Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Swamp thing's space adventures started after he reforested Gotham and the army zapped him with some gizmo that Luthor designed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah, aliens weren't involved.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Refreshing my memory, mea culpa. Alan Moore finished his run (with the space stuff caused by Luthor) before Invasion! began. What the aliens did was send Swampy slowly backwards in time, and Rick Veitch was writing by then. It's a shame, Veitch first exhibited a voluminous knowledge of the DCU's past, with tons of surprising guest stars, but then he slowly started hinting at religious ideas, with the idea being that Swamp Thing himself was many holy pieces of wood or trees in religious iconography. Following his storyline, DC was going to hand the book off to Jamie Delano and Neil Gaiman to tag team, each doing half the year. But Veitch's scripts came in with Swamp Thing becoming The Holy Cross Jesus was hung on and the editors were so inflamed that they fired Veitch from the book on the spot. Delano and Gaiman, in quiet protest, refuse to take the job after all (and were already too valuable to DC at the time) so the book got handed off to Doug Wheeler to finish that storyline and then start his own. Gaiman at that point had already written the Annual as his "test run" that year as well, and the stories from it (a decent one involving the return of Brother Power to the DCU, and a filler one involving The Floronic Man) aren't bad stories. Wheeler himself seemed to do a pretty good job of things, cleaning up the story arc he had dropped in his lap, and eventually doing a major arc tying into an old Batman Annual Swamp Thing was involved in (no, not the time he seiged Gotham)

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Wasn't the Swamp Thing tie in to INVASION! the Pogo alien issue?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Choco1980 posted:

Swamp Thing becoming The Holy Cross Jesus was hung on

Well here's something I never knew I wanted so bad.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

No, but the lil alligator dude that got ripped to shreds by real gators in that story walks by his side as he trudges through hell in the epilogue story I mentioned (as does Abin Sur) in an effort to rescue his infant daughter. :unsmith:

Kel Gand, father of Mon-El, and the only Daxamite to fall in the Invasion leads them to the very gates between Hell and Purgatory before he balks as there are several in the Dominators faction inside making a new afterlife for themselves, including the Spider Guild who end up owning a whole wing of their own. The other neat thing is in purgatory we see the massive army of Durlans (think Chameleon Boy) in their own personal hell after dying to Earth--they end up being building blocks making empty buildings...being trapped in boring cubes for eternity unable to commune is apparently the worst thing that could befall them.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anyone have the "There's the door, spaceman" scene from New Frontier?

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This one?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Yes, but there's a few more pages setting the whole thing up. I was hoping for the entire scene. Thanks, though!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I live his WW. Because she's a slightly less imposing Barda, and she doesn't take any poo poo.

Makes Supes look like a guy in his jammies in that scene.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Uthor posted:

Yes, but there's a few more pages setting the whole thing up. I was hoping for the entire scene. Thanks, though!

Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe someone else saved the entire scene? :shobon:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Captain Bravo posted:

Sorry, that's all I've got. Maybe someone else saved the entire scene? :shobon:

Well, I do have the clip from the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ3IvqsJaVo

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
Requested in the Touching and Inspiring Panels thread, but probably more appropriate here given the last page.

John Henry in DC: The New Frontier #3

(Full sequence in linked album)

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

FilthyImp posted:

I live his WW. Because she's a slightly less imposing Barda, and she doesn't take any poo poo.

Makes Supes look like a guy in his jammies in that scene.

Making Wonder Woman taller than Superman really was a subtle but brilliant idea. It shows that Superman may be regarded as the alpha dog of the pack, but that there are others who are at least for the most part on his level or at least not at all afraid to stand up to him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

At the end of Year One, Alfred took one of those super pills and beat the everloving poo poo out of Superman before leaving with a broken Batman. Now we're reaching the end of the series and it's sadly time to tie up loose ends.

Alfred proves to be the loving man.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm presuming Supes fries him on the next page but God what a boss way to go down.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TwoPair posted:

I'm presuming Supes fries him on the next page but God what a boss way to go down.

They actually show restraint and end the scene like that.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Does the shape of superman's insignia fluctuate with his mood or something?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I love Alfred. :allears: And seeing how childishly angry AssholeSupes gets when "I'm goddamn Superman" doesn't get what he wants is wonderful.

ManiacClown
May 30, 2002

Gone, gone, O honky man,
And rise the M.C. Etrigan!

"Alfred, please give me some fucks."

"I'm sorry, sir, but I've developed a dreadful allergy to them. I can't bear to even see much less touch one to give it. I fear I shan't ever give a gently caress again. Tea, sir?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I love Alfred. :allears: And seeing how childishly angry AssholeSupes gets when "I'm goddamn Superman" doesn't get what he wants is wonderful.

That's at least one thing that works equally well in the game too. It's why the final boss fight in story mode is satisfying, because the mainline DCU Superman kicks his rear end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Still does not compare to his childishly posting on Twitter

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

That's at least one thing that works equally well in the game too. It's why the final boss fight in story mode is satisfying, because the mainline DCU Superman kicks his rear end.

Y'know, I have the game but I never got around to playing it since I'm not usually much for fighty games. I might have to dig it out now, though

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Y'know, I have the game but I never got around to playing it since I'm not usually much for fighty games. I might have to dig it out now, though

After playing through story mode, play through arcade mode as Batman. His ending is the perfect epilogue.

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
Cool panels and all, but all I can see are 'Supes 90's bikini bottoms

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Same. A friend bought it for me as a gift and I feel guilty I never played it yet. I hear the Star labs mode is fun too, with interesting stuff to it. (Including a 1 vs 3 fight early on that is almost definitely supposed to be the "Supes on Joker Gas" prologue considering the lineup)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Gavok posted:

Injustice: Gods Among Us: Year Five #22

At the end of Year One, Alfred took one of those super pills and beat the everloving poo poo out of Superman before leaving with a broken Batman. Now we're reaching the end of the series and it's sadly time to tie up loose ends.

Alfred proves to be the loving man.

welp, thread's over, Alfred "No Vaseline" Pennyworth wins

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

That was so lame. The answer to "How do we defeat a Superman gone bad who has the entire earth in the palm of his hand" should not be "Non-bad Superman fixes everything"

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Lurdiak posted:

That was so lame. The answer to "How do we defeat a Superman gone bad who has the entire earth in the palm of his hand" should not be "Non-bad Superman fixes everything"

Isn't that the answer to the question in comics like nine times out of ten though?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DarkCrawler posted:

Isn't that the answer to the question in comics like nine times out of ten though?

It's almost like Superman is more interesting as a villain.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Let's please not have another slapfight about Supes being boring or not. We all know it depends on the writer.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I liked it because it's more than "Superman solves our Superman problems." It's a betrayed, weary and hopeless Batman having to regain his sense of trust in the very concept of Superman.

Besides, they did have him dead to rights before that, but Shazam had to go and screw it up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure of the exact issue: I would guess Excalibur #66 or 67:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Gavok posted:

I liked it because it's more than "Superman solves our Superman problems." It's a betrayed, weary and hopeless Batman having to regain his sense of trust in the very concept of Superman.

Besides, they did have him dead to rights before that, but Shazam had to go and screw it up.

Billy did not deserve to get his brain microwaved. :(

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Not sure of the exact issue: I would guess Excalibur #66 or 67:

That loving "meanwhile..." is slaying me.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Travis343 posted:

That loving "meanwhile..." is slaying me.

I can hear Ted Knight's voice. :allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gavok posted:

I just am still sore that, instead of being a story about a group of mismatched heroes and villains leading a rebellion against Superman's army while led by Batman, the game turned out to be about the Proper DC Heroes going to a world where things are different and Setting Things Right.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Let's please not have another slapfight about Supes being boring or not. We all know it depends on the writer.

Amen to that. Let's have an argument over why Batman would be a much more interesting villain.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When Injustice 2 inevitably comes out, it had BETTER be about a Dr. Doom style evil Batman who took over his own world breaking Evil Superman out of his Superjail to form the World's Crudest Team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

I just am still sore that, instead of being a story about a group of mismatched heroes and villains leading a rebellion against Superman's army while led by Batman, the game turned out to be about the Proper DC Heroes going to a world where things are different and Setting Things Right.

I know exactly where you're coming from and that was an immediate letdown, but over time I was more accepting of it because at the end of the day, the moral is "DC heroes aren't supposed to be this way" and it's refreshing to see that out of some kind of DC media these days.