Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Some A.V. Club nerds talk about the cinematography and editing in the last episode:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbHvcPoej2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhombic Drive
Apr 15, 2007

I think Ned never really called Jon his bastard son either, just that he was "his blood".

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Deuce posted:

Internet theory that Jon is the son of Lyanna, not Ned, and that the father was Rhaegar Targaryen.

This theory is twenty years old at this point since the most important circumstantial evidence for it is in the first book, of course. Nerds have had rather a lot of time to elaborate on this stuff.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

R x L = RL Stine

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you think Robert Baratheon was on the line of succession?

Actually yes, his grandmother was a Targaryen so he did have the best claim when all the proper Targs were dead or driven into exile. Which is why the rebellion installed him on the throne instead of someone else, a certain veneer of legitimacy is important when you need the support of a bunch of noble houses who all base their own power on similar ideas of legitimacy by blood ties.

Groke fucked around with this message at 08:23 on May 12, 2016

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Im no expert on the books or the series but wouldn't the fact that twice now in the 'previously on Game of Thrones' segment for S6 we have had a recap of littlefinger and sansa in the tomb explaining who Lyanna was be a very strong indication that the show runners plan on going for the R+L=J angle.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Xealot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if Jon's parentage only carries metaphysical significance, in the war against the White Walkers. Somehow, the notion of Jon willingly playing some political game of "proving" who he is seems antithetical to his character. He's austere and humble like the man who raised him; he's not power-hungry or self-aggrandizing, merely responsible and empathic. That he'd even want to sit on the Iron Throne seems off.

Yeah I basically posted that in the spoiler thread yesterday but I have no idea why anybody thinks Jon will attempt to prove a claim to the throne or that others will try to install him, even if they were married, which they may not have been

It's out of character for him to want to be king unless being brought back to life gave him bad brains, which is possible, but in any case being red priest rezzed is pretty much an absolute guarantee that he's going to die again by the end whether he makes a heroic sacrifice to defeat the Night's King or goes real bad brains and becomes the villain and has to be put down; Mel even says something like "if you want to help him, leave him be"

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Shortest Path posted:

Jon being Rhaegar's son is like 99% confirmed at this point, with all the discussion of him and Lyanna in S5 and S6 and the Bran worging into past memories and poo poo.

The speculation nowadays is whether it will end up mattering at all or if it's just a red herring and everyone gets killed again as usual in the wonderful world of GRRM

I would love it if at the end of this season all the surviving northmen got together and just stabbed him to death again. Just end every season that way from now on.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Nuebot posted:

I would love it if at the end of this season all the surviving northmen got together and just stabbed him to death again. Just end every season that way from now on.

He can just keep spending all off season interviews explaining how he really is dead and him being on set all the time is all an illusion.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Nuebot posted:

Make it like trailer park boys, every season ends with him dying and then the next season begins with him coming back.

Being dead ain't so bad, they got the best weed in purgatory.

Elephanthead posted:

He can just keep spending all off season interviews explaining how he really is dead and him being on set all the time is all an illusion.

That would probably end up killing Kit Harrington. He really didn't seem to like doing that the first time at all.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

what do you think was in that tower ned was breaking into, that bran didn't get to look at?

Probably something hinted in the books that book people keep bringing into this, the non-book thread. I assumed it was Ned's sister getting raped/diced.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
My new theory is Ned was never a great guy and was looking for Lyanna because she was giving birth to their incest baby and he was looking to murder Lyanna and the baby to hide the evidence under the pretense of saving her from Rhaegar. Rhager knowing all this and loving her still was hiding her away as far south as possible.

NS+LS= JS

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Dayne Did Nothing Wrong

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sydin posted:

Who knows how it'll shake out in the books, but D&D are off the rails now doing whatever the hell they want now that we're passed them, so expect Jon to get flayed and turned into the next reek for King Ramsey in the finale.

Do people really think that D&D don't know the major beats of the story going forward and are just making poo poo up? Stannis is dead, deal with it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

zoux posted:

Do people really think that D&D don't know the major beats of the story going forward and are just making poo poo up? Stannis is dead, deal with it.
Stannis will return, as a wight.

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy

Sydin posted:

Who knows how it'll shake out in the books, but D&D are off the rails now doing whatever the hell they want now that we're passed them, so expect Jon to get flayed and turned into the next reek for King Ramsey in the finale.

I thought GRRM told them how the story was going to play out?

turtlecrunch posted:

Probably something hinted in the books that book people keep bringing into this, the non-book thread. I assumed it was Ned's sister getting raped/diced.

Probably something that we've been beaten over the head with in the show. I assumed this was your first episode.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

Na'at posted:

GRRM: Well guys, if it was me I would--

D&D: Whatever, NERD! More nipples and dicks!!!

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Na'at posted:

Probably something that we've been beaten over the head with in the show. I assumed this was your first episode.

Nah, I'm with the other guy, book reader.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

mng posted:

Dayne Did Nothing Wrong

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Sydin posted:

"You know nothing Reek. Except your name."

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Na'at posted:

Why do you think the books are taking so long? GRRM doesn't know how this is going to play out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Na'at posted:

GRRM did tell them how the story was going to pan out, but D&D have shown they don't mind doing their own thing and ignoring what he told them the books are going to do. Like so many book to movie adaptations, they assume that they know better than the original author and that their changes are required because its a different medium. And sure some changes are required, but S1 and S2 managed to be pretty drat faithful to the books, but now we're off the rails and they're doing whatever they think will get the most viewers.

Obama 2012 posted:

GRRM: Well guys, if it was me I would--

Pretty much this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

GRRM did tell them how the story was going to pan out, but D&D have shown they don't mind doing their own thing and ignoring what he told them the books are going to do. Like so many book to movie adaptations, they assume that they know better than the original author and that their changes are required because its a different medium. And sure some changes are required, but S1 and S2 managed to be pretty drat faithful to the books, but now we're off the rails and they're doing whatever they think will get the most viewers.

This is an absurd statement.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I need to change my forum name to Dick Nipple.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You really shouldn't be so mad at a television show. Like, it's fine, dude.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Obama 2012 posted:

- The amount of nudity in the show seems to be going down.
- The earlier seasons were more heavily based on the books.
- GRRM was involved in the writing of episodes in earlier seasons.
- GRRM did not write any episodes this season.

In conclusion; GRRM is the primary source of nipples and dicks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

- The amount of nudity in the show seems to be going down.
- The earlier seasons were more heavily based on the books.
- GRRM was involved in the writing of episodes in earlier seasons.
- GRRM did not write any episodes this season.

In conclusion; GRRM is the primary source of nipples and dicks.

GRRM even has this famous quote about how all he hears about is how vulgar and terrible the sex scenes in his books are while he hears no complaints about the brutal violence depicted in his books. The guy likes sex scenes.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
My White Walker boner needs serious stimulation this Sunday.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Stannis will return, as a wight.

He would need to be dead for that to happen, so no.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

steinrokkan posted:

He would need to be dead for that to happen, so no.

I have a feeling Brienne didn't draw her sword to give him a ticket for loitering.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
What are people's theories that Stannis is alive?

I'm wondering how they are going to justify Brienne not killing him without it being ridiculously uncharacteristic.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
*sword falls down and hits the tree next to stannis*

Brienne
I forgot I need you alive because _________________________________

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
I actually don't want to kill you Stannis, I want to kill the vagina vapor directly responsible for this crime.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bedshaped posted:

What are people's theories that Stannis is alive?

I'm wondering how they are going to justify Brienne not killing him without it being ridiculously uncharacteristic.

He's dead Jim.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
You see she doesn't want to wreck her records of never accomplishing any oaths.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Stannis is dead, but Brienne didn't kill him. She was about to swing the sword when he was suddenly stabbed through the back of the head... by Howland Reed!

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
It was one of the faceless men in disguise and now Stannis has debt owed. A king must now kill Danaerys Targaryen.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Melisandre teleported in and glamoured a random soldier to look like Stannis, then glamoured Stannis to look like Wun Wun and sent him back to Castle Black.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
It turns out Stannis' death was inside us the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Stannis faked his death and is now managing a Cinnabun in Nebraska

• Locked thread