Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Nothing can forgive the fairy sex goddess and the sex ninjas. Rothfuss conned a sizable number of people into reading his wank fantasies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
How are we supposed to realize how cool Kvothe was if we didn't know how good at sex he was?

Also, don't forget that they weren't just sex ninjas. They were ninjas that viewed sex so casually that they never linked it to pregnancy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpacePig posted:

How are we supposed to realize how cool Kvothe was if we didn't know how good at sex he was?

Also, don't forget that they weren't just sex ninjas. They were ninjas that viewed sex so casually that they never linked it to pregnancy.

Which means there was probably tons of "accidental" incest and inbreeding going on but that's not a problem because their "way of zen" was just so powerful that everyone was born perfect.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xy Hapu posted:

You would have to write thousands of pages of poo poo. I say just let the professionals handle it
Turdis McWordis to the rescue!

The problem with the "it's intentionally bad" angle is that at the end of the day, it's still bad. Yeah, you're right but no one gives a gently caress about the distinction between being really good at pretending you're a lovely writer and actually being one.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I knew there was something off about these books. Now I'm ashamed for having read them.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I knew there was something off about these books.

What part tipped you off?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Perhaps he was tipped off in three parts?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

anilEhilated posted:

Turdis McWordis to the rescue!

The problem with the "it's intentionally bad" angle is that at the end of the day, it's still bad. Yeah, you're right but no one gives a gently caress about the distinction between being really good at pretending you're a lovely writer and actually being one.

I'm going to have to insist that you not use my pen name, TIA.

Having Kote be an unreliable narrator, or Ambrose all along, or whatever thing that somehow make the book seem more self-aware would work at the end of the first book, and that's about it. Having what's going to be near 2000 pages of a story end up being made up bullshit would be probably the biggest letdown. I know I'm not getting a fantastic ending that ties every loose end, because there's too many of them to settle in a single book. But I'd like an ending that at least resolves something.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The sex ninja and sex fairy chapters. I'm ashamed I didn't get there on my own though, this thread helped me articulate all those feelings.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Xy Hapu posted:

I'd rather Kote be Ambrose, old and guilt ridden after killing Kvothe to the extent he takes up his old enemy's name and spreads his legend while vilifying himself. The prose is overwrought and nonsensical because Ambrose is a hack poet and the characterization one-dimensional because he wants Kvothe in the best possible light and himself as a mustache twirling villain, yet enough of his old self remains that he has unconsciously painted Kvothe as kind of a douche also. He doesn't actually know that much about Kvothe's past so the story just nonsensically transitions from one phase to another, following the broad strokes he is aware of. Kvothe's inexplicable hatred of poetry is a reflection of Ambrose's own self-loathing. Bast is like, Kvothe's ghost or something.

This worked as a four-page Borges short story. It would work less well as a 3000-page trilogy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

I'm going to have to insist that you not use my pen name, TIA.
Actually we've both been beaten, the account is already around. That's what happens when you don't copyright your claims.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

anilEhilated posted:

Actually we've both been beaten, the account is already around. That's what happens when you don't copyright your claims.

I do need a particularly goony looking Rothfuss-inspired avatar, however. I'm leaning towards this:

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
th-the-th-th-th-that's all folks!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Turdis McWordis posted:

I do need a particularly goony looking Rothfuss-inspired avatar, however. I'm leaning towards this:

I'm glad an off-hand joke of mine lead to somebody registering an account. Neat.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I'm glad an off-hand joke of mine lead to somebody registering an account. Neat.

I've not been this delighted since rickon walnutsbane Groovelord Neato registered.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
:barf: Pat posted an update :barf:

About Tak. His new kickstarter.

Rothfuzz posted:

At one point the waitress comes over to bring us some drinks. She asks what we’re doing. We say we’re playing a game. What’s it called? Tak.

Then she says, “It’s really beautiful. I mean aesthetically. I just like looking at it.”

And I beam like a proud father. “Thank you,” I said. “We worked really hard on that.”

Part of what made the game we were playing a little extra beautiful is the fact that I had a early prototype of the wooden board with me.

Tak does not look beautiful.

Tak looks like two stoners dumped one of those Hillshire Farms smoked sausage gift baskets onto a chess board and started playing klingon tri-D checkers with the stacks of cheddar/crackers/processed meat and took the occasional bite out of the pieces.

Even the waitresses in his blog are fictional stock characters.

MartingaleJack fucked around with this message at 22:41 on May 12, 2016

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Turdis McWordis posted:

Rothfuss manages to look more insane than the guy who shot up a PP clinic.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

:barf: Pat posted an update :barf:

About Tak. His new kickstarter.

Tak looks like two stoners dumped one of those Hillshire Farms smoked sausage gift baskets onto a chess board and started playing klingon tri-D checkers with the stacks of cheddar/crackers/processed meat and took the occasional bite out of the pieces.

It does look like a kinda fun game, but christ those pieces are hideous.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BananaNutkins posted:

I refuse to believe anyone could write that waitress's dialogue, sit back from their keyboard, and actually think "why yes that's how people talk."

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

BananaNutkins posted:

The Kickstarter says it comes with a companion book. Calling it now: the game ships with everything but the book, because it's just such a work of heartbreaking genius it'll take him years to finish it.

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It does look like a kinda fun game, but christ those pieces are hideous.

I'm tempted to try and break Tak. It doesn't look particularly deep. I'm not good at game theory though :(

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Hate Fibration posted:

I'm tempted to try and break Tak. It doesn't look particularly deep. I'm not good at game theory though :(

It looks like tic-tak-toe.

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

PJOmega posted:

I refuse to believe anyone could write that waitress's dialogue, sit back from their keyboard, and actually think "why yes that's how people talk."

This post is really beautiful. I mean aesthetically. I just like looking at it

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Turdis McWordis posted:

It’s really beautiful. I mean aesthetically. I just like looking at it

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

PJOmega posted:

Rothfuss' waiter was Jim Norton's character Kirk Sinnamin.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
He just really loves words guys.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Atlas Hugged posted:

He just really loves words guys.

He's got the best words.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
JivJov is crossposting on reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/books/comments/4j5wjg/the_name_of_the_wind_is_the_only_book_to_this/

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm just glad someone in there had the sense of namedropping Gene Wolfe because it seems more and more that's who Rothfuss is trying to emulate. Except for, y'know, Wolfe actually knowing how to use the narrator, not needing thousands of pages and being a good stylist.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Not me; my reddit username is the same as my name here

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
"It's so satisfying when something went the characters way for once" he says of a character who was paid to attend a prestigious University after learning the semi-advance magic they teach for free. I'm glad this very minor thing went his way, good for him.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I can't think of a single thing that hasn't "gone his way" so far. Maybe when he tried to out sympathy Devi but lost? But that all worked out because why wouldn't it. Even when he pisses off what is basically a queen he walks away with tuition for life and a scheme to always have money.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I mean, his whole family was slaughtered that one time. That wasn't great.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
His dad didn't like poetry, they probably had it coming.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Nakar posted:

His dad didn't like poetry, they probably had it coming.

Kvothe also thinks music and poetry are two unconnected things, though this could be Rothfuss's total lack of knowledge about music (or poetry) shining through as well.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
The things Rothfuss doesn't know has filled two books and one novella/vignette.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

SpacePig posted:

I mean, his whole family was slaughtered that one time. That wasn't great.

This(and Tarbean) aren't REALLY part of the plot proper, though. They're just ~tragic backstory~ boxchecking

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

This(and Tarbean) aren't REALLY part of the plot proper, though. They're just ~tragic backstory~ boxchecking

The Chandrian are technically the driving force behind his adventure, even if it's rarely addressed. It's not quite on the same level of pointlessness as Tarbean.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Emphasis on technically. They don't really drive much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

anilEhilated posted:

Emphasis on technically. They don't really drive much.

Was there ANY movement on that plot line in book 2? I vaguely recall maybe the lightning tree bandit thing being connected in some vague hand wavy way, but I got distracted when Kvothfuss started having sex with his karate instructor.

• Locked thread