Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Why does everyone hate Dan Malloy?

Budget crisis causing him to fire people: http://www.wsj.com/articles/dannel-malloy-proposes-new-cuts-to-close-connecticut-budget-deficit-1460508199

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, I'm finding this unbelievable as someone who lives in Raleigh. Like after years of Moral Monday protests and poo poo, they pick the dumbest loving social wedge issue to champion... And then double down on it? Like there's the whole song and dance about how the GOP doesn't govern and then turns around and campaigns on breaking up political gridlock and whatnot... But I think they've been huffing their own farts for way too long.

The issue with HB2 is not only the really dumb bathroom policing (party of small government, everyone), but also the really awful minimum wage and revocation of cities and municipalities from writing and enforcing their own laws with regards to discrimination. However, the politically savvy move is to package everything in one bill, and then have your hand "forced" to remove the obnoxious social thing and ta-dah: you have your awful regressive minimum wage poo poo passed. High fives, wine and cheese for everyone.

But... They didn't remove the obnoxious social garbage... And they're positing that the bathroom garbage is The Real Issue...

It's just so mind numbingly dumb.

I'm loving dogshit at grand strategy games, and I've had more successful campaigns than these True Believers. Like the most naked political manipulation in Crusader Kings 2 is light years beyond what these clowns are capable of.

And keep in mind, the entire GOP is wounded, and instead of hedging their bets, they're doubling down. If this actually keeps up for the better part of 6 months, November is going to be nothing less than a blood bath.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
You say "winner", I say "potatoe".

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/730800909731696641

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

https://twitter.com/AP_Politics/status/730801243451490304

ugghh

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Phone posted:

The only thing that will tank Hillary in the general is if she gets caught with a dead girl or a live boy.

The most reliable indicators are mixed, though. Dick Morris's latest column may be titled "Trump Can Win", but Bill Kristol is still pushing a third party independent run as the best approach.

Morris's latest column is unusually Dick Morris-y if you're bored during lunch, fwiw. He thinks Trump has a shot thanks to increased numbers of whites in the electorate and depressed minority turnout.

(http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/03/2016-electorate-will-be-the-most-diverse-in-u-s-history/)

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Yep here we go with the healthcare poo poo again

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

hosed up if true

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Daniel Bryan posted:

Yep here we go with the healthcare poo poo again

Maybe don't force through a law that's not constitutional?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Phone posted:

Yeah, I'm finding this unbelievable as someone who lives in Raleigh. Like after years of Moral Monday protests and poo poo, they pick the dumbest loving social wedge issue to champion... And then double down on it? Like there's the whole song and dance about how the GOP doesn't govern and then turns around and campaigns on breaking up political gridlock and whatnot... But I think they've been huffing their own farts for way too long.

The issue with HB2 is not only the really dumb bathroom policing (party of small government, everyone), but also the really awful minimum wage and revocation of cities and municipalities from writing and enforcing their own laws with regards to discrimination. However, the politically savvy move is to package everything in one bill, and then have your hand "forced" to remove the obnoxious social thing and ta-dah: you have your awful regressive minimum wage poo poo passed. High fives, wine and cheese for everyone.

But... They didn't remove the obnoxious social garbage... And they're positing that the bathroom garbage is The Real Issue...

It's just so mind numbingly dumb.

I'm loving dogshit at grand strategy games, and I've had more successful campaigns than these True Believers. Like the most naked political manipulation in Crusader Kings 2 is light years beyond what these clowns are capable of.

And keep in mind, the entire GOP is wounded, and instead of hedging their bets, they're doubling down. If this actually keeps up for the better part of 6 months, November is going to be nothing less than a blood bath.

I suspect the reason actually is the transgender thing. They want to effectively make being transgender illegal, and the "other" stuff in the bill was tacked on not as "the real plan", but because they knew it would pass. McCrory literally can't believe that people "want to let men into women's restrooms", so he keeps doubling down because he can't fathom that people disagree with him on this.

Remember, this is the same legislature that put abortion legislation into a bill about motorcycle safety.

edit: If you've forgotten - http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/11/north-carolina-motorcycle-abortion_n_3582006.html

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

cravius posted:

It's been ruled constitutional twice by the Supreme Court. I don't know what the issue specifically is in this ruling but I'm sure it will be appealed.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cythereal posted:

I'm not seriously worried about Florida going red, myself. Not unless Governor Voldemort really ramps up the voter suppression in November.

I am worried that Voldemort and Kasich and McCheese really ramp up voter suppression in November. Urban areas will have fewer and fewer voting locations with fewer actual voting booths compared to 2012 while the rural areas keep their 2012 locations and staffing. Don't look at states, look at counties. Blue counties will get ratfucked.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

cravius posted:

Oh word?

Didn't realize you were a Supreme Court Justice.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Don't worry kids, this time repealing the PPACA will work.

Right after we find out who is Ben Ghazi and what Hillary Clinton emailed on the night of July 7th, 2009.

It's going to work.

It has to work.

This time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which judge, and lol if it's who I think it is.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

WampaLord posted:

Oh word?

Didn't realize you were a Supreme Court Justice.

Yes because the Supreme Court has never been wrong

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

cravius posted:

They're right until they say they're wrong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cravius posted:

Well, right now, they ruled it Constitutional.

That stands until otherwise proven.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

zoux posted:

Which judge, and lol if it's who I think it is.

Reuters posted:

A U.S. judge on Thursday ruled in favor of congressional Republicans who challenged the Obama administration's implementation of President Barack Obama's healthcare law.

Washington-based U.S. District Judge Rosemary Collyer, appointed by Republican former President George W. Bush, ruled that the administration, in implementing the law known as Obamacare, cannot spend funds that Congress did not appropriate. The ruling will not have an immediate effect on the 2010 law because the judge stayed the ruling pending appeal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

She's a FISA judge too lol.

pacmania90
May 31, 2010

cravius posted:

That's not for you to decide.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

haveblue posted:

Wouldn't it be a dead boy or a live girl here?

Um, Vince Foster and Huma haven't taken her down yet.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

eviltastic posted:

The most reliable indicators are mixed, though. Dick Morris's latest column may be titled "Trump Can Win", but Bill Kristol is still pushing a third party independent run as the best approach.

Morris's latest column is unusually Dick Morris-y if you're bored during lunch, fwiw. He thinks Trump has a shot thanks to increased numbers of whites in the electorate and depressed minority turnout.

(http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/02/03/2016-electorate-will-be-the-most-diverse-in-u-s-history/)

That is literally the loving opposite of reality. :psyduck: Has he paid attention to the demographics of the General Electorate over the past 30 years? About how minorities make up a larger share of the voting bloc every 4 years? Is he publishing articles from the 1980s? Whites are not enough to win you the Presidency anymore, especially when you are offended fully half of them by being outrageously sexist toward women. And depressed minority turnout isn't going to happen in this election of all elections considering minorities are facing an existential threat in it.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 12, 2016

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Stultus Maximus posted:

Um, Vince Foster and Huma haven't taken her down yet.

:wow:

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

pacmania90 posted:

Sorry sir, but I do believe that a federal judge just ruled that the administratiom cannot spend money not appropriated by Congress. Checkmate :smugdog:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cravius posted:

Sorry sir, but I do believe that a federal judge just ruled that the administratiom cannot spend money not appropriated by Congress. Checkmate :smugdog:

:shrug: So what? It'll get appealed and likely struck down. I suspect it's not being funded in some shady manner and that the do-nothing GOP is just bored.

But keep clinging to hope. They'll take down the ACA Act this time!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Joementum, objectively the smartest person in this subforum, said repeatedly that Trump winning the nomination would mean "everything that we think we know about politics is wrong."
Reminder that Marco Rubio came within 1.2% of Trump in loving Iowa. For five days, everyone was saying that this was it, we were coming back to reality, and Marco Rubio was going to be the nominee. Apologies were made to Joementum and Nate Silver.
And then the Golden Son of the Establishment was murdered by a vengeful outcast, as the world-ending threat stood not ten feet away, smiling.

quote:

"everything that we think we know about politics is wrong."

That's the part I keep coming back to every time and why I keep asking Joementum for his current thoughts on what's going on now.

I want that emblazoned on my tombstone. No joke. :allears:

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

cravius posted:

pacmania90 posted:

cravius posted:

Huh. Weird how those goal posts got up and walked further down field.

Also, Supreme Court overrules Federal judges numbnuts.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

cravius posted:

I had doubts that PPACA would survive King v. Burwell but this essay convinced me that the law was firmly Constitutional and would survive. I recommend reading it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Study: Trump's trade policies would increase costs of goods by ~30%, severely gently caress over poor/working-class folks

Not that reality matters in this election, but there you go.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The pro-business party of small government, ladies and gents

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Yes it does matter in this election. I'm tired of this talking point that nothing matters because it does. Nothing matters to Trump's base sure, they'll support him if he whips out his dick and pisses on them. But getting hit on things like this in ads and during debates will affect him. But it's not about Trump's base. He cannot use the same strategies in the GE that he used to moonwalk through the primaries. Combined with how detestable he is as a candidate things like this make him look even worse.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CannonFodder posted:

I am worried that Voldemort and Kasich and McCheese really ramp up voter suppression in November. Urban areas will have fewer and fewer voting locations with fewer actual voting booths compared to 2012 while the rural areas keep their 2012 locations and staffing. Don't look at states, look at counties. Blue counties will get ratfucked.

This is what I'm most afraid of. The state Supreme Court didn't give a poo poo about allegations of active voter suppression during the last guber election, and I think Voldemort's only going to double down on it in November.

I almost want Trump to pick Voldemort as VP. Get him out of our hair for a little bit while we pray our next governor will have a soul.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yes it does matter in this election. I'm tired of this talking point that nothing matters because it does. Nothing matters to Trump's base sure, they'll support him if he whips out his dick and pisses on them. But getting hit on things like this in ads and during debates will affect him. But it's not about Trump's base. He cannot use the same strategies in the GE that he used to moonwalk through the primaries. Combined with how detestable he is as a candidate things like this make him look even worse.

And it wasn't a "walk" through the primaries. More people wanted Not Trump than wanted Trump, even in the Republican party. If a strong alternate candidate had managed to rise out of the muck Trump would have disappeared, that just never happened.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/chucklindell/status/730790091862491136

I really didn't think Abbott was going to be as bad as Rick Perry, I really didn't.

You went from a guy who hinted that maybe secession was a good idea to a guy who said Jade Helm was true, man. Jesus.

We here in Ole Virginny went from a slimebag who's in jail to a slimebag who gave voting rights back to people, so I think we're trending well

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That is literally the loving opposite of reality. :psyduck: Has he paid attention to the demographics of the General Electorate over the past 30 years? About how minorities make up a larger share of the voting bloc every 4 years? Is he publishing articles from the 1980s? Whites are not enough to win you the Presidency anymore, especially when you are offended fully half of them by being outrageously sexist toward women. And depressed minority turnout isn't going to happen in this election of all elections considering minorities are facing an existential threat in it.

Dick Morris is a man that has grown to savor defeet. Really that's the only explanation.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The explanation for Dick Morris is that he gets paid to blow sunshine up Republican asses. He's more a propagandist than an analyst.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
https://twitter.com/DrDavidDuke/status/730800126994698240

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

theflyingorc posted:

And it wasn't a "walk" through the primaries. More people wanted Not Trump than wanted Trump, even in the Republican party.

I don't understand why this line keeps getting trotted out - it applies to every republican primary candidate.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That is literally the loving opposite of reality. :psyduck: Is he publishing articles from the 1980s?

If you're unfamiliar, Dick Morris is pretty low hanging fruit for always being wrong about things. Former Clinton staffer who got caught with a prostitute and a foot fetish in the 90s, now part of the right wing noise machine. He mused that Obama wouldn't run in 2012 and was pushing this map in early November.

Also thought Trump would run in 2012 and beat Obama. Basically, he's noteworthy for being wrong enough that it's not just pushing bad numbers to make his target audience feel good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

zoux posted:

She's a FISA judge too lol.

She's also the judge that overturned the Metlife "too-big-to-fail" designation. Fortunately, the she's under the DC Circuit, which now has a majority of Democratic-appointed judges.

• Locked thread