Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

BlitzBlast posted:

Hahaha, almost all of my edits are getting rejected now for being "unnecessary".

I guess the people want poo poo english.

EDIT: I should probably be annoyed a literal week's worth of effort is getting thrown away, but I'm kind of just bemused. I wonder if the guy who's going through this entire document rejecting everything actually thinks the original script was fine?

You should ask directly if English is their first language, and if it isn't (which is probably - well, hopefully - the case) explain that your edit is written using far more natural sounding language.

I doubt it will help, but I'm always curious to see how people justify making blatantly wrong/bad decisions.

edit: I general I find it really strange when people involved in stuff like fan translations or fan subs get really obsessive about not letting other people contribute or change their work. It's like being able to say "I did all of this!" matters more to them than actually producing quality work.

edit2: One thing I've wondered about is if large self-contained ESL communities (like English speakers in India) form a lot of their own conventions for how to speak/write English and what is considered good/bad writing. For example, I've noticed a lot of stuff written by and for Indians in English sounds really bizarre, but in a consistent way. Like, it is usually super obvious when you see some English text written by Indian people. I wonder if the same is true for some East Asian English speakers. I feel like it wouldn't be as common due to the fact that, unlike in India, the vast majority of people in East Asian countries don't actually use English outside of classes.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
Of all the directions I thought ISSTH might take, "Pokemon fanfic" wasn't one of them.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Sandman posted:

Of all the directions I thought ISSTH might take, "Pokemon fanfic" wasn't one of them.

Meng Hao's Torterra is pretty good.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
He needs more gym badges so it will obey him.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

LostRook posted:

He needs more gym badges so it will obey him.

What do you think totems are

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
An interim ability that he has since transcended? Anyway, who cares? It is "steal everything in sight" time again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

blastron posted:

Lol, just quit, then. They don't deserve a good editor if they're just going to disregard everything you say.

In the end I just wrote up two scripts, one with all of my edits and one a basic proofreading of the script before I got my hands on it. The guy who actually publishes the stuff hasn't said anything about my work yet, so I sent them both to him so he can decide which one to publish tomorrow.

In other news, working with Google Drive is kind of awful. I do not want to wait five seconds just to see what I wrote show up on screen. <:mad:>

dipple
Oct 22, 2008
When Meng Hao first became a muscle wizard maintaining that state was eating years off his lifespan for every breathe he had it activated, but now he's just running it 24/7. Did I miss a paragraph that mentioned solving that issue? Or was it just an unmentioned side effect of all the upgrades he got in the last arc.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I think it was a hand-wavey "and he has pills that extend his longevity so no problem after all". It's kind of stupid that the author would introduce that gimmick as a drawback to his strength and then never have it come into play at all, so maybe it'll be relevant in the future.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

dipple posted:

When Meng Hao first became a muscle wizard maintaining that state was eating years off his lifespan for every breathe he had it activated, but now he's just running it 24/7. Did I miss a paragraph that mentioned solving that issue? Or was it just an unmentioned side effect of all the upgrades he got in the last arc.

The Kaio-Ken x9 9th Anima still kicks his rear end if it's used for more than a split-second, you might be thinking of the fleshly body stuff which is just being Real Strong with no drawbacks. He did pop a couple longevity pills somewhere in there though.

Silynt posted:

I think it was a hand-wavey "and he has pills that extend his longevity so no problem after all". It's kind of stupid that the author would introduce that gimmick as a drawback to his strength and then never have it come into play at all, so maybe it'll be relevant in the future.

To be fair he HAS picked up a few of those pills during his adventures. It's still kind of an rear end-pull but if it leads to further shenanigans I'll allow it.

EDIT: also rampant speculation: I'm wondering if the Time Swords he buried are the Immortal Murdering Swords he has now, the numbers add up(4+1 copy) and that's the kind of ridiculous karmic ~destiny~ that Meng Hao lives by.

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 11, 2016

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011
Meng Hao would certainly be proper hosed if he ever runs into someone else with time swords or magics that accelerate ageing while his 'natural' lifespan is sitting at a week or whatever it is now.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dipple posted:

Having not read this web novel, does it work like "multiplies your strength by eating away time from your lifespan"? When I was teenager I would sort of "play with mental action figures" and daydream these scenarios where people with different superpowers would fight, and I remember that one I liked a lot was "the ability to increase strength by eating away a proportional amount off the end of a person's lifespan." For example, if a person took a day off of their lifespan by activating the power for an hour, they would gain a 24x strength increase (or even more ridiculously, if they activated it over just a minute it would be a 1440x strength increase). Or if they had it activated constantly they could always have 2x strength at the cost of halving their remaining lifespan (though this would be a really dumb way to use it).

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Lifespan To Power is like the most common shonen powerup around. It's a quick way to give someone power for a harsh but not immediately relevant to the next fight price.

Also in the end both versions of the scripts were published. Mine was labeled the "unnecessary edit version" (I wonder what a necessary edit would be :v:), but people seem to like it well enough.

quote:

Thank you for the non-americanized version! I wish this was the standard.

This comment made me laugh.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Having not read this web novel, does it work like "multiplies your strength by eating away time from your lifespan"? When I was teenager I would sort of "play with mental action figures" and daydream these scenarios where people with different superpowers would fight, and I remember that one I liked a lot was "the ability to increase strength by eating away a proportional amount off the end of a person's lifespan." For example, if a person took a day off of their lifespan by activating the power for an hour, they would gain a 24x strength increase (or even more ridiculously, if they activated it over just a minute it would be a 1440x strength increase). Or if they had it activated constantly they could always have 2x strength at the cost of halving their remaining lifespan (though this would be a really dumb way to use it).

He has 9 animas, and using any of them past the first one doubles his aging. So 2x for second, 4x for third, all the way up to 256x. The actual physical aging doesn't really affect him at all, but he has a finite lifespan. He does have pills to increase his longevity, and he doesn't tend to use them for more than a few minutes at a time.

Basically it is a reason why he doesn't stay in ultimate swole mode all the time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

BlitzBlast posted:

Lifespan To Power is like the most common shonen powerup around. It's a quick way to give someone power for a harsh but not immediately relevant to the next fight price.

Also in the end both versions of the scripts were published. Mine was labeled the "unnecessary edit version" (I wonder what a necessary edit would be :v:), but people seem to like it well enough.

This comment made me laugh.

And goddamn, that is quite the "gently caress you". Quit immediately. They don't want your work, and their readers are mostly also fine with awkward machine translated garbage.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Silynt posted:

In order to maintain the 9th Anima, he has to dupe lots of medicinal pills.

In order to dupe medicinal pills, he has to spend spirit stones.

In order to "earn" more spirit stones, he has to con more people.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

And in order to con more strong people he has to maintain his 9th Anima.

It's concyclic.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Serious Frolicking posted:

And goddamn, that is quite the "gently caress you". Quit immediately. They don't want your work, and their readers are mostly also fine with awkward machine translated garbage.

I guess, but at least it still got published. I'd like it if more people would read KonoSuba, and the best way I can help with that is help edit the translations. v:shobon:v

Just for fun, I dumped the scripts into diff checker. I'd have compared it with the published version, but it looks like it took some bits from my script too so the difference wouldn't have been as hilariously stark.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
^Where did it get published sorry? I tried to read a translation of Konosuba the other week but couldn't get going and got rid of the link...

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The reader reactions are in: Aside from a resounding lack of comment,

quote:

I've grown attached to the usual versions. I don't know what's wrong with me.

quote:

I prefer the original.

When it gets localized too much it feels like things get lost in translation sometimes.

I tried. :rip:

A jargogle posted:

I tried to read a translation of Konosuba the other week but couldn't get going and got rid of the link...

There's no translation of KonoSuba on the net. There is some fanfiction though.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

If your work is going to get thrown off to the side by the people you're doing it for, don't do it. The fact that they published it as an "unnecessary edit version" is almost more insulting than if they'd just rejected it outright.

Your goal of trying to get more people reading is very laudable, but I don't think you'll accomplish much of that by working with this particular group of translators.

(Plus, if the number of people who read my Kumoko translation is any indication, the market for translations that aren't machine-TL'd garbage isn't very large.)

DeafAsianQT
Aug 9, 2013
I'm guessing that because the lifespan shortening is related to his number of nascent souls, and because hes been compressing them together, the effect of it on his lifespan also decreases as well

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Or more likely people read whatever translation has the most recent chapters out, and the quickest way to do that turns out worse translations. Thanks for doing honzuki though, it's one of the best things I'm reading right now

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
I for one like the translations that I don't need to mentally edit into something less stupid. Consider me one of the people who does actually appreciate what you're doing and would encourage you to keep doing it.

On a different subject, I've now reached the part where the Huyan Patriarch just made the worst mistake of his now much shorter life, and I can't help but hear the following: "Awaken, my mastiff!"

EDIT: And now Meng Hao's complaining about having his face in a beautiful woman's tits because it's blocking his view of the sky. :allears:

The Sandman fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 11, 2016

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

And then, after a long lull of nothing:

quote:

The second one flows better. The first one feels cluncky.

quote:

The second version, which was translated by an anon who volunteered, is clearly edited by a native English speaker. It actually seems around the level you would get from a professional translation in my opinion. The general flow of the English fits better.

quote:

Personally, I really like your version more than the standard one.

quote:

Sorry for the super late reply, but I liked your version far more than the other one.

As a native English speaker it was hard to read the normal version. The way the characters spoke didn't feel natural at all.

quote:

I like it enough I'd prefer yours enough to be my archival version until Yen Press stops after vol 1

quote:

Oh yeah anon, your version makes this chapter enjoyable.

quote:

Question, why is this called an "Unnecessary Edit"? From my perspective it seems really well done, and does what an edit should do, make the rough translation flow better in English. Just wondering since the wording gives off a negative impression.

Cheers to the translator and editor, and thanks for the chapter this week!

:unsmith:

I guess I'll keep going.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Dude, they put your version up so that everyone would say that their lovely version was better. That is not the act of a rational person. Now that they have been publicly contradicted, they won't apologize and admit their fault. Instead, they will start throwing a hissy fit. Unless you ditch right now, you will end up mired in dumb internet drama. Though I guess you might enjoy that kind of thing?

Congratulations on destroying a crappy translation group by being competent, though.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

To be honest, I think you're severely overestimating how much this translation group actually cares.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

The Sandman posted:

I for one like the translations that I don't need to mentally edit into something less stupid. Consider me one of the people who does actually appreciate what you're doing and would encourage you to keep doing it.

On a different subject, I've now reached the part where the Huyan Patriarch just made the worst mistake of his now much shorter life, and I can't help but hear the following: "Awaken, my mastiff!"

EDIT: And now Meng Hao's complaining about having his face in a beautiful woman's tits because it's blocking his view of the sky. :allears:

I was about to say that the upcoming two arcs are my favorites. But I realized that there isn't an arc in this story I don't consider a "favorite" in some way or other. ISSTH is going to be a very tough story for the author to top.

Kaptain
Oct 5, 2014

BlitzBlast posted:

And then, after a long lull of nothing:

:unsmith:

I guess I'll keep going.

I appreciate your work. If competent editing offends them, i say you should keep doing it out of spite.

Do you plan to edit the whole thing or just this volume?

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

WUB!

FriggenJ posted:

I was about to say that the upcoming two arcs are my favorites. But I realized that there isn't an arc in this story I don't consider a "favorite" in some way or other. ISSTH is going to be a very tough story for the author to top.

They were pretty good. To say the least.

I'm now at the part where Meng Hao reunites with his first intentional victim as he enters the Grand Line in search of One Piece. I should be caught up some time tomorrow.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

The Sandman posted:

They were pretty good. To say the least.

I'm now at the part where Meng Hao reunites with his first intentional victim as he enters the Grand Line in search of One Piece. I should be caught up some time tomorrow.

money

don't give it up meng hao

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I keep seeing ln's which reach new lows in terms of their protagonists. They can't figure out how to write a guy with anything vaguely like talent or effort, so instead their magical advantage is something incredibly mundane. I've seen owning a smartphone, being literate, being human (!!!), and now living in a house as paths to ultimate power.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I keep seeing ln's which reach new lows in terms of their protagonists. They can't figure out how to write a guy with anything vaguely like talent or effort, so instead their magical advantage is something incredibly mundane. I've seen owning a smartphone, being literate, being human (!!!), and now living in a house as paths to ultimate power.

If by "being literate" you're referring to Ascension of a Bookworm then I strongly disagree, that LN owns (well, to be fair so far it seems less like a "path to ultimate power" and more like "path to not hopefully not living in dire poverty at some undetermined point in the future").

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

If by "being literate" you're referring to Ascension of a Bookworm then I strongly disagree, that LN owns (well, to be fair so far it seems less like a "path to ultimate power" and more like "path to not hopefully not living in dire poverty at some undetermined point in the future").

No, I mean some ln where a guy goes to a fantasy world, fails miserably at being an adventurer but then essentially ends up in charge because he can read and write.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Oh god, here it is: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/kokugensou-wo-item-cheat-de-ikinuku/

That description is even worse than I remembered. I mean really, "volunteer army from slaves"?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Ytlaya posted:

Reading a lot of books is also literally Maine's least applicable setting advantage right now, since she's accomplished literally zero of her complicated plans. Instead, she's used her modern knowledge to make pancakes, weave baskets, and check someone's arithmetic. The most educated thing she's done was introduce a method for further purifying animal tallow to make less-stinky candles.

Maine is the worst protagonist and it's so refreshing to read this kind of story.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Oh god, here it is: http://www.novelupdates.com/series/kokugensou-wo-item-cheat-de-ikinuku/

That description is even worse than I remembered. I mean really, "volunteer army from slaves"?

It's kind of important to remember that all of these retarded titles originate from Narou, a web portal with nearly 400,000 "novels" vying for readers' attention. Since everything is free and readily available, you need to get your baby up on the daily/weekly/monthly ranking for people to notice you, and the best way to do that is obviously to stand out with some new gimmick. And it helps if the hook is clear from seeing the title alone.

There's just so incredibly much poo poo out there that being "unique" is more important than writing well or coming up with interesting characters. Eventually budding authors will have tried literally everything they can think of in an "another world" setting. Why? Because it's the only thing people seem to want to read.

The latest title to make a stir was Ore no heya goto isekai e! Netto to Amozon no chikara de musou suru (My entire room went into another world! Owning everyone with the power of the internet and Amozon), which managed to get itself banned by the admins somehow, but first got tons of news blogs posting about it at least.

Really, the proper question is to ask why translators are so deranged, picking these particular projects.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

"Eventually he started up a company with slave girls as employees and selling soap and crepes."

lmao

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

darkgray posted:

Ore no heya goto isekai e! Netto to Amozon no chikara de musou suru (My entire room went into another world! Owning everyone with the power of the internet and Amozon)

Wow.

Okay. I'm going to write something now, titled (A fantasy world, but I have access to forums.somethingawful.com. Gooning over RPG elements for world take-over!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

What was the name of that one where the NEET, his dog, and his entire house got sucked into an alternate world, but he still had utilities and Internet access so he documented his journey on 2ch? I kinda liked that one, but forgot entirely about it until just now.

• Locked thread