Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
[IANAL] It depends a lot on your location, but chances are your interpretation isn't correct. They should be able to enter to show potential buyers with proper notice.

You can ask your landlord if you can make an amicable split, if you want, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Is the landlord selling it as a rental property that would be transferred to the new owner or as a condo-deal where the new owner would take up occupancy? If it's the latter, that's outside of the lease.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

Eponine posted:

Is the landlord selling it as a rental property that would be transferred to the new owner or as a condo-deal where the new owner would take up occupancy? If it's the latter, that's outside of the lease.

Not entirely sure but I got the impression she was selling it to a new owner who would then occupy the unit.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Jyrraeth posted:

Is there any trick to packing glasses/dishes/kitchen poo poo?

I'm moving in my folks temporarily and I want to pack all my kitchen stuff away because my parents can be careless slobs. Ideally I'd have my kitchen packed away in some sort of semi-compact way so that I can keep it in boxes until I move again (possibly long-distance). I can wrap them in towels/old bedding and I only have a handful of lovely stemware.

U-Haul glass pack kits. They're amazing. I've used them in two moves so far for my regular glassware and China and fancy glasses. Haven't had a broken one yet.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

this_is_hard posted:

Not entirely sure but I got the impression she was selling it to a new owner who would then occupy the unit.

If she's selling it before the end of your lease, I think it's more than fair to say you'll move out now for a price. A friend of mine did that with her old studio. The landlord wanted to sell the place and waived her last month's rent plus paid $1,000 towards her moving expenses. Saying it will probably sell in 3-4 months doesn't mean that she's just going to keep it on the market if it sells in a week.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
The lease is poorly written. The lease seems to technically say that she can't sell the place before the last 60 days of the lease. A better legal interpretation is that she could sell it, but couldn't do the other stuff (for sale signs, showings), but that's not literally what the lease says.

I'd probably call her and get the story for yourself, and if it lines up, say "so you expect the property to close and change hands within weeks of our wedding? Is there anything we can do to help that happen a different way?", and if she seems to not give a poo poo, I'd remind her of the 60 day thing. But the first move here would be a human decency move, you understand she wants to sell, you're game to play along, but seriously, during the wedding?

The lease goes on to waive 24 hours notice and I don't think you can legally waive 24 hours notice like that (nonspecifically, ahead of time, in the lease), but I don't know what state you're in, and frankly I don't know if this is true or not, it just seems like it would be true.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

photomikey posted:

The lease is poorly written. The lease seems to technically say that she can't sell the place before the last 60 days of the lease. A better legal interpretation is that she could sell it, but couldn't do the other stuff (for sale signs, showings), but that's not literally what the lease says.

I'd probably call her and get the story for yourself, and if it lines up, say "so you expect the property to close and change hands within weeks of our wedding? Is there anything we can do to help that happen a different way?", and if she seems to not give a poo poo, I'd remind her of the 60 day thing. But the first move here would be a human decency move, you understand she wants to sell, you're game to play along, but seriously, during the wedding?

The lease goes on to waive 24 hours notice and I don't think you can legally waive 24 hours notice like that (nonspecifically, ahead of time, in the lease), but I don't know what state you're in, and frankly I don't know if this is true or not, it just seems like it would be true.

big business man fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 18, 2018

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
There are some places that only require 12 hour warning to enter property. Even if they sell your unit during your lease, your new landlord will have to honor your lease terms.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

extravadanza posted:

There are some places that only require 12 hour warning to enter property. Even if they sell your unit during your lease, your new landlord will have to honor your lease terms.

Cool, this doesn't answer a thing that I was asking, though!

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

this_is_hard posted:

Cool, this doesn't answer a thing that I was asking, though!

Your options have been fully laid out for you above already, there's very rarely a magic technicality that will let you out of your lease. If you really want to wiggle out of your lease you need to talk to a lawyer. This isn't a common issue that free internet advice is going to solve.

E: the clause that you are trying to break the lease over is surely just to make it easier for the landlord to enter your property near the end of your tenancy. There is such a thing as the 'spirit of the contract' that means the contract would have to be really specific in order to bar the owner from trying to sell it during your stay. Rental contracts are far less technical than most other contacts.

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 8, 2016

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Does the lease have a gold fringe? Maybe it is only valid for properties at sea.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

extravadanza posted:

Your options have been fully laid out for you above already, there's very rarely a magic technicality that will let you out of your lease. If you really want to wiggle out of your lease you need to talk to a lawyer. This isn't a common issue that free internet advice is going to solve.

E: the clause that you are trying to break the lease over is surely just to make it easier for the landlord to enter your property near the end of your tenancy. There is such a thing as the 'spirit of the contract' that means the contract would have to be really specific in order to bar the owner from trying to sell it during your stay. Rental contracts are far less technical than most other contacts.

Shucks, I was just hoping for some sort of Life Pro Tip to skirt out of it.

Thanks for posting friend!!

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have any experience with polyester sofas? My girlfriend and I are looking for a couch/loveseat for a smallish one bedroom, probably around the 72" mark, and we're seeing a lot of Serta furniture at our price point. We have a cat so we can't go leather...I dunno. If we're trying to stay under $600 it looks like maybe it's between this Serta stuff or a trip to IKEA.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

OSheaman posted:

Does anyone have any experience with polyester sofas? My girlfriend and I are looking for a couch/loveseat for a smallish one bedroom, probably around the 72" mark, and we're seeing a lot of Serta furniture at our price point. We have a cat so we can't go leather...I dunno. If we're trying to stay under $600 it looks like maybe it's between this Serta stuff or a trip to IKEA.

Do you have American Freight in your area? We just got a huge fabric sectional from them for under $800 and we love it. Cursory search, they've got a whole lot in your price range:

http://www.americanfreight.us/search-sofas--loveseats-16-122_materials_Fabric_colors

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe

ExtraFox posted:

Do you have American Freight in your area? We just got a huge fabric sectional from them for under $800 and we love it. Cursory search, they've got a whole lot in your price range:

http://www.americanfreight.us/search-sofas--loveseats-16-122_materials_Fabric_colors

Alas, I'm in NYC.

ExtraFox
May 22, 2003

~all of these candy~

OSheaman posted:

Alas, I'm in NYC.

aw heck

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
What can I do with this awkward empty area in my living room?

I live in a long skinny townhouse with 2 bedrooms uptairs and a continuous living room/dining room on the main floor.

Additional perspective shots:

(Standing in the awkward empty spot, facing living room)

(Standing in the awkward empty spot, facing front door)

Those window sills are only about 2.5 feet off the ground, and the plantation shutters open outward, so I can't really put anything up against that wall.

squidtarts
May 26, 2005

I think women are intimidated by me because I have mean cartoon eyebrows.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What can I do with this awkward empty area in my living room?

My immediate thought was L-shaped cube storage. Cats can climb on it and you can stick your shoes in it. Something a bit like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

squidtarts posted:

My immediate thought was L-shaped cube storage. Cats can climb on it and you can stick your shoes in it. Something a bit like this:

I was thinking something similar to your suggestion. Depending on your crazy cat lady level, you could relinquish that area to the cats and build/buy massive cat trees. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I think it looks fine as, personally, though I guess my apartment and tastes are pretty spartan

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert
put a plant there

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

Glans Dillzig posted:

put a plant there

I agree with this. Don't crowd your floor space just because you have space. Make sure you get an impermeable tray to put the pot in! Terra cotta trays can't sit directly on the floor.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I like the idea of a plant. The L-shaped bench is neat too, but that molding on the wall sticks out about a half inch, so any flush furniture doesn't work.

Now to find a plant that won't kill or get eaten by my cats!

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do you rent or own?

Do never buy furniture that only fits in a weird area in your current residence unless you own it. Otherwise you need to find a space for it in your new place when you move, or sell it and hope someone else has an awkwardly shaped place it'd fit in.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

New to New York Question:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I am moving to NYC and need some pointers. I am an airline pilot so I don't wanna be too far from the JFK airport. This is a new job and I will be making decent money at first (between $70k - $90k first years depending on how much I wanna work) and should be making double that after about 5 years. I am almost debt free with excellent credit, so I can afford a decent studio or 1br, however, I am gone so much of the month that I don't think its worth getting something nice that I won't be able to be around to enjoy. So basically the prudent options are either a lovely studio in a lame area, or finding roommates. What are the best resources for both of these options? It seems like the best areas would be somewhere in Brooklyn close to the J line, or Queens. I am staying in Queens with my cousin right now, and can continue crashing his couch indefinitely, so I don't wanna rush into a bad decision.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

You might want to try crossposting your question with the NY LAN thread - we answer these sorts of things all the time for people moving to Boston, and I assume that NY is at least as friendly as us bitter massholes. :v:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Ashcans posted:

You might want to try crossposting your question with the NY LAN thread - we answer these sorts of things all the time for people moving to Boston, and I assume that NY is at least as friendly as us bitter massholes. :v:

Just did that :)

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Animal posted:

New to New York Question:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but I am moving to NYC and need some pointers. I am an airline pilot so I don't wanna be too far from the JFK airport.
If I were going to travel for a living, my last choice of places to live would be the most expensive city in North America and perhaps the world.

When I did travel for a living I sold basically everything, kept some poo poo at my parents house, had a couple of girlfriends in a couple of cities, and just rotated where I spent my "weekends" which was about 3-4 nights twice a month. If I ran out of welcome mats, I'd stay in a hotel somewhere for a few nights.

The hotel thing for the weekend after staying in hotels basically all the time is kind of a downer, but not really any worse than paying $3-4k/mo for a 1br apartment that you stay in 6-8 nights/month, plus all the other bullshit (water, electricity, cleaning) that comes with it.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

photomikey posted:

If I were going to travel for a living, my last choice of places to live would be the most expensive city in North America and perhaps the world.

When I did travel for a living I sold basically everything, kept some poo poo at my parents house, had a couple of girlfriends in a couple of cities, and just rotated where I spent my "weekends" which was about 3-4 nights twice a month. If I ran out of welcome mats, I'd stay in a hotel somewhere for a few nights.

The hotel thing for the weekend after staying in hotels basically all the time is kind of a downer, but not really any worse than paying $3-4k/mo for a 1br apartment that you stay in 6-8 nights/month, plus all the other bullshit (water, electricity, cleaning) that comes with it.

That's exactly the way I lived the past four years. Everything I own fits in my car. There are several reasons I chose NYC.

1.) There are plenty of flights to San Juan, PR which is where most of my family and friends live. I intend to buy a beach house down there now that the economy is in the dump. I could also choose Miami, or Atlanta. But I HATE Miami, and I "lived" in Atlanta last year and was underwhelmed for many reasons. Also, NYC makes more sense because:

2.) My company buys me a plane ticket from wherever address I have set as my home to where they need me for work (CVG). Plane tickets from JFK to CVG are expensive. So I can be down in San Juan, or anywhere else in the US, call the company and ask to be flown from there instead, and they'll compare the price of tickets to a JFK departure and if its within $100ish they will fly me from wherever I am. If my home bases were MIA or ATL, I'd have to get myself to those cities first on my own time and money and fly from there.

3.) I really love NYC and I have a ton of friends and family here. I really, really enjoy my time here and spend a lot of my days off coming here anyways. I can keep using their generosity for the forseeable future, but eventually I will want my privacy because, well, I enjoy bringing women back to my place. Unless I find a girl with her poo poo together that I can 'move into' with, I will need my own room because I don't have parents or anywhere to keep my poo poo in until I get that house in PR.

All these considerations are enough for me to put up with the high tax rate and cost of living, if only for a year. Yes, I have done the girlfriends across the world thing already, and will continue to do so until I find a steady relationship. But I need a "home" room somewhere even if its just an apartment I share with another roommate. The goal is to have my house down in PR which I will AirBNB when I am not there and pay for itself, and keep an address in NYC so I get the benefits as pointed in 2.), but that will take about a year or so for me to save the money and to be stable enough with my new job to pull it off. The ideal situation is finding a steady girlfriend in NYC to share a 1BR. We'll see.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 14, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Indeed. Well thought out.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

Maybe look into Forest Hills/Rego Park westish Queens areas. You should be able to find a cheapish 1-bedroom that isn't a shithole and is convenient to JFK. They're not 'cool' neighborhoods, but they're not rough and it's still easy to get into the bigger parts of the city to have fun and meet people. There's still restaurants and bars and stuff there. I used to spend a lot of time in Rego Park, and while not exciting, there's still plenty to do and you can cruise over to Jackson Heights for authentic Indian food or an express train into Manhattan.

I'd recommend against a roommate situation if you're away a lot, but that's my bias against leaving people I don't know well alone with my stuff for several days at a time. I feel like there is too much shenanigan potential.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

BadSamaritan posted:

Maybe look into Forest Hills/Rego Park westish Queens areas. You should be able to find a cheapish 1-bedroom that isn't a shithole and is convenient to JFK. They're not 'cool' neighborhoods, but they're not rough and it's still easy to get into the bigger parts of the city to have fun and meet people. There's still restaurants and bars and stuff there. I used to spend a lot of time in Rego Park, and while not exciting, there's still plenty to do and you can cruise over to Jackson Heights for authentic Indian food or an express train into Manhattan.

I'd recommend against a roommate situation if you're away a lot, but that's my bias against leaving people I don't know well alone with my stuff for several days at a time. I feel like there is too much shenanigan potential.

e: nevermind I'm dumb

Renegret fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 14, 2016

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

Does anyone have a good source for area rugs in the $100-$150 range? I've been looking on Amazon, but I'm not sure if the ones they have in that range are a good deal. I'm pretty much restricted to online-only as we don't have an Ikea or anything like that around here.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
Carpet remnants at a flooring store will be a good bet for cheap and easy and custom sized. I also just bought a $200 large area rug from Home Depot and had it shipped to my house for free. It was a pain to receive, but other than that, I'm happy with it for what I paid.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Do you have a TJ Maxx or the like around? They usually have reasonably priced rugs.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Home Depot and Lowe's usually have rugs in that range. Most furniture stores that are in your price range would have them.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I want to buy a motherfuckin'

EAMES LOUNGE

However, at 6'2", I'm officially Too Tall to fit comfortably in one.

In response to people getting taller and fatter since the 1950s, Herman Miller has started making a Tall edition as of 2013.

Differences are very minor:

The thing holding me up is that the Tall Eames isn't an Eames, you know? It's like, if you love the Mini Cooper, but you don't fit in it, do you get an abomination like the Mini Countryman that fits you, or do you just admit that the Mini Cooper isn't for you?
I am 190 cm and sat in a Tall Eames literally two weeks ago and it was the most incredible seating experience my butt has ever had. Are you not in a place where there is one on display? The visual difference is so incredibly minor it's more like buying a mini that has an extra few centimeters so your knees don't scrape the wheel and you don't develop a callous on your head from rubbing against the roof, unlike the fat abomination that is the countryman.

JaneError
Feb 4, 2016

how would i even breathe on the moon?
Will hopefully be signing a lease on a new apartment in the next several days. Due to a quirk of the renovated building, the unit enters into a long hall. I don't have exact measurements at the moment, but I'd estimate it to be about 5 feet wide by 25 feet long. It's very dramatic and fun, but it's also sort of a dead space. The unit doesn't have much in the way of additional storage (each of the two bedrooms has a decently-sized closet, but there isn't a storage or even a hall/coat closet), so there's definitely a feeling that there's wasted potential here. Unfortunately, while the space is wide compared to a "typical" hallway, it's not SO wide that we could fit anything terribly large/deep without forcing people to squeeze by it when they come in.

There's a possibility that there is a storage unit available in the basement of the building, but if that doesn't pan out, any suggestions on how to salvage some storage space in this massive entryway? I've poked around IKEA and a couple other places, and there are some benches and units that would probably work, but I wanted to see if anyone had any firsthand experience or advice and/or recommendations for dealing with a similar space.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

JaneError posted:

Will hopefully be signing a lease on a new apartment in the next several days. Due to a quirk of the renovated building, the unit enters into a long hall. I don't have exact measurements at the moment, but I'd estimate it to be about 5 feet wide by 25 feet long. It's very dramatic and fun, but it's also sort of a dead space. The unit doesn't have much in the way of additional storage (each of the two bedrooms has a decently-sized closet, but there isn't a storage or even a hall/coat closet), so there's definitely a feeling that there's wasted potential here. Unfortunately, while the space is wide compared to a "typical" hallway, it's not SO wide that we could fit anything terribly large/deep without forcing people to squeeze by it when they come in.

There's a possibility that there is a storage unit available in the basement of the building, but if that doesn't pan out, any suggestions on how to salvage some storage space in this massive entryway? I've poked around IKEA and a couple other places, and there are some benches and units that would probably work, but I wanted to see if anyone had any firsthand experience or advice and/or recommendations for dealing with a similar space.

I would go for a combination of Ikea Kallax units (The narrow ones can be placed on their side and used as a bench), and the Stolmen or Algot systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

JaneError posted:

This isn't in houston by chance is it? I saw something exactly like this in a renovated hotel building turned apartments