Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Any tips on Defeating Demogorgon would be appreciated. Is he immune to +4 weapons?

Party make up
CharName Fighter/Thief
Imoen
Minsc
Anomen
Jaheira
Keldorn

I'm pretty decked out in terms of weapons, but this motherfucker casts Time Stop then brutally murderers everyone with a gaze.

edit:

Apparently if you cast time stop he fucks your poo poo up

Get every melee character you have on him, pop whirlwind with them, and beat him down as fast as possible. Ignore his summons. He'll just keep summoning more and more, so the fight is really all about dpsing him down asap. I can't remember if he dispels but if not death ward should protect you against his gaze I would think, and if not if you can find some potions of mirrored eyes I believe those would work also.

e: Got SCS working and playing on Core Rules. Decided to opt against allowing enemies short term prebuffing since that would just turn the game into me having to hulk up before every single caster fight and probably have to cheese to get rid of their protections and that's boring so just gave them the improved AI instead.

Rolling with:

Cavalier
Jaheira
Khalid
Imoen
Viconia
Neera

Tempted to replace Vicky with Rasaad since I haven't used him before but undecided. I could just have Khalid die but that feels cheesy to me so I don't usually do that. He's not all that bad anyways properly geared out.

Can't wait to have my Cavalier kitted out with fire prot ring/helm of defense and spider's bane though. Tard in, spam web/fireball, profit.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Ginette Reno posted:

Get every melee character you have on him, pop whirlwind with them, and beat him down as fast as possible. Ignore his summons. He'll just keep summoning more and more, so the fight is really all about dpsing him down asap. I can't remember if he dispels but if not death ward should protect you against his gaze I would think, and if not if you can find some potions of mirrored eyes I believe those would work also.

I don't know he's getting things like dire charm etc.. I need to buff up vs fire , Magic Resistance etc.. Looks like he does blunting damage.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I don't know he's getting things like dire charm etc.. I need to buff up vs fire , Magic Resistance etc.. Looks like he does blunting damage.

Really you just have to get your melee in range of him and pop whirlwind and he should go down very quickly. It looks like you have 5 characters that can melee and melee well so if they all pop that in concert it should be like a prison beat down.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I have Minsc and Keldorn with it along with my main
I'll try that.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Against Demogorgon, the big thing is Breach, Whirlwinds, and Improved Haste. Anyone who can make at least 4 APR before buffs should be prebuffed with Improved Haste. Anyone who can't should Whirlwind every single round. Either Anomen should summon a Deva, or Imoen should summon a Planetar to join in the fun. Watch Demogorgon for contingencies that put up PfMW, Stoneskin, Mantles, or Absolute Immunity and make sure Imoen Breaches that poo poo immediately. Ignore any enemies that aren't him until after he dies. Barring some unfortunate disaster, this should result in a total curbstomp and he won't be able to get a spell off.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I have Minsc and Keldorn with it along with my main
I'll try that.

Jaheira and Anomen can also melee pretty well with proper armor/buffs. Especially Jaheira, Ironskins is a really, really good spell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Fuuuuuuuuuuckkk I cannot beat this Demigorgon guy, maybe should wait till I am higher level. Just seriously cannot loving do nothing. Whirlwind Attacks , Greater Hastes, nothing.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Breach. He uses combat protections. Keep breaching.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Suspicious posted:

Breach. He uses combat protections. Keep breaching.

Without two casters casting breach and other dispels it's pretty hard to take down guys with protections. Pause a lot and watch the combat log, and keep hitting him with ruby ray, breach, that offensive dispel etc. Do you have a guy with use any item? Maybe go get carsomyr too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat I did not think to use Casomyr and other's that dispelled on hit. I went ahead and moved into Chapter 7 so hopefully I'll be able to go back there later.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I always just cheese him with traps.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow, that was a pretty cool loving ending and now THRONE OF BHAAL.

edit : Minsc running around with the +5 Club of Detonation and the +5 Star Mace dual wielding and whirlwind is hillllaaarrrious.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 04:17 on May 11, 2016

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

If the summons are causing you problems send in a mordenkainen's sword first to draw them away. His summons only deal physical damage so they can't kill it, and it can tank them until it expires. That should be enough time for you to beat down Demogorgon.

From memory a couple of imp. hasted planetars have enough DPS to kill him, so your five meleers should be enough assuming they're high enough level to be getting HLAs.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Valygar my sister and my girlfriend are arcane spellcasters and are standing right next to you, stop insulting magic. Also you're a Ranger and thus a divine spellcaster, get off your high horse.

Is he also like this if Charname is an arcane caster?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Yes, but cut the guy some slack, he's lived his whole life knowing his insane necromancer uncle will be coming to suck out his soul one day.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Mzbundifund posted:

Yes, but cut the guy some slack, he's lived his whole life knowing his insane necromancer uncle will be coming to suck out his soul one day.

Plus there's what happened to his parents...

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Kavak posted:

EDIT: Huh, the town criers messages change every few days. That's actually really neat, I wish more games had stuff like that tied to the clock rather than the story.

I love the subplot about a (possibly) Bhaalspawn ogre mage loving poo poo up in Tethyr.

Vichan fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 11, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vichan posted:

I love the subplot about a (possibly) Bhaalspawn ogre mage loving poo poo up in Tethyr.

Probably not Bhaalspawn. He's part of Amn's background lore and story, causing problems in Amn and Tethyr.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

what is baldur's gate 3 going to be

are we going to gently caress up some (more) gods?

e: it would be amazing to gallop through the heavens murdering gods while your clerics get weaker because the gods that give them power are dead

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Mortimer posted:

what is baldur's gate 3 going to be

are we going to gently caress up some (more) gods?

e: it would be amazing to gallop through the heavens murdering gods while your clerics get weaker because the gods that give them power are dead

From the sounds of it Baldur's Gate 3 will be either Dragonlance game 1 or Darksun game 1. I'd prefer the latter significantly.

Also the greater wolfweres on the island in BG1 are some hardcore bullshit.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Terrible Opinions posted:

From the sounds of it Baldur's Gate 3 will be either Dragonlance game 1 or Darksun game 1. I'd prefer the latter significantly.

What, really? Dark sun infinity engine game would make me so amazingly happy. But psionics are not implemented and they would have to make major changes for that so I'd say chances are slim, much more likely to see Dragonlance if you had to pick one of the two but who knows about licensing.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

I've just gone through that and it's actually kinda nice to know that other people think they're bullshit too - I assumed I was just terrible.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

What? Where is the evidence for this? A dark sun game would be incredible.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

mitochondritom posted:

What? Where is the evidence for this? A dark sun game would be incredible.

The only thing I've ever heard about it is completely rumor and speculation.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005

There's only 1 greater wolfwere on the island. Everything else can be killed with any +1 stuff.

Rahzmataz
Apr 29, 2013

Suspicious posted:

There's only 1 greater wolfwere on the island. Everything else can be killed with any +1 stuff.

I'm 100% certain that the guy that sets an ambush for you at the south of the map, Palin, was Greater Wolfwere.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
No, because I use mass arrows to feather his rear end every single time.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Suspicious posted:

Eh? One outside the town, I think there's at least two in the boat

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Also you're a Ranger and thus a divine spellcaster, get off your high horse.

Someone who works with miracles is a ton more accepted in society than people who randomly summons a bunch of shotguns because they misplaced their old one.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Only Karoug requires cold iron weapons, and Mendas and his buddy back on the mainland. Everything else can be killed by any +1 stuff. I've done this on unmodded BG1EE.

e: Even if you don't have cold iron weapons, you can still magic them to death. They're resistant, not immune.

kujeger
Feb 19, 2004

OH YES HA HA
possibly some level scaling? I certainly ran across more than one greater wolfwere on the island, and had to resort to hilarious tactics to kill them, since I had no cold iron.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I was playing on core rules and went there dead last in my ironman (check the thread!), but that was before SD came out. Enemies aren't supposed to scale in the first game.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

kujeger posted:

possibly some level scaling? I certainly ran across more than one greater wolfwere on the island, and had to resort to hilarious tactics to kill them, since I had no cold iron.

I don't remember "cold iron", is that just +2? I could do some damage to Karoug (I think mostly from Varscona) but I couldn't overcome his regen until I just had Edwin dump his whole spellbook on him.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Only Karoug requires cold iron weapons, and Mendas and his buddy back on the mainland. Everything else can be killed by any +1 stuff. I've done this on unmodded BG1EE.

e: Even if you don't have cold iron weapons, you can still magic them to death. They're resistant, not immune.

I thought that also applied to the loup garou on the escape boat.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Mendas's girlfriend is indeed labeled Loup Garou but she's just as easy to kill as any werewolf. Every time I play the game I try to see if my melee characters wielding cold iron weapons can reach her before she dies. They never do.

Anyway, yeah, sounds like Beamdog recently added some enemy scaling stuff.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Wow, it's really enjoyable to go through both of these games and get to Throne of Bhaal and just tear poo poo up. Oh are those Fire Giants? Lemme just do Whirlwind real quick.

I want to do a evil play through, should I go for Blackguard ? Or maybe something else. I played Fighter/Thief this past time around.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollismason posted:

Wow, it's really enjoyable to go through both of these games and get to Throne of Bhaal and just tear poo poo up. Oh are those Fire Giants? Lemme just do Whirlwind real quick.

I want to do a evil play through, should I go for Blackguard ? Or maybe something else. I played Fighter/Thief this past time around.

Evil Halfling barbarian can get some ridiculous saves with Defender of Easthaven and Human leather armor.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Suspicious posted:

Yeah, wands of paralyzation kill them easily.

Pierre McGuire
Oct 30, 2010
I just replayed the island recently (BG1EE) and Palin was definitely a greater wolfwere - took me a lot of tries to kill him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
This is a new change because he definitely wasn't in early January in BG1EE, or in any other version of the game. BG1 is (well, was) static as gently caress. Level 1 or 10, every encounter is the same.