Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

WW wrap photo.

https://twitter.com/PattyJenks/status/730142777682579456

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

BiggerBoat posted:

You misspelled "The Phantom"

The Shadow was even earlier. :v:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Man, I loved the Shadow. I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember it being fantastic and fun.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

Man, I loved the Shadow. I haven't seen it in forever, but I remember it being fantastic and fun.

It's got some problems but it looks great, it sounds great, the cast is fun, and the plot is Batman Begins about a decade early.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

No movie with Tim Curry and Ian McKellan can be all bad.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

rantmo posted:

No movie with Tim Curry and Ian McKellan can be all bad.

I remember Tim Curry, he says to the female lead "When are you going to come down and see my spheres?" but I don't remember Ian McKellan.

I also remember thinking how much the Shadows story was very similar to Doctor Stranges.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

WW wrap photo.
That one dude must smell awful.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I don't have time to watch the whole movie before bed, but the extended freeway scene on the Deadpool BRD is pretty funny as Colossus keeps changing from full CGI, to place holder, to the stand in during the extended parts.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

twistedmentat posted:

I remember Tim Curry, he says to the female lead "When are you going to come down and see my spheres?" but I don't remember Ian McKellan.
Ian McKellan is the scientist building the weapon / the father of the love interest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think Dick Tracy is my favourite Batman '89 copycat.

(Actually, it's probably The Crow, but I'm not sure if it counts.)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Toxxupation posted:

I really do wonder how they're going to adopt the fact that Old Man Logan utilizes the whole extended Marvel Universe so extensively (since, you know, Logan killed all of the other mutants in the world) into a movie where they don't have the license for any of it.
They, uh, don't have to? It's an adaptation, not "page directly on the screen".

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

https://twitter.com/BretEastonEllis/status/727399215098269697

X-O posted:

EDIT: Oh poo poo, Ryan Reynolds actually helped do the Honest Trailer for Deadpool. Because of course he did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qIRtFE6aIc

This might be the only good Honest Trailers ever.

zoux posted:

From the secret Illuminati casting department:

WHO GAVE YOU THAT JACKET

She's probably going to be an X-Men first.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
So I guess that guy hasn't seen Civil War at all. Or Deadpool. Strange.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

So I guess that guy hasn't seen Civil War at all. Or Deadpool. Strange.

Bret Easton Ellis wrote American Psycho among other books.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The main villain of Justice League has been revealed, and it's someone unexpected...and totally dumb. Spoilers for the villain of Justice League, obviously.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not really sure what is dumb about that. It's a two-part film and having a minion dude be around for the first part is more sensible than trying to drag Darkseid out over two movies. Plus they have to bring Superman back and having him come back for a victory is more likely.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

The main villain of Justice League has been revealed, and it's someone unexpected...and totally dumb. Spoilers for the villain of Justice League, obviously.

The DC Movie Universe is obviously based on Earth 2. Everything makes sense now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That article's source is Devin Faraci's article and he makes no mention where he heard that it's Steppenwolf. He just says "we know it's him"

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/11/we-know-the-villain-of-justice-league

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Darkseid is the DCU's most interesting and charismatic villain, he could easily carry two movies by himself.

I'd argue that especially with Snyder's sensibilities that a JL part 1 doesn't even need a villain, or at most the intimation of one. Like the whole point of the JL is that in direct contrast to the Avengers they're not a team who forms up to fight bad guys, they're a governmental body who deals just as much with ensuring stability and the interactions of its members as it does with fighting bad guys. Especially considering how much of BvS was spent on people arguing with each other, I'm sort of weirded out that a movie in which that would be actually appropriate gets some penny-ante totally boring villain.

And in either case I'd rather the villains be actually interesting over "CGI dude who was introduced in a cut-for-time dream sequence".

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Is it a two part film, or is it JL1 and JL2?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

drat, I was really looking forward to seeing Snyder's take on Mister Mxyzptlk

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MacheteZombie posted:

That article's source is Devin Faraci's article and he makes no mention where he heard that it's Steppenwolf. He just says "we know it's him"

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/05/11/we-know-the-villain-of-justice-league

As much as I dislike Faraci he reported Doomsday, KGBeast being Lex's henchman, and Wonder Woman's photo being plot points n BvS back in 2014. So he has some kind of source with info.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Electromax posted:

Is it a two part film, or is it JL1 and JL2?

Parts One and Two.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

X-O posted:

KGBeast being Lex's henchman

Man, now I wonder if anyone believed that (even if the character is basically an easter egg).

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

mycot posted:

Man, now I wonder if anyone believed that (even if the character is basically an easter egg).

In his original report he said it was just an easter egg and he would only go by Anatoly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darkseid is interesting because he is an omnipotent dark force who can't be easily defeated and who commonly acts through catspaws and minions. Blowing your load on him right out of the bat is less interesting than having his stable of interesting minions around followed by building up to the big man himself. This isn't even just DC, it's pretty common stuff in general. Bond fights Oddjob or Jaws before he fights the mastermind and so-on.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
The real villain of JL is going to be Snyder, just like in Beavis.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Paolo Rivera, whom some of you will remember from Mark Waid's first volume of Daredevil or some of his more recent Valiant work, has just shown the last of his Captain America trilogy painted poster series that he's done for the casts of each movie. And the last one is just as good as the last two.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

As much as I dislike Faraci he reported Doomsday, KGBeast being Lex's henchman, and Wonder Woman's photo being plot points n BvS back in 2014. So he has some kind of source with info.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/01/13/rumor-time-batman-v-superman-has-a-third-villain

He also uses Latino Review as a a source.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Considering that the two main villains of the DCCU have been Zod and Doomsday, respectively, implying that it's not a series fully intent on blowing its load at every available opportunity seems faulty at best. And either way there's a middle ground between "Darkseid can't be the main villain of both movies" and "Steppenwolf should be the main villain of one movie". He's Steppenwolf. He's an immensely uninteresting villain.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

just catching up with the thread, but the idea that a Squirrel Girl movie in the MCU would be impossible seems bizarre to me if you've read even one issue of her current series

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Toxxupation posted:

Considering that the two main villains of the DCCU have been Zod and Doomsday, respectively, implying that it's not a series fully intent on blowing its load at every available opportunity seems faulty at best. And either way there's a middle ground between "Darkseid can't be the main villain of both movies" and "Steppenwolf should be the main villain of one movie". He's Steppenwolf. He's an immensely uninteresting villain.

You've already admitted to not having an interest in DC so I'm going to guess many of their villains will be uninteresting to you. Steppenwolf is fine for a lead in to Darkseid.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Toxxupation posted:

What precisely is wrong with Steppenwolf? Like I don't get why you're acting like he's The Worst Thing Ever.

Edit: I also presume it won't just be Steppenwolf punching the Justice League, it will be Steppenwolf as the commander of Darkseid's forces and will include other members of the New Gods Krew.

Also like this is a movie version so it's pretty likely he'll be a fairly different version of the character anyway.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 11, 2016

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

What precisely is wrong with Steppenwolf?

I could definitely go the rest of my life without having to hear Magic Carpet Ride again

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Since they're obviously going to be full-on Apokalips by JL2 I wonder if they can get Ed Asner back to play Granny Goodness.

For that matter, who's going to play Barda and Scott Free?

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I don't care about Steppenwolf, but he'd be a fine person to waste the time of the Justice League while Darkseid breaks into Wayne Manor and makes himself at home on the couch.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not really sure what is dumb about that.

i can think of one thing.

that thing is the name of a 60s acid rock band

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Steppenwolf, with Granny Goodness and the Furies, have Barda betray them. I'll watch that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Toxxupation posted:

Yeah I'm reading some more Apocalypse reviews and I really think this movie could be DOA.

Kevin Nash is in it?

Makes sense. He's really good at taking down the Four Horsemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sp1r0_Agn3W posted:

i can think of one thing.

that thing is the name of a 60s acid rock band

When the film involves people named Granny Goodness, Desaad, Darkseid and Vermin Vunderbar you're basically gonna have to accept that is where it's going.

• Locked thread