Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Gigi Galli posted:

Is this the guy with the internalized defibrillator? I forget where he's from.

He's 22 with a heart defect that means he could die while 'under maximum exertion'. You better believe he's got more than just a defib. I'll bet he's got the same device I do that paces, defibs, and pumps all at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Tigren posted:

Hahaha, yes, trade away the golden boot runner up and fan favorite because he wants to score more goals. Great way to make your fans happy Precourt.

Even if he IS an arrogant locker room cancer and that's why they're trying to move him, there are teams who need goals who will take him (but far fewer who can take his salary, so I suppose the Columbus Drama Crew soap opera will make waves in this summer's rerun season.)

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
Pogatetz was cut not long after airing out some laundry about missing playing time. To be fair to Pogatetz, he was benched in favor of chumble gently caress defender Tyson Wahl. Who knows what amount of quaaludes went into the idea that Tyson Wahl is better than someone who has spent significant time as the Austrian team's captain.

Moving Kamara is pretty loving stupid, and it just shows that Berhalter cannot contend with people that buck against the grain. Not to mention the fact that he makes absolutely no adjustments to his supreme vision. He'll put square pegs into round holes until they fit goddamnit. Any of the handful of dweebs putting out feelers in their wordspace blog about berhalter being on the short list to take klinsmann's spot are skullfuck idiots.

i wonder what poo poo player adam bedell is up to these days...

the good news is the crew still has a sack of coleslaw in the form of conor casey to smack some balls into the net when they bow out of their second 2016 open cup game. lol

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Let's all be Colorado fans now.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Let's all be Colorado fans now.

imagine how good they'd be with moor and irwin, i say with literally no knowledge of who replaced them and no real interest in learning

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Last year, former Fire player Hunter Jumper posted a bunch of tweets criticizing the Fire's medical care of him and other former players, including Mike Videira, whose career was allegedly shortened or ended by bad care.

Bakary Soumare is apparently suing the team and/or MLS (according to his Twitter).

Since the Fire had an off weekend, I thought I would put my law school education to some kind of use and look into some public court records. I couldn't find Soumare's case, but it turns out that there's a lawsuit out against the club's athletic trainers.

The hole of dysfunction in Bridgeview grows ever deeper.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hunter Jumper should sue his parents for his stupid loving name.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Hello Towel posted:

Last year, former Fire player Hunter Jumper posted a bunch of tweets criticizing the Fire's medical care of him and other former players, including Mike Videira, whose career was allegedly shortened or ended by bad care.

Bakary Soumare is apparently suing the team and/or MLS (according to his Twitter).

Since the Fire had an off weekend, I thought I would put my law school education to some kind of use and look into some public court records. I couldn't find Soumare's case, but it turns out that there's a lawsuit out against the club's athletic trainers.

The hole of dysfunction in Bridgeview grows ever deeper.
Part of me thinks that when Chicago NASL starts up next year we could have a situation like the one with the Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Wolves before Bill Wirtz died, where fans were so sick of the big team that the minor league became just as big of a draw for a brief period of time.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Fucitol posted:

Pogatetz was cut not long after airing out some laundry about missing playing time. To be fair to Pogatetz, he was benched in favor of chumble gently caress defender Tyson Wahl. Who knows what amount of quaaludes went into the idea that Tyson Wahl is better than someone who has spent significant time as the Austrian team's captain.

Moving Kamara is pretty loving stupid, and it just shows that Berhalter cannot contend with people that buck against the grain. Not to mention the fact that he makes absolutely no adjustments to his supreme vision. He'll put square pegs into round holes until they fit goddamnit. Any of the handful of dweebs putting out feelers in their wordspace blog about berhalter being on the short list to take klinsmann's spot are skullfuck idiots.

i wonder what poo poo player adam bedell is up to these days...

the good news is the crew still has a sack of coleslaw in the form of conor casey to smack some balls into the net when they bow out of their second 2016 open cup game. lol

This is what makes guys like Sigi and Bruce so successful. They actually manage these man-children and make sure their egos don't explode all over the team.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Crazy Ted posted:

Part of me thinks that when Chicago NASL starts up next year we could have a situation like the one with the Chicago Blackhawks and Chicago Wolves before Bill Wirtz died, where fans were so sick of the big team that the minor league became just as big of a draw for a brief period of time.

And then the Fire eventually win a couple of championships and everyone bandwagons onto them? Nah, that won't happen.

I'm still not convinced that Chicago NASL is even going to get off the ground, because they're going to run into the same problems (e.g. crowded market, finding space to play somewhere in the city) the Fire ran into ~10 years ago with less clout and organizational experience.

But we'll see. I hope they do well.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Lets look at how MLS TV ratings are doing *scrolls down for a million years*

Just below women's golf, and bowling, and drag racing, and 9000 reruns of sportscenter. Hmm this ponzi scheme league can't draw viewers at all. They should add a lot more teams.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

Just below women's golf, and bowling, and drag racing, and 9000 reruns of sportscenter. Hmm this ponzi scheme league can't draw viewers at all. They should add a lot more teams.

odd that the premier league has better ratings considering The Soccer Don has clearly established that MLS just needs to replicate other american leagues in every way and success will surely come

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jesus Christ, more people watch The Sports Reporters.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

On the one hand, 3:30 PM on Mother's Day. On the other, 25% lower than a 30 for 30 on at the same time.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Your Boy Fancy posted:

On the one hand, 3:30 PM on Mother's Day. On the other, 25% lower than a 30 for 30 on at the same time.

I think all the rootless cosmopolitan MLS fans who moved to DC from Minnesota, or Portland, from Minnesota, would have just texted mom happy mothers day, or disowned her for voting republican, etc. and would be fired up for an afternoon match featuring Caleb Porter's MLS champs

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

I think all the rootless cosmopolitan MLS fans who moved to DC from Minnesota, or Portland, from Minnesota, would have just texted mom happy mothers day, or disowned her for voting republican, etc. and would be fired up for an afternoon match featuring Caleb Porter's MLS champs

I mean

I did that.

Only I went to the game in DC

But that's the old argument innit, watching games in person or on MLS Live because live television isn't a thing for rootless cosmopolitans

You don't own a TV, I heard once

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

someone photoshop don garber's face onto baghdad bob's face and also make it so he's wearing a detriot city fc jersey. or atlanta or miami or whatever it doesn't really matter which

KFBR392
Jan 21, 2016

by Cowcaster
It is because MLS is a Bad Product.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Fucitol posted:

someone photoshop don garber's face onto baghdad bob's face and also make it so he's wearing a detriot city fc jersey. or atlanta or miami or whatever it doesn't really matter which

Leicester Los Angeles

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
The Ray Parlour › MLS 2016: I hate you because I love you

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
In actual news, thread nemesis Steven Lenhart looks like he won't be seeing the field ever again.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

Shrapnig posted:

Hunter Jumper should sue his parents for his stupid loving name.

That name owns and you fuckers know I'm an authority on goofy names

TO: REVS

Kei Kamara

TO: COLUMBUS
A big bag of GarBucks (TAM, GAM, first-rounder in 2017, second-rounder in 2018, international roster spot and cut of future transfer money)

I have no idea how to feel about this other than to confess I am more a Qdoba partisan than Chipotle in that I like queso and guac at no extra charge

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
That seems like a good trade and I am happy.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
gently caress off Robert Kraft

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began

Dallan Invictus posted:

In actual news, thread nemesis Steven Lenhart looks like he won't be seeing the field ever again.

He can now go off into the sunset and knit caps at the old folks home full-time.

\/\/ he looked fat and slow last night, though he appeared to be working at 100% to his credit

shoplifter fucked around with this message at 19:35 on May 12, 2016

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Fucitol posted:

the good news is the crew still has a human sack of coleslaw in the form of conor casey to eat tacos during water breaks when they bow out of their second 2016 open cup game trade the 2015 golden boot runner up for garber bucks. lol

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hoover Dam posted:

That name owns and you fuckers know I'm an authority on goofy names

TO: REVS

Kei Kamara

TO: COLUMBUS
A big bag of GarBucks (TAM, GAM, first-rounder in 2017, second-rounder in 2018, international roster spot and cut of future transfer money)

I have no idea how to feel about this other than to confess I am more a Qdoba partisan than Chipotle in that I like queso and guac at no extra charge

where does moe's fit in this equation?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

So some guy is claiming on Twitter that Zlatan is leaving whatever team he's on in like 2 hours and going to the Galaxy.

So take that with however many grains of salt you need.

edit: Now it's like 3 or 4. Who knows if it's just one giant circular confirmation shitball though.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 13, 2016

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

So some guy is claiming on Twitter that Zlatan is leaving whatever team he's on in like 2 hours and going to the Galaxy.

edit: Now it's like 3 or 4. Who knows if it's just one giant circular confirmation shitball though.

That's the dumbest rumor I've ever heard

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

So is it you who doesn't know what team one of the most famous players in the world is playing for or are you quoting someone else?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

So is it you who doesn't know what team one of the most famous players in the world is playing for or are you quoting someone else?

I know what team he plays for, but this was just so insane to me that it's not even worth it.

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

African AIDS cum posted:

See, if you told me in advance that Portland vs Toronto would draw over half as many viewers as a Man City match, I would say that's a pretty good deal. If we were talking 15 million people watching Man City and 300k watching Portland, that would be a different conversation. But even Manchester United vs the BPL champion Leicester City can't crack a million viewers. In that context 300k doesn't seem like a bad number to me.

I mean, I realize the narrative is "everyone loves BPL and everyone hates MLS," but if you offered me a random (and I do mean random - no rivalry, no nothing) MLS match having a third the viewers of a Man United match vs the BPL champions, I'd call that pretty successful.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I think the point AAC is trying to make is that not enough people care about soccer in America to warrant the existence of MLS.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Zlatan would be so bored in MLS.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

CaptainYesterday posted:

I think the point AAC is trying to make is that not enough people care about soccer in America to warrant the existence of MLS.
Enough people care that it would probably be more successful if Don Garber tried to run it like a normal soccer league instead of a combination of a Soviet-style experiment in central planning with the promotion of "tradition" that makes MLS look like the sports equivalent of Chinese knock-off merchandise.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I like MLS.

Maybe it really is a Ponzi scheme surviving off of 100 million dollar franchise buy ins, and if that's the case it will crumble someday so just enjoy it while it lasts.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

threeagainstfour posted:

I like MLS.

Maybe it really is a Ponzi scheme surviving off of 100 million dollar franchise buy ins, and if that's the case it will crumble someday so just enjoy it while it lasts.
Expansion fees are no different than when any other league adds a team. If a league is going to be in a closed system, then there has to be pay-to-play if you want to start a new team. The issue is how fast it's expanding.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Crazy Ted posted:

The issue is how fast it's expanding.

The issue isn't just speed of expansion but what is happening to older clubs. Teams are allowed to have bad management, flounder for years, poo poo on fans and on. Chicago, DC, Chivas, and many other clubs are just evidence that the 'central power' of MLS is a fiction.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
:siren: WARNING: PRO/REL CHAT :siren:

I'm 90% sure that the reason MLS is expanding at its current rate is so that they can one day introduce promotion and relegation that they can control. Since MLS is in both the US and Canada but only sanctioned by US Soccer, they could go around the rules and, in true MLS fashion, make up the rules as they go along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

MLS will need to have more than the ~5% growth it currently has. It would need to be like 20-50% a year. Otherwise the financial risk is too much for any team

• Locked thread