Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tallgeese posted:

Okay, enough of this poise nonsense. I'll take a look at it.

What effects are known to grant "poise" and actually work? I'll simply see what they do to the character.

The Perseverance weapon art is one thing, maybe the Unfaltering Prayer weapon art on talismans, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

BillmasterCozb posted:

so pvp is just going to remain poo poo forever? ive wasted a hundred and forty four hours of my life

edit: actually its a hundred and fourty one. someone please suggest me things to make in the character creator

Walter White. Use only Crystal Magic spells.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

I think only Perseverance, Unfaltering Prayer, Stomp, Iron Flesh, and great weapon hyper armor grants poise, and several of those probably don't even work the same as each other.

that sounds about right, and yeah I think hyper armor is different at least.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tallgeese posted:

What effects are known to grant "poise" and actually work? I'll simply see what they do to the character.

Iron Flesh

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Obviously nitpicking, but the poise demonstration video has the dagger hollows in the first area being referred to as the weakest enemies in the game. Is that actually correct, or are the weakest enemies the baby crabs or something else?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Atreiden posted:

that sounds about right, and yeah I think hyper armor is different at least.

My guess is that the weapon art stuff is literally EnablePlayerPoise=1, maybe with some extra points of poise on top.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Since Aldritch faithful has no consequences, I'm steadily slippping into sillier builds. Currently running around as a full dragon with a buckler and roll ring.

Bumped into the same dragon faithful buddy twice so far, they were rocking the NK halberd. We tore poo poo up.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I continuing the game grumps playthough and after Wolnir they decided to go with the holy sword, rather than black fire snake, despite having started as pyromancer. Also he has no idea what burning bone shards does, and he still has two or three estus set as blue despite never using weapon arts or spells :11tea: He also swapped out his dark sword, which he called "loving awesome" for Wolnirs and now its taking him longer to kill poo poo. I love it. Hes so terrible

Also Arin missed the fire tome in the swamp and is now in Irithyll and still using fireball :v:

Spooky Bear Ghost fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 11, 2016

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I continuing the game grumps playthough and after Wolnir they decided to go with the holy sword, rather than black fire snake, despite having started as pyromancer. Also he has no idea what burning bone shards does, and he still has two or three estus set as blue despite never using weapon arts or spells :11tea:

Hey, it could be the Best Friends LP where Pat ground up to SL60+ before the Cathedral and keeps complaining that everything is too easy. Also where he keeps pretending it's a blind LP even though it's painfully obvious he's looked things up beforehand.

Moral of the story: don't watch big-name Youtubers even out of curiosity

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Alabaster White posted:

My guess is that the weapon art stuff is literally EnablePlayerPoise=1, maybe with some extra points of poise on top.

At this point, that wouldn't surprise me

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I continuing the game grumps playthough and after Wolnir they decided to go with the holy sword, rather than black fire snake, despite having started as pyromancer. Also he has no idea what burning bone shards does, and he still has two or three estus set as blue despite never using weapon arts or spells :11tea:

Also Arin missed the fire tome in the swamp and is now in Irithyll and still using fireball :v:

My friend used Wolnir's through the whole game. He admitted it's garbage but he used it because it looks cool and I can respect that.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

so pvp is just going to remain poo poo forever? ive wasted a hundred and forty four hours of my life

edit: actually its a hundred and fourty one. someone please suggest me things to make in the character creator

smough's leggings, winged knight helmet, dual wield whips. "Whitey"

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

IIRC it doesn't use the player's poise value and works the same regardless.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

argondamn posted:

It was actually already known that if you have zero poise you have no hyper armor and above zero poise you do, but that still pretty much counts as "poise does nothing" because nobody is walking around with zero poise.

Except for the poor schmucks trying to use the dragon stones.

Based on the gear I've collected, only a very select few items actually have 0 poise to them, and I couldn't find any pants in my inventory that actually had 0. The lowest was the Skirt of Prayer at 0.1. You'd REALLY have to go out of your way to run around with 0 poise while still wearing armor in order to avoid the damage penalty you take for having exposed slots.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I continuing the game grumps playthough and after Wolnir they decided to go with the holy sword, rather than black fire snake, despite having started as pyromancer. Also he has no idea what burning bone shards does, and he still has two or three estus set as blue despite never using weapon arts or spells :11tea: He also swapped out his dark sword, which he called "loving awesome" for Wolnirs and now its taking him longer to kill poo poo. I love it. Hes so terrible

Is Game Grumps funny/entertaining, seeking replacement for the hole left by Ds Nutz.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

turtlecrunch posted:

Is Game Grumps funny, seeking replacement for the hole left by Ds Nutz.

its an acquired taste, I like them, but they can easily come off as super annoying to some people

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

Hey, it could be the Best Friends LP where Pat ground up to SL60+ before the Cathedral and keeps complaining that everything is too easy. Also where he keeps pretending it's a blind LP even though it's painfully obvious he's looked things up beforehand.

Moral of the story: don't watch big-name Youtubers even out of curiosity

Can't stand Best Friends because of this guy. I only watched a few episodes of their Bloodborne LP but he's basically a spergy forum post personified.

Good DS3 LPs right now: Northernlion, Kay, Zemalf

turtlecrunch posted:

Is Game Grumps funny/entertaining, seeking replacement for the hole left by Ds Nutz.

Watch some of their one-offs to get a feel for their schtick before tackling an LP of a game like BB or DS3. I think they're funny anyway.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Northernlion did the same thing on his pyromancer. He finally got Great Chaos Fire Orb later... and hasn't bought it yet. He thinks pyromancy is bad as a result.

I don't know why I watch blind playthroughs of Souls games. I already know I don't like blind LPs in general--I tend to prefer when the LPer knows what they're doing and I can learn a thing or two or just watch someone be good at a game--but with Souls games I can't help myself. They make good background noise while I'm at work I guess. And I'm at least "mature" enough to keep my annoyance to myself.

Deified Data posted:

Can't stand Best Friends because of this guy. I only watched a few episodes of their Bloodborne LP but he's basically a spergy forum post personified.

Good DS3 LPs right now: Northernlion, Kay, Zemalf

EpicNameBro's DS3 LP is getting good. He got over his early disappointment with the DS1 callbacks now that he reached AL and he seems super impressed and excited by everything now. It's kind of fun to watch him have fun. He's at Profaned Capital right now.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Here's a relevant link to reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4h15b4/for_those_who_still_think_poise_has_an_effect/

quote:

Unfaltering Prayer

Some more testing and I can conclude that the talisman skill, Unfaltering Prayer, allows me to tank through a single hit, but it doesn't increase when I switch armor poise from between 0 (nothing worn) to 61.23 (Winged Knight set and Yhorm's Shield). Tested against the most basic hollows by having them mob me with their broken swords, and I tested again with a mob of Lothric knights.

Using Wrath of the Gods, I was able to tank through any one hit until the end of the skill. At the start, after a seconds passed, and right as the skill goes off. If I take a second hit at any point during the use of Unfaltering Prayer, I am instantly staggered, regardless of damage source.

Edit: Okay, tested other talismans that weren't the Canvas Talisman. Sunlight Talisman's Unfaltering Prayer makes you completely unbreakable for the entire duration of Wrath of the Gods's casting animation, regardless of poise and equip load. Went ahead and tested Saint's Talisman's Unfaltering Praye-- HAH THAT ONE IS USELESS.

Perseverence

The Perseverance skill prevents stagger regardless of enemy until the animation completes. It made no difference what armor set I wore, just as above. Tested against multiple Basic Hollows and Lothric Knights (remember, I'm intentionally drawing groups together to rapidly attack during animations).

Iron Flesh

Using Iron Flesh, I was able to receive attacks for the entire duration of the skill at 0 Poise with absolutely nothing equipped, save for the Pyromancy flame. Despite my efforts, I was unable to force myself staggered. Rather than Poise, I believe this to be an inherent effect of Iron Flesh's ability intercepting attacks rather than using the conventional hitstun calculations.

Finally, I tested

Hyper Armor

Wearing nothing, I was unable to make it halfway through the leap of Smough's Greathammer's Two-Handed R2 when wearing nothing at 0 Poise. Next, I increased Poise back to just-above sixty using the Greatshield and Armor listed above. Strangely enough, I was able to power through the start of the animation. I decided to start removing gear gradually until it would stop working.

Then I realized something from a recent discovery. Rolling allows you to armor through the last few frames of an attack based on Equip Load percentage. Being a scientist with a theoretical degree in videogame physics, I had to take this data into account. I removed all my non-weapon gear and anything that gave a bonus Poise boost. I then maxed out my equip load to 100% by equipping the above hammer and having several Ultra Greatswords equipped to the secondary weapon slots.

The result: I was able to armor through the first moments of the leap animation at 0 Poise just as I did when I had 61 Poise, breaking 100% Equip Load for both armor tests.

Conclusion/TL;DR: Everything people are relating to poise is a placebo effect. The game grants armor frames based on how heavy you are.

I'd like to thank Juutas for pointing out the Equip Load/Rolling connection as it really helped in pulling this together.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Deified Data posted:

The best part is he's wrong about everything. Always. For someone so deeply invested in the series you'd think he'd understand any of its major tropes and components.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Obligatum VII posted:

Walter White. Use only Crystal Magic spells.

I couldn't get enough wrinkles on his face :smith:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

smough's leggings, winged knight helmet, dual wield whips. "Whitey"

In the character creator :v:

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 11, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Alright, some advice? Where do I take this character?

I could put more points into dex or vitality but that's kind of boring. Honestly I don't know what's an interesting direction to take it. Pyromancies are somewhat limited in pvp.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Alabaster White posted:

The best part is he's wrong about everything. Always. For someone so deeply invested in the series you'd think he'd understand any of its major tropes and components.

Yeah this is really the worst part. It's not that he's wrong - I was wrong about a lot of poo poo on my first playthrough. It's that he's so confident in his rightness and states it as immediate fact and disregards everything that contradicts his assumption out of hand. I couldn't handle more than a few episodes of this guy. Whoever he was playing with seemed cool, can't remember his name, wasn't very experienced, but i kept watching and hoping he'd just hand the controller off to the other guy and let him do his thing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Deified Data posted:

Yeah this is really the worst part. It's not that he's wrong - I was wrong about a lot of poo poo on my first playthrough. It's that he's so confident in his rightness and states it as immediate fact and disregards everything that contradicts his assumption out of hand. I couldn't handle more than a few episodes of this guy. Whoever he was playing with seemed cool, can't remember his name, wasn't very experienced, but i kept watching and hoping he'd just hand the controller off to the other guy and let him do his thing.

He's playing with both Matt and Woolie.

Sadly, it's Pat in the driver seat for the whole playthrough, which kinda sucks as in Bloodborne Pat and Woolie alternated at deaths which made for interesting watching as they have two different styles to playing Souls games.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

double nine posted:

I could put more points into dex or vitality but that's kind of boring. Honestly I don't know what's an interesting direction to take it. Pyromancies are somewhat limited in pvp.

Put all your points in vigor.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

double nine posted:

you should at least take vigor to 27. Higher if you want to do lvl 120 pvp. and raise endurance to at least 20

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
What's the best way to fix "failed to join session" errors on xbox one? I finally joined the darkmoon covenant just now and I've been summoned 5 times and it's failed every time. Maybe this is why I've never been invaded? Googling it comes up with lots of people complaining about From's netcode. I tried quitting my session but that didn't help. My NAT Type is moderate, all services available.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Seriously is it just me or have other Xbox players not been able to summon since basically day 1?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

null posted:

What's the best way to fix "failed to join session" errors on xbox one? I finally joined the darkmoon covenant just now and I've been summoned 5 times and it's failed every time. Maybe this is why I've never been invaded? Googling it comes up with lots of people complaining about From's netcode. I tried quitting my session but that didn't help. My NAT Type is moderate, all services available.

I get that a lot on PC, the only "answer" I have found, is the host died before you could load in. It only happens for invasions covenants for me

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

null posted:

it could also be hosts who pull the plug when they're invaded, or die before you finish getting summoned, or a problem on their end.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Will breaking sequence and killing dancer early open consumed kings garden?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Trying to kill the Dancer at low level with a slow weapon is probably the least fun I have ever had playing a Souls game, though I'm not sure how much of that was caused by the loving music (which gets incredibly annoying after the first couple of minutes since it's just high pitched chanting) before I realised you could turn it off.

It's weird how much difference the animations make, the Dancer's "lightly brush you with my sword" animations make the entire fight unenjoyable but Champion Gundyr - who moves in a somewhat similar way - is just more fun to fight because you get some intuitive feel about how his attacks are happening and it doesn't feel like bullshit when he hits you.

Next time I want to make a gimmick character I will just glitch it but I thought it might be fun :(

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Yes

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

You can do everything except Grand Archives.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
so is the Executioner's Greatsword kind of not good or am i missing something? just grabbed it on my Quality build in training dude and it seems sorta lackluster

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tallgeese posted:

Supposedly (I have not checked myself) Different talisman's have different amount of "Now you can tank poo poo!" Like, Sunlight talisman is supposed to have a good one, while Saint's talisman is supposed to have a lame one.

If this is true, it could help nail down any differences in what goes on when using the "same" weapon art.

Fextralife Wiki posted:

The Saints Talisman has the weakest from of the Unfaltering Prayer skill, frequently being interupted by single greatsword attacks or straight sword r1 spam that other talismans will ignore.

Million Ghosts posted:

so is the Executioner's Greatsword kind of not good or am i missing something? just grabbed it on my Quality build in training dude and it seems sorta lackluster

It looks cool, gives back a few FP per kill, and it has One Weird Trick that Ninja Skeleton's hate!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 12, 2016

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If you get more hyper armor based on weight, then...that's kind of ugh.

Is the +poise ring from previous games still in? I forget.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Lotish posted:

If you get more hyper armor based on weight, then...that's kind of ugh.

Is the +poise ring from previous games still in? I forget.

Yeah its from the wolf covenant :v:

null
Feb 19, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Atreiden posted:

I get that a lot on PC, the only "answer" I have found, is the host died before you could load in. It only happens for invasions covenants for me

ponzicar posted:

it could also be hosts who pull the plug when they're invaded, or die before you finish getting summoned, or a problem on their end.

I don't know if that's it, I joined darkmoon a couple of hours ago and I've already had 6 failed summons, 0 successful ones. I guess I'll mess around with my network settings and see if it helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTlz7jlg0Ng

I know this doesn't really prove anything but I was able to replicate that other video using nothing but a wolf ring +1 for my poise source.

I don't really have the time or energy to actually prove anything. It's clear that there's something there, though. At the very least there's a difference between zero and non-zero poise.