Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

A Sometimes Food posted:

Romancing Shane and giving him at least something beyond alcoholism, deadend Walmart labour (or unemployment and MORE alcoholism) and depression is confirmed as something he's adding though. So that's cool. Linus is also apparently being looked at.... which I am morbidly curious about.

I bet Linus is a hunk under all that beard :allears:

Romancing Shane seems like a good idea as well, he's like the boy version of Penny but you can actually save Penny from her crappy deadend life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It looks like your spouse dictates your child's hair color.

In the top image, it specifically says that's Wayne's kid and you can see in the screenshot he has bright yellow hair. But in the bottom, you can see him at the table and his hair is pale like (his mother) Lishette's. In the screenshot beside that you can see the girl has bright yellow hair like Wayne, who is sitting at the table too.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
It scares me that I've sunk like 70 hours into Story of Seasons and still haven't hit Summer 2. It's okay because every day is so goddamn packed, but I do worry that I'll never actually see any of the cool stuff that shows in year 4.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

http://nintendoeverything.com/story-of-seasons-good-friends-of-three-villages-details-characters-events-facilities/

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Welp, wife choice is handled I think

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Blhue posted:

Forever alone because you're still playing anime farming games that are no longer even about farming?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

No gay, no buy.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Blhue posted:

So I assume two of those squiggles say "tsun" and "dere", then?

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

That'd be four squiggles :science:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I played one of the Harvest Moons, once, i think. My field was full of rocks, and I could only bust like 5 rocks a day before i got too tired. I spent a week in-game time busting rocks and decided I didn't need to keep playing

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
That doesn't sound too different from my experience with real life yardwork.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Like harvest moon some people like yardwork and some don't.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

boom boom boom posted:

I played one of the Harvest Moons, once, i think. My field was full of rocks, and I could only bust like 5 rocks a day before i got too tired. I spent a week in-game time busting rocks and decided I didn't need to keep playing

A waste of rocks you could have used as cheap fences for your chickens

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Allarion posted:

A waste of rocks you could have used as cheap fences for your chickens

I didn't have any Chickens. I think I had a horse, which I brushed every day. To no noticeable benefit

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

boom boom boom posted:

I didn't have any Chickens. I think I had a horse, which I brushed every day. To no noticeable benefit

Trolling for your weekly probation in such an obscure thread?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gibbo posted:

Forever alone because you're still playing anime farming games that are no longer even about farming?

wow uh rude

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
If you take the farming out of an anime farming game, you're left with an anime game. Which is still pretty good.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm thinking of pulling out fomt again and playing through minmaxing/powergaming and trying to get married as fast as possible. It's not really something I've done so I'm curious about how it will play out, since it wouldn't be as easy to do as say, magical melody where you can have the biggest house by the end of spring.

I'm just thinking it through and mostly wondering, would it be better to go with crops or cows, for the most part? The last time I played I did what I sort of do in every hm game, mainly farm crops that regrow and have a couple chickens handy in case anyone likes eggs. I'm not sure what's more profitable, and what breakpoints I'd have to hit for the fully upgraded house ASAP.

I know I'll definitely need chickens though, since I'm probably going to marry Ann like I normally do.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Crops, hands down. Quicker return on investment and smaller initial investment (~200 vs 5000 for a cow that only produces 100g milk after a couple weeks). Aim for cabbages from Won when you can spare the cash and you're still in the first half of Spring, otherwise go Turnips. Once Summer hits you want to drop as much cash into Pineapples from Won, be poor for 21 days and then reap tons of cash afterward every 4 days. Then obviously Sweet Potatoes during the Fall.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tyty posted:

I'm thinking of pulling out fomt again and playing through minmaxing/powergaming and trying to get married as fast as possible. It's not really something I've done so I'm curious about how it will play out, since it wouldn't be as easy to do as say, magical melody where you can have the biggest house by the end of spring.

I'm just thinking it through and mostly wondering, would it be better to go with crops or cows, for the most part? The last time I played I did what I sort of do in every hm game, mainly farm crops that regrow and have a couple chickens handy in case anyone likes eggs. I'm not sure what's more profitable, and what breakpoints I'd have to hit for the fully upgraded house ASAP.

I know I'll definitely need chickens though, since I'm probably going to marry Ann like I normally do.

Mining and eggs is what I usually do. Fishing during festivals is another big profit maker if you get the basket and bring it with you. Spa boil your small eggs for more profit!

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 15, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Another tip for MinMaxing FoMT, confess to the priest about littering/how everyone hates you and your friendship points will go up.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Allarion posted:

Another tip for MinMaxing FoMT, confess to the priest about littering/how everyone hates you and your friendship points will go up.

I love how people are talking about minmaxing FoMT and nobody has even mentioned that you can work the sprites up to max friendship using flour for relatively cheap, and as long as you do their lovely minigames at the start you can get them to functional watering/harvesting relatively quickly.

Allarion posted:

Mining and eggs is what I usually do. Fishing during festivals is another big profit maker if you get the basket and bring it with you. Spa boil your small eggs for more profit!

The mines are not a very good return on stamina for actual profit (unless you want to save scum until your inventory is only full of oricalchum, and even then it's not great). Spa Boiling your eggs is not time efficient once you factor in actually having to feed your drat chickens and the fact that it takes a second or two per egg, and you have to run all the way to the spring for a small extra benefit.

The cycle for quick marriage is basically crops, gift girl, chop all wood available, play your gnome games. It's been quite a number of years since I've last touched fomt, but the actual wood available per day is one of the big limiters for early anything.

E: Multiple edits for inability to type or English.

Gibbo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 16, 2016

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Man, exploiting the sprites early on in FoMT is great. I remember being really annoyed with the task scheduling system though.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/story-seasons-good-friends-three-villages-second-trailer-more-marriage-candidates-introduced

Another trailer. Also one of the comments says that inari is a candidate for both genders, which is pretty cool.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So Rune Factory 4 is my first ever "Harvest Moon" type game, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I read the guide on page 100, but are there any early / niche tips I should have that may be common sense to regulars for this genre?

Squats
Nov 4, 2009

Watch your RP bar. Once it bottoms out, anything you do will take huge chunks out of your HP instead. Also, you can't see your RP bar in the crafting menus, but all those pancakes you're making are still draining your bar.

Sometimes I make 20 pancakes, then immediately pass out once I close the crafting menu. :v:

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

Rune Factory 4 is a good one to play as a series entry I'd say. Just playing naturally and having fun would make it a much better experience than knowing exactly what do be doing and then running into timed event walls because you scaled up too quickly.

Other than that, make friends with people? Also vary your schedule every now and then. If you have the exact same routine day in day out, you'll miss a ton of events.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Turtlicious posted:

So Rune Factory 4 is my first ever "Harvest Moon" type game, so I have no idea what I'm doing. I read the guide on page 100, but are there any early / niche tips I should have that may be common sense to regulars for this genre?

Only the first gift you give someone each day and the first time you talk to them each day count for their affection level.

You can walk on top of most crops with no problem (I think trees and maybe some fully-ripe crops are the only exceptions) in RF4, but that wasn't true in a lot of the older games.

Whenever you find a new kind of ore (copper, silver, gold, etc) you can use it to upgrade your basic farming tools. Upgrading your hammer is not nearly as important as it was in some of the other games, so I tend to prioritize my watering can. Once you upgrade a farming tool, you can hold the button down to cover a wider area, and the first upgrade for the hoe, sickle, hammer, and axe will allow you to more or less do a 1-2-3 combo by tapping the button.

You'll need fodder to feed your animals, but in RF4 they use a weird amount of fodder each day (as in less than 1 per day if they aren't being put to work in your fields). I think the request box will tell you about that once it's available, though.

It's a good idea to get into the habit of finding a place where stumps/sticks and rocks respawn every day. I like the area west of the Obsidian Mansion, and I usually leave a few of the fields completely undeveloped for the same purpose, as a field that hasn't been tilled will generate random crap, including stumps and rocks. You'll need quite a bit of wood and stone to upgrade your house.

The fields you find outside of the town will have the same season all year long, so you can plant season-specific crops on them any time you want.

To learn new recipes, you need a high enough forging skill as well as a high enough skill in whatever you're trying to forge; so if you can't get new recipes out of weapon bread despite having a pretty high forging level, you might need to level up your weapon skills. Luckily, recipe bread isn't wasted in RF4 if you try to eat it but can't learn anything.

The hot spring might seem expensive early on, but once you start getting to higher amounts of HP and RP it's a really good deal. Luckily, you get to use it a few times for free to help you with the early game.

I don't think there's a huge penalty for missing sleep in RF4; I believe it will always put you at the next 6 AM with full HP and RP, compared to older games where you ran the risk of waking up late or getting sick. But you still probably want to sleep even if you've got the resources not to, as Sleeping is a skill you can level up.

Bachelors and bachelorettes don't get jealous if you give gifts to other people, so don't feel like you need to pick one early on. This might change after marriage; I'm not sure.

You can hold up to 9 units of the same item above your head, and if there's a bunch on the ground you can just keep tapping A to pick them up. Be careful not to accidentally throw a bunch of weeds at your girlfriend, though.

If you get to a new dungeon and discover that you're only doing 1 damage, it's time to upgrade your equipment.

Giant Boy Detective posted:

Also, you can't see your RP bar in the crafting menus, but all those pancakes you're making are still draining your bar.

I believe your HP and RP bars are visible on the top screen while crafting, at least in RF4.

That's about all I can think of for things I only know because I've been playing Harvest Moon since the 90s. Feel free to ask us if you have any more questions.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Linnaeus posted:

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/story-seasons-good-friends-three-villages-second-trailer-more-marriage-candidates-introduced

Another trailer. Also one of the comments says that inari is a candidate for both genders, which is pretty cool.

Would this be them reacting to Stardew Valley however slowly in trying to dip their toes into gay or bi characters? Even a "opposite gender of the player" is something rather than nothing.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Crabtree posted:

Would this be them reacting to Stardew Valley however slowly in trying to dip their toes into gay or bi characters? Even a "opposite gender of the player" is something rather than nothing.

It's been done before, in Magical Melody for GC, where Jaimie can be married by both genders

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have a request to fish for Pike, but all I can find is Trout, Squid and Carps. Are pike's in a special area?

E: Found them! You just have to keep fishing.

E2: Uh, I started playing hours ago, where the hell is all of my time going!?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 05:39 on May 21, 2016

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turtlicious posted:

E2: Uh, I started playing hours ago, where the hell is all of my time going!?

The Harvest Moon experience

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Harvest Moon is more realistic than I thought. This year I gave my wife (also a fan of the games) a turnip for her birthday and she thought it was just about the funniest thing. Thank god I didn't have to go mining for a present.

Allarion posted:

The Harvest Moon experience
Yeah, for real. HM can get away from you pretty easily. I gotta say though, I'm a little wary of the new Story of Seasons. I still have to play the first one for more than a few hours, but I've put so much time into RF4 and (to a lesser extent) Stardew that I'm afraid the more classic SoS franchise may not grab me as much anymore since HM games generally lack the gameplay of the former and the writing and quality of life improvements of the latter.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Meldonox posted:

Harvest Moon is more realistic than I thought. This year I gave my wife (also a fan of the games) a turnip for her birthday and she thought it was just about the funniest thing.
I seriously hope you gave your wife more than just a turnip.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I looked up a guide to see how to get better tools, and I realized I need way better forging skill for more farming implements.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can I take anyone besides Forte with me in a party? She seems to be the only one down for some monster slaying, but she only does like 3 damage in Black Mansion.

E: Well that was a surprisingly dark turn out of nowhere. What the hell!?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 21, 2016

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Turtlicious posted:

Can I take anyone besides Forte with me in a party? She seems to be the only one down for some monster slaying, but she only does like 3 damage in Black Mansion.

Other people will go with you once you get their friendship up, she's the only one you can take till then (besides tamed monsters)

Also you can upgrade her gear by giving her stuff you want her to use

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

IAmTheRad posted:

I seriously hope you gave your wife more than just a turnip.

Oh yeah of course. Jesus Christ, I wouldn't want to risk missing my next heart event.

That was just the first and most prominently displayed thing when she got home that day.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Where the hell is dylas I thought he worked as a Walter at porcolines. I need to give him sashimi so I can get this dumb friendship request. Stop hiding you horsey gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

Where the hell is dylas I thought he worked as a Walter at porcolines. I need to give him sashimi so I can get this dumb friendship request. Stop hiding you horsey gently caress.

He also likes to go fishing, so check the lake on the west side of town or the little docks on the river through town.

Linnaeus posted:

Huh was that in the trailer or just someone making poo poo up?

• Locked thread