Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

You can respec your skill ranks, but not your class choices

So have at least some plan in mind for your desired classes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
And to be crystal clear, skill respecs are bought from the cash shop, they're not something you can do normally.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
i got to level 30 without using any of the EXP cards at all, but I'm starting to get vastly outclassed by the areas now; I've been grinding a bit to try to get Vubbe Fighter Blood (lmao) and to help IRL buds level up, but I just reached level 30 and I'm starting Tenet Garden (which is level 35 recommended)

1) When should I head to the other starting area (Orsha, I started in Klaipeda)
2) What EXP cards should I be saving, and which should I just be spending with abandon? I've been hoarding them all because I just assumed I should, but I feel like I just keep falling behind

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
If you are following the ideal spergy path along something like this then you should probably have gone over to the orsha side already, but there's no harm in going whenever you like I guess, particularly if you are feeling underpowered.

I've been burning my XP cards whenever I find myself more than 5 levels blow a zone, starting from the smallest cards, seems to be working fine.

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Finish up Tenet Garden, then head to Orsha and skip ahead to the jungle for questing

zones grant their quests up to 10 levels below their recommended level, so you're still fine

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

I burned my level 1 and level 2 EXP cards and immediately got to level 34 and Highlander level 10

My plan is to go Swordsman>Highlander>Barb>Barb>Barb>Doppel>Doppel and just Cloud Strife my way through the game, hopefully 2H sword builds aren't poo poo

PurplieNurplie
Jan 14, 2009
So far 2H Sword DPS is pretty good, at least as far as sololing at around rank 3 goes. I kind of wish I knew whether it held up for the whole game, I hear that groups won't take Swordsmen without at least 1 Pelt or w/e the tank is called. Probably not worth worrying too much about though.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

PurplieNurplie posted:

So far 2H Sword DPS is pretty good, at least as far as sololing at around rank 3 goes. I kind of wish I knew whether it held up for the whole game, I hear that groups won't take Swordsmen without at least 1 Pelt or w/e the tank is called. Probably not worth worrying too much about though.

The stuff I've heard from people who know more than me varies wildly, where groups won't take Swordsmen unless they can "tank," but then also saying that tanking isn't real/necessary/extant

My plan is to just play solo or with frands anyway, or be the very best Doppel who ever lived, and I'm almost rank 3 anyway

Tempting to take another rank of Highlander, but Barbarian looks like my jam

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Can someone give me some pointers on the build I set up for my swordsman? I THINK it's mostly solid but I may have taken some bad turns somewhere.

https://tos.neet.tv/skill-planner#11366889.1123354551.15243541.536597a5ba.1a2134557585.15233255

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
so okay, the 'tanking' thing is like this.

whoever deals the most damage gets aggro. once you have aggro, you cant dump it unless you have a skill that does like cleric's fade. there are a few generate aggro spells that swordsmen have but they arent great and/or busted. finally, peltasta c1 gets swashbuckling which draws attention of mobs in an area but other party members can easily take aggro from you just because they poo poo out dps.

essentially, swordsmen are only useful thanks to peltasta swashbuckling. cataphract builds put out p good dps but they dont match wizards or archers. they do better than dps clerics, but those usually still have cleric2 which means lots of heal tiles and divine might. divine might is crazy good for boosting party dps so most all clerics are wanted unless its a monk or sadhu build.

youll see world chat asking for peltasta or tanking swordsmen and they mean pelts with swashbuckling

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
I'm stuck in the sky, send help

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Rahu posted:

I'm stuck in the sky, send help

youve ascended to the secret sky god level, congrats :toot:

zenemarch
Oct 20, 2012
Dudes, doesn't grinding and using your xp cards equal the same net xp as having never used your cards? I don't get the "save your cards" until x level camp.

zenemarch fucked around with this message at 04:35 on May 12, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Blazing Zero posted:

so okay, the 'tanking' thing is like this.

whoever deals the most damage gets aggro. once you have aggro, you cant dump it unless you have a skill that does like cleric's fade. there are a few generate aggro spells that swordsmen have but they arent great and/or busted. finally, peltasta c1 gets swashbuckling which draws attention of mobs in an area but other party members can easily take aggro from you just because they poo poo out dps.

essentially, swordsmen are only useful thanks to peltasta swashbuckling. cataphract builds put out p good dps but they dont match wizards or archers. they do better than dps clerics, but those usually still have cleric2 which means lots of heal tiles and divine might. divine might is crazy good for boosting party dps so most all clerics are wanted unless its a monk or sadhu build.

youll see world chat asking for peltasta or tanking swordsmen and they mean pelts with swashbuckling

we've had a different experience with tanking, 2 of us boss rushing the lvl 200 dungeon the past couple weeks and basically the boss aggros on whoever hits it first and doesn't stop aggro unless that person stops dealing damage for 10 seconds or so (or leaves engagement range)

I would run in first and start shooting the boss immediately, but that made the fight annoying for us because I'd have to keep the boss on the ground aoe effects while avoiding getting knocked down the entire fight

so we swapped to me engaging second so mr. safety zone can hold the boss in his murder grass and owl statues the entire fight

swordies of course can grab aggro and hold it the entire fight with their aggro skills though

e: though this all might just be an effect of us having similar dps and aggro tending to not swap easily

cl_gibcount 9999 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on May 12, 2016

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

zenemarch posted:

Dudes, doesn't grinding and using your xp cards equal the same net xp as having never used your cards? I don't get the "save your cards" until x level camp.

you get exp penalties fighting stuff that's too low and too high, so it's kinda inefficient to level past zones and then go back to clear their quests, unless those quests don't involve killing stuff

so stay in optimal range while you quest, card up to the dungeon level (50) once you get enough (use this to find out) so you can begin doing your daily dungeon runs and then use cards to push yourself into quest range for new zones as you start to run out and to push up to the better exp dungeons as you get close to them

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
saving cards is an easy way to control your exp flow and avoid leveling deadzones. you can totally use all your cards immediately if you want, follow your heart

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Were there any mods or other non-obvious tweaks to get the performance of the game to be not-horrible? I seem to recall a lot of it is just the terrible netcode, but I'm getting like, 15fps in towns. I already tried setting it fullscreen, -dx 11, novsync, turning off the steam overlay, etc.

ImperialGuard
Jan 10, 2010
How does the training time thing for attributes work? It has to be more complicated than just time spent playing because I had an attribute that was stuck at one minute remaining for well beyond a minute.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

ImperialGuard posted:

How does the training time thing for attributes work? It has to be more complicated than just time spent playing because I had an attribute that was stuck at one minute remaining for well beyond a minute.

It's just time, you don't have to be logged on. the attribute timer will bug out sometimes, supposedly speaking to the trainer npc and trying again will fix it

Rahu
Feb 14, 2009

let me just check my figures real quick here
Grimey Drawer
That happens to me a lot, when it is stuck on one minute you can just go to the trainer and click on the skill that is in training a bunch. Eventually it will finish. :iiam:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Were there any mods or other non-obvious tweaks to get the performance of the game to be not-horrible? I seem to recall a lot of it is just the terrible netcode, but I'm getting like, 15fps in towns. I already tried setting it fullscreen, -dx 11, novsync, turning off the steam overlay, etc.

You can try this edit to your user.xml file. It's very crude--16-bit depth is not something you usually want to mess with, and it'll affect your desktop colors too since the game isn't dedicated fullscreen. Everything else appears to be useless placebo.

I experienced display banding that was especially noticeable on NPC models as I walked past them while using this. I reverted because that doesn't settle with me.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Rahu posted:

That happens to me a lot, when it is stuck on one minute you can just go to the trainer and click on the skill that is in training a bunch. Eventually it will finish. :iiam:

I don't know how long you've been waiting, but in general the game just rounds numbers in a weird way. Simply put, it starts saying 1 minute as soon as the timer reaches 1:59, and will therefore always stay at 1 minute for at least 2 minutes.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

There is a legitimate problem where it gets stuck at one minute and gets unstuck upon speaking to the trainer.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013
Is there any space in a goon guild? I have plenty of stupid questions that I want to bombard people with.

I'm not 100% sure how people write out their classes, but at the moment i'm thinking about going Cleric, Cleric, Bokor, Bokor, Druid, Druid, and then i'm not sure for the last one. Is that dumb?

Edit: Holy poo poo Mage is SO much more fun than Cleric!

Rahzmataz fucked around with this message at 18:47 on May 12, 2016

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

The idea behind saving cards, at least around the ~150-160 range is that there are level 160 maps that are really good for grinding. During those levels you could go to either of the demon prisons, or bee farm. But once you get to 170ish and the exp of those places start dropping off, there aren't really any good maps to replace them with. So you use cards to skip ahead. Also, the level 160 dungeon is really bad and not worth doing

At low levels it really doesn't matter when you use the cards, but it is just kind of inefficient to use them when you're already within 10 levels of the map you're on, or unless you just want to get to the curve reset

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Rahzmataz posted:

Is there any space in a goon guild? I have plenty of stupid questions that I want to bombard people with.

just hop in the discord for this (linked in the op), guilds have a 25/35 member limit and I don't think anyone else is doing the templar hellgrind to make a second one

zenemarch
Oct 20, 2012
Dang I had no idea, it makes a ton more sense now. Thanks for setting me straight.

If anyone is familiar with kToS, have they put out a patch that fixes necro pets allegedly buggy AI? I'm going pyro2 psyco2 necro on my wizard and am hoping I won't be super gimped at end game. I also have no idea if psyco's swap works on bosses since I haven't gotten that far yet and I'm kind of banking on it, does anyone know?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been looking over various classes just mostly out of curiosity and noticed that Wugushi supposedly requires "Poison Pot Poison" for all their abilities in various large amounts. That doesn't show up in the item database though. Maybe this got changed at some point or something? If not, how much of a giant chore is it to carry around that stuff if someone is actually using Wugushi.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've been looking over various classes just mostly out of curiosity and noticed that Wugushi supposedly requires "Poison Pot Poison" for all their abilities in various large amounts. That doesn't show up in the item database though. Maybe this got changed at some point or something? If not, how much of a giant chore is it to carry around that stuff if someone is actually using Wugushi.

You have 1000/1000 poison when you start and your abilities use some small amount every use. You use consumables sold by the trainer to replenish some amount (not sure how much, but its something like 200-250). You can also use drops from bug type enemies to replenish your poison. Essentially you just buy some poison from the trainer every few days and carry them around and use as needed. Yes I'm actually a Wugushi.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

zenemarch posted:

Dang I had no idea, it makes a ton more sense now. Thanks for setting me straight.

If anyone is familiar with kToS, have they put out a patch that fixes necro pets allegedly buggy AI? I'm going pyro2 psyco2 necro on my wizard and am hoping I won't be super gimped at end game. I also have no idea if psyco's swap works on bosses since I haven't gotten that far yet and I'm kind of banking on it, does anyone know?

The latest kToS patch buffed necros a bit, but I'm sure their pet AI is still poo poo. If you go necro, know that your pets dont really do poo poo. If you want a pet class, go sorc 2.

edit: going kino without cyro seems kinda bad.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 12, 2016

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

YoshiOfYellow posted:

it's not a big deal at all, and most dungeon/mission instances are bugged to not use up poison anyway so you are free to spam that poo poo without a care

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Yas posted:

You have 1000/1000 poison when you start and your abilities use some small amount every use. You use consumables sold by the trainer to replenish some amount (not sure how much, but its something like 200-250). You can also use drops from bug type enemies to replenish your poison. Essentially you just buy some poison from the trainer every few days and carry them around and use as needed. Yes I'm actually a Wugushi.

YES bread posted:

it's not a big deal at all, and most dungeon/mission instances are bugged to not use up poison anyway so you are free to spam that poo poo without a care

Oh neat that actually sounds really low maintenance. Based on just what little info I was reading I was preparing for RO Alchemist levels of bullshit.

I may pursue since my Archer seems to take exponentially less effort to kill things than either my Wizard or Cleric. Cooldowns are a bitch.

Mikemo Tyson
Apr 30, 2008
Is the glorious nippon shinobi as awful as people make it sound? I fizzled out of cleric pretty fast and swordsman sounds pretty fun. I was following this build: http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/d7ks2lprbs/

e: On second thought, a battle paladin sounds like fun? http://www.tosbase.com/tools/skill-simulator/build/z1xxorcl7c/

Mikemo Tyson fucked around with this message at 23:27 on May 12, 2016

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did some graphs on cards and how much experience you get from them assuming you're >only< taking cards in consideration. The graphs show a level offset of what would happen if you could use every card available up to and including a certain zone (so if you do every level 1 quest you end up at level 14) without any regard to quest level requirements:

If you do only quests things start to go grim at 125. Assuming you want to stay at worst 5 levels beneath the area you'll fall behind at level 126.

Quests + Exploration shows what most people are aware: At around Level 160 you start falling behind in level. Things go downhill fast.

Quests + Exploration + Hunts on the other hand is much better. After the 186 reset you'll VERY quickly recover and get 15 levels all the way up to 201. From here on it's pretty much impossible to rely just on card experience.

Quests + Exploration + Hunts ONLY after and including level 160 (Dina Bee Farm) yields a very similar result in the final levels. You'll lag one level behind at the end but you'll catch up to it. If you want to know the exact cut not to miss a single level from hunts it is if you start hunts at level 100 - you'll probably get that level faster by grinding late game mobs than doing 60 levels of hunts.

Q+E (Purple), Q+E+H>=160 (Blue) and Q+E+H (Green) overlayed:

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I've been trying to decide whether I want to play this game or not. I'm mostly being stopped by the mixed review status on the Steam page, which is kind of a dumb thing to be stopped by, but here we are.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I keep flip flopping on whether or not I'm enjoying it myself. I feel like I've outgrown Korean MMO grinds at this point in my life but there's still this vague desire to actually get somewhere into the game and mess with the more interesting classes and see other areas.

But man has my tolerance for grind gotten low.

Reicere
Nov 5, 2009

Not sooo looouuud!!!

Xenothral posted:

I've been trying to decide whether I want to play this game or not. I'm mostly being stopped by the mixed review status on the Steam page, which is kind of a dumb thing to be stopped by, but here we are.
Well, a big chunk of the negative reviews seem to be from people who payed for a F2P kmmo expecting a B2P arpg... They really should have listed this as an early access game until it fully launched. EDIT: to be clear, what I mean is that the recent reviews seem spot on, but because they didn't game the system their overall rating is being drug down by buy-in regret.

If you know what you are getting into, and can tolerate the grind and the lack of optimization, then don't that be what stops you.

Reicere fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 13, 2016

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

Reicere posted:

Well, a big chunk of the negative reviews seem to be from people who payed for a F2P kmmo expecting a B2P arpg... They really should have listed this as an early access game until it fully launched. EDIT: to be clear, what I mean is that the recent reviews seem spot on, but because they didn't game the system their overall rating is being drug down by buy-in regret.

If you know what you are getting into, and can tolerate the grind and the lack of optimization, then don't that be what stops you.

Right on, it sounds like a thing I might be able to work with. I'll try it out tomorrow probably if I can end up tearing myself away from some other games.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
Is Squire worthwhile as a support class? Poking around I can't tell if their whole gimmick of a base camp is worth it or not. Similarly, if it's worth putting more than one point into since it seems to only lengthen the time it lasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Downloading this game now. Can someone explain the class system to me like I'm stupid? The OP confused me.

• Locked thread