Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Mister Sinewave posted:

What's it like? I remember reading about it on BGG but couldn't really get a read on it.

Somewhere between The Resistance and Mysterium in a detective/murdermystery wrapper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

You know, I didn't realize till a few minutes ago how much I want to see a four-way TS-alike about the decolonization of Africa 1950-1990. Players would be Nationalists, Imperialists (including UK, France, Portugal, and South Africa), US, and USSR. A board game with a mere 50+ countries to fight over, what could go wrong?

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
Played Mombasa tonight, it was pretty good. I should pay more attention to games people mention in here only once or twice because sometimes they are awesome and I forget about them. Are there any good review sites you guys like? I mostly just read this thread.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Check out Heavy Cardboard if you liked Mombasa, they love stuff like that and you'll probably agree with them most of the time. The other best thing to do is to surf around on Board Game Geek and try to find people who are interested in similar games you do and subscribe to them so you can get feelers out on the newest stuff in your space.

I also follow The Misery Farm although we don't always agree. They just have taste that aligns with some people i know.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Met up with Nomadotto in Portland for a couple hours at a local bar for board game night, played three games.

Hive - Still great. I lost both games but never felt cheated, just outplayed.

Deck Building, the Deckbuilding Game - Two player only deckbuilding point salad game. Actually a fair bit more interactive than I expected it to be, but it fills the same space as too many much better games. Would maybe buy for $10 on a lark or to get Generic Dad Guy to play something. I won by a country mile because of a giant train of ornate railing that I always protected as I placed it.

Sushi Go - 2p with a dummy player was interesting, but I definitely wanna try it with more before I properly judge it. Only lost by like 3 points though!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sushi Go is pretty dull with 2 players, I think it's just on the box for funsies.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
So this is a thing

Pandemic: Iberia
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SD7rMysUo9M

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

I played an early version of it a long time ago. It's changed some since then though so I'm not sure exactly how much is different. I'm not sure if I'd say it's "better" than vanilla Pandemic but it does add some neat ideas and it's different enough to alter how you play.

Plus the board looks great. I hope I can get my hands on it as I hear there won't be many copies.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Sushi Go is pretty dull with 2 players, I think it's just on the box for funsies.

Yeah 4-5 is the sweet spot for Sushi Go. It's one of my favorite "where is the rest of the gaming group?" warmup games though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Bought a copy of Panic on Wall Street, the back of the box says that I shouldn't buy the game if my hobby is drab cube pushers, so I guess I have to return it now. Seems pretty harsh though :(

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
What's a good starting point for Battlecon? Looking at Fate or War 2nd edition.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

War 2nd edition.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Tekopo posted:

Bought a copy of Panic on Wall Street, the back of the box says that I shouldn't buy the game if my hobby is drab cube pushers, so I guess I have to return it now. Seems pretty harsh though :(

Where did your find that???

Played Skylines 3000 last night with the GF and we had a blast. Very quick, very simple, and a reasonable amount of strategy to a light game. I'd be really curious to try it with 3-4p and see how mean it gets. I particularly enjoyed the tactile element of actually "building" the structures that are getting installed. My only criticisms are that I felt like my last turn was kind of pre-programmed due to it being just two-players, and I'm concerned how it would hold up on multiple playthroughs. Regardless, grabbed it for about $10 at a meet-up on the weekend and I am not upset at all!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Oh, what's that? No campaign/story/progressive gameplay? Oooooh going to have to give a pass on that. Sorry Pandemic, but Legacy has ruined you for me.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Morpheus posted:

Oh, what's that? No campaign/story/progressive gameplay? Oooooh going to have to give a pass on that. Sorry Pandemic, but Legacy has ruined you for me.

Naw. Pandemic ruined Pandemic, after enough plays it's just kind of generic. Pandemic Legacy ruined non-legacy coop games. Well, other than space alert and others that get around the usual coop problems.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

FulsomFrank posted:

Where did your find that??
What, the game itself? Found on board game guru.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tekopo posted:

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The good old days, when we, the Cheeto-stained elite, told ourselves all kinds of stories about our supposed desirability and intelligence.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Do you have the brain power to post in trad games? Click on this banner ad....although I have my doubts :smug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

My life is like Blade, the Daywalker, but instead of vampires, it's board games. I'm able to enjoy both light and heavy games. Nobody understands how hard this is for me, watching the world filled with mono-genre players.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
He has all the flavor of Ameritrash, but with all the calculating power of a Eurogamer. They call him.... "Trash Walker"

Dancer
May 23, 2011
I recently assembled a copy of 2 rooms and a boom for a party that's coming up, and I have been positively surprised by the results. I got a bunch of Magic commons for free from my local board game store, printed card fronts and backs at the print shop for good quality, glued them to the cards, and sleeved and it actually looks and feels pretty nice.

So now I'm interested in repeating the process. The next game on my list is Timeline (http://www.cheapass.com/freegames/timeline), but beyond that I have no specific plans. Can anyone recommend some other cool game that I could make this way?

Edit: I should also point out that I've already done Secret Hitler as well (before figuring out this process so it was much more difficult and expensive and involved purchasing a large sheet of cardboard, and manual art, and lamination and other hassles)

Dancer fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 12, 2016

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean, coup, the resistance, apparently you can do talisman like this too, just ask Rutibex.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

silvergoose posted:

I mean, coup, the resistance, apparently you can do talisman like this too, just ask Rutibex.

I've used my secret hitler set for resistance once in the past, but didn't know of Coup. Thank you.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

lordsummerisle posted:

What's a good starting point for Battlecon? Looking at Fate or War 2nd edition.

War 2nd edition, but be warned Level99 is terrible at inserts so be prepared to make your own storage solution

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tekopo posted:

My life is like Blade, the Daywalker, but instead of vampires, it's board games. I'm able to enjoy both light and heavy games. Nobody understands how hard this is for me, watching the world filled with mono-genre players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twMDxz6QsSM

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Tekopo posted:

I love my Panic on Wallstreet, swooped it up back in the day when I was following shut up and sit down. It's a loving blast, because man do people love to shout and deal.

It does have the ability to turn off quieter folks, like my girlfriend and sister, too much yelling and negotiating for them.

Either way it's always a huge hit

Texibus fucked around with this message at 17:55 on May 12, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is Secret Hitler as bad as "from the creators of Cards Against Humanity" would imply

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012
It's resistance with player elimination p much.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

silvergoose posted:

Not about Henry VIII's wives, though.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

StashAugustine posted:

Is Secret Hitler as bad as "from the creators of Cards Against Humanity" would imply

I've only played a few rounds, but I was surprised at how much I liked it. It's got Resistance's voting mechanics and a simpler variant on the BSG destiny deck. Moves pretty smoothly, too.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

StashAugustine posted:

The local group that plays almost exclusively social deduction games loves it.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

silvergoose posted:

Naw. Pandemic ruined Pandemic, after enough plays it's just kind of generic.

There's a fair amount of differences with Iberia. The way diseases spread changes, there's new tools to deal with them, the board layout is different, and so on. I mean, it still feels like Pandemic but it's different enough to spice it up.

Not that I don't agree with you about Pandemic's replay value. After you play a lot games they start to feel the same. Iberia adds a few layers of things to do that may keep it from feeling generic, but like I said, it still feels like Pandemic.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I played Skulls and Roses last night. Pretty fun bluffing game I won by getting everyone eliminated.

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

StashAugustine posted:

I've played it a couple of times, and it's better than expected, I think largely because of the groups I typically play with. With the typical social deduction crew (playing Avalon and Resistance), we have about half of the people who are big poker players, and who are really willing to drive the action, (talking a lot, throwing out a lot of reads and deduction), but aren't great at information share. The other chunk of folks are kind of quiet, and don't tend to like to "rock the boat" (not a lot of table chatter, and heavy favor towards just going along with the louder folks), they also don't do a lot of information share, because, well, quiet. In Secret Hitler, because of the law-passing mechanic, people are specially given information that only they have, which directly points to them or their partner on a turn, which encourages quiet people to information share. In Avalon, at least with Merlin, there's information, but you're encouraged to not share it, due to the risk of assassin.

That said, it still has player elimination, and the fact that players have two "ID" cards makes silly mistakes during dealing common (particularly at a loud bar), which isn't great. Also, it has Hitler, which makes it difficult to play with people who aren't completely desensitized to weird game stuff.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DXV posted:

Then we play a bunch of games. If we aren't playing the card, it tries to get better, through abilities or cost or both. If the card seems unbeatable, it tries to get weaker, through abilities or cost or both. We might play games where someone has to buy the card and someone else can't buy it. The player who can't buy it might get a similar published card as a benchmark - to test out this new Smithy, I can have Journeyman, you can have the new card.

It would be interesting to see that made into a heuristic for a machine learning algorithm. Teach it the rules of Dominion, and then let it try to figure out new cards by having other sims play each other.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So: probably don't get, especially if you're satisfied with Resistance, but don't make excuses and leave if someone else has it

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

It would be interesting to see that made into a heuristic for a machine learning algorithm. Teach it the rules of Dominion, and then let it try to figure out new cards by having other sims play each other.

Has anyone made a neural network for Dominion cards, like @roborosewater does with MTG? Because that could be fun in its own way I think.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

BonHair posted:

Has anyone made a neural network for Dominion cards, like @roborosewater does with MTG? Because that could be fun in its own way I think.

Here's a thread with people posting things like that:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13415.0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

garthoneeye posted:

Here's a thread with people posting things like that:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13415.0

The Markov generated ones are super awesome (just a Markov chain + random nouns for names):

pubby posted:

Eggnog - Action - $3
+2 Coins; or trash two Treasure Maps, gain an Estate card from your hand and gain a copy of it next turn, +1 Buy.

Giraffe - Action - $7
+1 Card, +1 Action, Name a card.

Ship - Action - $4
Look at the top card of you deck. +4 Coins. Trash a card costing exactly 1 Coin.

Property - Action - $4
+1 Card, +2 Actions. You may gain a card costing up to 3 Coins. If you do, gain an Estate card.

Apparatus - Action - $2
Draw until you have no Action cards in your hand.

Basket - Action -$5
Copper produces an extra turn after this one. This can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns.