Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

coredump what they're saying is you need to cut off the muffler and throw it in the bin as well as switching to pods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Oops, stock is 122.5, not 112.5, my bad. 125 is the recommended one to go to on gs500. http://gstwin.com/rejet.htm

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Renaissance Robot posted:

Stick a leaf blower over the intake

Protip: if you do this you can then just remove the main jet altogether and use the casting in the carb body as your main jet.

Then just simply thread the main jet into where the pilot jet used to be.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'll leave that to you Commander LaForge :techno:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I want to make fun of you for not getting a carburetor joke but...............is that really that shameful of an offense?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Not giving a poo poo about carbs is a sign of a normal well balanced individual so no.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Protip: if you do this you can then just remove the main jet altogether and use the casting in the carb body as your main jet.

Then just simply thread the main jet into where the pilot jet used to be.

Wanna see a bike that requires starting a smaller pull-cord 2-stroke engine in order for the main engine to run.

Like a starter engine on a WWII warbird.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Not giving a poo poo about carbs is a sign of a normal well balanced individual so no.

CREAM - Carbs Rule Everything Around Me

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Wanna see a bike that requires starting a smaller pull-cord 2-stroke engine in order for the main engine to run.

Like a starter engine on a WWII warbird.

The black-start process for quite a lot of power stations (i.e. starting them, from cold, with no grid connection) starts pretty much that way.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

CREAM - Carbs Rule Everything Around Me

Spending money
Where have all my bills gone

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

Spending money
Where have all my bills gone

Only if you're not any good at it.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Coredump posted:

Oops, stock is 122.5, not 112.5, my bad. 125 is the recommended one to go to on gs500. http://gstwin.com/rejet.htm

ya that makes a lot more sense lol

My XR120 runs some custom carb that I forgot the specs to. The body is a chinese clone of some 80s 3 wheeler carb with jets from a kit for an ex250. I don't remember where the needle came from but the combo works well for some reason.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Nah, get a bike with a shotgun starter. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEurohAwrmA&t=45s

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ha ha ha holy poo poo. That Bison bike would be a good candidate for that.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

I installed a ScottOiler vSystem onto my Bonnie. It was a rainy day, and I figured this would be as good a way to show some love to the biek.

The installation was easy enough. It took a little time for me to wrap my head around the exact way I should adapt the instructors to my bike, as almost every step of the instructions has multiple execution options based on the specific layout of your bike. But once I read through everything a second time it all clicked and took relatively little time.

Now I just need a chance to ride the bike to make sure everything is working smoothly. Stupid rain.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

It's just water.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

Collateral Damage posted:

It's just water.

True, but I'm super inexperienced. I want some more dry-land practice before I add in water.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Only way to learn to ride in the rain is to ride in the rain.

Assisted the wife with her new tires last night.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Every time you post pics of that bike I start thinking, maybe a bmw wouldn't be so bad to have. Stop making me think these things :argh:

But seriously, it is super pretty and I'm just happy it exists.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It takes a lot of attention, but usually that attention is routine adjustments and fluid replacements.

When it's big, though, it's big. $1900 clutch replacement service only because we don't have the motivation to disassemble an entire bike in our garage. Should be good on clutch until about 140k though.

Riding it is a whole 'nother. I hate the thing. Panzer tank barely describes how heavy and... uh... "mechanically present" it feels on the road.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

clutchpuck posted:

Love that leather seat.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

That seat is great.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
It's just the recovered factory saddle pieces. She had some boat upholstery guy with a bunch of material options do it. Think it cost like $100.

It's actually got nicer over time. When she first got it, it was all loose and wrinkly. After some riding in the rain, it's shrunk up and looks good.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

clutchpuck posted:

It's just the recovered factory saddle pieces. She had some boat upholstery guy with a bunch of material options do it. Think it cost like $100.

It's actually got nicer over time. When she first got it, it was all loose and wrinkly. After some riding in the rain, it's shrunk up and looks good.

Post more about that bike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

clutchpuck posted:

That seat is perfect.
The bike would look really good in a toasted almond / cream color.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Clutchuck pushes back his keyboard and sighs.

"What's the matter honey? Don't they like your bikes on your forum?"
"*heavy sigh* no. They aren't even interested in my buells! They don't understand my art! Nobody does! They just want to hear about your bimmer. loving peasants."

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Chichevache posted:

Been to Sturgis twice, Yellowstone thrice, Texas once. Many Oregon and California trips. About to head to Alaska. Got it with 25k in 2010, 69,000 miles now? No commute or winter riding. She doesn't really ever get it in running order until a week before a week+ trip. We are very ahead of the game now with 3 weeks until departure but it still needs a valve adjust and tb sync.

She'd slap you for that.

I hate riding it. Whereas the Buell kind of disappears from my perception into a soundtrack of rolling thunder and I'm just kind of propelled 4' above the ground wherever I want to go, the beemer just feels like a massive tether, clicking and grunting along, feeling 100 lbs too heavy.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 11, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
I love that your highest praise for the bike you obsess over is that you forget you're on it. CA wouldn't be the same place without you. :allears:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Actually, that was a great poetic description by clutchpuck. I too like the sensation of flying over the road, like some magic carpet, not really aware that you're sitting on a piece of machinery. But I don't have a bike that does that. And I can do without the thunder.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah, it's very successfully designed to not get in the way of actually riding it.

Ola posted:

And I can do without the thunder.

Got the factory pipe on there so it's like thunder on the horizon.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2016

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

the beemer just feels like a massive tether, clicking and grunting along, feeling 100 lbs too heavy.

This is exactly what my hornet feels like.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Changed rear brake pads as they finally arrived from the webshop that cant tell the difference between youth offroad pants and brake pads. Never shopping from them again if I can't avoid it.

It was about time..

Very uneven wear. Either the sliding pin has been abit more grimy than usual, most likely because I ride more gravel now. or the brake has been sticking a little. It's also a crap old nissin single pot brake.

From what I can find from my maintainance notes I got about 35k km /21k miles out of them.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Clutchuck pushes back his keyboard and sighs.

"What's the matter honey? Don't they like your bikes on your forum?"
"*heavy sigh* no. They aren't even interested in my buells! They don't understand my art! Nobody does! They just want to hear about your bimmer. loving peasants."

Out of all the bikes I've ridden nothing can match my old Buell :shobon:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
My bike needs to drink more liquids.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

High Protein posted:

Out of all the bikes I've ridden nothing can match my old Buell :shobon:

I tried to replace my Ulysses with a not-Ulysses. Rode like 6 other bikes. I was committed to the idea. My budget was like double what another Ulysses would have run me.

Ended up with another Ulysses.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah the appeal of the S1000XR is that when you're underway, it is your willing partner in whatever you'd like to do. I hated the industrial bullshit feel of the BMW boxers but the buzzy triumph of the S1000XR paired with absolute usability is totally my jam.

The SuperDuke is always an engaged, performance oriented experience. It's good at everything else too but it was designed to go fast and do go fast things.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Z3n posted:

I hated the industrial bullshit feel of the BMW boxers

What does this even mean?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Everything is chunky and heavy and engineered like you're riding a tool that wasn't actually designed for usage by humans, but instead because some rear end in a top hat engineer decided technically correct was better than something that actually felt good.

Sitting on an R1200S is perhaps the best example of this. I can't explain why exactly it is terrible without riding one again, which I really don't want to do, but the seating position ends up putting me in a situation where the footpeg position is technically correct and the handlebar position is technically correct and despite those two things being technically correct in isolation, when you put them together they end up with my elbows bouncing off my knees and a crick in my neck because I'm leaned too far forward yet the bike has no actual sporting pretensions. See also: the boxer engine design. Yes, the motions cancel each other out on paper but in reality nothing is that perfect and the crankshaft means your wheelies go sideways and the bike vibrates like hell unless you're at the technically correct rpm. The S1000XR is good because they had to worry about the overall package in the S1000RR (because "technically correct" doesn't make a good sportbike, you need something that feels comfortable and confidence inspiring), and they held on to that design mentality for the R and XR as well.

A motorcycle for most people is fundamentally about the sum of the parts. It appears for most of the boxer engined BMWs beyond the GS no one was ever forced to consider that.

It's sort of ironic because I love the paralever and telelever suspensions but the platform as a whole usually ends up being worse than the sum of its parts.

And yet I still want a K1300R. Damnit, motorcycles! Why do you vex me so!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Knowing your height drastically changes my perception of any bike you feel cramped on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
BMW boxers are like big luxury car engines. They might get you there smoothly and comfortably but they're not gonna handle great or be a lot of fun. And the modern ones are so tall and heavy as to be just an annoyance. The older ones were at least low to the ground so they felt better at low speed and for people under 6'4".