Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
My favorite little episode detail was the server farm engineer's badge which showed a grainy black and white photo of a much younger, much happier man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Talorat posted:

My favorite little episode detail was the server farm engineer's badge which showed a grainy black and white photo of a much younger, much happier man.

The cell phone holder was perfect as well. I see hundreds of those guys out at lunch every week wearing the button down short sleeve shirt with some reebok shoes and socks that come up just a bit too high. And of course they have their cell phone attached to their belt and the badge. It's the engineer / tech guy uniform.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
What's the most cave-troll job in IT, anyways?

I'm asking for a friend.

Edit: Emphasis on the lack of human contact.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 09:51 on May 10, 2016

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Accretionist posted:

What's the most cave-troll job in IT, anyways?

I'm asking for a friend.

NOC Engineer.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I just binged my way through all three seasons and bloody love it.

I can't make u my mind if its a dramatic-comedy or a comedic-drama as so many things cut close to the bone.

My favorite side character is the super chill corporate lawyer. The scene when they are arguing over the stolen phone is to real, the way he just sidelines his client and the counterparty. That he just says "hey david, lets just sidebar this" "cool" I have a lawyer in the family and that's pretty much how it works. You can bluster all you want but what the law says you can do and what you want to do is completely different.

The other scene was when Richard gets screwed over and he just switches on him. Even saying he cannot talk to him about previous conversations. Or that piece of poo poo deal Richard signed instantly become his standard for poo poo deals. Once again it is so true. Once you are on the other side a lawyer goes from loving you to hating you.

AS for the current plotline, I hope PP get to do their platform but looking at episode descriptions I think Richard might be up poo poo creek.

Dayne
Dec 5, 2003
uh, yeah

buddhanc posted:

The cell phone holder was perfect as well. I see hundreds of those guys out at lunch every week wearing the button down short sleeve shirt with some reebok shoes and socks that come up just a bit too high. And of course they have their cell phone attached to their belt and the badge. It's the engineer / tech guy uniform.

And the fact that the cellphone was a Blackberry (you can see the logo in one of the shots) is like the cherry on top of it all. The layering of the little details like that in this show is great.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
The evidence for "it was a trick" is solid and sound, but I would really love it to be the case that an entire heist arc was set up for much of one episode and was immediately tossed aside in one gently caress up to screw with our expectations.

I'm rooting for the PP crew, but this show is just more resonating and poignant when the stone of Sisyphus keeps hammering back down on them.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 10, 2016

Mr. Mojangles
Dec 15, 2005

The kneepads could very well be for protecting the actors knees.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

buddhanc posted:

The cell phone protector has to be one of those massive clunky cases like the Otter Defender.

etalian fucked around with this message at 14:35 on May 10, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
My dad isn't even a tech guy, he's some executive level something. They gave him an iPhone and required him to put it in an otter box and then he got a belt clip for it as well.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Mr. Mojangles posted:

1. They'd put down a mat if they didn't want it on camera, or shoot him above the waist
No 2

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I do like the idea that they had a great plan for the season but didn't like as much as another and went, "well let's do the setup episode and blow it up immediately."

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

It's the most disappointing kind of company in your company; the kind that when found just dies immediately.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Echo Chamber posted:

The evidence for "it was a trick" is solid and sound, but I would really love it to be the case that an entire heist arc was set up for much of one episode and was immediately tossed aside in one gently caress up to screw with our expectations.

I'm rooting for the PP crew, but this show is just more resonating and poignant when the stone of Sisyphus keeps hammering back down on them.

Yeah, I don't want them to step on one of the funniest gags of the year

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What would they gain from revealing any type of plan? Seems like it would only make Barker more suspicious from then on out.

This may be more setup for Richard's development. He needs to deal with Barker directly himself. First he tried tattling on Barker to Lorie and get her to make Barker drop the box idea. That didn't work. Then he tried to be sneaky instead of directly dealing with Barker. The screw up now leaves Richard only with direct action left.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 10, 2016

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo

Deadulus posted:

What would they gain from revealing any type of plan? Seems like it would only make Barker more suspicious from then on out.

This may be more setup for Richard's development. He needs to deal with Barker directly himself. First he tried tattling on Barker to Lorie and get her to make Barker drop the box idea. That didn't work. Then he tried to be sneaky instead of directly dealing with Barker. The screw up now leaves Richard only with direct action left.

Or it may set up a sneaky way for Richard to reveal that the Hooli guy's are up their rear end on a platform and might eat their lunch before they can even get a box to market. It's sort of a misdirected strong arm tactic where Barker is backed into a corner and wouldn't technically be showing weakness to Richard.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The ex-Hooli guys might have figured out the algorithm but it seemed like they needed Gilfoyle because he knows how to turn it into a platform.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I think the obvious reason for revealing a fake skunkworks plan is probably the best. Make it something completely different and utterly impotent as an option, have Richard beg for their jobs on his knees, and then make it look like they learned their lesson by staying far far away from the leaked 'plan'. Men like Barker will believe they can crush the spirit out of their employees, afterall, especially if faced with devastating financial losses.

That or it really is Richard being a total fuckup again.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

SnatchRabbit posted:

Or it may set up a sneaky way for Richard to reveal that the Hooli guy's are up their rear end on a platform and might eat their lunch before they can even get a box to market. It's sort of a misdirected strong arm tactic where Barker is backed into a corner and wouldn't technically be showing weakness to Richard.

That's what I think it is. The original haversack plan involved leaking fake plans along with supporting fake coded radio transmissions, fake documents, etc. to get the enemy to think the coming assault would be on the west side of a city (for example), so that the east side would be minimally defended.

I think they want Jack to know that the ex-Hooli 'mercenaries' know how to crack middle-out as a way to get him to approve platform development over enterprise, the whole skunkworks plan is a misdirection.

I GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT NEXT WEEK!

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

red19fire posted:

I GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT NEXT WEEK!

Preview/promo is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taQH1fc6BnU

:suspense::bubblewoop::asoiaf::coolspot::peanut: What OTHER Incubator? :suspense::bubblewoop::asoiaf::coolspot::peanut:

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Dead Snoopy posted:

:suspense::bubblewoop::asoiaf::coolspot::peanut: What OTHER Incubator? :suspense::bubblewoop::asoiaf::coolspot::peanut:

Was that bighead at the end?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Fister posted:

lmao look at that house, you just know it is

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You only see the back of someone for a split second but I instantly thought bighead. It makes sense. He has no original thoughts. So when he has lots of money and nothing to do, he probably went with the one thing he knows.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Talorat posted:

Apparently the client side implementation can be run in javascript or something.

I'm pretty sure the Hooli bros mumbled something about a Java plugin, but the first season isn't on the app anymore so hosed if I care to find it and check.

Mister Fister posted:

yes of course it is

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Mr. Mojangles posted:

this whole 'theory' is the dumbest idea I've seen on these forums since the Hurleybird. people like to look way, way too far into poo poo.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

panda clue posted:

this whole 'theory' is the dumbest idea I've seen on these forums since the Hurleybird. people like to look way, way too far into poo poo.

What is the Hurleybird?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Capntastic posted:

What is the Hurleybird?

There was a character in Lost named Hurley, and at one point in the show a bird flies over the group and screeches out a bird noise that could be very roughly interpreted as sounding like his name. There was then this exchange between two characters:

Hurley: Did that bird just say my name?
Sawyer: Yeah, it did. Right before it crapped gold.

It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek joke by the producers, with Hurley acting as the audience and Sawyer being the producers, making fun of people looking for hidden meaning in literally every tiny part of the show. Of course, despite this pretty obviously having no meaning (and being a literal joke about exactly this), people took the bird noise and came up with theories about what it 'actually' meant for YEARS. Its just a classic case of people looking for meaning in dumb poo poo.

edit: clip of the hurleybird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcHaa6PbKsw

panda clue fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 11, 2016

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Dead Snoopy posted:

Big head spending his money well by starting an incubator.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

panda clue posted:

There was a character in Lost named Hurley, and at one point in the show a bird flies over the group and screeches out a bird noise that could be very roughly interpreted as sounding like his name. There was then this exchange between two characters:

Hurley: Did that bird just say my name?
Sawyer: Yeah, it did. Right before it crapped gold.

It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek joke by the producers, with Hurley acting as the audience and Sawyer being the producers, making fun of people looking for hidden meaning in literally every tiny part of the show. Of course, despite this pretty obviously having no meaning (and being a literal joke about exactly this), people took the bird noise and came up with theories about what it 'actually' meant for YEARS. Its just a classic case of people looking for meaning in dumb poo poo.

edit: clip of the hurleybird https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcHaa6PbKsw

I guess the joke was on you when they revealed that Hurleybird stabbed Shannon

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Your Gay Uncle posted:

I guess the joke was on you when they revealed that Hurleybird stabbed Shannon

:golfclap:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT: Wrong thread, there are way too many Silicon Valley related threads. :downs:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 11, 2016

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.
Most of the appeal of Lost was crazy theorizing. That was more hanging a lampshade than mocking.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I like that "looking too far into this poo poo" is referencing the exact strategy they mention in the show.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Nothing will ever be as bad as "I acquit!"

panda clue
May 23, 2014

The Dave posted:

I like that "looking too far into this poo poo" is referencing the exact strategy they mention in the show.

They explained what they were referencing with that 'exact strategy' at the same time he explained it. This whole theory that ~the fall was planned~ relies on them either A) simply lying to the viewer, or B) changing up their entire plan offscreen to 'gotcha!' the viewer, which is not what this show does. It has never done this. Thinking that it happened because "well since they mentioned oceans 11 and this other thing, using historical context we can see...." is just pants-on-head retarded. You might as well be thinking the gold chain has some sort of relevance since it was brought up a dozen times in the episode.

If anything, the titular namedrop was a hint of the irony that was to come later in the episode. Thinking there is some game of thrones behind the scenes secretive poo poo going on in Silicon Valley is bonkers. People are literally suggesting they hired the janitor to help with their scam and are ignoring things like "well how did they know who would find the documents?" and "how did they know what that person would do with them??" and "why would they act shocked to one another after the fall when they were all in on the plan?".

Yeah, people are looking too far into this poo poo and are missing the forest for the trees.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 11, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's almost as if each theory has merit and we won't know how it plays out until we see the next episode.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

DrunkPanda posted:

Consulting is literally the most useless industry ever.

Honestly, this is more or less my core reservation about it. I really like the problem solving nature of the work and I can see the logic in startups or companies diving into new areas wanting to purchase expert insight to avoid blunders.

It's much harder for me to wrap my head around how management at major corporations can justify routinely hiring consultants, which just feels a lot like outsourcing their own job.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Basically the entire point of the experiment itself. The original is a canister or vial of poison that would be released if whatever subatomic occurrence you want to make fun of occurs and triggers the mechanism. In the show they just dumb it down to poison food. One you are leaving it to subatomic change (the whole point of the thought process joke) the other you just poisoned a cat in box and left it closed.

Yeah I see what you mean, that does kind of mangle it.

I've heard that most of the engineering they present on the show (including the basic premise of a 'new' compression algorithm) is also bullshit and even Jared's night outbursts were called "worse than Google translate", so I'd say it's in good company.

SnatchRabbit posted:

But why not just tell him that? It's market information that Barker didn't previously have (exactly what he demanded from Bachman), so he doesn't look weak to change his mind over it.

Communicating it this way would just make Richard look terrible to both Barker and Raviga for needlessly concealing a critical piece of information in addition to the whole faking the product that we're selling plan.

panda clue posted:

Thinking that it happened because "well since they mentioned oceans 11 and this other thing, using historical context we can see...." is just pants-on-head retarded.

They didn't just 'mention' the Haversack, it's the name of the episode. And the kind of fakeout you're describing is literally a major plot point of Oceans 11- tricking both the villain and audience into thinking they'd been thwarted mid-heist. Community's Oceans 11 satire episode did the same thing.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 11, 2016

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Cojawfee posted:

It's almost as if each theory has merit and we won't know how it plays out until we see the next episode.

My assertion is that the 'theory' doesn't have any merit and people dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I didn't think about that. He just needs to go to Jack and mention that ex nucleus people figured it out and could beat them to market.

• Locked thread