Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

Ghostlight posted:

My family still puts sixpences in the christmas pudding. We used to use threepences as well but we ran out over the years.

My family used to do this too, but my grandfather ate all the sixpences. He didn't notice them going in OR coming out, apparently.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

No translation needed Fingerpori.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Der Shovel posted:

No translation needed Fingerpori.

I bet both of those guys are named Zack.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
Moomin

Classic Dilbert

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

:psyduck:

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Even the antagonists are surprised when they have a competent moment. :allears: He seems outright surprised that his whole strategy actually worked.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

That's pretty much what I thought when I saw the original.

Rhymes with Piccolo

Pros and Cons

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A late post, then back to regularly scheduled posts.

Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Mark Trail

Pearls Before Swine

The Phantom

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy believes in parliamentary procedure. (March 14, 1929)

Peanuts (May 15, 1969)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft (the cheerful, madcap one!)

For all the times we talk about the Specter of Death being such a presence in TomBat land, this is the first funeral I can remember.

Rip Haywire

Out Our Way (April 3-4, 1929)

Thimble Theater (November 29, 1929)

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

EasyEW posted:

For all the times we talk about the Specter of Death being such a presence in TomBat land, this is the first funeral I can remember.

My original praise for efficiency apparently stands so, hey, good job Batiuk you didn't milk it (as much as you could have)!

As for the funeral thing, that's probably because the other major on-screen death resulted in a ten year time skip, and the others were Wally going MIA presumed dead until he wasn't.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (April 3-4, 1929)

The lighter side of choking, lung-destroying air pollution.

text me a vag pic
May 18, 2007

Eat a bowl of gently caress, Lynn.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Calvin and Hobbes

Ripley's

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (April 19, 1951)

Barnaby (September 24, 1942)

Nancy (June 3, 1943)

Wash Tubbs (February 14, 1929)

Gasoline Alley (March 15, 1923)

Lil' Abner (October 29, 1936)

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

I wonder how they got John Landis to direct.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Okay, there's only one dog in Ballard Street and it's offscreen, but there's still 8 visible dogs total across six strips, so I feel safe calling these Dog Comix.

Pooch Café

No, no, you misunderstand. You shove Poncho in the bag with a couple of bricks and then throw it off a bridge.

And Ballard Street would like to introduce the thread to its new go-to reaction image:

Good lowkey pun in the second one.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

EasyEW posted:

Miracle it took this long, really.

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Just in case you were wondering what the top secret message says.

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

Pibgorn Wahoo Terminal

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

This is getting near Compu-toon levels of dumb computer stuff.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

And then the production company gets sued into absolute oblivion.

Also did we really just witness that old abusive lady die? Jesus.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The new Star Trek isn't looking too good.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Tambaloneus posted:

Why are the guys always such boring killjoys in this comic? She needs to go to more of my family's weddings, I wish I'd filmed my dad loving owning a dancefloor at my brothers wedding. It's like she hated her ex so much she's made every guy him and every one of them as awful as possible.
See, the sad and disturbing part of all this is that this is a rerun from way before her marriage broke up, which if I remember correctly completely blindsided her. In other words, these strips are Lynn's idea of what a normal and healthy relationship, marriage, and family life is supposed to be like.

F Minus

Mary Worth

Look at that hussy in that leotard without even tights on squatting and splaying to and fro in front of that man!

Rex Morgan MD

Are they going to just let this little old-person-romance subplot peter out like the house one or is there some ham-handed resolution in store for us here too? We'll find out!

Secret Agent X-9

Their sexual role-playing gets a little weird sometimes but they both seem to enjoy it.

Apartment 3-G

Every girl dreams of the day some handsome man will say to them, "You make me feel so somber."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

EasyEW posted:

Death itself signals the end of suffering, at least for one character, so you'll understand he allows such sweet release from the crushing, existential misery that is life in TomBat land only very rarely.

Which is not to say that the surviving family members of Abusive Mother Figure will get out from beneath their own ever-present clouds of despair any time soon, or indeed at all.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

I... uh... accidentally skipped ahead again. Sometimes Comics Kingdom posts the next day's strips before midnight (my time) and I don't always notice. So the rest of these comics are from yesterday. Don't let the continuity hiccup scramble your brains.

The Amazing Spider-Man

Sally Forth

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Tambaloneus
Feb 5, 2007

I miss my cat someone buy me a kitten.

Johnny Walker posted:

See, the sad and disturbing part of all this is that this is a rerun from way before her marriage broke up, which if I remember correctly completely blindsided her. In other words, these strips are Lynn's idea of what a normal and healthy relationship, marriage, and family life is supposed to be like.

Oh yes I remember that, I wonder if she's retroactively making him a jerk so her character is seen in a more sympathetic light when he leaves, if he does. Mind you her character always seems kind of unhappy most of the time too to be honest. I wonder if she'll include the breakup in the comic.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Look at that hussy in that leotard without even tights on squatting and splaying to and fro in front of that man!

I'm getting a real "Please go away and stop stalking me" vibe off that guy.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

So let me see if I can unpack this (And I'm not sure I can because Luann is nothing if not a dense, impenetrable cascade of bullshit):
  • Luann and Quill spend literal months in a long distance relationship based solely upon their ability to communicate and trust one another.
  • Quill comes back but then leaves (again) but is inexplicably not as trustworthy this time because he keeps talking about Pru.
  • At no point does Luann inquire further about Pru to assuage her mounting fears despite the fact that she already has months of experience RE: the importance of communication and trust to a functioning relationship.
  • Luann and Quill get in a fight because Luann fails to communicate concerns regarding their travel plans and Pru to Quill in a continuation of the previous point. Said fight is their only fight. Ever.
  • Rightly frustrated, Quill finally snaps during said fight and they break up. Somehow it's Quill's fault because shut up.
  • Quill attempts to escape the Evanses goes back to Australia.
  • Luann finds out that literally 100% of her concerns regarding Quill were unfounded (Pru is a lesbian so definitely not engaged in a relationship with him, etc.), which she would know if she had talked to him.
  • For some reason, Quill comes back to where Luann is and not to New York where, y'know, he loving works, because shut up.
  • Now they're both talking and the moral of the story is that they're better off just being friends.
  • Except it's also been established that being casual friends with a member of the opposite sex is automatically detrimental to your future romantic endeavors regardless of all circumstances and that your significant other is completely correct in not trusting you because of said friendships.
Basically we're forced to conclude that thing good? No, thing bad! Unless Luann does thing. Then thing good! This is the kind of long-term delivery on the only stable theme of Luann I've come to rely on the Evanses to deliver.

e:

Tambaloneus posted:

Oh yes I remember that, I wonder if she's retroactively making him a jerk so her character is seen in a more sympathetic light when he leaves, if he does. Mind you her character always seems kind of unhappy most of the time too to be honest. I wonder if she'll include the breakup in the comic.

I believe Foob is no longer being retconned and is instead purely in reruns.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I desperately hope this turns into a Swimfan parody.

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
Rarebit Fiend (click for huge)

Outbusts of Everett True

Whoops Sisters

Good Time Guy (click for big)

Flapper Fanny Says

Feiffer (click for big)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Goldwater#U.S._presidential_campaign.2C_1964
Is "Bang Bang" a reference to this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDTBnsqxZ3k

Jaf

Wee Pals

Andy Capp

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Classic Dinette Set is a package deal.

Working Daze continues the thing nobody wanted him to start in the first place.

Super-Fun-Pak-Comix reminds me of someone, but I can't think of who...

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Julet Esqu posted:

The Heart of Juliet Jones

Why is Bill Murray in the last frame?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Aardmania posted:

Judge Parker

I refuse to believe that "adorably lustful" is a phrase anyone anywhere has ever used.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Your cat needs attention, Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Andertoons

Pluggers

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

Posting tubgirl is a great way to get your point across, Not-Loewis

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

EasyEW posted:

Meanwhile, in the light-hearted and hilarious land of Crankshaft...

So, this then?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnnTqFTHGuc&t=33s

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Phantom Classic

Goodness. That guy's kid has some strong arms.

Radio Patrol

Oh, good heavens. Are we about to get a torture dungeon in our daily funnies?

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

SomeMathGuy posted:

So let me see if I can unpack this (And I'm not sure I can because Luann is nothing if not a dense, impenetrable cascade of bullshit):
  • Luann and Quill spend literal months in a long distance relationship based solely upon their ability to communicate and trust one another.
  • Quill comes back but then leaves (again) but is inexplicably not as trustworthy this time because he keeps talking about Pru.
  • At no point does Luann inquire further about Pru to assuage her mounting fears despite the fact that she already has months of experience RE: the importance of communication and trust to a functioning relationship.
  • Luann and Quill get in a fight because Luann fails to communicate concerns regarding their travel plans and Pru to Quill in a continuation of the previous point. Said fight is their only fight. Ever.
  • Rightly frustrated, Quill finally snaps during said fight and they break up. Somehow it's Quill's fault because shut up.
  • Quill attempts to escape the Evanses goes back to Australia.
  • Luann finds out that literally 100% of her concerns regarding Quill were unfounded (Pru is a lesbian so definitely not engaged in a relationship with him, etc.), which she would know if she had talked to him.
  • For some reason, Quill comes back to where Luann is and not to New York where, y'know, he loving works, because shut up.
  • Now they're both talking and the moral of the story is that they're better off just being friends.
  • Except it's also been established that being casual friends with a member of the opposite sex is automatically detrimental to your future romantic endeavors regardless of all circumstances and that your significant other is completely correct in not trusting you because of said friendships.
Basically we're forced to conclude that thing good? No, thing bad! Unless Luann does thing. Then thing good! This is the kind of long-term delivery on the only stable theme of Luann I've come to rely on the Evanses to deliver.
I don't think he ever went back to Australia after the fight, and I don't think he works in New York. He was involved in a stage show ~somewhere~, which is why he couldn't go to NY with Luann. The reason he's where Luann is is that I think everybody except Rosa and Delta are going to the same college? Or something? Christ I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tambaloneus posted:

The only changes the comic is getting now is minor stuff like adding seatbelts to cars, the real revisions only lasted a very short time. Also, I think the breakup happened about the time the comic ended, or shortly after.

• Locked thread