Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

For Lack of a Better Name

MegoSteve posted:

That's kind of what I thought, but I wasn't sure. I think I'll try to drive one and see how it ranks. Thank you.

How do you feel about the Nissan Versa? My mother-in-law purchased a used manual transmission and loves it. Granted the 2014 is a redesign which is usually iffy but it rated very high. The previous generation also rated very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Hey guys. I'm moving to somewhere without a decent transit system for work, so I'm getting back into the whole driving thing. I haven't had a car for a few years (had to sell it) and now I'm looking at used cars at local dealers. One has a 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 88,000 miles on it for $3900. Clean title, new tires and brakes, no mechanical or body damage. 4-speed automatic (manumatic-style manual shifting), 2.4L I4. I'm looking for something that's not bad in the city and is decent for going for a drive just for the sake of going for a drive.

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. Is purchasing this a terrible idea or a good one?

e: I should mention that's about the top end of my budget. Fresh out of college.

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 9, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

inkblottime posted:

How do you feel about the Nissan Versa? My mother-in-law purchased a used manual transmission and loves it. Granted the 2014 is a redesign which is usually iffy but it rated very high. The previous generation also rated very well.

Versas are kind of fine, if you don't really give a poo poo about anything aside from getting from A to B, but they're the cheapest thing you can buy new for a reason. That reason is that they're a trash fire. Underpowered is an understatement, and boring and cheap feeling are too. They pack in some decent gadgets, but it feels like a tin can with a lawnmower engine and chinese knockoff fischer price fittings.

I mean it's probably not going to explode on you or anything, but you can do much better buying used for the same money. Don't buy a used Versa, you can't depreciate starting from nothing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IRQ posted:

Versas are kind of fine, if you don't really give a poo poo about anything aside from getting from A to B, but they're the cheapest thing you can buy new for a reason. That reason is that they're a trash fire. Underpowered is an understatement, and boring and cheap feeling are too. They pack in some decent gadgets, but it feels like a tin can with a lawnmower engine and chinese knockoff fischer price fittings.

I mean it's probably not going to explode on you or anything, but you can do much better buying used for the same money. Don't buy a used Versa, you can't depreciate starting from nothing.

That generation of Versa has like the worst crash test ratings of any contemporary car that the NHTSA has tested. I think it came out in the same or close to the last year of the Ford Ranger and the Ranger was the safer vehicle. Also I think the "cheapest car in America" thing was just a gimmick and you could only get that price on the very base model with no AC and handcranked windows that no dealer ever stocked anyway, the ones you could actually buy were basically the same price as all the other better cars.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

esky posted:

Gotcha. Just spoke with Jeep about it, and while it wasn't super clear what the guy was explaining, it sounds like the car can pass the inspection points mandated by the certified program even with aftermarket parts, but if something fails, then only factory parts will actually be covered.

Also, why do you specifically want premodified? A stock JK Rubicon is insanely capable, and I'd argue that dumping serious mod money into something mostly bank owned is not necessarily the wisest decision.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, why do you specifically want premodified? A stock JK Rubicon is insanely capable, and I'd argue that dumping serious mod money into something mostly bank owned is not necessarily the wisest decision.

Well you never get what you put into modded vehicles, so if you are looking to bro it up anyway it might be a cheap way to do it.

Comedy option: You might almost be able to make the case that an older non-AMG Gwagon could be a viable option. It will be slightly more expensive than the Jeep to start but you get all the solid axle goodness and they do sell lift kids and whatnot for them, you can certainly get one that's never been offroad(i.e. all of them) and with resale it might be mostly a wash vs the Jeep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3p4Ozunvw

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Kazinsal posted:

Hey guys. I'm moving to somewhere without a decent transit system for work, so I'm getting back into the whole driving thing. I haven't had a car for a few years (had to sell it) and now I'm looking at used cars at local dealers. One has a 2004 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS with 88,000 miles on it for $3900. Clean title, new tires and brakes, no mechanical or body damage. 4-speed automatic (manumatic-style manual shifting), 2.4L I4. I'm looking for something that's not bad in the city and is decent for going for a drive just for the sake of going for a drive.

I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. Is purchasing this a terrible idea or a good one?

e: I should mention that's about the top end of my budget. Fresh out of college.

Those are not good cars.
This is almost an AI meme, but if you can do ok with a soft-top, a maita will drive better, be more reliable, and generally be a better car.
Otherwise, mazda 3 if you don't live in rust country.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

inkblottime posted:

The Versa blows.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Kazinsal posted:

That's an awful idea. If that's the top of your budget, you need something cheap, reliable, and ideally newer than 12 years old.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

An ex girlfriend of mine had a 2003 or 2004 Eclipse when they were brand new and it wasn't a good car then. I can't imagine a 12 year old one is worth a poo poo today.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I drove an eclipse for 3yrs and while the V6 gives it plenty of punch at lights, the poo poo mileage and poorly mounted dual cats were problematic, and the engine bay organization in general could have been much improved for basic maintenance. The bucket seats became uncomfortable after about 1.5hrs of driving; so if you wanted to just hit the road I would advise something else.

e: as a teenager, it's a fun ride. Nobody fits in the back seats and your trunk is limited to about the size of a poodle. Worse off, the latest generation of the car has the worst HP in the series. The design went tits-up and I feel like a Talon would be a better purchase (mostly for the AWD).

Video Nasty fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 9, 2016

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Whoops. Well now that this is here...

I'm looking for a new-to-me car in the next year or so to replace an '03 Cavalier with 100k miles on it.

My concerns:
•reliability
•cost / high-value / low-depreciation

My intentions:
•low mileage commuter car
•occasional high mileage weekend trip / vacation
•family may start at some point during ownership

My assets:
•Have 10k for a down-payment
•Strong credit
•Strong cash-flow

My top choices:
•USED Work fleet vehicle Ford Fusion '13 to '15. Prices range from ~13k (30k miles) to 9k (70k+ miles). Have full repair and maintenance histories.

•NEW Honda Civic 2016: 20 to 25k. Not cheap, but the new model looks fun as hell and will likely keep its value. Parts are everywhere.

•Toyota Camry, or Prius. Used market seems shallow, so buying new and taking advantage of dealer financing / offers may be the better route. I don't really care about hybrid mpg due to my overall low mileage, but the Prius has exceptional reviews and may have a lower depreciation / higher resale value in 5-7 years.

DNK fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 10, 2016

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I would not recommend a new civic with what is basically a full re-design, it'll take time to make them reliable. Never buy a newly minted model on its birthyear.
A 2013-2015 civic used will be in the 13-17 range depending on options and mileage.. I'd recommend that.

Also AI will tell you to buy a Prius..
Toyota also a good option

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I wouldn't buy a fleet car ever. Even if it has low miles that thing may have idled all day. One of our SUVs runs from basically 8a to 6p everyday for the AC because it's at a lot with no shade.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You have $10k cash? Buy a $10k prius. Done, no note and done.

And/or buy any other reliable used compactish car for 10 grand. Unless you have a good reason to buy new, used with no note makes a hell of a lot of sense with that much money.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

tater_salad posted:

I would not recommend a new civic with what is basically a full re-design, it'll take time to make them reliable. Never buy a newly minted model on its birthyear.
A 2013-2015 civic used will be in the 13-17 range depending on options and mileage.. I'd recommend that.

Also AI will tell you to buy a Prius..
Toyota also a good option

There's a substantive difference in the redesigned Civic - your point might have validity, there's already a small recall on the 2L engine models - but if you're going to buy a Civic, buy the new one.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Ammanas posted:

There's a substantive difference in the redesigned Civic - your point might have validity, there's already a small recall on the 2L engine models - but if you're going to buy a Civic, buy the new one.

I drove both (I reall was out of budget with a new civic) and totally agree, I ended up with an Accord because I got a smoking deal on it. But I stand by my never buy the 1st year of a redesign.. even a honda or toyota, as they've had their issues.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
My wife and I need to purchase another vehicle because she's now going to need one for her commute. I'd buy a Prius, but she wants blind spot detection (and ideally other modern safety features) and the Prius costs ~$30k with BSD. Our current family car is a 2016 Outback. While I'd like to get a much cheaper car, I'm struggling to find one with blind spot detection for less than $22k, and there doesn't seem to be much on the used market with that feature other than expensive old Volvos. There are some Subarus from 2015 that have BSD, but they are any cheaper than these options and I don't really want to own another similar model-year Subaru for a variety of reasons including price.

Our current short list contains:
2016 Honda Civic LX with Honda Sensing - $20,440 MSRP
2016 Mazda 3 i Touring - $21,095 MSRP
2016 Honda Accord LX with Honda Sensing - $24,005 MSRP

2016 Prius 4 - $29,485 MSRP

Both Hondas are base models at that price, and yes I just read the discussion about not buying the Civic in its first model year which is partly why I'm making this post. The Prius has the potential advantage of getting a carpool lane sticker here in California if/when the legislature approves more of them. It's also much more expensive, and lacks some of the fancy safety features found in all of the other cars at that price.

Are there any vehicles I'm forgetting that are on the lower priced end of the spectrum and have blind spot detection?

Thanks!

edit:

Proposed Budget: Less than $25k ideally
New or Used: Either
Body Style: Sedan, coupe, hatchback
How will you be using the car?: Commuting
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? No, but blind spot detection is a must for my wife.
What aspects are most important to you? Safety

AriTheDog fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 11, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Christ I shudder to think that we're now at the point where "turn your head ever so slightly to the left and right before changing lanes" is evidently now an insurmountable barrier.

Fords used the same system as Volvo so I would think that any BLIS equipped Ford would qualify. I have no idea what trims in what yearsgot this feature and what did not.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Christ I shudder to think that we're now at the point where "turn your head ever so slightly to the left and right before changing lanes" is evidently now an insurmountable barrier.

If people would just learn how to adjust their mirrors correctly so that they effectively eliminate blind spots most cars wouldn't even need electronic blind spot nannies.

Hint: if you can see the side of your own car in your side mirrors they are adjusted way too far inward.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fords used the same system as Volvo so I would think that any BLIS equipped Ford would qualify. I have no idea what trims in what yearsgot this feature and what did not.

Yeah I don't disagree with you. It's a comfort issue for her, and she's the one that's going to be driving. I'll take a look at the Fords.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KYOON GRIFFEY SR posted:

Christ I shudder to think that we're now at the point where "modulating the brake pedal during a panic stop" is evidently now an insurmountable barrier.

I mean, I'm not going out of my way to replace any of my cars just to give me a little light on the mirror, but I can see why someone who doesn't care about nailing every apex would want to shop cars based on 'does it have this safety feature or not'.

I personally don't hold that much weight on the "don't buy a first model year" theory anymore. These days, it's more often that any actual flaws are either going to be subject to recall, ignored until a midcycle refresh, or are just normal warranty issues (aka the reason new cars have warranties). Also, firmware updates.

If you're looking at the Accord, perhaps also the Mazda6? And yes, both those Honda LX's are "base" trim but when you compare actual features, they're closer to the mid trims on other makes. I have not driven the new Civic, but I have driven current-generation versions of both the Accord and the Mazda3 and thought both of them were fantastic.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Blind spot detection yeah but lane drift and collision detection is freaking awesome. I really can't wait until we remove people from control of their vehicles and these are nice introductory features.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
With the visibility that modern cars have I'm pretty sympathetic to anyone who wants to have cameras everywhere and blind spot monitoring. Try sitting in a new Camaro.

Blindspot monitoring is a pretty trivial thing to integrate if the car already has backup sensors, which again see above.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm actually a fan of side mirror turn signal lights... those seem super useful. I'm surprised more cars don't have them and it isn't a requirement.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I am a big proponent of active safety features that don't require driver intervention but if it does not actually take control of the car it's not that useful.

Plus, the tech is too new for it to be a must-have, in my opinion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, I'm not going out of my way to replace any of my cars just to give me a little light on the mirror, but I can see why someone who doesn't care about nailing every apex would want to shop cars based on 'does it have this safety feature or not'.

I personally don't hold that much weight on the "don't buy a first model year" theory anymore. These days, it's more often that any actual flaws are either going to be subject to recall, ignored until a midcycle refresh, or are just normal warranty issues (aka the reason new cars have warranties). Also, firmware updates.

If you're looking at the Accord, perhaps also the Mazda6? And yes, both those Honda LX's are "base" trim but when you compare actual features, they're closer to the mid trims on other makes. I have not driven the new Civic, but I have driven current-generation versions of both the Accord and the Mazda3 and thought both of them were fantastic.

Having spent a lot of time in manufacturing environments, I still would prefer not to buy early in the first model year. There's a ton of little stuff that gets corrected, usually pretty quickly, that can have a big impact on end results.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

DNK posted:

My assets:
•Have 10k for a down-payment
•Strong credit
•Strong cash-flow

Check your local credit union. Our rate was 2.34% which, even over the course of 4 years, is a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the car. Our mortgage rate is higher, for gods sake, which indicates it would be more cost effective to pay the house off first.

With strong credit, strong cash-flow, and a good down-payment, you shouldn't be looking at high mileage (+50k) cars. If you get a good rate on your loan, spend a little more and find a newer, super low mileage Ford Fusion (or whatever you're looking at), preferably with only one owner.

If you have the means, don't cut corners on your car, especially if you're planning on having a family soon.

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm actually a fan of side mirror turn signal lights... those seem super useful. I'm surprised more cars don't have them and it isn't a requirement.

This! I was totally enthralled with the idea of purchasing a 2016 Honda Pilot with all the bells and whistle: blind spot monitor, lane monitor, collision mitigation... I was totally sold on it.

Then I thought about it for a moment. I'm a good driver. I don't use my phone, I drive defensively (avoid sitting in people's blind spots, spot potential lane jumpers, keep safe follow distance), and I instinctively tune out the radio and anyone who might be talking to me when I need to focus.

But turn signals on side mirrors. Now that is awesome. Everyone else should get all the functions that allow them to not kill people while texting or doing makeup or what not. I'm good with my high visibility turn signals.

(Marriage Pro Tip: if your wife wants blind spot monitor, you get it to make her happy even if it's silly and you can win the argument on why not to get it)

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 14, 2016

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I've got a 2008 Ford Fusion and I'm really happy with it, but it's still 8 years old. Can you guys just give me a ballpark of recent cars I ought to be looking at? What're the good 4 door sedans these days? What years should I be looking at? I liked having a new car so if I go used I don't think I want to go any older than 2014, and even that'd be a stretch, but at the same time if there's no difference between last year's model and the new ones and I can save 5 grand or something, I'm not an idiot.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don't like the new Pilots at all. The boxy shape was distinctive and impressive.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

CapnAndy posted:

I've got a 2008 Ford Fusion and I'm really happy with it, but it's still 8 years old. Can you guys just give me a ballpark of recent cars I ought to be looking at? What're the good 4 door sedans these days? What years should I be looking at? I liked having a new car so if I go used I don't think I want to go any older than 2014, and even that'd be a stretch, but at the same time if there's no difference between last year's model and the new ones and I can save 5 grand or something, I'm not an idiot.

What's wrong with your current car? An '08 Ford should have a lot of life left unless you're driving a poo poo of a lot.

Do you just want a new car? If that's the case what do you actually want in a new car?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

IRQ posted:

What's wrong with your current car? An '08 Ford should have a lot of life left unless you're driving a poo poo of a lot.

Do you just want a new car? If that's the case what do you actually want in a new car?
The brakes are lovely and the A/C is busted. I'm getting an estimate on fixing them but with an 8 year old car I want to know what all my options are.

Also I like tech toys and newer cars have way better tricks than just having a USB port and bluetooth syncing with my phone. I've been trying to hold out for electric cars to get affordable because they're the techiest and therefore best, but that's still gonna be several years from now so maybe get another car to hold me over?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CapnAndy posted:

The brakes are lovely and the A/C is busted. I'm getting an estimate on fixing them but with an 8 year old car I want to know what all my options are.

Also I like tech toys and newer cars have way better tricks than just having a USB port and bluetooth syncing with my phone. I've been trying to hold out for electric cars to get affordable because they're the techiest and therefore best, but that's still gonna be several years from now so maybe get another car to hold me over?

8 year old car? I'd put money that it just needs a recharge and some new pads, maybe rotors. A lot cheaper than a new car. I'd hold out for the car you actually want. A 2008 is basically new these days.

AriTheDog
Jul 29, 2003
Famously tasty.
CapnAndy have you considered installing a new entertainment console? There are ones that support Android Auto and it's bound to be much cheaper than a new car.

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

Honestly, where wants and needs are concerned, you probably have a lot of life left in that car. I keep my maintenance logs and tally up the cost for each year and then compare that to monthly payments for a new car. As soon as it starts getting up there, then I'd consider a new-to-you car.

That being said, if you have some money to burn and the itch to buy a car, get a Honda Civic. They have a lot of techie bells and whistles plus are well rated and reliable.

Also, I find the 2-year old car to be the sweet spot for buying used.

Edit: You could wait for the new Tesla Model 3 to come out. That's about as techie as you can get at near consumer level.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 15, 2016

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

nm posted:

8 year old car? I'd put money that it just needs a recharge and some new pads, maybe rotors. A lot cheaper than a new car. I'd hold out for the car you actually want. A 2008 is basically new these days.

I know he didn't mention it, but safety-wise, IIRC it wasn't until 2009 that side curtain air bags became mandatory; so it may not be basically new. Also, wasn't it 2012 that small-overlap crash testing became a thing?

So a ~2013 would be basically new, until the next big thing comes along.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

VideoTapir posted:

I know he didn't mention it, but safety-wise, IIRC it wasn't until 2009 that side curtain air bags became mandatory; so it may not be basically new. Also, wasn't it 2012 that small-overlap crash testing became a thing?

So a ~2013 would be basically new, until the next big thing comes along.

I was more referring to lifespan, and I'd be surprised if an 08 family sedan didn't have side curtains. And despite the efforts to sell everyone a new car, small overlap isn't worth buying a new car over (but worth considering if you're buy a new car anyhow)

inkblottime
Sep 9, 2006

jdpower posted:

Standard safety features on the 2008 Ford Fusion include dual-stage front air bags; seat-mounted, torso-protecting front side air bags; head-protecting side curtain air bags...

Ford Fusion is a good car. Not sure why you'd want to replace it with something lateral unless you were trading up.

Edit: as an afterthought, is there anything aftermarket you can do to improve the brakes on an older car like more expensive pads? Or maybe the breaks just need to be replaced, which is standard for any car you would own. Just a thought.

inkblottime fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 15, 2016

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

inkblottime posted:

Ford Fusion is a good car. Not sure why you'd want to replace it with something lateral unless you were trading up.

Edit: as an afterthought, is there anything aftermarket you can do to improve the brakes on an older car like more expensive pads? Or maybe the breaks just need to be replaced, which is standard for any car you would own. Just a thought.

He's right around when the brakes will need to be done if he's putting normal miles on it, that's probably just all it is, and that's no reason to buy a new car. My 09 Mazda3 needed all the brakes done a few months back (90% city miles since I've owned it so no surprise they went a little fast). The aircon in an '08 likely just needs a freon or whatever it is now recharge.

Those aren't very good reasons to look at new cars, unless you just want a new car, which is totally fine and up to that poster's particular situation if that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

inkblottime posted:

What do you mean by "improve"? Any car made in the last two decades at least has more than enough braking to lock up/ABS the tires. The only meaningful improvement on a street car could be auto braking/assisted braking because you are a pussy and not stomping on the pedal hard enough. Racecar brakes are different in order to deal with the higher level of heat generated by repeated hard braking while racing, and are not relevant for driving on the streets.

EDIT:I thought of one thing. Some car based SUVs (well let's be honest they are all Chryslers) have rather undersized brake parts that get worn out alarmingly quickly, and could be improved with higher quality aftermarket pads and discs. They are still more than enough to stop the vehicle though.

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 15, 2016