Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

The entire zone is called Nightmare of Mensis no matter what lamp you start at I think. That's completely splitting hairs though.

And you can take the bath teleport for the One Reborn run back. You trade the cramped coffins for dogs.

no, the first part is mensis and post micolash is mergo's loft

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Bubba Smith posted:

I cannot believe people think Dark Souls 3 has better levels "on the whole" compared to Bloodborne.

You asked and this is what you give?

gently caress off. Why would anyone bother to answer if you are just gonna give a condescending rear end answer.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i'll be the guy who says it; Bloodborne has sort of a lovely aesthetic

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Million Ghosts posted:

You have my condolences for your brain issues.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Million Ghosts posted:

you just need to open your eyes

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Bloodborne asthetic was amazing. Like Dark Souls was compared to Castlevania but Bloodborne is like really the closets thing to it being a full fledged 3D castlevania.

(no that lovely Lord of Shadows doesn't count. :v:)

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Shindragon posted:

You asked and this is what you give?

gently caress off. Why would anyone bother to answer if you are just gonna give a condescending rear end answer.

What are you talking about? It isn't "condescending" to say that I agreed with another poster who pointed out the optional areas of Bloodborne that were good & arguably better than DS3, and then to also agree with the other guy that Bloodborne does have some level design that is lacking/too linear/too simple/whatever. But I haven't seen anything posted explaining why Dark Souls 3 has better level design either which is what I was asking. The Profaned Capital is about as pointless as any of the simple areas in Bloodborne, and as previously mentioned places like Smouldering Lake are largely unimaginative too.

I think both games have great levels for what it's worth, I just don't see the argument at all that DS3's is so much better.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Bloodborne like technically looks awesome but i don't like Victorian or chtulhu tentacle beasts so it doesn't do much for me. DS3 doesn't have a particularly great aesthetic either

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I will say in regards to your comments that hypogean gaol isn't really an optional area since it's just a sectioned off portion of yahar'gul that you can get to early. old yharnam is technically optional, but you do actually have to kill either cleric beast or blood-starved beast to get into the cathedral ward and continue the game. bsb is the better way to go since it opens up a part of the ward that you can't get to otherwise, and anyway cleric's method costs 10k echoes and that's lame

idk why you wouldn't kill both anyway but if you were only gonna kill one, I'd take bsb over cleric any day

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I only just started playing this game and I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible. It sounds like poise is a dead stat in DS3, or at least it is for now. Kind of annoying, but I guess that means I can equip the lightest armor possible and go all in on heavy weapons. Are there any other instances of stats not working the way you'd think they would that I should be aware of?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
if I had to say yeah Smouldering Lake reminded me of the level design of Chalice Dungeons and boy that level design was boring.
Archdragon Peak I was fine with, I liked it for what it was. Profane Capital indeed was a bit of disappointment considering how lacking it was and even finding some of the new areas with those huge hands enemies didn't felt like a pay off.

Everything else though I did enjoy alot in Dark Souls 3. I really liked the Grand Archives. Almost reminded me of the Duke's archive. Granted not enough lever pulling like DS1. :v:

edit: Poise seems to be the only problem, so got nuts on the armor.

Also Vit is a really useless stat. It doesn't really provide that much in terms of an increase of weight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

there's a lot of optional lever pulling. like you can move a few bookshelves with levers and get some cool stuff

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Shindragon posted:

Also Vit is a really useless stat. It doesn't really provide that much in terms of an increase of weight.

is there a better way to play Pretty Princess Dress Up Souls 3?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Million Ghosts posted:

is there a better way to play Pretty Princess Dress Up Souls 3?

Basically the rings. That's probably the better way to go with it then dumping souls on Vit.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bubba Smith posted:

Agreed, and Old Yharnam/Hypogean Gaol is also technically an optional area that owns more than any of the optional areas in DS3 and even some of the main areas.

That's true, I forget that Old Yharnam is optional. You either have to kill Cleric Beast and spend a pile of echoes, or go through Old Yharnam and kill BSB, in order to get to Amelia. I think the Old Yharnam route might actually be faster, which is why I forget that it's technically optional.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It doesn't take much to medium roll in the Sunless set for female characters or Legion set for males

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
So how long has the "Poise Working as intended, but gently caress you if you think well tell you what intended IS" statement been upgraded from secondhand games journalism, to a [Developer] Sticky on the Steam forums :psyduck:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

I only just started playing this game and I'm trying to avoid spoilers as much as possible. It sounds like poise is a dead stat in DS3, or at least it is for now. Kind of annoying, but I guess that means I can equip the lightest armor possible and go all in on heavy weapons. Are there any other instances of stats not working the way you'd think they would that I should be aware of?

Every other stat works. And poise is supposedly working, we just have no idea what it does :shrug:. In general, though, absorption doesn't make that much difference, so you're probably best off just wearing armor that you like the look of. What's important is that you have armor equipped in every slot, even if it's just rags, because having 0 absorption in any slot is going to drag down your total defense by a bunch.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Giant seeds just let you pull the mobs into the bonfire sitters, it's a bad move by them. However when they clear the whole level that's another story.

Between those Gank squads and 2-3 guys who refuse to advance into mobs if you're waiting to ambush, I just hit the lie down emote and go do laundry/dishes. I can often go ten+ minutes before they finally advance and kill me and I hear the controller rattling in the other room

Also I think you guys are insane for thinking that 20% absorption from heavy armor isn't worthwhile, but maybe that's just due to not wanting to put points in vit and stay under sl120 for PvP. My one friend tried pvping at sl200 and it's just miserable for him , same 3 guys over and over killing him

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 12, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

mastershakeman posted:

Giant seeds just let you pull the mobs into the bonfire sitters, it's a bad move by them. However when they clear the whole level that's another story.

Eh that depends on where you're invading and where they're camping. If you invade Cathedral of the Deep, there isn't much to drag into the bonfire except for the trash mobs out the door, and they die very easily. If you invade Crucifixion Woods, well, you have a lot more to work with, unless they're camping at the bonfire at the start of the area.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Section Z posted:

So how long has the "Poise Working as intended, but gently caress you if you think well tell you what intended IS" statement been upgraded from secondhand games journalism, to a [Developer] Sticky on the Steam forums :psyduck:

What do you mean upgraded? That's the official word from the devs, per the Bamco community manager, as given by games journalists. Not their interpretation or anything.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Section Z posted:

Because they want people to shut up about it on the forums. Just like the PR rep probably said whatever to get journalists and other ppl to shut up.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

RyokoTK posted:

Eh that depends on where you're invading and where they're camping. If you invade Cathedral of the Deep, there isn't much to drag into the bonfire except for the trash mobs out the door, and they die very easily. If you invade Crucifixion Woods, well, you have a lot more to work with, unless they're camping at the bonfire at the start of the area.

giant seeds in irithyll dungeon are incredibly spiteful but the invader earns everything they get for invading in that hellhole

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

What do you mean upgraded? That's the official word from the devs, per the Bamco community manager, as given by games journalists. Not their interpretation or anything.

Oh, well I guess I read one too many "Well that's a kotaku article so it's probably has no loving idea what they are saying :rolleyes:" posts, then.

Kild posted:

Because they want people to shut up about it on the forums. Just like the PR rep probably said whatever to get journalists and other ppl to shut up.
I'd imagine they would have better luck if they said what it actually did, then :v: (outside of "Not nothing")

Still a futile prospect, people not complaining on the internet. But it would probably help cut down on the merely confused.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 12, 2016

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I pretty much only invade at archdragon, it's a small zone with enemies that do a lot of damage. You can tell really quick where everyone is and not waste time running around

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd say the level design is pretty hit or miss but the core gameplay is the best in the series by far. going to dark souls 3 after bloodborne was a pretty major step back in a lot of ways, even if the level design is way better on the whole here. def the most fun to play to me

I thought DS3's level design and style was a regression from Bloodborne's. I was expecting the game to be more surreal and horrific:

Lothric used to have a gloomy fog, with what became the Pilgrim Butterflies appearing as faint silhouettes above:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Section Z posted:

Oh, well I guess I read one too many "Well that's a kotaku article so it's probably has no loving idea what they are saying :rolleyes:" posts, then.

I'd imagine they would have better luck if they said what it actually did, then :v: (outside of "Not nothing")

Still a futile prospect, people not complaining on the internet. But it would probably help cut down on the merely confused.

if it does nothing how can they say what it does? Besides they can just say "working as intended"

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I will say in regards to your comments that hypogean gaol isn't really an optional area since it's just a sectioned off portion of yahar'gul that you can get to early. old yharnam is technically optional, but you do actually have to kill either cleric beast or blood-starved beast to get into the cathedral ward and continue the game. bsb is the better way to go since it opens up a part of the ward that you can't get to otherwise, and anyway cleric's method costs 10k echoes and that's lame

idk why you wouldn't kill both anyway but if you were only gonna kill one, I'd take bsb over cleric any day

Yeah, I just grouped Hypogean Gaol in there because Darkbeast Paarl leads directly back to the ground floor of Old Yarhnam. I do agree it feels deceiving to say the area is "optional" in the ways that Archdragon Peak from DS3 and Cainhurst Castle from Bloodborne are, but since it is possible to complete the game without it I felt like it was worth mentioning. DS3 unfortunately doesn't have a good comparison, but if for the sake of argument they had a 2nd way to get inside of Irithyll and getting the small doll from the Deacons of the Deep was an optional means of continuing the game then I think Cathedral of the Deep would be a great level to match up with Old Yharnam in terms of design and size.

Toady posted:

I thought DS3's level design and style was a regression from Bloodborne's. I was expecting the game to be more surreal and horrific:

Lothric used to have a gloomy fog, with what became the Pilgrim Butterflies appearing as faint silhouettes above:

While that original atmosphere is extremely my poo poo I can see why FromSoft probably felt having two gloomy as gently caress & horrific games back-to-back might have been a bit much.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

On the whole, making armor matter less is one of the smarter things they took from Bloodborne. It bogged the game down in DS1 and DS2,

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

On the whole, making armor matter less is one of the smarter things they took from Bloodborne. It bogged the game down in DS1 and DS2,

Armor mattering very little works in Bloodborne because there's no equip weight. It feels wrong for it to barely matter in DS3 because there's a whole stat focused around letting you equip heavier armor, and some cool-looking armor that is really heavy. Vitality shouldn't be a fashion tax stat.

I should also point out that this armor and poise situation is basically exactly like Demon's Souls. What makes it sting more is that, in Demon's Souls, equip weight is tied to Endurance like in DS1, and that's a stat you're going to increase no matter what; in DS3, equip weight is its own stat.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
And it means running around wearing nothing like a nutcase isn't too punishing.

Does the NG you're in matter when it comes to matchmaking? If I keep my SL the same and go to NG+1 is that going mess up being summoned/invading?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bleremiah posted:

Does the NG you're in matter when it comes to matchmaking? If I keep my SL the same and go to NG+1 is that going mess up being summoned/invading?

It actually is pretty punishing. The difference between "no armor" and "at least something in every slot" is about 20% damage taken, which is meaningful.

And no, NG doesn't matter for matchmaking. No separations there. It's just SL matchmaking.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Bleremiah posted:

actually wearing nothing is punishing. wearing something is over half your defence.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esOpx7ybPt8

Another Iron Pineapple video. With butts.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
But then I can't be a weirdly skinny dragon

Only thing I really have to worry about is a big weapon parry/backstab. Vigor is a good investment.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Harrow posted:

Armor mattering very little works in Bloodborne because there's no equip weight. It feels wrong for it to barely matter in DS3 because there's a whole stat focused around letting you equip heavier armor, and some cool-looking armor that is really heavy. Vitality shouldn't be a fashion tax stat.

I should also point out that this armor and poise situation is basically exactly like Demon's Souls. What makes it sting more is that, in Demon's Souls, equip weight is tied to Endurance like in DS1, and that's a stat you're going to increase no matter what; in DS3, equip weight is its own stat.

Yeah, that's the unfortunate part. There just is not enough of a reason to accept having a slower roll this time around.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Harrow posted:

It actually is pretty punishing. The difference between "no armor" and "at least something in every slot" is about 20% damage taken, which is meaningful.

this fun fact is why The Master's set is super important early on

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Harrow posted:

Every other stat works. And poise is supposedly working, we just have no idea what it does :shrug:. In general, though, absorption doesn't make that much difference, so you're probably best off just wearing armor that you like the look of. What's important is that you have armor equipped in every slot, even if it's just rags, because having 0 absorption in any slot is going to drag down your total defense by a bunch.

Ah, so armor is about as meaningful as it was in Demon's Souls. Works for me, thanks.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

Ah, so armor is about as meaningful as it was in Demon's Souls. Works for me, thanks.

Yeah, pretty much exactly like Demon's Souls. Wear what looks neat, as long as you're wearing something, and you're fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Toady posted:

Yeah they hosed it up as bad as blizzard did with diablo 3