Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012
It's petty but I've been watching tons of SharePoint videos the last few weeks (because we're starting a project to implement SharePoint and the owner doesn't want to bring in outside consultants to help even though no-one here has ever used SharePoint :suicide:) and of a half-dozen different presenters every one of them says "on premise" instead of "on premises" and I hate them all for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I just hate when you find a ticket with the same problem and it's just *closed* or 'fixed it'

One of my former coworkers was the worst about that. About 75% of the time I found a ticket he had solved I had to message him and ask what he did. It was to the point that the director of IT had several talks with him about it. Eventually he left because the office in his town closed down and he didn't feel like moving to a different state.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I love when co-workers forward spam to me. Especially 3 seconds after I just unsubscribed to it.

AS/400 guy is a different story all together, he replies to EVERY message he gets, and used to sign up for every webinar. And if there was a lunch/golf day locally he'd try to go to that as well. HEY LOOK THIS COMPANY HAS CLOUD EMAIL WE SHOULD TALK TO THEM

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

How are folks dealing with Clutter being turned on by default for everyone? Since we have so many user mailboxes
code:
Get-Mailbox -ResultSize Unlimited | Set-Clutter -Enable $True
doesn't seem to work

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

I've been tasked with "ebaying" our used phones since we are replacing are entire VOIP system with a different one. Is there a reputable vendor that will just buy them from us? The price on refurbished on ebay are already pretty low on ebay never mind undercutting with used gear. I haven't really sold any used equipment before but there has to be places that specialize in refurbishing stuff to turn a profit just waiting for me to give them something to fix.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

pixaal posted:

I've been tasked with "ebaying" our used phones since we are replacing are entire VOIP system with a different one. Is there a reputable vendor that will just buy them from us? The price on refurbished on ebay are already pretty low on ebay never mind undercutting with used gear. I haven't really sold any used equipment before but there has to be places that specialize in refurbishing stuff to turn a profit just waiting for me to give them something to fix.

Are you on a commission?

If not; throw them up there with a shite phone picture and a 2 line description

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pixaal posted:

Strap em all to a pallet, no reserve

Edit: call up the first three or four people you see selling them used and ask if they want more

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My blackberry broke. I'm trying to take it apart to see what i can do because I can only help at this point and the screws are torx. Fine, I already have a tool I got for a Macbook job.

And of course there's one screw that's already stripped before I touched it. Do they do this on purpose or do they just make these out of pot metal so people can't gently caress with it?

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Just let it go man

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Fenrisulfr posted:

we're starting a project to implement SharePoint and the owner doesn't want to bring in outside consultants to help even though no-one here has ever used SharePoint
:rip: your liver.

skooma512 posted:

And of course there's one screw that's already stripped before I touched it. Do they do this on purpose or do they just make these out of pot metal so people can't gently caress with it?
In my experience the hardware quality of Blackberry is downright atrocious. We switched from Blackberries to iPhones about 2 years ago. Previously we'd RMA approximately one BB device per week when it stopped working for no apparent reason. Usually the screen or keyboard gave up the ghost or they'd just randomly brick themselves.

Since the switch the only iPhone replacements I know of have been because someone dropped it in the toilet or cracked the screen.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 12, 2016

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

We started with the 7210, color screen and side spinny thing.

I didn't get one until they came out with the clear trackball one. The 8800 or whatever it was. The ball would fall out or quit tracking right.

Then we started getting the Tour with the black trackball. Those were super lovely. Next up was the Curve and Bold with the trackpad thing, the paint would wear off the trackpad in 2 weeks and the keyboards randomly went out. At that point we started putting people on iPhones but a couple people held out on the BB platform with the Storm which was a huge pile of poo poo. gently caress Blackberry.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

RIM really hosed themselves. They had the market cornered for business and enterprise when it came to security, but they cheaped out on the components or just had really stupid design things. I had a bold I'd never keep it in the holster, so it'd be in my pocket. The trackpad thing would get activated by the inside of my pocket and pocket dial people, text message gibberish, or just navigate all around wreaking havoc.

Solution? Put a password on it! Except the three options on the menu when you have a password on it are Unlock, Emergency, or Cancel. Guess how often I found it one password away from wiping my phone, or pocket dialing 911? Often.

I pitched that fucker for an iPhone and didn't look back.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Part of their deal was they invented all the poo poo that let you surf the internet with a cell phone over what were basically 56k modem speeds. This took a lot of work but it was great. Remember back then you had 64MB of RAM and a 200MHz CPU in your phone, so you couldn't run a real web browser. They also included things like a low-quality camera, and a small screen. They also wouldn't give up the physical keyboard (I loved my BB keyboard and it took me a while to get use to my iPhone 4). They couldn't believe you'd want a real browser, it was so slow, pages are too big, cellular data speeds are too low, etc.

Then Apple walks in with the iPhone, it's got an actual web browser on it, a good camera, a big screen, a battery that could run the drat thing, a touch screen that didn't suck... It was slow and sucked at first but by the time technology really caught up (3GS?) it was so far ahead of anything else out there...

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

spog posted:

Are you on a commission?

If not; throw them up there with a shite phone picture and a 2 line description

Nope, that's why I just wanted to get in touch with a company that just bulk buys used hardware, I don't want to deal with eBay.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

pixaal posted:

If you are in the US, give MetrolineDirect a try... http://www.metrolinedirect.com/assetrecovery.html

While their website may look straight out of 1999, they are a reputable company. Have used them many times both buying new phones and selling old ones.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
In the UK we have places like http://www.mazumamobile.com/ where you bag up your phones, ship them off and they give you money. Granted you won't get much money but it's quicker than auctioning everything, I'm pretty I'm going to have to do this sometime...

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Gazelle does that in the US. You can also trade in an old phone at the ATT store when you upgrade and it's usually competitive with what Gazelle pays.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spazz posted:

RIM really hosed themselves.

Their CEO's entire history of responses to competition has been hilarious.

Jim Balsillie on the iPhone when it was announced in 2007 posted:

"It’s kind of one more entrant into an already very busy space with lots of choice for consumers ... But in terms of a sort of a sea-change for BlackBerry, I would think that’s overstating it."

Good going Jim.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Microsoft continues to gently caress up windows updates in a huge way. Latest fuckup is an update that fucks over asus motherboards. It fucks up secure boot on windows 7. It turns out that all the fixes recommended don't always work.

It also appears they have redone about a few hundred updates, causing my wsus server to download 280+ gigs of redone updates. loving hell.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Serves you right for not immediately pushing Win10 to your entire organization! :downs:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Sickening posted:

Microsoft continues to gently caress up windows updates in a huge way. Latest fuckup is an update that fucks over asus motherboards. It fucks up secure boot on windows 7. It turns out that all the fixes recommended don't always work.

It also appears they have redone about a few hundred updates, causing my wsus server to download 280+ gigs of redone updates. loving hell.

Microsofts patching has gotten so drat bad this year. I cant remember another time that so many bad patches got pulled or revised, it's gotten insane. Seems to be a monthly occurrence now. Just look at KB3148812 that totally broke WSUS.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who needs a QA team?

stevewm
May 10, 2005
There is also a recent one that breaks the DNS service on Windows 2k8 R2... See: https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/4iut0f/heads_up_win2008_r2_microsoft_update_kb3145126/

Extremely Penetrated
Aug 8, 2004
Hail Spwwttag.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Microsofts patching has gotten so drat bad this year. I cant remember another time that so many bad patches got pulled or revised, it's gotten insane. Seems to be a monthly occurrence now. Just look at KB3148812 that totally broke WSUS.

Good news: This month KB3148812 has been replaced by KB3159706, which will also spectacularly break WSUS if you were using SSL. Please follow these simple manual remediation steps which your Microsoft representative has not informed you of!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shuntly posted:

Good news: This month KB3148812 has been replaced by KB3159706, which will also spectacularly break WSUS if you were using SSL. Please follow these simple manual remediation steps which your Microsoft representative has not informed you of!
There's a "long-term fix" in a technet blog post, too. Which is separate from the other two blog posts from last month.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
There's a bad update every month from Microsoft. It's like the prize at the bottom of a cereal box

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

skooma512 posted:

There's a bad update every month from Microsoft. It's like the prize at the bottom of a cereal box

Did you buy your cereal from soviet Russia? Because I actually liked the prizes in my American freedom-loving cereal, tovarich.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
poo poo pissing me off:

I work for a company that has had significant churn. Since I joined last year, the entire IT team including the manager has either changed company or teams. We've now got a new manager, me, another senior engineer and two juniors with a third to follow.

New bossman has decreed that we won't be using Ansible or Puppet for config management. Instead, he wants VM templates for different server types to be cloned as needed. Our estate isn't huge at the moment (20-30 servers) but I've argued that from consistency and security standpoints we should seriously consider using either or both of these technologies.

Denied. The reasons:

- People would be expected to learn how to use Puppet and Ansible. Hmm... ok, but then:
- He's written his own SNMPwalk tool that can check config files (not enforce a predefined state, just check for changes), and
- He wants tools that replicate the functionality of Ansible and Puppet written in Bash, e.g. SSH key pushers, user management. Bonus:
- He wants us to migrate *away* from our existing LDAP infrastructure to go back to local user accounts.

What the gently caress. 2016 and he doesn't want to use config management. Am I in the wrong here, or is he just a complete and utter lunatic?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Woogles posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

I work for a company that has had significant churn. Since I joined last year, the entire IT team including the manager has either changed company or teams. We've now got a new manager, me, another senior engineer and two juniors with a third to follow.

New bossman has decreed that we won't be using Ansible or Puppet for config management. Instead, he wants VM templates for different server types to be cloned as needed. Our estate isn't huge at the moment (20-30 servers) but I've argued that from consistency and security standpoints we should seriously consider using either or both of these technologies.

Denied. The reasons:

- People would be expected to learn how to use Puppet and Ansible. Hmm... ok, but then:
- He's written his own SNMPwalk tool that can check config files (not enforce a predefined state, just check for changes), and
- He wants tools that replicate the functionality of Ansible and Puppet written in Bash, e.g. SSH key pushers, user management. Bonus:
- He wants us to migrate *away* from our existing LDAP infrastructure to go back to local user accounts.

What the gently caress. 2016 and he doesn't want to use config management. Am I in the wrong here, or is he just a complete and utter lunatic?

That man is a complete and utter lunatic. Even if you have a business reason to give everyone local admin rights, you don't stop enforcing GP on them and their systems.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Technically, what he wants can be done but it sounds like he's not going outside his technical bounds and pinching pennies.

I'd get the gently caress out.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
I mean if it's a Windows shop it can all be done with DSC but:

1) It's immature
2) It's just another form of config/state management
3) you already have Ansible/Puppet

Yeah, you've got a loony on your hands. If it ain't broke...

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Woogles posted:

poo poo pissing me off:

Denied. The reasons:

This reeks of the classic "I don't know these technologies therefor lets not use them" line of though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

This reeks of the classic "I don't know these technologies therefor lets not use them" line of though.

He's the anti-management. Where most managers read something in a trade magazine and decides it needs to be rolled to the enterprise ASAP, this guy reads that same article, concludes it's cargo cult, and resists all attempts to consider it.

I'm not a fan of puppet but my job would be a million times harder without it.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Got turned down for a job. The recruiter I was going through accidentally (I think) included the companies email review of me. They were impressed with my answers to all of technical questions, but I "I didnt seem to believe" in their mission statement, and came off as skeptical. Well yeah fuckers, when your mission statement is something to the effect of "instead of profits, furthering gods cause will be the primary metric of success" then I am skeptical. I didnt know I was interviewing at some religious MSP!

Frustrating, I really want to get out the mess I'm in now but the only calls I'm getting for the most part are annoying out of state recruiters and 3 month contract jobs.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Got turned down for a job. The recruiter I was going through accidentally (I think) included the companies email review of me. They were impressed with my answers to all of technical questions, but I "I didnt seem to believe" in their mission statement, and came off as skeptical. Well yeah fuckers, when your mission statement is something to the effect of "instead of profits, furthering gods cause will be the primary metric of success" then I am skeptical. I didnt know I was interviewing at some religious MSP!

Frustrating, I really want to get out the mess I'm in now but the only calls I'm getting for the most part are annoying out of state recruiters and 3 month contract jobs.

Maybe you are a little confrontational? I am only saying that because you have some big red text that might be relevant. It of course could be just a generic "safe" answer to why they didn't want you.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Sickening posted:

Maybe you are a little confrontational? I am only saying that because you have some big red text that might be relevant. It of course could be just a generic "safe" answer to why they didn't want you.

Nah like 10 people got that redtext from some buttmad infosec guy.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I "I didnt seem to believe" in their mission statement, and came off as skeptical. Well yeah fuckers, when your mission statement is something to the effect of "instead of profits, furthering gods cause will be the primary metric of success" then I am skeptical. I didnt know I was interviewing at some religious MSP!

I had a recruiter set me up an interview with a somewhat local company that builds a web filtering product, sounded like the perfect job and then I found out who it was - http://www.covenanteyes.com/

Religious-based group that sells internet filters so you can't violate yourself with porn. I would have never been able to take the job seriously.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Woogles posted:

He wants you to rewrite Puppet in Bash and move away from LDAP?

He is just a complete and utter lunatic. Run.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Moatman posted:

Nah like 10 people got that redtext from some buttmad infosec guy.

7 Layer OSI Dip? I'm sure the guy knows what he's talking about, but every time I've seen him post he ignores all of the earnest questions people ask, preferring to just argue with people that disagree with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

he ignores all of the earnest questions people ask
This is commonly referred to as the "XY Problem".