found out in college that I didn't enjoy coding at all, so my life went an entirely different direction. A bit over 5 years ago when I was unemployed because the construction industry was in the dumps completely, I stumbled into a job in QA (thanks to networking from years ago) and it's easily the best job I've ever had, and a perfect fit for me (they pay me to find fault with others, instead of getting upset at me for that!). It doesn't hurt that after only 5 years I'm also making far more money than I ever have in my life.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would really like to get into mobile development, but it seems that all the jobs around here are for embedded systems thanks to the auto industry. I'm okay with C/C++ and I would have considered myself really good at Java, but then I took that quiz and i know jack poo poo about hashtables and mutexes so i guess this is what i get for applying to a job that was looking for someone with 3 years of experience

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tusen Takk posted:

We love to ask candidates to explain some random coding challenge in front of a group of 5 of us and I always feel so drat bad for these poor bastards because that's hard poo poo right there. Most of the time in reality the answer is "Uh, let me research it for an hour and I'll then fix it without explaining it" and they've got to do the direct opposite in front of a bunch of critical and smug engineers and systems architects who all have their own preferred method for doing something that could satisfactorily be done 4 different ways. If you don't feel like a terrible coder after every interview, you're not trying for challenging enough positions.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's "taken" me a few hours to write this dumb cobol program to insert a poo poo load of rows into a table because I forgot how batch works.

If you pay attention, measure twice, and cut once, you'll be above 99% of the field. Don't worry about it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

We love to ask candidates to explain some random coding challenge in front of a group of 5 of us and I always feel so drat bad for these poor bastards because that's hard poo poo right there. Most of the time in reality the answer is "Uh, let me research it for an hour and I'll then fix it without explaining it" and they've got to do the direct opposite in front of a bunch of critical and smug engineers and systems architects who all have their own preferred method for doing something that could satisfactorily be done 4 different ways. If you don't feel like a terrible coder after every interview, you're not trying for challenging enough positions.

Hmm, that's a really good way to look at it, especially considering i put in my CV

quote:

The number one thing that I would like to get out of a position as a Software Engineer with your company is a learning environment where I can be challenged and grow to meet my potential. I strongly believe that college can only take you so far in learning, and that the primary source of learning is from on the job experience. I very much hope that I can take these first steps with a company as amazing as yours.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

Hmm, that's a really good way to look at it, especially considering i put in my CV

"as amazing as yours" is pandering. That'd turn me off if I saw it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

meatpimp posted:

Sort of agree, I think I would change that to "I very much hope that I can take these first steps with <name of company>."

So personalize it to each application.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

meatpimp posted:

Agreed, that section is just fine without the final little bit. "I very much hope I can take these first steps with Spacely Sprockets" would also help, that way it doesn't feel like a completely generic resume.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Good point, I'll change that right now

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tusen Takk posted:

Good point, I'll change that right now

I don't teach technical and business writing for nothin', motherfucker.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I saw a resume last week that said "I would love to get a job with Boeing". They weren't applying for a job at Boeing.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

The Locator posted:

I found out in college that I didn't enjoy coding at all, so my life went an entirely different direction. A bit over 5 years ago when I was unemployed because the construction industry was in the dumps completely, I stumbled into a job in QA (thanks to networking from years ago) and it's easily the best job I've ever had, and a perfect fit for me (they pay me to find fault with others, instead of getting upset at me for that!). It doesn't hurt that after only 5 years I'm also making far more money than I ever have in my life.

I had a similar experience or should I have. I've realized that I'm not very good at coding and haven't really put everything I need into to it to get better. I got an automated testing job on a whim and used my experience to get to another company. I've made some moves to get towards development but I'm kind of coming to the realization that I'm good at QA and maybe I should stay here.

More E/N:

Girlfriend got a job in another town a few hours away. I think she's going to take it. I don't know what that means for us. :smith:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I *LOVE* that song :D

Bite me if you have a problem with my awful musical taste :p

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I *LOVE* that song :D

Bite me if you have a problem with my awful musical taste :p

Jesus christ. Australians...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde

kimbo305 posted:

As others have said, this means literally nothing as THC metabolite levels (which are what is actually tested for in blood) can remain high enough to be detectable for

Super Aggro Crag posted:

loving months.

And the study itself specifically says they only found 'traces' :v: that's the biggest issue with drug blood testing tbh, that the tests we have for THC don't actually indicate whether you're high or not.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Jesus christ. Australians...

i will not apologize for art

• Locked thread