Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
It's one of those useless pieces of information. You know, like knowing what a PDL is. And the minute technical differences between PCL5E and PCL6. And when it's appropriate to to use a PostScript driver versus PCL. AAnd how to correctly format a custom windows separator page in PCL. And -

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Death to all printers, allahu ackbar

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

stubblyhead posted:

And all printer associated technology, Inshallah.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
On a side note, it amuses me that it took Microsoft until Windows 8 to include cmdlets in Powershell to manipulate printing on the client level. That means that for the Windows 7 crowd it's still game on for ugly cobbled together WMI and .Net.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

stubblyhead posted:

CUPS ackbar

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

On a side note, it amuses me that it took Microsoft until Windows 8 to include cmdlets in Powershell to manipulate printing on the client level. That means that for the Windows 7 crowd it's still game on for ugly cobbled together WMI and .Net.

All of the network adapter/diagnostic stuff is 8+ too and it makes me sad :(

seadweller
Mar 30, 2010

flosofl posted:

PC = Paper Cassette = that drawer you pull out to put paper in.

It's literally telling you to load Letter sized paper in that drawer that you put paper in to print the document. It might as equally say PC LOAD LEGAL or PC LOAD A4 depending on what paper is currently in the drawer or if it's empty.

I've never understood why it's considered confusing. Yes I know, that's me, the humorless robot. Beep bop.

And yes, I've seen Office Space. That joke felt flat to me then, too.

I never knew it was paper cassette.

Anyway I first came across that error when someone had a document emailed from a contact in America and the paper size in the document was letter so that's how I internalised that error. The most common cause of course is its out of paper. Sorry for the derail I am in the middle of organising our rolling hardware replacement program.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

And when it's appropriate to to use a PostScript driver versus PCL.
I still don't know this. :shobon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The answer I think is "switch to the PCL when PS stops working, switch back to PS when PCL stops working".

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
"PUT A4 PAPER IN TRAY 3 TIA"

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
"PC 2 EMPTY PLS ADVSE"

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Potato Salad posted:

"PC 2 EMPTY PLS ADVSE"

OMGWTFBBQ PC 2 FULL NOW TYIA

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
"PC LETTER NEEDFL & RVRT"

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Who's dumbass idea at HP was it to lock down the printer with an error when presented with something it can't print? This is error 49 and it's super annoying. You have to find which computer is sending the bad job and make that mean old print job go away before it'll let you print anything again.

Why not simply print an error sheet with "hey I can't handle this fix it you clutz"?

Imagine having to fix this with potentially 100s of VMs set up to print directly to it. Keeping in mind the spooler can hold on to things for literally years in the hope you might print it someday.

And this never happens for work related stuff. It's always a concert ticket or a recipe.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

skooma512 posted:

Who's dumbass idea at HP was it to lock down the printer with an error when presented with something it can't print? This is error 49 and it's super annoying. You have to find which computer is sending the bad job and make that mean old print job go away before it'll let you print anything again.

Why not simply print an error sheet with "hey I can't handle this fix it you clutz"?

Imagine having to fix this with potentially 100s of VMs set up to print directly to it. Keeping in mind the spooler can hold on to things for literally years in the hope you might print it someday.

And this never happens for work related stuff. It's always a concert ticket or a recipe coupon.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
A ticket came in to merge a PDF. I'd send them to one of those free online websites that does it, but are there any that are US-based and reputable enough to be trusted with stuff?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Zero VGS posted:

A ticket came in to merge a PDF. I'd send them to one of those free online websites that does it, but are there any that are US-based and reputable enough to be trusted with stuff?

Probably not, but we do use this:

https://smallpdf.com/

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

GreenNight posted:

Probably not, but we do use this:

https://smallpdf.com/

I actually just found PDFsam.org, it's an offline converter that is open-source, looks like that'll do the trick.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

fishmech posted:

I always assumed, as a kid, that it meant "Problem Code", to be honest.
Poop Chute.

POOP CHUTE LOAD LETTER

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Knormal posted:

Poop Chute.

POOP CHUTE LOAD LETTER

Take your document and cram it up your rear end?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Zero VGS posted:

I deal with so many oversized and split page PDFs I just run them through SmallPDF and be done with it.

skooma512 posted:

Who's dumbass idea at HP was it to lock down the printer with an error when presented with something it can't print?

This is the one good thing I can say about our Xerox MFP, I was dinking around the settings and found it can ignore mismatched jobs and delete them after a few minutes if no one comes to check it out. So rather than people complaining the printer isn't printing anything because they sent an A3 print job to the A4 tray, they can complain that... the printer isn't printing anything because they sent an A3 print job to the A4 tray.

At least it doesn't hold up the whole queue! :v:
(I don't know how they manage it, the defaults are set properly so I can only assume MS word is overriding them)

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Some poor bastard cut through a bunch of fiber yesterday. My friend is just getting service back now,

http://abc7ny.com/technology/time-warner-cable-service-restored-after-major-outage-in-new-york-city-area-/1330571/

The company that cut the cable is probably bankrupt now. If it was me, I'd just leave and never look back.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

The answer I think is "switch to the PCL when PS stops working, switch back to PS when PCL stops working".

This is exactly how I do it.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Gotta like that people will blame the cable company when fiber gets cut once it's announced. I hate time Warner and they aren't worth poo poo. But how can they prevent morons from not getting permits and layouts of where lines are run.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lime Tonics posted:

Some poor bastard cut through a bunch of fiber yesterday. My friend is just getting service back now,

http://abc7ny.com/technology/time-warner-cable-service-restored-after-major-outage-in-new-york-city-area-/1330571/

The company that cut the cable is probably bankrupt now. If it was me, I'd just leave and never look back.
Our New York office got hit by this yesterday, apparently two XO fiber trunks between Boston-Toronto and Philadelphia-DC got cut? Luckily our backup circut was fine, but that's one hell of a coincidence.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

This is exactly how I do it.

PostScript is better with image heavy workloads and particularly with PDFs. Ever wonder why PDFs sometimes take ages to print on a PCL driver? It's because the entire print job has to be transcoded from the PostScript format into PCL by the print server or the print management engine. This is ancient, ancient technology we're dealing with. Even the proprietary stuff like Canon's UFR II drivers are just modified and extended PCL PDLs.

Anybody want to talk about the differences between v3 and v4 Print Drivers?!?

Please kill me.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

PostScript is better with image heavy workloads and particularly with PDFs. Ever wonder why PDFs sometimes take ages to print on a PCL driver? It's because the entire print job has to be transcoded from the PostScript format into PCL by the print server or the print management engine. This is ancient, ancient technology we're dealing with. Even the proprietary stuff like Canon's UFR II drivers are just modified and extended PCL PDLs.

Anybody want to talk about the differences between v3 and v4 Print Drivers?!?

Please kill me.

Oh I know this, one is user-mode!

Right?

(Beyond that I have no loving idea)

(I'm also not sure I really want to know)

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler

skooma512 posted:

All printing technology is evil. That's why I wrote a PowerShell utility I run every morning that steps through the 4 print servers (each controlling over a thousand queues) and removes jobs that are older than 8 hours. Had to learn a ton about the System.Printing namespace in .NET to make it work right every time. Oh, the evil, evil edge cases that essentially define printing...

...I still wake crying at times...

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Potato Alley posted:

Oh I know this, one is user-mode!

Right?

(Beyond that I have no loving idea)

(I'm also not sure I really want to know)

It's more of a strategy than a technology. MS is attempting to generalize drivers and move away from the bloated mess that is v3. The gist of it is instead of having an individual driver for every specific printer model there will be a "class driver" that is simplified and can cover a wide range of model types. I don't know how they're going to do this considering the generalized drivers don't allow for the more "specialized" features in most cases, like Secure Printing and advanced tray behaviors. Maybe it just isn't mature enough.

MS is trying to push this hard though; v4 drivers are standard in all the Windows 10 driver CAB files now, and it's a requirement for Branch Direct Printing (which is pretty slick despite being an obvious idea that should've been implemented a decade ago).

GPF posted:

All printing technology is evil. That's why I wrote a PowerShell utility I run every morning that steps through the 4 print servers (each controlling over a thousand queues) and removes jobs that are older than 8 hours. Had to learn a ton about the System.Printing namespace in .NET to make it work right every time. Oh, the evil, evil edge cases that essentially define printing...

...I still wake crying at times...

Over a thousand queues on each? Let me guess: each queue has specific settings for B/W, color, etc. because users can't be assed to flick a switch when they want something different. I'm soon-to-be tasked with decommissioning an ancient Windows 2003 Print Server. The poo poo part is that I have to accomplish the following:

1) No user impact. All queues need to shift seamlessly over to the new platform (which will be 2012 R2).
2) All queue names are changing to more accurately match our company's naming convention for servers; this particular print server is a mess in this regard.
3) Completely new server name, for similar reasons as #2.

So basically I'm going to have to map each of the old queue names to what the new queue name is going to be, create some loving huge array in powershell for it all, and let it rip as part of a group policy logon script for each user. poo poo's still going to break because all the driver revisions will be up-to-date and every client is going to update to reflect that.

At first they wanted me to preserve every user's personal queue settings on top of all this, and I flat out said no. Those fuckers can suffer just a little.

Wrath of the Bitch King fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 11, 2016

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Over a thousand queues on each? Let me guess: each queue has specific settings for B/W, color, etc. because users can't be assed to flick a switch when they want something different. I'm soon-to-be tasked with decommissioning an ancient Windows 2003 Print Server. The poo poo part is that I have to accomplish the following:

Our main printer is color, we get charged by the page, the vendor said that color driver even if it is only black and white charges us for a color page. So we have 2 queues for that one. I only have 11 queues though so it's not super crazy. Only 2 people have access to the colorprinter and they never switch to the black and white queue but hey at least no one else is using color.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Gotta like that people will blame the cable company when fiber gets cut once it's announced. I hate time Warner and they aren't worth poo poo. But how can they prevent morons from not getting permits and layouts of where lines are run.

Easy

Not have a single point of failure like that. Nothing's stopping them from having backup links with other peers except for cost.

I totally agree with your statement for something on a smaller scale though, but something that big should have a backup.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

pixaal posted:

the vendor said that color driver even if it is only black and white charges us for a color page.

I'm struggling to understand this piece. Essentially every MFD worth a poo poo made within the past decade differentiates between color and b/w, and you can query that information via SNMP. Who's the manufacturer, just out of curiosity?

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Sometimes even if you do everything right you still cut poo poo. Years ago I had a job laying trunks to neighborhoods for a cable company, and we hit things several times because "Miss Utility" were way off with their markings (in my state they have a 2' leeway on either side of the marking, we hit a power line where the mark was over 6' away).

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

I'm struggling to understand this piece. Essentially every MFD worth a poo poo made within the past decade differentiates between color and b/w, and you can query that information via SNMP. Who's the manufacturer, just out of curiosity?

We have Toshiba copiers that do that. Send it a B/W while the queue settings say colour, you're getting a colour page.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

We have Toshiba copiers that do that. Send it a B/W while the queue settings say colour, you're getting a colour page.

Ah, I think I misunderstood. Yeah, it goes by the queue setting, it doesn't actually interrogate the data to see if color is used.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

UCS Hellmaker posted:

I feel like if the cable company didn't act like mustache-twirling cartoon villains the rest of the time, people might be more inclined to give them some slack when it's legitimately not the company's fault.

Unclean
Jun 28, 2002

skooma512 posted:

And this never happens for work related stuff. It's always a concert ticket or a recipe.

We have the same problem with staff printing recipies from food.com. It's been blocked but Im waiting for them to find another hellhole site that does the same poo poo.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
A ticket came in: Can I install Windows 10?

Anyone have a list of all the Windows Updates that offer Win 10? I appear to have missed one in WSUS.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Gerdalti posted:

A ticket came in: Can I install Windows 10?

Anyone have a list of all the Windows Updates that offer Win 10? I appear to have missed one in WSUS.

Microsoft just put an update out I believe, and it updates the registry settings that block it, so if you aren't pushing them out by GPO you need to redo your work. If you did push it out with a GPO users will be able to install windows 10 for a single reboot until the GPO gets applied again.

Microsoft really doesn't care about businesses using professional, they want you using enterprise.

KB3035583 appears to be the newest bastard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

pixaal posted:

KB3035583 appears to be the newest bastard.

That one has been around for most of the year but the most annoying part is they keep reissuing it. Fun times on a home machine trying to keep Win7 on it. Have to vet every single update now. I wonder if the bullshit will stop once the update stops being free. Probably not :(

• Locked thread