Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

Not to throw gasoline on the VOIP Wars fire, but what are the rules about goons who aren't in GIRL/WOL? I shoot robots pretty often, but I'm in a different unit and I didn't want to just jump into the mumble channel just because I found it way back in the thread or whatever.

Also, on a less dumb boring topic

I recently realized I still have a 4xCERPPC Warhawk in my bays. Are they still good or should I put like LPLs or something on it?

The WHK isn't awful, but it's worse than pretty much every decent IS assault, and particularly the Stalker at the same tonnage outclasses it in every single way. On the other hand, it's better than every clan assault except the Direwolf, and it's more of just a sidegrade to the DWF.

It does alright with four PPCs, but the thing is that it's just got some really bad problems with the shape of the mech that put it in an awkward situation. It's the same size as the already-fragile DWF but 15 tons lighter, so it gets shredded when anything looks at it funny, which means it's not great at the whole "being up front leading pushes" thing that assaults are supposed to do. But there are some support assaults that take long range weapons like the ER PPC and cLPL and make it work- unfortunately, the Warhawk is a knuckle dragger, you have to expose pretty much everything but your legs to shoot, which makes it really bad at the long range support game too.

If you're determined to run it (and I am, because I'm a retard and value looks & nostalgia more than performance.) the LPLs are definitely going to net you more damage and more kills, but the ER PPCs are definitely more fun. The WHK also gets some minor PPC quirks that make them slightly less useless, and every now and then I have crazy clutch games with it where every shot seems to hit CT and really makes the PPCs shine. Be aware that even with the Warhawk's outrageous number of heatsinks (my build has 28 DHS) you can only fire twice on most maps before you have to retreat to cool off because of the awful clan heatsink capacity. The upside is that you do cool fairly quickly, but the lack of burst damage really hurts a weapon like PPCs that relies on that.

Oh, and definitely hop in even if you're not in WoL/GIRL. I'm not, but whenever I do play with goons, it's always the most fun, even if we lose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Wow I actually got heliosed today. Like, I died instantly to a head shot as I turned in an atlas and watch the lasers track the eye perfectly as the mech fell over. Doesn't happen often but when it does it's pretty frustrating.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
The other thing about the Warhawk--not only is it as big as a Dire Wolf, it looks an awful lot like a Dire Wolf, and people will focus it down as if it's a Dire Wolf

But it's not a Dire Wolf, so that usually ends badly

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I haven't really ran into any sort of Helios malarkey and I almost exclusively run Quick Play solo. Because I'm a masochist.

I headshot an oxide with my vindicator the other day. Was pretty sweet.

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016
Started playing again for the first time after the Steam release. After some bad/mediocre at best games piloting assaults I decided what I really needed to get my head back in the game was to skill up knife-fighting Arctic Cheetahs in solo Quick Play :suicide:

Also, the ACH's piddly pod space (and resulting options of "boat small pulses and shoot butts" or "two large lasers and shoot butts from far away") reminds me that Battletech's weapon balance has always been kind of FUBAR, since the Cheetah has a ballistic and missile hardpoints that it neither has enough slots to boat with or the pod space to do anything meaningful.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I mean, the ACH only gets two M hardpoints anyway and you definitely have the tonnage for 2 SRM6 (or 2 ASRM4) + 4 ER SL, plus ECM and maxed armor.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
I hope everyone in WoL and GIRL knows that we need to EARN BACK the respect of Sader 35, and the previous 34 Saders, and all subsequent Saders

We clearly are not deserving and I for one am devastated

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
huh, figures that discord shilled like that. explains the bunch of people advocating it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Pattonesque posted:

I hope everyone in WoL and GIRL knows that we need to EARN BACK the respect of Sader 35, and the previous 34 Saders, and all subsequent Saders

Sader 404 is my favorite Sader.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

The Urbanmech is a good robot and everyone should have one.

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.

Forums Terrorist posted:

The Urbanmech is a good robot and everyone should have one.

:love:
It's not particularly great at anything, but it's a versatile little guy! That, and it's satisfying getting a kill in it with the Jade Falcon horn.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Pattonesque posted:

I won't be able to sleep tonight because of this.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I'm going to be setting up a staff Mumble server soon to replace TS3. We thought about Discord but said nah.

Well that's the PGI take on VOIP services.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Number19 posted:

I'm going to be setting up a staff Mumble server soon to replace TS3. We thought about Discord but said nah.

You're not in jabber for me to bitch at you about this, but could you maybe pass on that the dropships should be physical objects? During a CW game someone got pretty much murdered before they could even drop.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

That's one of my favourite bugs though. :[

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stringbean posted:

I haven't really ran into any sort of Helios malarkey and I almost exclusively run Quick Play solo. Because I'm a masochist.

I headshot an oxide with my vindicator the other day. Was pretty sweet.

OXIDE: fukken Helios vindicator bitch

My favourite headshot ever was spectating my friend in a legged pre quirk raven 2x, him and an atlas were the last robots alive.

atlas walks right up to him in the water in river city, leeeeans over preparatory to obliterating him

my friend shoots the atlas in the face with a couple of large lasers, killing him instantly

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Number19 posted:

How's that in game VOIP coming along?

Oh, right

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

WebDO posted:

Oh, right

It's been in the game for over a year now :confused:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah in game voip works fine for pubbie herding.

Speaking of pubbies, had my security clearance interview today and the dude sounded familiar. Seems he used to stream MWO a bunch with some brits. I asked if he ever got squawked, and he just started laughing. Turns out he did, and the interview was super cool and funny after that.

That's my nerd story for the day. Thanks for reading.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

WebDO posted:

Oh, right

It's always worked perfectly for me.

Did you try plugging in a microphone?

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
Kinda bummed again, my clanmechs feel like wet paper with inbuilt CT-aimbot for the enemy.
I cant twist away from anything with any mech that has a snout modeled, and i stopped even trying to sway with the direwolf since one "wiggle" takes longer than my weapon cooldowns. In turn i lose shootout against IS-heavies.

Theres hardly a chance to take advantage of the "superior" range of clan weaponry since most maps are built in a way that the enemy can engage under 800m.
Also my large lasers ghost heat with 2 instead of 3 and my cannons spray instead of punching pinpoint.

Please teach me how to clan, i love the mechs but i am appearently too retarded to play them.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
All mechs whether clan or IS can brawl/snipe/etc if they're built right. Omnimechs can do anything. It'd help if you said what you were using in terms of mech and loadout so we can tell you you're dumb help you with tactics and stuff.

I'm about to buy my third MLX :3: I think I'm going to do KFX after I master the MLX.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Guys, let's settle this voice chat nonsense once and for all. I'm setting up a C3 server.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Fil5000 posted:

Guys, let's settle this voice chat nonsense once and for all. I'm setting up a C3 server.

gently caress that. We're all switching to audio morse to communicate mid battle.

We'll only be able to talk one at a time of course so we'll need to nominate control stations and request permission to talk so we don't drown out each other.

Remember your nato phonetics and be sure to address each communication to the appropriate outstation/mech pilot!
:spergin: :byodood: :suicide:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I actually really like my WHKs for some weird reason (probably why I also like urbies, adders, and cicadas) but hadn't played my 4xCERPPC one in a long time. The one I usually roll with is a 2xUAC10 build which is really fun, even if the loadout seems anemic for an assault. I might try switching my Prime to LPLs but it sounds like it's almost just as well sticking with PPCs, and there's something way fun about being able to shoot four of those bastards at once.

I just know that the 4xCERPPC build isn't really listed anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I was being a superbad by running it or just a regularbad. I'm okay with the latter.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The ac20 urbie in scouting gets laughed at by the clans until one of their legs is instantly blown off

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I actually really like my WHKs for some weird reason (probably why I also like urbies, adders, and cicadas) but hadn't played my 4xCERPPC one in a long time. The one I usually roll with is a 2xUAC10 build which is really fun, even if the loadout seems anemic for an assault. I might try switching my Prime to LPLs but it sounds like it's almost just as well sticking with PPCs, and there's something way fun about being able to shoot four of those bastards at once.

I just know that the 4xCERPPC build isn't really listed anywhere, so I wasn't sure if I was being a superbad by running it or just a regularbad. I'm okay with the latter.

I would kill to make a timber with dual-ppc viable just because it looks fuckin badass if you fit them on the same arm.
But i cant get the cooling to work.

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 12, 2016

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I would kill to make a timber with dual-ppc viable just because it looks fuckin badass if you fit them on the same arm.
But i cant get the cooling to work.

Running PPC's in clan heavies is a gimmick build at best, do it to have fun but don't expect it to be optimal. Boating LPL's and ER Med's in a timber is generally the way to go.

Use the stuff on this page as a base and flavor from there: http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/clan-master-guides/timber-wolf/

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I know this, and my timbers are brawler-specced.
I still would love to be able to run PPCs on any (clan)mech and have a good time.

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've been running a PPC and triple medium on my IFR. Shits fun.

I also ran a Dual PPC with a gauss on my Timber. It's fun as gently caress, but as mentioned gimmicky and no where near meta.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.

Stringbean posted:

I've been running a PPC and triple medium on my IFR. Shits fun.

I also ran a Dual PPC with a gauss on my Timber. It's fun as gently caress, but as mentioned gimmicky and no where near meta.

Yeah I'm not trying to poo poo on anyones fun, I love running around in a dual ppc shadow cat. Just pointing out optimal builds bc I don't remember Yolomon posting in the thread and wanting to help mech bros with mech fits.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Super 3 posted:

Yeah I'm not trying to poo poo on anyones fun, I love running around in a dual ppc shadow cat. Just pointing out optimal builds bc I don't remember Yolomon posting in the thread and wanting to help mech bros with mech fits.

Im playing my mechs meta, but it feels boring... its not my build, so even if it performs godly, its still someone elses work.
I usually look for concepts rather than exact specs.
Something out of the meta, that can still compete, thats what im looking for.
Something like dual-PPCs on a timber if they made any sense. Which they dont.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
generally as long as you build your robot to perform a certain role, you will be fine

it's when you start multi-tasking that you get things like "Atlas with LRMs, large lasers, and machine guns"

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I''m installing Roger Wilco right now, whats our server address?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ahdinko posted:

I''m installing Roger Wilco right now, whats our server address?

internet.voice.talking.shite

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I can't find our server on QuakeSpy. halp

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I can't find our server on QuakeSpy. halp

Install All-Seeing Eye, noob.

ptkfvk
Apr 30, 2013

How exactly does Premium time work? Is there a guide to the financial side of MWO? Getting mechs and bays without spending too much real money?

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

ptkfvk posted:

How exactly does Premium time work? Is there a guide to the financial side of MWO? Getting mechs and bays without spending too much real money?

This should hopefully help.

http://metamechs.com/mwo-guides/investing-wisely-using-mc-making-c-bills-mwo/

edit: the hero mech's part may be slightly outdated. But if you want to get some premium time. Get the Locust pack which costs $1 more than a month of premium time, and it comes with a month of premium time ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Number19 posted:

It's been in the game for over a year now :confused:

The joke being it's apparently so bad even :pgi: doesn't use it

• Locked thread