Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I've loved Goblin for years, they could do the Bloodstained OST and I'd be happy.

We're definitely getting something great with Yamane at the helm, but oh man. Goblin. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I've loved Goblin for years, they could do the Bloodstained OST and I'd be happy.

We're definitely getting something great with Yamane at the helm, but oh man. Goblin. :allears:

I'd buy any videogame that got Goblin to do the Soundtrack. Even if it was garbage.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

GodFish posted:

That toothy jellyfish looks really unsettling.

I kinda can't believe it's called "Seama".

Pureauthor posted:

Interesting choice of fanart they chose to showcase this update.

In what way?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's been exactly one year since the launch of the Bloodstained KS, but I guess they don't have anything planned to celebrate.

They did mention they'll be handling their stretch goal content the Shovel Knight way, ie they'll release the base game and distribute the stretch content later as free post-launch updates.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's been exactly one year since the launch of the Bloodstained KS, but I guess they don't have anything planned to celebrate.

They did mention they'll be handling their stretch goal content the Shovel Knight way, ie they'll release the base game and distribute the stretch content later as free post-launch updates.

I'm fine with this. While Shovel Knight hasn't got all their goals out yet, at least it was able to come out on time and not get delayed multiple times like another game.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I honestly cannot believe it's been that long

Either it was a quick year or I'm getting old and time is passing by faster as a result

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's the latter, sadly

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Devil May Cry fans can join Castlevania fans in their sadness as the new Devil May Cry game was announced to be a slot machine for japan.

Capcom made youtube take the video down after it had a few thousand downvotes. Sorry :(

Uncle Wemus fucked around with this message at 09:45 on May 12, 2016

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh... so all those videos and talks by JYB and Reuben Langdon teasing things and new mocap...
Thanks Capcom.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
At least Capcom is remaking RE2, finally, and SFV is probably gonna be worthwhile in a couple years when the Turbo version is released and the majority of the cast is playable. So they've still got the potential to turn around and be a cool company that makes good games again, if they'd just stop trolling their fans.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm a bit conflicted on the 2 remake- I'm not sure people would actually buy a game nowadays that used the RE1-CV/Alone in the Dark style fixed angles and tank controls, but I also feel like most of the game is in too tight quarters for RE4-6-style over the shoulder shooting. Be interesting to see what they do with it.

At least IGA seems to know exactly what he's doing. :D

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This game is several years old and is probably old news to a lot of you but if you like old-school CV and can tolerate slightly goofy graphics/sound then check out Soul of Dracula, a free Japanese Castlevania game with solid level design and a lot of neat gimmicks and bosses: http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/winnt/game/se482503.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPnrkbak6v8

I almost wish I hadn't watched the 5 minutes of gameplay that I did, because it was one delightful surprise after another. I'm definitely checking this out.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Soul of Dracula is the best. I love that every person I see play through it on youtube finds different hidden items in the levels.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm a bit conflicted on the 2 remake- I'm not sure people would actually buy a game nowadays that used the RE1-CV/Alone in the Dark style fixed angles and tank controls, but I also feel like most of the game is in too tight quarters for RE4-6-style over the shoulder shooting.

Dead Space and RE: Revelations games already have the balance between 3rd-person shooter and cramped survival horror pretty much figured out. Add some more actual puzzles back in and things basically boil down to classic RE with better combat.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm a bit conflicted on the 2 remake- I'm not sure people would actually buy a game nowadays that used the RE1-CV/Alone in the Dark style fixed angles and tank controls

RE1HD and RE0HD both sold well enough for Capcom to recoup their investment and decide to make RE2HD. They wouldn't be making it if the market for it didn't exist.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Between Bloodstained and watching Vinnyvania on GB I've been really in the mood for a CV-like experience so I gave Odallus: The Dark Call a try. It gets the look mostly right (a lot of enemies look like they came out of the mind of H. R. Giger, which isn't really a bad thing) and the gameplay is solid enough but it really whiffed on a couple of things that ultimately left me a little disappointed. The music for one is very repetitive and in no way whatsoever a substitute for anything in CV, but more importantly man is the story garbage. It reminded me of Axiom Verge in that they got so much right and all they had to really do from a story perspective was just keep it minimal, the more :words: and cutscenes you add to these retro-NES-like indie games the more cringe inducing it comes off being. Unless you are as talented at writing as Yacht Club they really should just keep it as brief as possible in these sort of throwback games; Castlevania got away with like a blurb at the title screen if you waited for a few seconds and that's all we needed here too.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I liked it in the sense that they really captured the style of storytelling from that era which Axiom Verge absolutely did not. It's more Ninja Gaiden than Castlevania for sure, but I thought it worked and the only problem with it is that some parts are unskippable.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My eyes rolled so far back I could see my brain when I got to the Roy Batty knockoff speech at the end. Just, uuuuuuuugh that was so painful.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i would have thought something awful posters would identify with axiom verge's actual supreme goonlord protagonist

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
axiom verge is a mediocre game for reasons other than its bad story

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

axiom verge is a mediocre game for reasons other than its bad story

Elaborate! I thought it was pretty neat

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i'd say the big three culprits are:

-no x-ray means you have to test every surface manually with each of the types of obstacle removal if you want to find many of the secrets
-some jank rear end bionic commando style grappling hook system in the year of our lord 2015
-bad boss design, especially the last boss. yikes

the hallucination sequence owned but thats the one highlight of the game and it's immediately followed by more insane techno singularity rambling

okay and the music was good, sure

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i'm also gonna add that half the weapons have no use or are gotten long after they might have been useful because of how they're distributed, locking a non-ignorable percentage of powerups behind literal random chance is inexcusable, and that one area where the ambient music is just some lady going AAAAAAAAAAAAAA at you is awful

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

alcharagia posted:

i'm also gonna add that half the weapons have no use or are gotten long after they might have been useful because of how they're distributed, locking a non-ignorable percentage of powerups behind literal random chance is inexcusable, and that one area where the ambient music is just some lady going AAAAAAAAAAAAAA at you is awful

how do you gently caress up a metroidvania this bad

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I thought Odallus: The Dark Call was awesome. It felt like i was playing a mix of Castlevania 3 and Ninja Gaiden. It also helps that I followed it when Greenlight was still kind of innocent years ago.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

LibrarianCroaker posted:

how do you gently caress up a metroidvania this bad

Apparently it's really easy. Environmental Station Alpha is another recent game that came so close, but messed up on some very similar and basic things.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I mean, powerups based on random chance just makes me think of the Sorrow games.

loving souls.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Axiom Verge isn't a terrible game but everything good about it comes directly from Metroid and anything the developer came up with himself is less interesting/well executed.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Apparently it's really easy. Environmental Station Alpha is another recent game that came so close, but messed up on some very similar and basic things.

okay now you and me are going to have a problem

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

DolphinCop posted:

• really linear
  • long treks from save points to bosses
  • progression at one point hindered by needing to walk through a solid wall*
  • hard locked doors and no bonuses for getting into hard to reach areas. Exploration was not encouraged at all
  • making most every upgrade necessary and not providing a buffer of any sort

And that doesn't mention the bad visual acuity with which the tiles were designed so that it was difficult to tell in some situations what was a foreground object and what was in the background

All this aside, it does have one of the best grappling hooks implementations. I loved swinging on that thing. Probably why I was so mad getting to hard to reach areas with it offered no reward.

*Not entirely sure if there's a hint that you can walk through the wall at the shaft in the ruins. It blocked my progression for a long time and I never noticed anything different about that particular wall or the background

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
the problem is that they all try to ape super metroid. they should be aping metroid zero mission.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

alcharagia posted:

the problem is that they all try to ape super metroid. they should be aping metroid zero mission.

That's a bold statement, but I respect it.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

DolphinCop posted:

ESA made me unreasonably angry at video games and I almost kind of wish I had never played it despite enjoying it most of the time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

alcharagia posted:

Finally

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I also didn't particularly care for the post-game puzzles. They started off pretty interesting, but it ended up dragging on and on and somewhere during the 12 (IIRC) tasks you uncover I decided it wasn't worth my time any more to try and complete them all.

Even though it has it's own share of issues, I thought Castle in the Darkness was a much better game overall.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I'm sorry, but in terms of story, Metroid Fusion was clearly better than Zero mission

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I was kidding, please don't kill me

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
metroid fusion's horror elements were really good and i wish more games would try that style. arcs like the generator dying and the entire lead up to Nightmare were all just super immersive and creepy in the right ways. if only the writers had dumped the script entirely and kept to environmental storytelling for the entire game

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Potsticker posted:

I also didn't particularly care for the post-game puzzles. They started off pretty interesting, but it ended up dragging on and on and somewhere during the 12 (IIRC) tasks you uncover I decided it wasn't worth my time any more to try and complete them all.

Even though it has it's own share of issues, I thought Castle in the Darkness was a much better game overall.

see i think the post-game stuff was what was so great about it. its a different take on exploration but it definitely worked for me

it probably would have been better off as a knytt-style game where you can go pretty much anywhere from the getgo, so people could have gotten into the puzzling from the start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm sorry, but in terms of story, Metroid Fusion was clearly better than Zero mission

You're not wrong, but ZM is extremely tight gameplay-wise and p. much the physics-template all Metroid games should build upon