Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

In very very brief: :words:

Seeing it summarized like this, it's very easy to see how people who believe this nonsense today have given us bullshit like "job creators."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Zerilan posted:

Seeing it summarized like this, it's very easy to see how people who believe this nonsense today have given us bullshit like "job creators."

It's taking arrogance, self-centeredness, greed, hypocrisy, and good old fashioned entitlement and making them all virtues. It also tells them that the upper class must never be challenged while giving false impressions that believing in the rambling of the upper class also makes them similar to these walking gods. Then it tells them that anyone who isn't among the chosen few is completely irrelevant (the chosen ones can do everything perfectly) and morally worse since they dare to ask anything of the chosen ones.

Ayn Rand's work is basically the distilled character flaws of corporate America and built into an elaborate fantasy where they can take revenge on anyone who failed to indulge the believers. They're basically proto-Fox News in ideals.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SumYungGui posted:

There's also an unbelievably lovely monologue in the book.

Look at this untermensch who heard John Galt's epistle and didn't immediately pledge fealty to Ayn Rand.

Enjoy starving after civilization collapses when all the wealthy superior men of the mind go Galt.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Pixelboy posted:

Listening to our local knuckleheads on AM radio during drive in this morning.

3 ads for testosterone replacement therapy
2 ads for reverse mortgages
1 ad for a roofing company who's single distinguishing trait was they "screen employees for legal residency."
2 ads for estate planning companies

These people cannot die off fast enough.
Cable news is the same thing. Add: Mesothelioma settlement lawyers, medigap insurance, mobility scooters, mail-order discount catheters, and tons of medicine ads with long lists of side effects. If they have CNN on the screen when I'm at the gym I finish my workout absolutely terrified of my own impending mortality.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Intel&Sebastian posted:

PULL UP PAT PULL UPPPPPPPPPPP

I am afraid to ask. but what was the subject?

Edit. looked it up. he is digging NC a grave.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

FMguru posted:

Cable news is the same thing. Add: Mesothelioma settlement lawyers, medigap insurance, mobility scooters, mail-order discount catheters, and tons of medicine ads with long lists of side effects. If they have CNN on the screen when I'm at the gym I finish my workout absolutely terrified of my own impending mortality.

I love that O'Reilly and Maury Povich share advertising.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is it crazy to start thinking that instead of the other tran stuff in bills, their goal was always Civil Rights itself from the beginning with these kinds of statements?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Crabtree posted:

Is it crazy to start thinking that instead of the other tran stuff in bills, their goal was always Civil Rights itself from the beginning with these kinds of statements?

Basically. These sorts of "religious freedom" bills and all are just a backdoor attempt to restore a segregation to businesses. Trump shows that angry racists have become so bold that they don't have to even try hiding it anymore.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

radical meme posted:

What, no ads for gold as best investment against the apocalypse?

"You give me your U.S. $ that is accepted as legitimate currency in every country in the world and I'll give you this lump of metal, or a certificate for a lump of metal if you're dumb enough to accept it."

Aren't almost all of them certificates, and then they make it really hard/impossible if you actually try to show up to get the physical gold? Like libertarian fun-bucks or something

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Geostomp posted:

Basically. These sorts of "religious freedom" bills and all are just a backdoor attempt to restore a segregation to businesses. Trump shows that angry racists have become so bold that they don't have to even try hiding it anymore.

Just to businesses? It looks like they want segregation back everywhere and in full force whether businesses see a profit it in it or not. Good Christ they're going to nuke the state at this point.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

SumYungGui posted:

Depending on the size of print and the book it can range from like 40-60 pages of one character just spewing out rhetorical bullshit completely uninterrupted. Completely. Nobody else says anything, ever, there are no other actions taking place; completely uninterrupted. Not even a 'he said'. It's paragraph after paragraph, page after page of one of these captains of industry vomiting words at the reader.

Orwell did something similar in 1984, where the plot completely stops for a fifty page essay about how IngSoc worked. It's kind of a lazy shortcut for world-building, but at least Orwell was a decent writer. Also, a lot of it was new information, while I'm guessing Galt's speech was a rehash of stuff that was already evident from the preceding several hundred pages.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Crabtree posted:

Just to businesses? It looks like they want segregation back everywhere and in full force whether businesses see a profit it in it or not. Good Christ they're going to nuke the state at this point.

I saw an interesting article recently that called the North Carolina politicians "neo carpetbaggers" -- they're almost all from out of state. And once they're gone they'll have nice careers as lobbyists / consultants.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Jurgan posted:

Orwell did something similar in 1984, where the plot completely stops for a fifty page essay about how IngSoc worked. It's kind of a lazy shortcut for world-building, but at least Orwell was a decent writer. Also, a lot of it was new information, while I'm guessing Galt's speech was a rehash of stuff that was already evident from the preceding several hundred pages.

I really dug that part. While it is a gigantic world-building digression, it does the crucial job of explaining the backstory and history of the setting, explaining how and why things got the way that they are, and traces the development of the dystopia (which is something a lot of more recent YA dystopias DON'T do, but that's another post). Understanding the philosophy and reasoning of IngSoc is crucial to fully understanding the message that he was imparting... Which is in direct contrast to Atlas Shrugged, which from what I've read (like many others, I haven't read the book but I've read a lot about it) is just an extended 'look how clever I am' session of literary masturbation.

Edit: And Orwell at least had the honesty to have his essay be prefaced with, "And then Winston sat down, opened up the forbidden book, and began to read" rather than just having a character spew out garbage for hours.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

It's pretty much this:

In very very brief: Ayn Rand believed that her philosophy could be derived from a set of self-evident first principles, and therefore it's the only philosophy that is both logically justified and objectively true, and anyone with a rational mind that accurately perceives reality will agree with it.

More to it, she essentially "solved" a bunch of major philosophical arguments by saying "Well I say its this way so that's the proof" which was the equivalent of taking crayons to the page and then calling it a thesis.

As an example here's a famous one

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Is%E2%80%93ought_problem

And she dismissed 200+ years of serious discussion and study with "My way is right and that's it. No discussion." The talk page on the article even has someone trying to inject her claim into the page and responding with claims of a conspiracy against her for it not being included.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
I kind of hope he reads these e-mails all the time now, aweing at the bullshit he's spent decades fomenting

quote:

RUSH: I just got an email from a Trumpist who -- it's fascinating. I know all these Trump supporters and they're fantasizing about what Trump is gonna tell Paul Ryan when they have their big confab tomorrow, and I have to read one of these to you. Here, I just printed it out. This helps me to understand the average Trump supporter's mental attitude about all this, and it helps me to extrapolate and then understand how Trump supporters are gonna react to anything that involves Trump.

It's not a full-fledged barometer, but it offers quite a bit of -- even though it is anecdotal, even though this is anecdotal, I will wager that after I read this a lot of you Trump supporters are gonna be going, "Yeah, yeah, that's exactly what he ought to do." Let's see if I'm right.

"Hey, Rush," starts the email, "here's what Trump ought to say at his meeting with Paul Ryan. 'Screw you. You're the representative of one district in one state. Let me tell you how things are gonna work. First, you are gonna apologize to me, and you're gonna say you don't know what you were thinking when you refused to endorse me when you were asked. The next thing you're gonna do, you're gonna say you are fully behind me, and you will do everything humanly possible to see that I win, period. Otherwise I'm gonna call you out for what you really are. I'm gonna endorse your primary opponent, and I'm gonna actively campaign for him. The next words out of your mouth better be, "Yes, I agree," or else. Or else you're fired.'"

That is what an ardent Trump supporter sent me in an email saying that's what he's expecting Trump to say to Paul Ryan. (interruption) My friend is nuts? I'm not saying he's not. No, I'm just telling you. You don't think that is representative of a whole lot of Trumpists? That's what they think Trump does.
That's what a lot of them think Trump does. That's The Art of the Deal. That's negotiation. Let me read it again. Let me just read the words without throwing in my own emphasis, okay? Just an email from a friend of mine who I think, I could be wrong, but I think it's gonna be close to being fairly representative to what Trump supporters -- maybe it's a fantasy, maybe fantasizing what they hope Trump would do.

But here again it is. What Trump should say at his meeting with Ryan from a friend of mine who sent me an email. Remember now, these are not my words here. I'm reading an email from an ardent Trump supporter, a guy who thinks if Trump doesn't win we're finished, there's no other alternative. If Trump doesn't win it's over as we've known it. That's what this guy believes.

"Hello, congressman. Screw you. You're the representative of a small district in one state. Let me tell you how things are gonna work. First, you're gonna apologize. And you're gonna say you don't know what you were thinking when you couldn't bring yourself to endorse me last week when you were asked. The next thing you're gonna say is that you are fully behind me and you're gonna do everything human possible humanly possible to see that I get elected, period. Otherwise, I'm gonna publicly call you out for what you are. I'm gonna endorse your opponent. I'm gonna actively campaign for him. So the next words out of your mouth better be, 'Yes, I agree, sir,' or else." And then Trump should leave the meeting.

Now, we know that's not gonna happen because Trump's already out there saying (paraphrasing), "I love Ryan. He's a great guy. I want Ryan to remain chairman of the convention." Does that bother you, by the way? Didn't bother you? You didn't want Trump to put his own guy in there? You wouldn't like to see Katrina Pierson chairman of the Republican National Convention? Maybe offer it to Heidi Klum, you know, as an olive branch of peace. "Hey, Heidi, how'd you like to come run the convention for me?" Just toss it right back at Hillary's PAC.
https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/05/11/what_trump_should_say_to_paul_ryan_as_written_by_my_ardent_trumpist_friend

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SumYungGui posted:

All of the characters have the depth of a cardboard cutout and character development is a bad thing that happens to other authors.

There's also an unbelievably lovely monologue in the book. I do not use that word as hyperbole, I truly do not understand how someone can write such a terrible monologue. Depending on the size of print and the book it can range from like 40-60 pages of one character just spewing out rhetorical bullshit completely uninterrupted. Completely. Nobody else says anything, ever, there are no other actions taking place; completely uninterrupted. Not even a 'he said'. It's paragraph after paragraph, page after page of one of these captains of industry vomiting words at the reader.

And that's just the criticism you can level at the monologue from a technical writing perspective! If you ever want to torture your brain cells until they beg for the sweet release of death you can try to understand the content of that stream of verbal diarrhea. "X is correct, and since X is correct then Y is correct. This makes anyone that agrees with me obviously the superior person. Now let me use a different word to say that X is correct again to prove that Y is also correct." Repeat that exact same loving thing for like four or five PAGES. Eventually things will meander around having a point or purpose, only to veer off into another four or five pages of "And now that Y is correct, Z is also correct so worship me."

I've read some really terrible and terribly written poo poo in my life and powered through it, but I was defeated by that monolith.

Oh you mean

galtse.cx ?

Of course Rand believes that without this single man there would be NO STEEL, like the mines and factories would just shut down if he ceased to exist or went to jail.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Epic High Five posted:

Oh you mean

galtse.cx ?

Of course Rand believes that without this single man there would be NO STEEL, like the mines and factories would just shut down if he ceased to exist or went to jail.

Yes, because every single day John Pemberton single handedly went and acquired all of the ingredients for his recipe, mixed them himself, then told his staff how to prepare, bottle, and sell them without imparting any of that knowledge to his employees. How the hell would anyone seriously consider that the production of a company rested on the actions of a single person?

Oh wait, right. :rand:

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to be bitchy but this ayn rand derail has being going on for 12+ pages at this point. Is there a possibility it could, I dunno, move somewhere relevant?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

I don't want to be bitchy but this ayn rand derail has being going on for 12+ pages at this point. Is there a possibility it could, I dunno, move somewhere relevant?

Ayn Rand's books are media constantly used and drawn upon and cited by the right wing, so it's pretty relevant here imo

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Let's finish this derail off with the definite take.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

7c Nickel posted:

Let's finish this derail off with the definite take.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_j56IiLqZ9U

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I quite enjoyed that derail because I'd heard of Atlas Shrugged and that it was poo poo and things like the John Galt speech but I had no real idea of any concrete examples of why it was supposed to be bad.

Between how much of an selfish rear end in a top hat mary sue everyone has to be and how poorly done it all is, now I do.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Considering Ayn Rand's is what most conservatives think of when they think of the Bible as opposed to the Bible itself, I'd say discussion of her work is absolutely relevant, especially since the new GOP is shedding most of its evangelical trappings in favor of a more libertarian-style approach.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My problem with it is less the connection to where the relevancy began and more the fact that it's been dominating pages for close to 15 of them at this point. But if I'm the only person who's over it I'll shut up

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

My problem with it is less the connection to where the relevancy began and more the fact that it's been dominating pages for close to 15 of them at this point. But if I'm the only person who's over it I'll shut up

I don't really care about Ayn Rand either but I can't complain that it's irrelevant. Maybe someone could start a new thread for it? It can be the Paul Ryan 2016 thread

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

drat Ayn Rand for creating such an easy to discuss piece of literature! If only the right wing could provide another topic that people could converse over while Atlas tries to not shrug under the weight of this topic!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Aesop Poprock posted:

Eh, on one hand yes it's not telling me the latest dumb thing that conservatives are doing.

On the other hand it's late, even regressive, transphobic shithead governors need sleep and the discussion is an interesting read. Also helping me learn more about the book without ever having to touch it.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This will go well

Oh boy, I hope I have a shift then!

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

This will go well

Time to organize a counter protest about how you shouldn't be dicks to people who feel like they shouldn't have a dick... they've already got too many dicks as it is!

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Chilichimp posted:

Time to organize a counter protest about how you shouldn't be dicks to people who feel like they shouldn't have a dick... they've already got too many dicks as it is!

You know they say what makes a woman falls between two things. her chromosomes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Aesop Poprock posted:

Aren't almost all of them certificates, and then they make it really hard/impossible if you actually try to show up to get the physical gold? Like libertarian fun-bucks or something

Yes, some reporter did a little digging and discovered how obfuscated their process is. The big thing is that you can only redeem them at their one warehouse out in the middle of nowhere Nebraska which has no signage to let you know it is the proper facility. Even once you get there it isn't easy and they try to dissuade you from doing it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

kik2dagroin posted:

I kind of hope he reads these e-mails all the time now, aweing at the bullshit he's spent decades fomenting

https://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2016/05/11/what_trump_should_say_to_paul_ryan_as_written_by_my_ardent_trumpist_friend

Great, first we get Ted Cruz porn and now we're going to get Trump subordinate rape porn (gay, of course).

Yep, knew what this was before clicked. Almost makes up for all the dumb poo poo those two have done with the show.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

VitalSigns posted:

And yes it does let all the tension out of the climax like a wet fart when you have villains that try as hard as they can not to kill the heroes because the villains can't live without them.

I feel like you could actually make a compelling narrative where the protagonist and villain both rely on on each other too much to seriously harm the other. The climax could even be one of them geting fed up and just bailing, leaving the other to collapse under the weight of their shared bullshit.

In that respect, it's kind of impressive how close Rand was to a good story concept.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That's basically like every Batman/Joker story.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I was thinking more the political thriller angle, but fair point.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

I feel like you could actually make a compelling narrative where the protagonist and villain both rely on on each other too much to seriously harm the other. The climax could even be one of them geting fed up and just bailing, leaving the other to collapse under the weight of their shared bullshit.

In that respect, it's kind of impressive how close Rand was to a good story concept.

Isn't that almost like Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty?

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

The Ape of Naples posted:

Isn't that almost like Sherlock Holmes and Moriarty?

I was thinking of 'Enemy Mine'.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

The time reminds me of the early start of the teaparty where Fox News/Koch paid for a carter bus to picked up old people and just have a protest for 30 mins before leaving so the old people can get the early bird special at the diner.

Fairweather protesters.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

RareAcumen posted:

I quite enjoyed that derail because I'd heard of Atlas Shrugged and that it was poo poo and things like the John Galt speech but I had no real idea of any concrete examples of why it was supposed to be bad.

Between how much of an selfish rear end in a top hat mary sue everyone has to be and how poorly done it all is, now I do.

ayn rand most definitely wrote most of the john galt speech high on meth and due to egoism refused to accept that her drug ramblings weren't perfect inspired prose direct from the objectivist muses themselves. this is why it was never edited and why any film adaptation had to do the whole thing, because it is Perfect

really most of rand's writing and philosophy is explained by the fact that she was a big time no poo poo meth addict, back when meth came in the form of super rational and scientific 'pep pills'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Actually, to bring the discussion back to something approaching the original topic, that's kind of what I expect this thing with Trump and Ryan to end up being. They'll work together for a few weeks or a month to try to unify the party, then one of them (10 to 1 it's Trump) will snap, throw the other under the bus, and just burn it all down out of spite.