Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Soulex posted:

Swimming? Great loving workout and I challenge anyone to say otherwise. Plus swimming feels better than slamming my feet in the pavement screaming about dumbass airborne soldiers jumping out of a C130 or some dude's mom being able to do PT till she was 97 then she died and is in heaven but still gently caress her cause she gave us you you oval office.

back in high school I was on swim team

had to do the mile run like a week after state championships

did that fucker in like 5:30

god I want to get back into competitive swimming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Is there a swimming variety for the PT test in the army?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Mythical

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Unless your job is to gently caress up DFAS for a living PT is one of the things that the gayness can be justified, like you wanna be strong enough to rip some Russian conscript's head off if the call came down.

That said, the PT test is a decent test for fitness for regular people but not the kind of fitness that really makes a good combat soldier. You could be 140 lbs and max the PT test, but you're probably hosed if it came down to having to actually "fight", like you know, the "army" does. It'd be like if the Olympic relay team trained to Strongmen event standards.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

SumYungGui posted:

Running PROPERLY can be a pretty intense workout with great benefits.

Getting a unicorn can also be pretty loving cool.

Out here in the real world the Army doesn't know it's dick from a stick on the ground when it comes to running and prefers to gently caress people up for the rest of their lives by grinding their joints into a nice, fine paste with the stupidest poo poo imaginable. They then slap a coat of HOOAH all over it to substitute for intelligence, or at the very least listening people who study this poo poo for a god drat living, and immediately go full shitbird on anyone who gets injured by the stupidity.

The army sucks at running because they never teach you how to properly run, my NCOIC on deployment had never ran more than 5 miles at one time (and that was only because the army forced her to) but after about 6-7 months of coaching from me she ran out shadow 10-miler and came in third for females, there were probably only like 30 females that finished but still. :patriot:

I'm not (and wasn't) a professional runner or anything like that either, I'd just read a few books/articles on running form and practice midfoot strike and proper posture.

spacetoaster posted:

I'd say wight lifting is good long term. My daily calorie requirement is a good 800 more than the small dudes. Also, it's not bad on your joints.
Running properly isn't bad for your joints.

Justin Tyme posted:

Weightlifting is a much more efficient use of time vs calories burnt anyway, not to mention it's a lot more mentally engaging and fun than running for an hour.

It's more efficient, but it also has a much lower ceiling for people new to it or not strong already, I'd say after about an hour and a half of continuous lifting at the gym most non-fitness people are probably wasting time and screwing up their ability to exercise efficiently the rest of the week. Wheras with running you can run every day for hours if you keep a proper pace and form, obviously you can't jump into running 6-8 miles a day every day from barely being able to jog 2 miles, but it's a lot quicker than progressing with weight lifting.

Also I'd say running is more mentally engaging if you have the right environment and/or music.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
I just woke up to cadence calls, put in earplugs, and slept until 1030. ETS clearing is awesome, pt sucks army sucks cadences suck.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I think we should all just take Herbalife and do Billy blanks tae bo I just solved the army obesity problem

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ace of Baes posted:

Running properly isn't bad for your joints.

Screw you dad. I guess I should be drinking more water too?

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
12:04 pm, drive thru at Burger King wrapped
around the parking lot three times.
In each car, one sad fat NCO

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yo some real bad poo poo just came to my attention. Like real bad.

I had been wondering where my friend has been at for the past month and figured she jus peaced and went to Hawaii without saying goodbye. Then I get old she's in rehab. Then I see her today and she tells me why. She was at an in patient clinic for suicide attempts and just got out. She's also finally getting medboarded for PTSD. People said rehab cause she decided to get off her meds while she was there.

When she told me she was suicidal I called her an idiot for not calling me. She said that she felt really bad despite being a friend of the family because she went to our commander and told her about it and when she was asked if she felt ok now she replied "I still don't feel like me yet." To which our commander laughed. Same with our 1SG who told her to call the suicide hotline instead of talking when she reached out for help. Our other command neglects her and actually told me to tell them if she asks me anything on how to get or get through a medboard cause they want to chapter her. They haven't even checked up with her after her suicide attempt. I feel her pain, I'm in the spotlight too and have to dance the monkey dance of senior leaders looking for a reason to gently caress someone up. Until she told me why.

Her uncle hit her in the head with a pipe, raped her and came inside her.

Despite the fact that she's a lesbian or bi or whatever, that's really really hosed up. I asked if he was near us and she said no, but her son was staying with her mom who also is housing the uncle of the year. She brought this up with our command and was told "well you shouldn't have sent him to your mom." Luckily her wife went the gently caress off on them, like she had planned this poo poo all along.

From here on out, I'm doing everything I can to loving do nothing and gently caress this unit over. She's going to WTU thankfully and I'll be getting my results of my PEB appeal soon which means I'll be clearing hopefully within a month. Regardless, I'm literally fuckin shaking I'm so goddamn mad. At her uncle, who Id like to have a conversation with. And with my command for assuming that a problem soldier only wants to create problems and tries to chapter her for byllshit instead digging down deep and figuring out what's really going on and dropping the loving ball when it lands at their feet.

gently caress people like this in command.

Mustang. You're new to the military so I plead to you that you at least talk to soldiers having issues instead of sweeping them under the rug as it seems my command is wont to do. It's poo poo like this that causes pain for a life time.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Yo some real bad poo poo just came to my attention. Like real bad.

I had been wondering where my friend has been at for the past month and figured she jus peaced and went to Hawaii without saying goodbye. Then I get old she's in rehab. Then I see her today and she tells me why. She was at an in patient clinic for suicide attempts and just got out. She's also finally getting medboarded for PTSD. People said rehab cause she decided to get off her meds while she was there.

When she told me she was suicidal I called her an idiot for not calling me. She said that she felt really bad despite being a friend of the family because she went to our commander and told her about it and when she was asked if she felt ok now she replied "I still don't feel like me yet." To which our commander laughed. Same with our 1SG who told her to call the suicide hotline instead of talking when she reached out for help. Our other command neglects her and actually told me to tell them if she asks me anything on how to get or get through a medboard cause they want to chapter her. They haven't even checked up with her after her suicide attempt. I feel her pain, I'm in the spotlight too and have to dance the monkey dance of senior leaders looking for a reason to gently caress someone up. Until she told me why.

Her uncle hit her in the head with a pipe, raped her and came inside her.

Despite the fact that she's a lesbian or bi or whatever, that's really really hosed up. I asked if he was near us and she said no, but her son was staying with her mom who also is housing the uncle of the year. She brought this up with our command and was told "well you shouldn't have sent him to your mom." Luckily her wife went the gently caress off on them, like she had planned this poo poo all along.

From here on out, I'm doing everything I can to loving do nothing and gently caress this unit over. She's going to WTU thankfully and I'll be getting my results of my PEB appeal soon which means I'll be clearing hopefully within a month. Regardless, I'm literally fuckin shaking I'm so goddamn mad. At her uncle, who Id like to have a conversation with. And with my command for assuming that a problem soldier only wants to create problems and tries to chapter her for byllshit instead digging down deep and figuring out what's really going on and dropping the loving ball when it lands at their feet.

gently caress people like this in command.

Mustang. You're new to the military so I plead to you that you at least talk to soldiers having issues instead of sweeping them under the rug as it seems my command is wont to do. It's poo poo like this that causes pain for a life time.

Two things.

1. Go to JAG. Just call down there and make an appointment. Tell the lawyer about your supervisors looking for reasons to do bad stuff and tell them you just want to make sure you're in the right and being protected.

2. Go to the IG. Call down and make an appointment to speak with an IG. Tell them you believe Army policy/regulation is being ignored/violated pertaining to sexual assault and suicide prevention. Explain the sexual assault/suicide stuff/looking for loopholes. Also remember, IG doesn't care about emotions and feelings. They care about policy/regulation being violated.

Sounds to me like your CoC is violating quite a bit of regulation. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_20.pdf

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 12, 2016

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

Two things.

1. Go to JAG. Just call down there and make an appointment. Tell the lawyer about your supervisors looking for reasons to do bad stuff and tell them you just want to make sure you're in the right and being protected.

2. Go to the IG. Call down and make an appointment to speak with an IG. Tell them you believe Army policy/regulation is being ignored/violated pertaining to sexual assault and suicide prevention. Explain the sexual assault/suicide stuff/looking for loopholes. Also remember, IG doesn't care about emotions and feelings. They care about policy/regulation being violated.

Sounds to me like your CoC is violating quite a bit of regulation. http://www.apd.army.mil/pdffiles/r600_20.pdf

Thanks for pointing the reg out. That's what IG said last time, that FM doesn't mean poo poo and it's a "guideline" when I talked to them about some other stuff.

I plan on going to legal today regardless, but I'll bring this up. The main thing is I need to tell her that she needs to go and do this too, because if not it's just he says she says. I need proof to protect my claim.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Soulex posted:

Thanks for pointing the reg out. That's what IG said last time, that FM doesn't mean poo poo and it's a "guideline" when I talked to them about some other stuff.

I plan on going to legal today regardless, but I'll bring this up. The main thing is I need to tell her that she needs to go and do this too, because if not it's just he says she says. I need proof to protect my claim.

I also know that regulation (at least last year) protected sexual assault victims from negative actions. I remember because people were flipping out about how it could be abused. For example: troop is a dirtbag and about to be punished/chaptered claims a sexual assault and gets out of trouble. No evidence needed.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

spacetoaster posted:

I also know that regulation (at least last year) protected sexual assault victims from negative actions. I remember because people were flipping out about how it could be abused. For example: troop is a dirtbag and about to be punished/chaptered claims a sexual assault and gets out of trouble. No evidence needed.

I've seen it happen before to be honest but it's a rarity.

Really, I just want to get out of this unit ASAP. I don't know how long it takes after my PEB appeal to get my orders but I hope it's loving quick.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

I've seen it happen before to be honest but it's a rarity.

Really, I just want to get out of this unit ASAP. I don't know how long it takes after my PEB appeal to get my orders but I hope it's loving quick.

When you're all finished up with everything PEB/MEB wise you're generally given a minimum 90 days to clear post/army and take ETS leave.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

When you're all finished up with everything PEB/MEB wise you're generally given a minimum 90 days to clear post/army and take ETS leave.

I thought there was a small window of time where you wait for your orders and all that. You need orders to clear CIF right?

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

spacetoaster posted:

Screw you dad. I guess I should be drinking more water too?

You probably should...water is good for you and I think youve been in the army like 10+ years so chances are youre an alcoholic.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Soulex posted:

I thought there was a small window of time where you wait for your orders and all that. You need orders to clear CIF right?

There is a short period of time while waiting on orders, but it doesn't take long at all. You can tell the people at CIF you're waiting on orders and bring some MEB paperwork to prove you need to clear. You're PEBLO will assist you in getting started on your orders and help explain what you need to do once the PEB/MEB is done, but if you're almost finished start turning in your gear early

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ace of Baes posted:

You probably should...water is good for you and I think youve been in the army like 10+ years so chances are youre an alcoholic.

I have an appointment with a therapist next week to deal with my violent rage. Self medication til then. :colbert:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
running is actually pretty useful when someone is shooting at you and you need to get in cover, so having a modicum of ability to leg it is kinda important

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

running is actually pretty useful when someone is shooting at you and you need to get in cover, so having a modicum of ability to leg it is kinda important

Also, not being a fatbody and being able to take cover behind smaller objects is good too

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

but running hurts my joints!!!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

that's what zonk drills are for duh

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

What are you cowards talking about running to cover for? You run towards the enemy. Duh.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
like hey i get that most of you are/were basically glorified officer workers or whatever, but the idea that running isnt important for a soldier to do is pretty funny

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Be able to walk around for a long time, and able to sprint short distances and up things like stairs while wearing a vest. Be able to carry 50-75 pounds regularly, and be able to lift 150+ on occasion. Endurance > strength.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Can't run in a tank, silly crunchies.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I run cables all the time.

Just kidding, I don't even do that.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Soulex posted:

Your COC can provide an memo stating that you are pending med board and need to turn in your gear. No orders are needed to do a turn in to CIF, only memo from command. We did a bunch of them right before I got out for people that were waiting on orders.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Soulex posted:

I'm not big enough of an rear end in a top hat to just sweep someones problems under the rug and pretend they don't exist. Hopefully my squadron is a pretty good unit and from a few people I've talked to it doesn't sound like a bad one. I think I've got a good 3 or 4 months before I get a platoon judging by how long it took my sponsor to get one.

Also looks like I might be going to Malaysia and Thailand this summer.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Ground forces these days have more in common with NFL players than anything else. There are certain baselines you need* in order to perform under the kinds of combat loads we've seen for the last 15+ years; bone density, connective tissue (tendon, ligament, etc) strength, and muscular development. At minimum we're talking about an extra 60lbs of poo poo on you at all times, and over 100lbs isn't going to raise many eyebrows. All of those baselines take time to develop, orders of magnitude longer than cardiovascular capacity does.

But don't take my word for it, read the poo poo two filthy nobles wrote:

Why Does the Army Want Me Weak? by Maj. Ryan Long, M.Ed. in Kinesiology, USMA Dept. of Physical Education Instructor.
Combat Worst-Case Scenario by Maj. Ryan Whittemore, CSCS & USAW Certified, 10th Group FSO.

*Need if your goal is to minimize the chances of being permanently crippled after you do your time.

Vasudus posted:

Be able to walk around for a long time, and able to sprint short distances and up things like stairs while wearing a vest. Be able to carry 50-75 pounds regularly, and be able to lift 150+ on occasion. Endurance > strength.

All of that is still a function of muscular strength and endurance more than the modicum of cardiovascular capacity, unless we're talking about sprinting up like 10+ flights of stairs.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Make y'all train on stairmasters then

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Here's something:

Instead of just saying PT is a personal responsibility, and then mandating every little thing about PT, you actually making it a loving personal responsibility.

Fats still get chaptered, unfits still get chaptered, except now everyone is not driving to work in what is practically the middle of the night still to participate in the physical training that peak 1950s sports medicine can provide.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Ground forces these days have more in common with NFL players than anything else. There are certain baselines you need* in order to perform under the kinds of combat loads we've seen for the last 15+ years; bone density, connective tissue (tendon, ligament, etc) strength, and muscular development. At minimum we're talking about an extra 60lbs of poo poo on you at all times, and over 100lbs isn't going to raise many eyebrows. All of those baselines take time to develop, orders of magnitude longer than cardiovascular capacity does.

But don't take my word for it, read the poo poo two filthy nobles wrote:

Why Does the Army Want Me Weak? by Maj. Ryan Long, M.Ed. in Kinesiology, USMA Dept. of Physical Education Instructor.
Combat Worst-Case Scenario by Maj. Ryan Whittemore, CSCS & USAW Certified, 10th Group FSO.

*Need if your goal is to minimize the chances of being permanently crippled after you do your time.

All of that is still a function of muscular strength and endurance more than the modicum of cardiovascular capacity, unless we're talking about sprinting up like 10+ flights of stairs.

Don't you only have to run 2 miles? Every NFL player could do that p.easily

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

not caring here posted:

Here's something:

Instead of just saying PT is a personal responsibility, and then mandating every little thing about PT, you actually making it a loving personal responsibility.

Fats still get chaptered, unfits still get chaptered, except now everyone is not driving to work in what is practically the middle of the night still to participate in the physical training that peak 1950s sports medicine can provide.

lmbo if you think most retards in the military wouldnt just revert to their lazy civilian ways if no one is on their rear end about pting

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, I'm okay with that.

Chapter everyone, it's not my money.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

not caring here posted:

Here's something:

b-b-b-b-ut how would you instill HEART and esprit de corps :kiddo:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

b-b-b-b-ut how would you instill HEART and esprit de corps :kiddo:

Weightlifting competitions, 10 milers, tough mudders, beer runs, etc. The same way civilians have fun with PT.

I just volunteered at an olympic triathalon event and watched a 70 year old grandmother beat people my age.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

spacetoaster posted:

Weightlifting competitions, 10 milers, tough mudders, beer runs, etc. The same way civilians have fun with PT.

I just volunteered at an olympic triathalon event and watched a 70 year old grandmother beat people my age.

yeah but mandatory :getin:

i'm all about mandatory horrible poo poo for soldiers now, serves them right for joining!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

yeah but mandatory :getin:

i'm all about mandatory horrible poo poo for soldiers now, serves them right for joining!

I'm still laughing that the whole "turn your back and don't watch anyone do PT" during the APFT.

I'm some old, fat, staff officer that never makes the APFT with my HHC so I always fall in on some random company on base that's having one. I go to this one and everyone has their backs turned on the guys doing pushups. The only sound was the quiet whisper of NCO's counting.

Freaked me right out. When I was a young private we surrounded our buddies and screamed at them. :bahgawd:

• Locked thread