Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

resurgam40 posted:

Yeah, and, uh, perhaps while we're at it, maybe tell people about the perfectly functional bomb shelter that David is in right now and is large enough to accomodate all the people we've met, and more besides? Really? No one's gonna talk about that... why now?

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that thing is miles away from the actual town. If people were capable of getting to it they probably wouldn't need to worry about the tornado.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Why did all of these people come to town to begin with. Aren't a good chunk of them Maxwell students? The school up on the side of the mountain well outside of town!? Who sees a tornado and decides "I need to get me some of that!" like these people apparently did. Why the hell are they still here!

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that thing is miles away from the actual town. If people were capable of getting to it they probably wouldn't need to worry about the tornado.

Yeah, Kate mentions remembering driving for a long time while she was drugged, and Nathan had to pay Frank double to get him to drive out there.

I guess if anybody cared enough, they could check David's GPS co-ordinates and figure out the distance.

GlyphGryph posted:

Why did all of these people come to town to begin with. Aren't a good chunk of them Maxwell students? The school up on the side of the mountain well outside of town!? Who sees a tornado and decides "I need to get me some of that!" like these people apparently did. Why the hell are they still here!

We see Evan, Alyssa and Warren from the school. Evan definitely would have come down to photograph the storm, Warren was presumably in the Two Whales, either eating, or maybe to ask Joyce if she'd seen Max. Not sure why Alyssa was there, but she could be doing any number of things in town.

We also don't know how quickly the tornado appeared - after all, it is some kinda of mystical time travel storm, it could literally appeared out of nowhere.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Surprise Pizza posted:

We also don't know how quickly the tornado appeared - after all, it is some kinda of mystical time travel storm, it could literally appeared out of nowhere.

True enough, I suppose.

ThatPirateguy
Mar 18, 2015
Okay I'll be honest here: I didn't save Alyssa. When you try to help her for the first time here, she looks at Max, remembers how bad stuff happened when she was around, and falls into a hole. The scene is almost like some kind of scene from a sitcom.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Surprise Pizza posted:

Yeah, Kate mentions remembering driving for a long time while she was drugged, and Nathan had to pay Frank double to get him to drive out there.

I guess if anybody cared enough, they could check David's GPS co-ordinates and figure out the distance.
I'm not going to do the full calculation, but it looks like the barn is about 4 or 5km away from everything else.

Here's the list of coordinates, if you care to check it yourself.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I love how Max finally figures out "oh right I won't remember anything pretty soon, better have Chloe tell me everything". I feel like a person reasonably familiar with time travel stories would gently caress up reality in one day rather than five, so there's that.

Also, Max walking through the storm rescuing people is a pretty awesome setpiece, and basically cements the Max Caulfield: Superhero story that's been running through the game. However all this turns out, Max is a loving badass now.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

QuoProQuid posted:

It's also meteorologically impossible, so I guess we have time to thank for that.

Well technically so is a snowstorm in 80 degree weather, an eclipse with a moon that's in the wrong spot in its orbit and a second full moon next to the first, but what do those darn meteorologists know?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Max herself said she was loving up alternate realities. I think she's just trying to leave the best reality she can behind, before she jumps away from it.

How many terrible timelines have we left in our wake? There's at least two different realities where we are trapped with Mr. Jefferson. Then there's probably another where alt-Max wakes up next to her dead best friend with no idea how she got there. I assume Art Gallery Max is having a panic attack as she realizes that she cannot jump back through her gallery piece and save her best friend.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Well technically so is a snowstorm in 80 degree weather, an eclipse with a moon that's in the wrong spot in its orbit and a second full moon next to the first, but what do those darn meteorologists know?

If anyone survives the apocalypse, I imagine the ruins of Arcadia Bay will be a really fascinating place to study.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

They're probably the ones behind the tornado. This is all a power play by the big meteorologist unions.

Surprise Pizza
Mar 21, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

How many terrible timelines have we left in our wake? There's at least two different realities where we are trapped with Mr. Jefferson. Then there's probably another where alt-Max wakes up next to her dead best friend with no idea how she got there. I assume Art Gallery Max is having a panic attack as she realizes that she cannot jump back through her gallery piece and save her best friend.

My interpretation is that we're altering a single timeline, not creating multiple divergent ones.

chiasaur11 posted:

They're probably the ones behind the tornado. This is all a power play by the big meteorologist unions.

Well, they seem to have managed to get eclipses as classed as "weather", so maybe you're right.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

You clearly didn't appreciate Twister, the gem of 90s disaster movies :colbert:

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

You clearly didn't appreciate Twister, the gem of 90s disaster movies :colbert:

There's no way this game is going to end with Max and Chloe sharing another tender notgay moment upside-down strapped to some deep running pipes and mysteriously safe from being ripped to shreds by debris, so that means there's also no way I am not going to be disappointed in the ending :saddowns:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well yeah. When they do that it's going to be super gay.

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

Hello good morning! It's Monday which means it's a :siren: NEW VIDEO :siren:

:siren:In today's update, let's enjoy a nice fall day out on the campus! We chat with some friends and have a nice time.:siren:

Our poll today is over here: closed!

Here are the new journal pages!

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I love how victoria just spontaneously grows a couple cms at 10:20 lol

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
well, the one good thing about the whole going backwards stuff is that if Nathan's gonna shoot again, he's gonna shoot backwards and hit himself.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

:five:

(although I am disappointed you didn't do any rewinding in the backwards section to let us hear what the people were saying)

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I can't believe that Max is ██████████████████████████████████████

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
kool

Panzer Skank
Jan 12, 2004

He's a regular-crab.
Not, like, a sex-crab.

GlyphGryph posted:

:five:

(although I am disappointed you didn't do any rewinding in the backwards section to let us hear what the people were saying)

it's the same as the first time through the scene! i wish i had rewound a little to show it off though haha.

I did read somewhere that samuel is supposed to be talking forwards, but when I approached him in a different recording he was speaking backwards the same as everyone else. I think it might have been a bug that was fixed.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Your commentary as well as Kaubocks' and the other commentator's (I'm not sure who that was sorry) was really great for this part

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Okay, 1) I love that Frank remembers what you did to his beans, and 2) Pompidou's text message was brilliant!

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
W...What.

What?!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Do you feel like a hero yet?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Everything is fine.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the opening sequence of episode 5 didn't stick with me as much because Tales was my first Borderlands game, so I didn't grasp the full scope of Helios falling. It is a pretty nice intro though.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Of all the games I expected to be reminded of when I started watching this LP, this sure as hell wasn't one of them.

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

The hunters are all men that frighten Max. Their dialogue changes based on how many of them you killed/kissed.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Inferior posted:

The hunters are all men that frighten Max. Their dialogue changes based on how many of them you killed/kissed.

How many of them can you do that to? I know you can get Frank and Jefferson killed, and you can kiss Warren in the diner there at the end. Is there a path we didn't see any of that somehow ends up with Max making out with Frank...?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I love how silly-creepy the dialogue of the people in the Nightmare get, like the principal remarking "after I get my drink on". I kind of wish they did more with this part across the game but I do like it for what it is: the darkest moment.

The LP narration for this was on point too.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

:colbert:

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
Oh man, so my favourite trope in time travel stories is when they go back to the beginning of the story. LiS already did that, but I didn't expect the LiS LP to do it too!

Hopefully we get some explanation as to what the gently caress just happened. Maybe Max just passed out from exhaustion and this is a real nightmare, not some time fueled one? ?eil a si eod ehT

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

SgtSteel91 posted:

Your commentary as well as Kaubocks' and the other commentator's (I'm not sure who that was sorry) was really great for this part

Hi that was me! Glad it seems to have had the intended effect!

Inferior
Oct 19, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

How many of them can you do that to? I know you can get Frank and Jefferson killed, and you can kiss Warren in the diner there at the end. Is there a path we didn't see any of that somehow ends up with Max making out with Frank...?
They're the only ones you can kill or kiss (and they mention it if you did), but there's a few other things that change in the nightmare depending on your past actions. Like Frank will yell about it if you killed Pompidou, or Warren will have different lines if you were an rear end in a top hat to him (I don't think he gets that line about being an alpha if you stop him beating Nathan). I remember they also originally planned to have William hunt you in the nightmare as well, calling out at Max for killing him.

The biggest change comes if you let Kate kill herself back in ep2. Her school desk is drenched in blood in Jefferson's classroom, and when you meet her in the dorms she tells Max that as a suicide she'll be trapped in hell alone forever.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I don't like to see it as "letting" kate kill herself rather as failing to save her

Dingwall
Feb 28, 2016

Inferior posted:

The biggest change comes if you let Kate kill herself back in ep2. Her school desk is drenched in blood in Jefferson's classroom, and when you meet her in the dorms she tells Max that as a suicide she'll be trapped in hell alone forever.

this makes me really sad for kate :c

i managed to save her so i too got what panzer got. also, i remember really liking this part of the game mostly because this is what i really wanted the game to go with. Like, when the birds starting hitting the windows and stuff. It reminded me of LOST and dark skies. and all the timelines getting meshed together and stuff. it's neat and i wanted much more of this.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

?EIFLES DENMADDOG ENO NI NRUT OT TI SI DRAH GNIKCUF WOH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldataluta
May 31, 2012
I really love this section of the game. It was creepy and unexpected when I first played. Even if the stealth section got really annoying after a while. It turns out I am not good at stealth sections.

In other news, I just noticed that Jefferson's text goes full creepypasta and has a 6:66 timecode.

• Locked thread