Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

darth cookie posted:

Get a Goldwing and put a snowplough on it. The hell with hedges.

Edit: seriously though, if you haven't already, go check out the Cycle Asylum subforum and do some reading. A lot of good advice there.

95% of why I'm getting something small first, while having some experience pushing peddle bikes around at stupid speeds, is that part of the forum. "Do not get big bike as first bike, this will not work in any possible way." "Spend more on your safety gear than the bike".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Good read about the rule changes for next year:

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2016/05/10/side-side-compare-f1-cars-2016-2017/

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Is the general consensus that the wider tires next year will promote faster lap times but not really change the 'dirty air' advantage the lead car has around the track, right? I initially thought that increasing mechanical grip would maybe make downforce less important depending on the track, meaning being the car behind would have less of a disadvantage than the current formula. But then I realized that it isn't a zero sum game of grip and that more mechanical grip doesn't lessen the need for downforce, it just makes the cars lap faster. Unless the tires will degrade slower? Probably not.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I don't know, some teams prefer to set up for slow corners, some for fast corners, some for straights etc
The question is, who has the downforce they want, and can lessen off aero to keep what they want in the corners and yet be faster on straights (thus getting their faster lap time, as you point out)

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

There's a real chance if you increase mechanical grip and the drag from extra downforce while keeping the fuel flow limit that these cars are going to be slower at some tracks.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Mclaren proposed the concept and RBR loves it.

BECAUSE IT IS AERO poo poo.

Why can't we just have less aero. :negative:

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Riso posted:

Mclaren proposed the concept and RBR loves it.

BECAUSE IT IS AERO poo poo.

Why can't we just have less aero. :negative:

I (and others, including some of those running f1) are more interested in the development of bonkers race cars than i am on track action? Spec wings and spec engines and spec floors and spec tires risk making the sport more NBA and less FIFA.

Other people want reversed grids and sprint races.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You don't need loving spec wings. I'm seriously sick of this aero poo poo though, it's loving retarded.

I don't know how many loving times I have to say the solution is to say "you get x aero elements for y area of the car, they can't protrude more than z cm." and that fixed literally all the problems, aero development isn't out of control and it gives teams that don't have an aero budget bigger than NASA a chance to compete. Will anybody loving listen? No of course not.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
The Worst Thread is listening. Thank God you're here.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

The Worst Thread is listening. Thank God you're here.

I could have done more....

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

There's a real chance if you increase mechanical grip and the drag from extra downforce while keeping the fuel flow limit that these cars are going to be slower at some tracks.

They are raising the fuel limit

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Goetta posted:

They are raising the fuel limit

The total limit, not the fuel flow.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Aesthetics are obviously secondary but I am cautiously optimistic about the appearance of the wider cars.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

whoops you addressed this

FYI teams with bad engines want a more aero-focused formula

wicka fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 11, 2016

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Maybe now that the sport doesnt really have paying sponsors like they did in the late 90s means they can do away with the pointless flat billboard airbox. For that "Schumacher's Jordan" look.

CratSock
Aug 5, 2004

Sock Wielding Assassin

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

'Lonso and Butts' I like it, I like you today

"Lonso and Butts" should be the replacement for Tooned. It can be a 70's buddy cop show, where they solve international trackside mysteries and fight crime, then get back to the garage just in time to join the grid every week. Catchphrase suggestions?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

1500quidporsche posted:

The total limit, not the fuel flow.

Oh ok my bad

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

CratSock posted:

"Lonso and Butts" should be the replacement for Tooned. It can be a 70's buddy cop show, where they solve international trackside mysteries and fight crime, then get back to the garage just in time to join the grid every week. Catchphrase suggestions?

someone says "lonso kicks butt!" and butts acts offended

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

FYI teams with bad engines want a more aero-focused formula

Alonso and McLaren are the only things in-between a new RedBullReich :ohdear:

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

Alonso and McLaren are the only things in-between a new RedBullReich :ohdear:

red bull's drivers are worse than the other top teams, newey is no longer entirely focused on F1, red bull has a poisonous relationship with their engine supplier, and they likely won't force honda (or anyone else) to sell them an engine due to the many clauses in the FIA's new engine regulations. so there are many other things preventing red bull from winning another title.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They also don't have Super Seb, the drive so great it's impossible to put offensive slurs in his name.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You can unfortunately come up with things like "The Shitrrari Scud Duds" so I think Big Sebs career is on hold.

F1DriverQuidenBerg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Kimi has the poo poo portion of Ferrari on lock.

Leave Seb alone.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Norns posted:

Leave Seb alone.

Kimi is the poo poo portion of Ferrari.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
There's no need to come up with a lovely pun on his name when you can just refer to him as "Fraud" and everyone knows who you mean

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Tsaedje posted:

There's no need to come up with a lovely pun on his name when you can just refer to him as "Fraud" and everyone knows who you mean

But enough about Lewis.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

1500quidporsche posted:

You can unfortunately come up with things like "The Shitrrari Scud Duds" so I think Big Sebs career is on hold.

I've reported this post, I hope you enjoy your probation. :fut:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Norns posted:

Leave Seb alone.

Yes leave Seb alone or he'll whine about you until they give your job to a teenager

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
How can one page contain so much delicious drama? FIA you are spoiling us.

http://www.formula1.com/content/fom-website/en/latest/headlines/2016/5/f1-spain-fia-press-conference-schedule.html

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
This guy isn't even wearing real glasses. What a fraud.

https://twitter.com/sebvettelnews/status/730357082340261888

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever like Seb as much as I do now.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine

George Zimmer posted:

Gay for Vettel now.

Likewise

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Truly this is the worst thread.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.
http://i.imgur.com/kdugZM2.gifv

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Vettel fertilizes the earth and our hearts!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

For those who cannot access at work: the driver press conference tomorrow features Max Verstappen and both Toro Rosso drivers.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
:350: Manor should be renamed "Bianchi". Like "Stewart" or "Brabham" or "Mclaren".

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

1500quidporsche posted:

You don't need loving spec wings. I'm seriously sick of this aero poo poo though, it's loving retarded.

I don't know how many loving times I have to say the solution is to say "you get x aero elements for y area of the car, they can't protrude more than z cm." and that fixed literally all the problems, aero development isn't out of control and it gives teams that don't have an aero budget bigger than NASA a chance to compete. Will anybody loving listen? No of course not.

I sort of hope once they go to full independent manufacturer chassis that Formula E will just allow whatever batshit bananas aero and ground effects and tyres anyone can come up with and leave F1 to it's twenty million page rulebook of technical restrictions.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

George Zimmer posted:

Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever like Seb as much as I do now.

I too, hope for Disco Time™ soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Nando is amazing :allears:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BFT1mgEquaY/

Never change Fernando, never change.

• Locked thread