Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

"And little Hurly Burly gave my anus Curly Wurly..."
- Manfred Mann

This is a bruce springsteen song and was way better when the boss did it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Ah drat, Australian motoring journalist Bill Tuckey has passed away. Not a huge news thing, but I did enjoy his articles and books

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/07/veteran-motoring-writer-bill-tuckey-dies/

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

nm posted:

This is a bruce springsteen song and was way better when the boss did it. :colbert:

This is true for any song the boss performed first. :colbert:

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Linus Torvalds parked next to me at the grocery store.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Linus Torvalds is a bush? I KNEW IT!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

nm posted:

This is true, but His Bruceness didn't sing it like he had a mouthful of marbles. Therefore I associate the 'anus' quote with Mr Mann.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775698

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

Linus Torvalds parked next to me at the grocery store.

Somehow you've managed to snap a shot of him that's even more insufferable than ever. Good job!

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

:fap: YESSSSS

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

Ah drat, Australian motoring journalist Bill Tuckey has passed away. Not a huge news thing, but I did enjoy his articles and books

http://www.speedcafe.com/2016/05/07/veteran-motoring-writer-bill-tuckey-dies/

The Great Race books were superb but frankly Romsey Quints was by far the best thing he ever did and more than made up for the rest of the volumes of poo poo he otherwise wrote.

quote:

Somehow you've managed to snap a shot of him that's even more insufferable than ever. Good job!

He does not suffer idiots and the flames he spews quite rightly at them are a joy to behold.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 12, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sub and scribed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrXn2sq_uEI&t=58s

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Four years ago today my car's transmission blew up and led to the creation of my threads and subsequent forums superstar status

jesus it's been a while

edit: i just realized i must have made the threads way after the trans blowing up.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Most depressing job interview ever.

The good: Job looks fun and challenging, I'm perfectly qualified for it without being overqualified. The product is cool. No dress code.

The bad:
No bonuses ever
No 401k
No vacation to start, 2 weeks max
Terrible pay. Pays $25,000 a year less than my last job. They're seriously way behind the market in terms of salary.
30 minute commute in good traffic, which probably means 60 minute commute in Denver rush hour traffic.

The place has all the earmarks of an owner who is a huge cheapskate. He either doesn't make a profit or keeps all the profit for himself. Either way it's bad news. They only have 2 ME's right now and from the volume and variety of work they're doing it looks to me like these guys are way overworked. The HR guy (who is in upper management) didn't know the company's annual revenue. The lobby is wide open, and in spite of tons of extra space is filled with cramped 6x6 cubicles, most of which are unoccupied and filled with storage boxes and garbage. There is garbage all over the entrance area (boxes and packing materials, and disassembled product) and the lights were all out, taking what could be an impressive entry and turning it in to a depressing ghost town feel. Also I interviewed at this company 10 years ago and it was worse back then.

The saddest part is that if they offer it to me I'll take it as it'd be my first offer in 9 months and I'm making negative dollars right now. And I might not get it, they also confirmed that the market is flooded and they had hundreds of applicants.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

LloydDobler posted:

And I might not get it, they also confirmed lied and told you that the market is flooded and they had hundreds of applicants.

Just as likely to be correct this way.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Accepting one job doesn't mean you can't keep looking for something better and at least you'll have some cash

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Ether Frenzy posted:

We love to ask candidates to explain some random coding challenge in front of a group of 5 of us and I always feel so drat bad for these poor bastards because that's hard poo poo right there. Most of the time in reality the answer is "Uh, let me research it for an hour and I'll then fix it without explaining it" and they've got to do the direct opposite in front of a bunch of critical and smug engineers and systems architects who all have their own preferred method for doing something that could satisfactorily be done 4 different ways. If you don't feel like a terrible coder after every interview, you're not trying for challenging enough positions.

Agreed and I think that goes for most jobs, not just coding. At least, it goes if you're trying to push yourself and get something where you'll be able to learn and grow over the course of years.

Funny story for the job hunters, early in my IT career I applied for a position with a gaming developer that makes adventure games for the Playstation. The ad listed it as "system admin with light script work". The interview started well, I solved their puzzles (like psuedo coding the Fibonacci sequence), had a good lunch with them and seemed to fit in... Only to get chewed out by the CEO at the end because the sample script I had given them was one someone else had started that I then took and modified up and down to fit my needs. He had it in his head that it should be from scratch (even though that wasn't specified as a requirement) and was spergy about it even though the script part was only something like 10% of the job. At the end I just stared at him and said "uhhh, it sounds like you want a programmer not a systems administrator" :haw:.

Good luck guys! :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

freelop posted:

Accepting one job doesn't mean you can't keep looking for something better and at least you'll have some cash

Also, it is a million times easier to get a job when you have a job.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

keykey posted:

idgi. do you have a problem with the photo or his yellow slk 32?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Linus is a noted douchebag and insufferable shithead but I'm not sure what that post meant either

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tusen Takk posted:

Linus is a noted douchebag and insufferable shithead but I'm not sure what that post meant either

And I wouldn't want him to be any different. The world is full of mealy-mouthed wishy-washy consensus-seekers, but Linus calls bullshit when he sees bullshit, instead of trying to just smooth it over.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The Locator posted:

Just as likely to be correct this way.

I mean I've been hearing it from everywhere I apply. Maybe it's a tactic but somehow I doubt it.

freelop posted:

nm posted:

Also, it is a million times easier to get a job when you have a job.

Oh of course, that's my plan. I'm just irritated at the situation. I'm still accustomed to small family companies where longevity is valued so it "feels" wrong to use them and bail, even though I know that they'd do the same to me without hesitation and loyalty is a worthless commodity in the 21st century United States. I've only had 4 jobs, and while one was a 2 year stint, the others were 11, 7, and 7.

Sorry all I do is bitch lately guys, i'll tone it down.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Take the job, turn the company around and perform a bloody coup. Then give yourself a raise.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
It's all good man, bitching's 50% of the point of this thread.

Cakefool posted:

Take the job, turn the company around and perform a bloody coup. Then give yourself a raise.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

Stop posting utter crap. Linus is in fact quite a good guy to know and is drat good at his job. Oh booo loving hoo, he calls out idiot and guts them. Well that just happens to be GOOD. If someone does something that breaks Linux, there's a whoooole fuckload of systems that can go extremely wrong and frankly he gives people a lot of chances before he hauls them across the coals. Plus Linus isnt on a religious OSS crusade, he just wants to get the job done... which is a drat sight more than could be said about the fools who are critical of him like in the SFC - Karen Sandler, who basically made GNOME foundation bankrupt with her misguided gender politics. You should look that up, that is a true clustefuck of stupid. So stupid that when she tried to get on the Linux Foundation, the big players went No loving Way and made sure she would never get a seat. Oh then Matthew Garrett, someone who was correctly torched by Linus for being a clueless idiot over dipshit ideas about UEFI jumps up and down claiming to be a victim.

And Garrett continues to be a lying fuckwit about the situation and anything to do with Linus ever since.

If you get gutted by Linus, then you absolutly, completely and utterly deserved it. As I said, he is in fact quite a good guy who simply does not suffer stupidity.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I think we've had Linus chat before so I'll gb2y with my Linpinions

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
I am obsessed with this 35 year old car infamous for its build quality, with no A/C, and with obvious rust on a monocoque body. However, it's less than 4' feet tall, is about as long as my current car's wheelbase, and is ME/RWD. I don't know why I'm counting these as a positives considering I'm 6'3, but I love these tiny, hideous, wedge cars (like the 914/6) for reasons that are beyond me

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/5542215376.html

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tusen Takk posted:

I think we've had Linus chat before so I'll gb2y with my Linpinions

Dont repeat the known lies of loving idiots is all I'm saying.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

So we mistakenly ordered 2,000,000' of 10,000" reels of fiber instead of 200,000'. :stare:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Super Aggro Crag posted:

So we mistakenly ordered 2,000,000' of 10,000" reels of fiber instead of 200,000'. :stare:

Cool, just run some fiber to me in Ohio.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

The Door Frame posted:

I am obsessed with this 35 year old car infamous for its build quality, with no A/C, and with obvious rust on a monocoque body. However, it's less than 4' feet tall, is about as long as my current car's wheelbase, and is ME/RWD. I don't know why I'm counting these as a positives considering I'm 6'3, but I love these tiny, hideous, wedge cars (like the 914/6) for reasons that are beyond me

My dad had one:

Apart from the Italian body rust, the clutch was heavy, the power windows didn't and the tacho went the wrong way round; it was kind of fun.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Stock form, the truth is they are loving awful even for their day. The positives are a rorty exhaust noise and quite direct steering.

What they are glorious for is they respond impossibly well to mods. I had a go in one that had a Lancia Beta 2 litre shoved in the back with a Lancia 5 speed, some suspesion mods and bigger brakes - now i think about it, in all honestly time has redefined "fast" where I have a road car that would smash it stupid but for the late 80's it was a firecracker.

Anyway, it's a good base to build up something.

Derail : Kinda funny to look back and think a high 14's / low 15's car was called stupid fast (which is was when the average V8 was doing 16's) when only a handful of years later the WRX appeared and you had that kind of speed stock.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Just noticed this today but why do some people have the grenade logo next to their usernames on the app and some don't?

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Just noticed this today but why do some people have the grenade logo next to their usernames on the app and some don't?

plat.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

meatpimp posted:

Cool, just run some fiber to me in Ohio.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I bought an av because boredom at work.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

At least you'll have spares.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Platinum, tells you if they can PM.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

blk posted:

idgi. do you have a problem with the photo or his yellow slk 32?

I had to Google Linus Torvalds car. I was greeted by a yellow slk with a license plate of "dad of3" which is perfectly fine that he takes pride in his kids.. Then I saw his license plate frame which read "MR. LINUX KING OF GEEKS." :allears:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Derail : Kinda funny to look back and think a high 14's / low 15's car was called stupid fast (which is was when the average V8 was doing 16's) when only a handful of years later the WRX appeared and you had that kind of speed stock.

Oh yeah, definitely. When I was a kid, my dad bought a new '94 Camaro Z28 and that thing ran mid 14's. Seemed like a drat rocketship at the time.

22 years later, his last three daily drivers have been 12-second cars. The current one got there with nothing more than a tune (which mostly just makes the DBW open the throttle all the way!) and some slicks for the strip.

And he complains about getting sub-10k miles out of his rear tires.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

spog posted:

My dad had one:

Apart from the Italian body rust, the clutch was heavy, the power windows didn't and the tacho went the wrong way round; it was kind of fun.

Panel rust doesn't bother me too much on modern cars, but this is like a demonic unibody that uses the body panels for structural strength in accidents. Other than that, I love most of the weird jank that comes with cars being daily driven and actually used

I learned to drive in (and later owned) a van with no working gauges, an auto transmission that was terrified of second gear, an electrical system that sometimes had to have the battery pulled to turn the car off, and a suspension so out of alignment that you had to constantly turn the wheel to drive straight. My current car can't be fueled up without opening the trunk and removing the fuel door lock from behind the carpeting, after replacing the failing water pump, the thermostat housing is now hemorrhaging coolant even though it's torqued up and the gasket is still in good shape, and the driver's side door only locks and unlocks from the outside, but the lock cylinder hates the key.

I always heard the old joke, "How do you get replacement parts for your Fiat? Follow another one on the highway and pick up what falls off their car:classiclol:" so I assumed Fiats had Jaguar reliability and you'll need a towtruck to make sure your car gets home every time it leaves. But if all I'm fighting is gremlins in systems I intend on replacing anyways, I am totally on board with this T-top abomination. Plus, smaller Honda B-series are supposed to be "babby's first cross manufacturer engine swap" levels of simplicity with these guys to replace their... less than desirable stock engines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

LloydDobler posted:

Most depressing job interview ever.

The good: Job looks fun and challenging, I'm perfectly qualified for it without being overqualified. The product is cool. No dress code.

The bad:
No bonuses ever
No 401k
No vacation to start, 2 weeks max
Terrible pay. Pays $25,000 a year less than my last job. They're seriously way behind the market in terms of salary.
30 minute commute in good traffic, which probably means 60 minute commute in Denver rush hour traffic.

The place has all the earmarks of an owner who is a huge cheapskate. He either doesn't make a profit or keeps all the profit for himself. Either way it's bad news. They only have 2 ME's right now and from the volume and variety of work they're doing it looks to me like these guys are way overworked. The HR guy (who is in upper management) didn't know the company's annual revenue. The lobby is wide open, and in spite of tons of extra space is filled with cramped 6x6 cubicles, most of which are unoccupied and filled with storage boxes and garbage. There is garbage all over the entrance area (boxes and packing materials, and disassembled product) and the lights were all out, taking what could be an impressive entry and turning it in to a depressing ghost town feel. Also I interviewed at this company 10 years ago and it was worse back then.

The saddest part is that if they offer it to me I'll take it as it'd be my first offer in 9 months and I'm making negative dollars right now. And I might not get it, they also confirmed that the market is flooded and they had hundreds of applicants.

Ugh that sucks, but on the bright side it will be paying work!

My favorite thing lately is companies sitting on my application and not doing anything with it or telling me anything when they've had a position advertised for months now.

• Locked thread