Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I've only made it to the 4th floor a handful of times, but I've been watching a speedrunner and picked up a lot of tips, some painfully obvious like defeating a boss without getting hit gives you an extra heart and you get 2 blanks at the start of each floor so don't save blanks while fighting bosses. Just getting out of the habit of rarely ever using blanks is tough though.

Also you can hide in doorways on some bosses annoying attacks like when Cannonbalrog and the Priest go dark. I also learned a lot of weapons I thought were terrible can be great against bosses.

Now if they would just patch the ps4 version so ammo drops correctly so I can play again :smith:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I'll admit that despite my general incompetence and 150+ deaths I'm slowly coming around to the design decisions I see here. I don't cheat myself extra keys and honestly I do fine more often than not so long as I get an ok weapon in the first floor, when you get smart about key usage you can still amass quite the arsenal as the game goes on. I don't know if I want to see the game made significantly less difficult, my chief complaint is the no hit requirement from bosses to get health upgrades and I think that I would accept most of the system they have in place now so long as armor did not count against the no hit requirement.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
As someone who doesn't play bullet hell games, it took me a long time to kill the Dragun at first, but once I did, I felt like I had a good handle on the game, and subsequent runs through the Dragun have been no big deal.

But then there's nerds like this guy. He doesn't even record the description separately; he just knows he's about to flawless that bitch, he doesn't even need to concentrate.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
What's up with the rooms that's 7 bulletkin graves?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Brannock posted:

Beat the first floor secret level and get the special piece of armor from that level and bring it to the room you mentioned without getting hit to get the next secret floor.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Brannock posted:

On the first floor, find the room with the fireplace, extinguish it with a blue water barrel or a suitable gun, walk inside the fireplace and activate the back wall to open a new room with a trapdoor that requires two keys to unlock. This'll take you to a sewer level with a Crest hidden somewhere that acts like an armour. if you interact with the small shrine behind those graves you're talking about on the next floor you'll open another hidden level.

If you get hit after picking up the armour you'll drop it, so you're best off clearing the sewer entirely before picking it up and proceeding to floor 2.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Thank you.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The boss is also probably the hardest in the game considering how early you face him.

Re: fw: re: difficulty: it's honestly not that hard going for normal dragun/past kills once you get the basics down. You can go hog wild from level 2 on with weapons and be fine for ammo 95% of the time. There are a few tricks and room/boss strategies and some weapons are much better than they seem at first glance but it's mostly just getting to the point where you can spend almost all of your casings on items/keys (as in get hit less than the usual heart/armor drops per level).

Floor 6 and the boss require you to get loving good or lean a bit on the rng, mostly because the rooms can be brutal and will wear you down.

I would like to see the drops normalized a bit, it's dumb how you can end floor 1 with 40-80 casings and 2-8 keys. This is excluding super rare drops like gold casings.

Ammo drops could also be normalized a bit, you shouldn't be able to go multiple floors without one. They also shouldn't be common enough that you can use the same gun all the time, half the fun is rotating and getting the most out of your arsenal.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Thor-Stryker posted:

That's great broski, we're not all Gradius masters with the sperg-like focus that surpasses Tibetan Buddhists. This game is legit hard for normal people who aren't studying up invincibility frames and the patience to starter-pistol three different bosses for five minutes each.

That's why people want an easier game because it could be more fun for everyone rather than the elite few who could just play in a hardmode whilst writing their 100page thesis.

I'm actually trash at most bullet hell/shooter games and munch quarters in those cases- I legit have no idea what you're talking about. The game is hard, but once you know what's coming it's just kind of simple to survive.

If I can give one piece of advice that helped me out is don't dodge roll unless you absolutely have to. Like you're going to take damage and it's a last resort have to. Dodge rolling takes control away from you and launches you in a direction that you don't have much control over outside direction wise, always try to walk between the bullets and keep a level head- bullet kings big rotation attack (meduzi has the same attack) is great practice for it. I saw a handful of videos of players just spamming the ever loving gently caress out of the dodgeroll and flipping into bullets and it's just making the game harder on yourself if you do that.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
I'm bad at the game but I like the difficulty. That's why it's a Rogue-like. I was mega bad at DCSS and I still am but that's the appeal of Roguelikes and Roge-lites.

It's hard but it isn't impossible. I've never beaten the Dragun but I will, I play to have fun and not to be a completionist or something.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I wonder if it's intentional or not that the Raiden Coil ignores the skulls on both the High Priest and the Dragun fights. You'd think it'd be like the absolute best at clearing them.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Fastest run for me so far:

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

Kuros posted:

Fastest run for me so far:

I had a run with a floor 1 gunther that ended (badly) around that time at lich, that gun is pretty much a broken isaac run in one pickup.

I never realized this over almost a 100 runs, but out of the 2 guaranteed chests each level, one contains a gun and the other an active/passive item :downs: This could actually make browns worth opening with a key if you know it's not going to be a gun because there's a ton of good items at lower tiers.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Zodack posted:

I'm bad at the game but I like the difficulty. That's why it's a Rogue-like. I was mega bad at DCSS and I still am but that's the appeal of Roguelikes and Roge-lites.

It's hard but it isn't impossible. I've never beaten the Dragun but I will, I play to have fun and not to be a completionist or something.

You'll get there! Double Vision and/or am invincibility item helps a lot, though.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Klaus Kinski posted:

I never realized this over almost a 100 runs, but out of the 2 guaranteed chests each level, one contains a gun and the other an active/passive item :downs: This could actually make browns worth opening with a key if you know it's not going to be a gun because there's a ton of good items at lower tiers.

This is news to me and I've done many more than 100 runs

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If this game is hard you might be like me and playing with a kb+mouse and focusing too much on the shooting. Later levels and bosses you cant really be focusing on shooting the boss at all. Pickup a control, turn autoaim all the way up, and focus on not getting hit. Which is embarrassingly easy leading up to the first boss.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Klaus Kinski posted:

I had a run with a floor 1 gunther that ended (badly) around that time at lich, that gun is pretty much a broken isaac run in one pickup.

browns are worth it because the sling is An Item alone.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Gamerofthegame posted:

browns are worth it because the sling is An Item alone.

Counterpoint, I don't cheat and there just aren't enough keys.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Everytime I have to open a brown to get an additional gun it seems to be a Sawed-off, Klobbe, Unfinished gun or lowercase r.

don't anyone try to defend these weapons, they suck!

Mailgun and Sling make up for it though.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
How do I get to chamber 6? I've killed my past with the pilot and the hunter. Can't seem to nail it with the marine though.

Also I don't get how people want a flawless reward when they were not without flaw.

I am getting really tired of flawlessing the oubliette and not getting anything for it. Granted the boss is easy, but I wish there was some reward for doing it. I haven't gotten the crest to the crypt yet though.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Sigma-X posted:

How do I get to chamber 6? I've killed my past with the pilot and the hunter. Can't seem to nail it with the marine though.

Also I don't get how people want a flawless reward when they were not without flaw.

I am getting really tired of flawlessing the oubliette and not getting anything for it. Granted the boss is easy, but I wish there was some reward for doing it. I haven't gotten the crest to the crypt yet though.

You have to beat the past with the 4 main characters to get to chamber 6.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Wow the scrambler completely wrecks bosses

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The scrambler pretty much wrecks everything.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

If any guns get moved up a tier of chests like the Fightsabre was, I think the top candidates are Stinger/Scrambler/Sling. They're all so good compared to the other stuff at their respective levels.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
The flawless reward probably shouldn't be a heart container. That's discouraging - you desperately need it when You're Bad, but then you'll gently caress it up too often.

Maybe it should be like cursed items, something with increased risk&reward value.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Double Vision, heart containers, potions, cigs, the scope, and ammo belt/backpack are brown-tier items. They're not bad to pop open.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 13, 2016

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Eela6 posted:

You'll get there! Double Vision and/or am invincibility item helps a lot, though.

Yeah, that's the fun part. Double Vision Bullet Bore + shoot a bunch on active item passive thing (forget what it's called) worked really well last time, but I screwed up during his final phase thanks to the aforementioned move speed++ and dodge+ making one of my dodges way too long, haha.

It's fun just trying. That's why Rogues are fun. Beating them feels good, not inevitable.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Shima Honnou posted:

Double Vision, heart containers, potions, cigs, the scope, and ammo belt/backpack are brown-tier items. They're not bad to pop open.

If you smoke the cigarettes a few times for the bonus and then drop them for a different active item does the bonus still stick? I did that once when I got them off a boss and there was a bunch of health lying around so I thought I might have been a bit too clever for my own good.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

khwarezm posted:

If you smoke the cigarettes a few times for the bonus and then drop them for a different active item does the bonus still stick? I did that once when I got them off a boss and there was a bunch of health lying around so I thought I might have been a bit too clever for my own good.

Using cigarettes just gives you a bonus to your hidden coolness stat while dealing a point of damage to you, you can drop it afterwards and the boost will stick until your run ends.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Any tips for avoiding Gatling Gull's chaingun? Bullet king and the twins are easy but he always seems to pop a bullet out exactly where you're trying to run to and it always messes me up.

I also flawlessed Treadnaught the other day with the combination of slower bullets and a speed up. Made an otherwise difficult fight really easy!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

frozenpeas posted:

Any tips for avoiding Gatling Gull's chaingun? Bullet king and the twins are easy but he always seems to pop a bullet out exactly where you're trying to run to and it always messes me up.

I also flawlessed Treadnaught the other day with the combination of slower bullets and a speed up. Made an otherwise difficult fight really easy!

try to keep as much distance as you can, as the bullets come from the tip of the chaingun rather than the center of the gull which makes dodging more difficult. a side effect of that is that when it turns along its 8 orientations, the origin point and widest angle of fire for the bullets changes dramatically, so you should be dodge rolling right as the gull switches directions each time to successfully avoid the first bullet from each new facing.

so like if gatling gull is facing west and you're running clockwise to avoid its attack, you want to dodge roll right as gull switches to northwest facing to dodge the first few bullets that happen after that.

Papal Infallibility
May 7, 2008

Stay Down Champion Stay Down

Einwand posted:

Using cigarettes just gives you a bonus to your hidden coolness stat while dealing a point of damage to you, you can drop it afterwards and the boost will stick until your run ends.

Also it is worth pointing out that coolness doesn't just affect active item cooldown but drop rates as well, so high coolness makes clearing floors much more profitable. Regarding brown chests, my general rule is that if I'm on the first floor I will open both chests even if they're both brown and that on subsequent floors I will open brown chests if I will still have a leftover key OR I don't have a gun I like to use against bosses.

Now that I've killed all of the pasts, I tried my first blessed run last night. It was fun, though I got completely boned in the Forge by being stuck in a room with two of those blue fireball things armed with... a Molotov Launcher.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Sigma-X posted:

I don't get how you can post on an internet discussion forum for 11 years and have such bad reading comprehension.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
There's a hilarious bug with air strike, you can just keep mashing and it keeps exploding for a long while, almost recharging itself.

Can you do elevator turn ins in a blessed run?

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 13, 2016

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

frozenpeas posted:

Ha ha, really? Gull is the easiest for me and Bullet King always manages to knick me, the fucker.

Gull's gatling will spray out bullets, obviously, but one is always going to be ahead of you, roughly where you're going. Just watch out for that one, stop a moment and move around it. When he shoots missiles just stand still and wail on him, only moving when you need to. Missiles land where you are and where you're going.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
God drat, first run where I get to Dragun I flawless every boss that gives the health bullet, including Dragun, and of course I fall off going up to the gun that kills the past

Nalesh fucked around with this message at 16:29 on May 13, 2016

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
But you take no damage there. Debunked!

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

frozenpeas posted:

Gatling Gull's the easiest for me unless it's in the dumb room with the water pits. Stay as far away as possible, circle counterclockwise leading him to the center of the room while staying inside of the furthest bullet to the right on his spray (clockwise/left probably works too, but the other way is more natural for me) since he won't ever fire two shots that end right next to each other and you're probably not outrunning the outside-most shot without committing to a dodge roll.

As long as you're not in a corner (blank and run towards the center if you are) it's easy once you get used to it. fwiw I think Bullet Twins are the worst on the first floor just because they can move apart and summon offscreen bulletkin which is way more randomness than the other ones have. Unless you're playing Convict, in which case molotoving them both makes it trivial.

FrickenMoron posted:

But you take no damage there. Debunked!

The first time I beat Dragun I had half a heart at the end and took like thirty seconds setting up each jump because I didn't know this and was terrified I'd screw it up.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Power of Pecota posted:

fwiw I think Bullet Twins are the worst on the first floor just because they can move apart and summon offscreen bulletkin which is way more randomness than the other ones have. Unless you're playing Convict, in which case molotoving them both makes it trivial.

Agreed. Bullet King and Gatling Gull can sometimes be assholes with their patterns, buy neither of them compare to Smiley "spend the entire fight summoning Bullet Kin offscreen like an rear end in a top hat" Bullet and Slick "move directly away from Smiley and shoot or charge at you from just offscreen whenever possible" Bullet. I hate those guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

I got to forge for the first time thanks to my turtle shell buddy! Hooray!

I lost three hearts to a platforming room with a giant hammer.

WHY IS THERE A GIANT HAMMER