Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

Oh God, U2

Also puppy dogs. Interviewing with a rescue shelter tomorrow. Heard so many horror stories from rescues about people putting acid on their dogs.

Wtf

what are you doing with the rescue shelter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Berke Negri posted:

its embarassing how bad in general d&d is on economics that the most economics focused threads you'd get would be the eurodoom ones but mostly those guys aren't exactly working with a full economic toolbox when it comes to analysis see GC or whoever it was that would often try to do back of the napkin arithmetic to demonstrate gdp growth in greece by cutting just enough pensions like macro is a game of civilization and you just need to fiddle with the sliders on the menu
This is because people take a 101 class and think they're experts

If you think economics is bunk you need to know enough economics to show that it's bunk and quelle surprise people who lol at economists don't do that

Frankly I don't know much about economics but I do know enough to know that I don't know anything about it and don't bother with it except to yell at people who make gross conceptual errors

Ohio State BOOniversity
Mar 3, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

the worst of krugman is probably his 20-yearold In Praise Of Sweatshops

imo he's ok.

not great, but he isn't insufferable. my favorite is this bizarre screed about, uh, $20 sandwiches or something. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/15/opinion/the-pastrami-principle.html

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Disinterested posted:

It's not that bad of an article when you realise he's not addressing marxoteens

Uhh, how do you figure?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the Wasteille

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Disinterested posted:

If the worst on krugman is that article then lol

Also this forum is really bad at bejng confronted with economic theory and then relying in 'lol economists' as a counter argument

agreed, we should all read the road to serfdom

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Disinterested posted:

It's not that bad of an article when you realise he's not addressing marxoteens
It's in fact now common when discussing the ethics of sweatshops (at a high level, mind, not your student activists, who I think do good work) to accept that the economic gains are real, but that there are strong moral arguments against treating workers poorly, partly because given the situation of sweatshop labor it's exploitative (it's wrong to offer a choice between something bad and something terrible when you could offer better choices, or so the argument goes).

This doesn't address Krugman's final point which isn't straightforwardly wrong given the situation we find ourselves in but I think it's pretty weak.

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Ah. It must have been when I was younger.
Fun Shoe

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Crap des Chevaliers

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
oh man I love the style

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Uhh, how do you figure?

Because people are terrible at advocating for solutions that will actually help improve quality of life in developing countries and the conventional left's set of solutions is not very good at all

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Chateau Failhard

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

paranoid randroid posted:

Chateau Failhard

This is what I call my house

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

It's in fact now common when discussing the ethics of sweatshops (at a high level, mind, not your student activists, who I think do good work) to accept that the economic gains are real, but that there are strong moral arguments against treating workers poorly, partly because given the situation of sweatshop labor it's exploitative (it's wrong to offer a choice between something bad and something terrible when you could offer better choices, or so the argument goes).

This doesn't address Krugman's final point which isn't straightforwardly wrong given the situation we find ourselves in but I think it's pretty weak.

It's weak but he's right that lovely working conditions is better than starving to death in a famine, but one would hope in the modern, globalised world where information can travel near-instantly we wouldn't face such issues because of humanitarian intervention

hang on sorry wait I just noticed India never mind

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe
my motte and failey

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Disinterested posted:

Because people are terrible at advocating for solutions that will actually help improve quality of life in developing countries and the conventional left's set of solutions is not very good at all

-mao, 80 years ago

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

-mao, 80 years ago

So am I a Maoist or an arch neoliberal

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Two hospital visits and I return home to discover my ISP turned off the internet to upgrade it indefinitely and the insurance company hosed up my billing

What is my day

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Tesseraction posted:

It's weak but he's right that lovely working conditions is better than starving to death in a famine, but one would hope in the modern, globalised world where information can travel near-instantly we wouldn't face such issues because of humanitarian intervention

hang on sorry wait I just noticed India never mind
Well yeah, that's the real moral problem

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Disinterested posted:

So am I a Maoist or an arch neoliberal

I was joking both times, but honestly I haven't a clue either way although I'd hazard you're economically pragmatic.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Disinterested posted:

Two hospital visits and I return home to discover my ISP turned off the internet to upgrade it indefinitely and the insurance company hosed up my billing

What is my day

welcome to america

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Disinterested posted:

so the alternative is to support the status quo???

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Well yeah, that's the real moral problem

Exactly

Also I forgot to remove the brain implants from the primitive species I was observing

The British empire strikes again, in space

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

so the alternative is to support the status quo???

No it's change the paradigm entirely but when people on the left act like North South trade is immoral and harmful to the third world that's just ridiculous

Aeryk
Aug 31, 2006

Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

Exactly

Also I forgot to remove the brain implants from the primitive species I was observing

ah well, stiff upper lip. you'll jolly well get it next time

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I am building a mine in the lando system

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZB4jcPmFGo

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

ive been taking french courses and today was my final exam

i don't speak french, which was a problem

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

R. Mute posted:

ive been taking french courses and today was my final exam

i don't speak french, which was a problem

that's okay, it's a pants language

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Disinterested posted:

Exactly

I uplifted a species that's now just slaving away mining minerals and being an invasion force.

My next game is gonna be benevolent democratic space foxes.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Disinterested posted:

No it's change the paradigm entirely but when people on the left act like North South trade is immoral and harmful to the third world that's just ridiculous

what's your stance on the alter-globalist 'movement'?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

I uplifted a species that's now just slaving away mining minerals and being an invasion force.

I tamed megafauna in to super soldiers that was good

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sharkie posted:

what are you doing with the rescue shelter?

Oh not volunteering, I'm wanting to adopt one of their rescues and first they making me interview over the phone to start. Seems extensive but whatever I can interview for a puppy dog.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
I prolly could volunteer for one down the line thiugh. I got free time.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Disinterested posted:

I tamed megafauna in to super soldiers that was good

"Welcome to space! Isn't it grand? Now put on these shackles and go die for the Star League."

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Dis adds Onward Christian Soldiers to the Stellaris music playlist and breaks out his good gaming pith helmet

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

he swaps his hernia pillow for a colder one, to ease the swelling

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
send for a sturdy Andromeda-man to carry my bags, Smythe. ive business at the Shackleton Club and cant afford to be late.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I have lived in Shackleton's estate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Gravel Gravy posted:

Oh not volunteering, I'm wanting to adopt one of their rescues and first they making me interview over the phone to start. Seems extensive but whatever I can interview for a puppy dog.

it's a good thing they're doing interviews, good for them.

not that you implied otherwise i mean.

i'm very tired

Gravel Gravy posted:

I prolly could volunteer for one down the line thiugh. I got free time.
doooooooo it

• Locked thread