Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EAB posted:

This is great information. I started looking at glider rentals and theyre a lot cheaper than airplane rentals. Then I started looking to see how much gliders cost and I found a lot of motorized gliders for sale for under $10k. I don't know if theyre ancient or just death traps or both, but if you owned the drat thing and you didnt have to get it towed it seems like you could log those hours on the cheap. Good idea / Bad idea?

You'll spend far less on tows/glider rentals for 50-100hrs than you will maintaining a motor glider. Unless you just really want a motor glider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost

Rolo posted:

My 135 woes are evolving. Had my first day off in a month today, and I made it all the way to 9am before getting an ASAP call out.

How does the company show your 13 days off per quarter? Just falsify it? You need another job, Dude.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

ausgezeichnet posted:

How does the company show your 13 days off per quarter? Just falsify it? You need another job, Dude.

I have a few prospectives, already. They don't falsify it, they specifically ask me to make sure I don't break any rules, then they yell at me for needing more than 3 days off a quarter. They want me to break rest regs but they want it to be my decision to do it.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Your company is shady as gently caress. Come to compass and I'll split the referral bonus with you. The pay isn't horrible now, it's a good plane, 4 commuter hotels a month, everything is run legally... You get hard days off... etc.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Went to the doctors office for my medical and it was full of aviation memorabilia and a TV with cartoons on. Guy is definitely used to dealing with manchildrenpilots.

He also said that he sees no reason whatsoever to deny me a class 1 medical and barring anything weird happening with the feds I'll get it in the mail in 3 weeks.

Aww yiss.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 11, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Also he didn't touch my dick balls OR butthole.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvilJoven posted:

What a let-down.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
They changed the way student pilot certs are issued correct? I seem to recall they changed it from just walking out of the AME's office with your student pilot cert.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

The Slaughter posted:

Your company is shady as gently caress. Come to compass and I'll split the referral bonus with you. The pay isn't horrible now, it's a good plane, 4 commuter hotels a month, everything is run legally... You get hard days off... etc.

Yeah but it makes for good stories and life lessons! I should know this week what's going on, and I'll be done before the end-of-quarter rest log shenanigans regardless.

I would like to apply to be the 135 nightmare representative of this thread. I can answer any and all questions about hell on earth and sky.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

EvilJoven posted:

I have the weekend free if you feel your missing out?

Also, is it sad that I'm super happy I got a compliment from Tower for my landing on monday?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

bunnyofdoom posted:

I have the weekend free if you feel your missing out?

Also, is it sad that I'm super happy I got a compliment from Tower for my landing on monday?

Nah, I always like when they ask me to do something weird like a short approach to scoot in front of something to help their sequence and they're like thanks. :spergin:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

e.pilot posted:

Nah, I always like when they ask me to do something weird like a short approach to scoot in front of something to help their sequence and they're like thanks. :spergin:

Something like happened actaully. Windy as gently caress day, so I had to use 32, so they told me to use 07 as my base, and land asap and as close to the intersection as I could. Desceneded 1100' in 30 seconds and landed on the first hashmarks past. Tower was impressed. I even landed straight on centre, and with a good flare. :unsmith:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

KodiakRS posted:

They changed the way student pilot certs are issued correct? I seem to recall they changed it from just walking out of the AME's office with your student pilot cert.

Remember, I'm Canadian. We sometimes do things a touch differently here.

SCOTLAND
Feb 26, 2004
I just checked my logbook and the average leg length for 2016 is 12:54.

I feel like I will never have a regular sleep schedule again.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

EvilJoven posted:

Remember, I'm Canadian. We sometimes do things a touch differently here.

Also, it really shouldn't be a "you walk out with the medical in-hand" because, if you need that, it already implies a considerable lack of planning which is not befitting of a pilot.

When I signed up for training, getting the medical was the first thing you are told to do after you decide "I want to fly planes'. If by some absolute miracle you are god's gift to flying and you can be ready to go solo without having received your medical, you need some time off just to deflate your ego IMHO.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm still not about to do anything more than maybe a few hours until the paper is in my hands. The school said that ground school started last Saturday and I said if rather take their next cycle than potentially waste 700 bucks paying in advance for ground school and books while there's still the remotest chance I could get denied.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane

EvilJoven posted:

Remember, I'm Canadian.

Where in Canada are you? Might be able to find a glider club if you want to go that route to start.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Winnipeg, but TBH unpowered flight really doesn't interest me.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Joven, you're a speed in #flightsim. You don't need ground school.

Well..... Unless Canadian aviation requirements are just 100 times worse than ours.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

bunnyofdoom posted:

I got a compliment on the last landing of the first part of my private checkride from a PSA CRJ which was hanging out in the penalty box off 24L at DAY. "Beeeeautiful landing."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe

Captain Apollo posted:

Joven, you're a speed in #flightsim. You don't need ground school.

Well..... Unless Canadian aviation requirements are just 100 times worse than ours.

Canadian requirements for ground school are p heavy: LINK

Also I probably need a lot of aviation therapy to unlearn the lovely habits and incorrect information I picked up from being a flight sim autist. I'm gonna try really hard to not fall asleep through all the stuff I already know and more importantly not be a loving keener piping up all the time.

EDIT: I go flying Saturday morning.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 12, 2016

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

EvilJoven posted:

Also I probably need a lot of aviation therapy to unlearn the lovely habits and incorrect information I picked up from being a flight sim autist. I'm gonna try really hard to not fall asleep through all the stuff I already know and more importantly not be a loving keener piping up all the time.

EDIT: I go flying Saturday morning.

I Flight Simmed hard in the couple years leading up to the start of my training (I was 17), though most of it was downloading commercial jets and flying IFR (always direct NEXTGEN-before-its-time-style because I was lazy) as opposed to doing maneuvers, etc. I also was addicted to the JustPlanes videos/DVDs which, between that and having a scanner as a kid, reeeeeeeeeeally helped my radio skills right out of the gate; my instructor didn't hesitate at all talking about how stunned and relieved he was at how well I did on the radio (one less thing he had to teach me), though I think the only operational mistake my dumbass made in the early phases of training related to my avgeekery was saying on my first flight we were on the visual for 24L...while VFR. :ramsay:

Just go into training realizing that some of the stuff you've picked up might be helpful while being open to learning and you'll be good. I didn't have much trouble, though, as a friend aptly said, "Flight Sim ain't got poo poo on the real deal".

Not sure what you mean by "keener", but there was one guy in my college Intro to Aviation class who was grossly over-ambitious about what his career plans were, to the point where he once asked me if he went out and got a 737 type immediately after finishing multi if I thought Delta would hire him. He was one of those guys who should've known better, yet I actually had to copy/paste the link to Delta (and Southwest...and AirTran)'s hiring requirements to him on MSN and he still thought it would work; there's nothing wrong with loving the gently caress out of flying, but don't be that guy.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 12, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Oh ya I picked up quite a bit from flight simming and doing VATSIM so a lot of the navigation, procedures etc will be as much a refresher and filling in the little details. A lot of people say that as long as you are very well aware of the limitations of flight sims, especially the stuff you can use at home, it's useful for some things.

As for being a Keener, I'm talking about the guy in class that immediately responds to questions, throws in their opinion at the slightest chance and does his best to insert himself into the position of favorite student. It's always the guy who has a lot of experience but needs the official course/cert/whatever. No matter what you do you always get that guy. When I took my firearms safety a few weeks ago that guy was old and head to toe in camo.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
The best thing about the aviation thread is that all of us that post regularly congregate in other non aviation threads.

1) Mustang Thread
2) Guitar Thread
3) Jeep thread

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

KodiakRS posted:

Yes, the AME now only gives you a Medical cert. The Student Pilot cert application is done through IACRA and then the FAA mails you a plastic card weeks later, just like a real pilot. My first student to go through the process got his in the mail in 2 weeks or a little less - I was amazed. Still a totally useless process though.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So how many of you keep a roll of premium TP in your flight bag so you don't have to suffer the indignity of lovely single ply airplane/airport bathroom TP?

Now that I've mentioned it, how many of you are thinking I'm a god damned genius?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

uhhh... no on both counts? Although bring a roll is a good idea when traveling to third world'ish countries, and China.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Captain Apollo posted:

The best thing about the aviation thread is that all of us that post regularly congregate in other non aviation threads.

1) Mustang Thread
2) Guitar Thread
3) Jeep thread

There's something to this.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

EvilJoven posted:

So how many of you keep a roll of premium TP in your flight bag so you don't have to suffer the indignity of lovely single ply airplane/airport bathroom TP?

Now that I've mentioned it, how many of you are thinking I'm a god damned genius?

I have a TP tube with some good TP wrapped around a ballpoint click pen inside the tube, wrapped in about six wraps of duct tape with some string on the outside, shoved into a pair of socks. There is a world of MacGyver solutions in those scant cubic inches, plus the inherent value of all the constituent parts. Now that butane lighters are kosher on planes again, I should throw one of those in the tube as well.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

SCOTLAND posted:

I just checked my logbook and the average leg length for 2016 is 12:54.

I feel like I will never have a regular sleep schedule again.

Your logbook is up to date? Command or Job change detected...

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
My average leg length is 1:59 for 2016 so far.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

hjp766 posted:

Your logbook is up to date? Command or Job change detected...

I keep mine updated. Its just easier.

hjp766
Sep 6, 2013
Dinosaur Gum

AWSEFT posted:

I keep mine updated. Its just easier.

What is a logbook?

ausgezeichnet
Sep 18, 2005

In my country this is definitely not offensive!
Nap Ghost
I've been paranoid about losing my flying gig with no notice for 30 years. Therefore, I have kept my logbook up to date within a couple months the whole time. Only lost one job with no notice a long time ago and that was more of a mercy killing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I discovered this guy fairly randomly, but he has a pretty cool channel of VFR and IFR flight video logs in Caravans and TBMs in and around Florida and the Bahamas:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT4l4ov0PGeZ7Hrk_1i-5Ug

I just hope to god he's never in an accident/incident in which the FAA/NTSB/Congress will inevitably point to his "hosting" as the reason in spite of being fairly capable of multitasking.

Also, more Sonia, please.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 02:47 on May 18, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
So now that I've paid for ground school and went up for my first actually being instructed not just out for a joyride flight you may as well put me in the big list of people that made poor life decisionspilots.

My first lesson was a lot of keeping the plane pointed straight and flying level. Also got to do the takeoff that I cocked up because a gust of wind combined with a crosswind and asymmetric thrust shoved me left like I'd hit a tree. After shaking that off it was perfect.

My instructor said not to worry too much, they don't even normally let newbies do the takeoff.

Also on the way back I heard a feint radio call that sounded a bit weird but I couldn't make it out. Then tower and my instructor had a back and forth because they were sure they heard him say mayday.

Stay safe up there.

EDIT: Someone remind me to ask where the drat volume knob is when I go back up tonight.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 12:56 on May 19, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll never forget my first takeoff in the 140. Mostly because my instructor (also my dad) let me just give it a shot with no riding the controls. I was overcontrolling from the start, got into a pretty sweet PIO-esque s-turn (tailwheels! :argh:) and finally just held full up elevator as we headed towards the runway edge at a 30 degree angle. He thought it was funny as hell.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
That wasn't my first takeoff, it was just my first one in a crosswind. My first takeoff was years ago in my first discovery flight and it was a cinch. Then the rest of the flight was absolute poo poo because I pulled the stupid flight simmer trick of gluing my eyes to the instruments instead looking outside the loving plane.

That was years ago. When I started at this school a few weeks ago the chief instructor said that knowing I'm a flight sim guy means they know they need to cover the gauges. I told them not to bother because I'd already learned that lesson.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Staring at gauges was a big problem for me doing my private pilot license as well. If you do continue to flight sim, just fail all your gauges or turn off that fancy g1000. Makes you appreciate all that pirated scenery anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Hasn't been a problem for years, I broke myself of that habit even in flight sims after that disaster of a discovery flight. Helps that I have TrackIR and updated scenery so I can actually fly by attitude and navigate by landmark.

• Locked thread