Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

CharlestheHammer posted:

What happened to Peter.

Whole point of omega was him leaving and not getting involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I know but he can come back. I always assumed that was point.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Animalia's still kickin', right?
She'd better be.

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.
So I just started getting into Valiant. Read a bit of Bloodshot, XO, and Harbinger. So far so good. But is there one book in particular I should be reading over the others?

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

So I just started getting into Valiant. Read a bit of Bloodshot, XO, and Harbinger. So far so good. But is there one book in particular I should be reading over the others?

The only one to avoid is Shadowman, otherwise all of Valiant's books are really strong and it largely depends on your personal taste. Divinity and Dr. Mirage (the first one) are to my mind the best ones though, and both are largely self-contained 4-issue stories (Divinity crosses over with Unity, but you only need to know that they are the Avengers of Valiant).

e: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak and Imperium are the best ongoings imo, but they all really benefit from having read Bloodshot, Unity and Harbingers respectively.

Foul Fowl fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 26, 2016

B_of_InfoRedux
Oct 6, 2015

WANT A MELTDOWN? KEEP READING FROM YOUR MOTHERS BASEMENTS WHILE YOU BEAT YOUR TINY DICK SECRETLY THINKING OF SANDI YOU HYPOCRITICAL PIECES OF HUMAN GARBAGE.

Foul Fowl posted:

The only one to avoid is Shadowman, otherwise all of Valiant's books are really strong and it largely depends on your personal taste. Divinity and Dr. Mirage (the first one) are to my mind the best ones though, and both are largely self-contained 4-issue stories (Divinity crosses over with Unity, but you only need to know that they are the Avengers of Valiant).

e: Bloodshot Reborn, Ninjak and Imperium are the best ongoings imo, but they all really benefit from having read Bloodshot, Unity and Harbingers respectively.

Yeah, I tried Shadowman and just couldn't do it. Ninjak all have to check out for sure. Looking at Archer and Armstrong too. So many to choose from. Not a complaint though. So far what I've read, with small exception, has been solid. Valiant is doing a good job world building.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

B_of_InfoRedux posted:

Yeah, I tried Shadowman and just couldn't do it. Ninjak all have to check out for sure. Looking at Archer and Armstrong too. So many to choose from. Not a complaint though. So far what I've read, with small exception, has been solid. Valiant is doing a good job world building.

If you read Marvels's Hercules and loved that then Armstrong and Archer is for you. It's a great funny book

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
If you really need to know what happens in Shadowman, listen to the album Tales from the Deadside by A Sound of Thunder, and read the lyrics.

The best Shadowman books from that were Shadowman 0 and whichever followed that... I am think 10. They go over the background of Master Darque, who pops up all over the place.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just finished the Harbinger Vol. 1 trade and I got to say I really really really liked it. At first I thought it was going to much in an X-Men direction but the ending really sold me on the title.
So I figure all the Harbinger stuff takes place before Bloodshot Reborn. Is Valiant a very interconnected universe?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

Just finished the Harbinger Vol. 1 trade and I got to say I really really really liked it. At first I thought it was going to much in an X-Men direction but the ending really sold me on the title.
So I figure all the Harbinger stuff takes place before Bloodshot Reborn. Is Valiant a very interconnected universe?

Yes. Lots of things build off each other. There are a couple of crossovers before bloodshot reborn. There is the Harbringer war which Bloodshot is involved with. Then there is armorr war which is awesome. Then their is the series Valiant which leads to Bloodshot reborn. Those are the official crossovers, but you have little ones like major characters being introduced in Archer and Armstrong & X-O Manowar, and the eventual creation of the Unity team.

On another note I am thinking of getting a new avatar of Archer saying Son of a lady dg, but cant think of any text.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes. Lots of things build off each other.

While I generally have been enjoying Imperium, a problem I have with the series is that it lacks any meaningful connection to the Valiant universe at large. Harada has literally taken over Somalia and is re-writing contemporary geopolitics, and nobody else from the Valiant universe seems to have noticed.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.
It looks like that Generation Zero comic is a go: https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/725189230390038528

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I love how Livewire makes friends with all the killer robots!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hmm, lots of teases it seems.

EDIT: Man, Bleeding Cool has a bunch of these.

X-O fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 4, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

X-O posted:

Hmm, lots of teases it seems.

Those guys are hosed once Obelix shows up.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Wow that's cool. Looking forward to what ever they are!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy crap, I thought they were bullshitting me about PsiLords.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yesssssssss! Van Lente is back!

This series sounds awesome: http://io9.gizmodo.com/meet-valiant-comics-mysterious-new-hero-and-her-sentien-1774941580

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

4001AD still going strong! :dance:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Shitshow posted:

While I generally have been enjoying Imperium, a problem I have with the series is that it lacks any meaningful connection to the Valiant universe at large. Harada has literally taken over Somalia and is re-writing contemporary geopolitics, and nobody else from the Valiant universe seems to have noticed.

yeah i agree with this. imperium is great overall and is quite tight with some cool moments.

i'm probably underselling that: i like imperium more than any other shared universe comic i can remember reading since wildstorm died however it feels weirdly abstracted given how tightly bound valiant has felt to date.

i'm sure peter will be back. he's young and growing up; he went from being an rear end in a top hat to trying to stand up and fight and righting a couple of injustices but not really being able to find his way properly and now he's just convalescing (morally at this point, since he's well and truly physically healed by now). i have been wondering how predictive end of harbinger is meant to be; that shows harada winding up as world ruler (or at least ruler of a major part of the earth) for a long time.. it's also really really good.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Anyone else hyped for the Valiant Summit this afternoon?
*has a seat at front of the internet, waves tiny flag*

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I am. I got all caught up over the weekend. I read Rai and some XO I had fell behind on. I need Bloodshot and Harbinger to go on sale.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Live streaming. A second volume of Harbinger and a first of Generation Zero, please. :pray:

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well they said they're announcing seven new titles, so I'd guess so.

EDIT: Van Lente! He's my favorite!

He's doing Generation Zero!

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

X-O posted:

Well they said they're announcing seven new titles, so I'd guess so.

EDIT: Van Lente! He's my favorite!

He's doing Generation Zero!

YES!

edit and quote: "Van Lente worked with Josh Dysart in developing the series, the other writer of course was primary on the Harbinger Wars story. There’s a mother, with a fetus that’s a psiot, a “superfetus who is running her mother. That’s the exciting new member of Generation Zero,” Van Lente said with a laugh."

Shitshow fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 17, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Welp stream died.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Britannia is a period book about a Roman Centurion by Peter Milligan. It sounds awesome, but Peter Milligan is not really an inspiring choice. It's a four issue prestige format mini.

EDIT: Bloodshot USA self contained event in October by Lemire. It's a team of Bloodshots from Bloodshot Island going to New York to save them from a nanite infection that has been released. Sounds amazing.

Next up is Savage, by B. Clay Moore about a 16 year old dinosaur hunter who is not Turok. Lewis Larosa from the recent Analog Man arc on Bloodshot is the artist. So needless to say the art looks amazing.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 17, 2016

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I am nearly done volume 2 of the Harbinger trade and I see that Harbinger War and Harbinger volume three: Harbinger War are the next trades and I am wondering if I need both, or if I get one without the other I will be lost, or if they must be read concurrently (ie issue 1 followed by issue 1 followed by issue 2 followed by issue 2 etc). I generally find crossovers to be underwhelming because of the glut involved, but is Harbinger War worth it?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Next is Harbinger Renegades by Rafer Roberts, who has been killing it on A&A!

Madkal posted:

I am nearly done volume 2 of the Harbinger trade and I see that Harbinger War and Harbinger volume three: Harbinger War are the next trades and I am wondering if I need both, or if I get one without the other I will be lost, or if they must be read concurrently (ie issue 1 followed by issue 1 followed by issue 2 followed by issue 2 etc). I generally find crossovers to be underwhelming because of the glut involved, but is Harbinger War worth it?

Harbinger War is fantastic and needs to be read. There's no such thing as glut in Valiant crossovers.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

Madkal posted:

Yeah, Harbinger War is worth it. I believe there was a Bloodshot tie-in, as well (?), but I don't remember enjoying it very much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Divinity III: Stalinverse by Matt Kindt in December. I cannot wait. Divinity and Divinity II have been among my favorite stuff in Valiant.

The entire planet is re-made and features Communist versions of all the Valiant characters.

X-O fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 17, 2016

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I'm down for Divinity: Red Son.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here are all seven of the announced titles

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Valiant is brilliantly hitting the sweet spot between the Big Two's "here's a bunch of familiar characters with a twist/progression" and everyone else's "here're some sweet new books from talented creators" (your milligan may vary)

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh god Divinity Red Son looks amazing I want in.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Variant Comics has a video up of footage from the Summit plus interviews.

It's so fun watching Dinesh pitch books, whether live or on camera. You can tell he cares about the quality of the books from listening to the pace of his speech speed up as he describes a premise or how he covers all the different angles of a title in one long run-on sentence. If there's a cynical bone in his body, he mustn't let on until he's at home or something.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

So that's livewire in harbingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Space Fish posted:

Variant Comics has a video up of footage from the Summit plus interviews.

It's so fun watching Dinesh pitch books, whether live or on camera. You can tell he cares about the quality of the books from listening to the pace of his speech speed up as he describes a premise or how he covers all the different angles of a title in one long run-on sentence. If there's a cynical bone in his body, he mustn't let on until he's at home or something.

There's a picture of Dinesh when he was like 10 years old with a Valiant birthday cake. He's nothing if not genuine in his absolute love of the properties he's working on. And when you read about the process and how long it took him to actually get the company and the rights to the properties you'll understand that only someone that absolutely loves these characters would have bothered. It would make a hell of a documentary film just how he got the company.

EDIT: Check out this article, it even has the picture of Dinesh I was referring to above

http://www.laweekly.com/arts/valian...company-2371115

X-O fucked around with this message at 01:44 on May 20, 2016