Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Photex posted:

yeah this season is firing on all cylinders...unlike Jake's boat :smugbert:

Yeah, less obviously scripted bullshit on shore (everything Elliot did) and more greenhorn hijinks and ill-advised medical procedures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Removing Elliot is the best addition by subtraction the show could have made.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Bill's seething hatred for his child is what fuels my life force at this point.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Another solid episode free of contrived bullshit. Bill is gold and Casey continues to deal with funny/gross medical issues.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I dunno Bill, sending badly injured guys back on deck during a killer storm doesn't really sound like a good idea to me.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Intestines swelling into the ballsack is now my new greatest fear. Thanks Deadliest Catch.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

kefkafloyd posted:

I dunno Bill, sending badly injured guys back on deck during a killer storm doesn't really sound like a good idea to me.

Yeah

"I can't afford to go back to port so you can get the medical care you need, so I need you to go back on deck with a knee injury, possibly loving up your knee even more ruining your chances for recovery and therefore greatly setting back your retirement plans. I need you to do that Mac, because I'm too cheap to spend the 3 grand it takes to go back in."

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Bill is a oval office.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

spankmeister posted:

Yeah

"I can't afford to go back to port so you can get the medical care you need, so I need you to go back on deck with a knee injury, possibly loving up your knee even more ruining your chances for recovery and therefore greatly setting back your retirement plans. I need you to do that Mac, because I'm too cheap to spend the 3 grand it takes to go back in."

The contrast between Josh and Casey versus Bill this episode was pretty clear. Bill will grouse about "young guys" all show long but when push came to shove he did the wrong (morally) thing. No wonder his son hates his guts. Zach seems like a good deckhand, I'm sure he could land a job on any other boat; the only reason he's sticking around has to be the promise of taking the boat from Bill when he hangs it up... whenever that is.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
In wild bills defense it does seem like he gets a lot of pussies who look for the first opportunity to quit. Zach looks like he's dead inside and has no hope of getting out of where he's at.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Greenhorns will wash out, but Keith and Bill seem to have especially bad luck with them. Bill had especially bad luck between the guy with the knee implant and the dude with open warrants.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Greenhorns will wash out, but Keith and Bill seem to have especially bad luck with them. Bill had especially bad luck between the guy with the knee implant and the dude with open warrants.
Probably because good workers can get on good ships and avoid those two like the plague.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

kefkafloyd posted:

Not much you can do about knee guy but warrant guy, uh, do a background check maybe?

I mean I know probably everyone on these boats has a record but at least check for open items.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I would figure any captain would do background checks for open warrants or stuff like that but who knows. :shrug:

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Holyshoot posted:

In wild bills defense it does seem like he gets a lot of pussies who look for the first opportunity to quit. Zach looks like he's dead inside and has no hope of getting out of where he's at.

It looks like he has put quite a lot of grey in his hair, I think that Bill will hand the reigns over when he has broken him completely and turned Zach into a bigger oval office than himself.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

The new guy (Dwyer) at least seems like he's got a decent grasp on dealing with crew bullshit, talking about how he's expecting his greenhorn to get poo poo, which could possibly ruin the attitude of somebody who otherwise appears to have potential as a deckhand, and how he'll deal with it accordingly.

I can't remember what started it, but I'm kind of surprised at the underhandedness of Mazar calling Sig. The Northwestern (and the Time Bandit) seem to be the two boats that have always been the most well-oiled machines on the show.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Edgar wanted to haul gear in a hurricane and the guy called Sig to let him know what was up and hopefully have Sig pressure Edgar into going into harbor I think?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yeah, that's what prompted it. Which I don't think is underhanded so much as self preservation.

If the boss on sight is being a loving idiot you go over his head. It's not something you do over every little thing but sometimes you have to. Edgar is feeling pressured to have a good season as captain so he's making questionable decisions.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
It's god drat amazing the stark contrast between Bill and the new :shobon: captain doing part of Sig's quota. Like holy poo poo. I hope this show is on for 15 more years so we can watch Sean turn into a bitter vet like Bill.

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-curiositystream-20150318-story.html

quote:

The founder of the Discovery Channel, an early cable-TV hit, is turning to online streaming with a new subscription service called CuriosityStream.

John Hendricks started Discovery Channel in 1982, after watching HBO succeed in the 1970s. He made a fortune and left as chairman of parent company Discovery Communications last spring to pursue his new venture.

On Wednesday, CuriosityStream launched with about 600 series, feature-length documentaries and 20-minute-or-shorter clips on science, technology and history. Access costs $2.99 a month for standard-definition picture quality and $5.99 a month for high definition. The first month is free.

CuriosityStream is expected to feature a mix of content acquired from BBC, NHK and other producers as well as original programming.

I hate the reality show wasteland that Discovery and History etc. have become. So this sounds cool as hell and i'll probably at least be trying the trial month very soon.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

kindermord posted:

http://www.latimes.com/business/technology/la-fi-tn-curiositystream-20150318-story.html

I hate the reality show wasteland that Discovery and History etc. have become. So this sounds cool as hell and i'll probably at least be trying the trial month very soon.

Interesting. VERY interesting. I wonder if it will be shielded from the general programming plague that has destroyed its ancestor networks. I hope they go full steam into history as much as science.

CBJSprague24 posted:

The new guy (Dwyer) at least seems like he's got a decent grasp on dealing with crew bullshit, talking about how he's expecting his greenhorn to get poo poo, which could possibly ruin the attitude of somebody who otherwise appears to have potential as a deckhand, and how he'll deal with it accordingly.

I can't remember what started it, but I'm kind of surprised at the underhandedness of Mazar calling Sig. The Northwestern (and the Time Bandit) seem to be the two boats that have always been the most well-oiled machines on the show.

His outlook is basically exactly the kind of thing I have been wondering out for years now. I just don't see how it is cost effective to psychologically wear down greenhorns. Seems like we finally have a captain who agrees. We'll see how the season goes for him under this way of thinking I guess.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
More like it will be interesting to see what he's like 10 years down the road and 20+ green horns later.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So, uh, I know naked and afraid I isn't the most popular show here, but was tonight the first time producers removed someone for going nuts?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, uh, I know naked and afraid I isn't the most popular show here, but was tonight the first time producers removed someone for going nuts?

It happened to the guy who cried about hurting animals and missed his wife and said he might hurt himself or his partner. Is that the one you saw?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Grem posted:

It happened to the guy who cried about hurting animals and missed his wife and said he might hurt himself or his partner. Is that the one you saw?

No, tonight's new episode had an "eccentric" middle aged housewife who talked like she lived on tumblr (actually quote from her "Well, I'll just give you a trigger warning when I'm getting agitated so you can go to your safe space") who after like 5 days with no sleep threatened to kill her partner.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Did something happen to Scott Campbell Jr.?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Ross Angeles posted:

Did something happen to Scott Campbell Jr.?

IIRC he got really hurt last season and left mid-way through for a big surgery.

quote:

The F/V Seabrooke is out of Deadliest Catch.

Captain Scott "Junior" Campbell retired from being the captain of the F/V Seabrooke, and the Seabrooke's new skipper is Joe O'Donahue out of Kodiak.

Scott has been having serious problems with his back, whcih apparently led to his resignation from being the captain of the F/V Seabrooke.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Is back was so bad that, if IIRC, he could have ended up paralyzed just from sitting in that chair on rough seas.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
If I remember right he also kept fishing for a while knowing full well that he was actively destroying his spine.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah, his overweening ego basically destroyed his spine.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gazaar posted:

If I remember right he also kept fishing for a while knowing full well that he was actively destroying his spine.
Yes. The doctor showed him the x-rays on his back and explained to him how much danger he was in, and Scott basically responded with "gently caress YOU YOUR NOT MY DAD I GOTTA FAMILY TO FEED" and went back out on the Seabrooke with...was it parts of his spine fusing together?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
When that's all you know and you're really good at it too, I imagine it can be pretty hard to quit despite health concerns.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I don't know. I think that if my GP, let alone a Consultant, told me that if I didn't give up my job my spine would explode I would quit immediately. Maybe I would seek a second opinion. But I absolutely wouldn't continue doing the job in the meantime.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I don't know. I think that if my GP, let alone a Consultant, told me that if I didn't give up my job my spine would explode I would quit immediately. Maybe I would seek a second opinion. But I absolutely wouldn't continue doing the job in the meantime.

Might have had a lot of debt? I'd imagine when you bring in the money they do you go a bit crazy on spending because you can afford those monthly payments. Regardless he is now is in the business of high end coolers.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe it's not having been in that position, but I hope to god I would prioritise the long-term good of my family over not going bankrupt. Especially in America where there's no NHS and his sort of condition would basically render him a financial blackhole for his family.

Really though, the vibe I got from him on the programme was simply one of "I'm the best most badarse, I'll man-up and get through it like a man." Which was just irredeemably stupid.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Jake slowly turning into Sig is quite a sight.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

Really though, the vibe I got from him on the programme was simply one of "I'm the best most badarse, I'll man-up and get through it like a man." Which was just irredeemably stupid.
I AM GOING TO BE A BERING SEA LEGEND

LEGEND!!!

L-E-G-E-N-D LEGEND LEGEND LEGEND

Grem
Mar 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 21 days!
Wait why does Naked and Afraid have a bad rap here? The episode goodnight is comedy gold. The lady is just a hilarious failure in every possible way.

I mean, sure the PSR is totally made up and gives a -2 points automatically for "is a woman" but there are some serious trainwrecks of people on this show.

e: lol she just lost their dinner and blamed the dude?

Grem fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 23, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Grem posted:

Wait why does Naked and Afraid have a bad rap here? The episode goodnight is comedy gold. The lady is just a hilarious failure in every possible way.

I mean, sure the PSR is totally made up and gives a -2 points automatically for "is a woman" but there are some serious trainwrecks of people on this show.

e: lol she just lost their dinner and blamed the dude?

N&A is great. It's basically the "garbage" survival show i watch and Alone (although technically History and not Discovery) is the "good" survival show.

And seriously if everyone isn't watching Alone, you should be ashamed. It's very well done and entertaining in a non-guilty pleasure way. Especially the second half of the season when the long-hauls get settled in. Some folks think it's a bit slow and plodding since you're literally just watching people huddle down and survive against the elements while they try to build a tiny life, but I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I always liked Survivorman because Les is really out there on his own without a whole loving support team like most shows.

• Locked thread